Jump to topic:

Religiosity and the UFO phenomenon

SemperVI
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 1:03:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The topics in this section have been pretty stale lately. I figured I would try to start a thread I have not seen discussed much -- other than a footnote of another discussion.

Regarding the UFO/extraterrestrial phenomenon, I often read that

- This unequivocal discovery would destroy all religions and the notion of God
- It will cause mass social hysteria

I'm not asking if you believe in this phenomenon - personally, I don't have much of an opinion and truth be told, I don't even care if they exist or don't exist. I am just curious what some of your opinions are. Are the reasons above valid or nonsense? What makes you think or believe this?

I believe our collective arrogance regarding "all things" would be exposed for what it is in the event extraterrestrials became evident. I also believe this would more than likely have a larger, more dramatic impact on geo-politics and existing science as we understand it. Any thoughts?
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 1:13:10 PM
At 4/13/2014 1:03:43 PM, SemperVI wrote:
The topics in this section have been pretty stale lately. I figured I would try to start a thread I have not seen discussed much -- other than a footnote of another discussion.

I'm not asking if you believe in this phenomenon - personally, I don't have much of an opinion and truth be told, I don't even care if they exist or don't exist. I am just curious what some of your opinions are. Are the reasons above valid or nonsense? What makes you think or believe this?

I believe our collective arrogance regarding "all things" would be exposed for what it is in the event extraterrestrials became evident. I also believe this would more than likely have a larger, more dramatic impact on geo-politics and existing science as we understand it. Any thoughts?

You speculate on something that doesn't exist. It's science fiction of course and isn't scientifically logical. However, finding some evidence of other lifeforms that are not of an earthy origin is something on which it is worth speculating. It's entirely possible and in my estimation probable within the next couple of decades, if not sooner.

To that, my answer would be, it would have no influence in the least. Religious faith will not be destroyed by evidence. Faith can survive any and all evidence to the contrary. We have ample proof of that fact already.
Keltron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 1:44:34 PM
"Religious faith will not be destroyed by evidence."

True. Faith is necessary for the preservation of institutional functionalism which by its very nature is insulated against evidence based reasoning.
ironsmile360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2014 10:09:23 PM
At 4/13/2014 1:13:10 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/13/2014 1:03:43 PM, SemperVI wrote:

You speculate on something that doesn't exist. It's science fiction of course and isn't scientifically logical. However, finding some evidence of other lifeforms that are not of an earthy origin is something on which it is worth speculating. It's entirely possible and in my estimation probable within the next couple of decades, if not sooner.

To that, my answer would be, it would have no influence in the least. Religious faith will not be destroyed by evidence. Faith can survive any and all evidence to the contrary. We have ample proof of that fact already.

The Bible seems to answer your question in all aspects... Read the prophet Ezekiel's encounter in Ezekiel 1:4- 1:24.
Ironsmile360
laocmo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 8:34:42 AM
...This unequivocal discovery would destroy all religions and the notion of God."

If they announced that over the millennia they had definitely created us by genetic modifications using their own DNA and maybe that of an early ape, that would certainly explain a lot about where we came from. "Let us make man in our likeness....." If they explained that they had given us the ten commandments, sent Jesus, Mohamed, etc. to point out to us the right path, I would find that comforting. But I would instantly stop belief in the mysterious almighty God that I have been taught to believe in. Next I would ask them to tell me their own history ie. where did they come from?

"... It will cause mass social hysteria."

No! They would probably have a cure all our diseases, and tell us how to save our planet. That would be a good thing.
The only people who would panic are the hard core fundamentalists who would call them demons and most likely try to kill them as the anti-Christ.
ironsmile360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:57:39 PM
At 4/16/2014 8:34:42 AM, laocmo wrote:
...This unequivocal discovery would destroy all religions and the notion of God."

If they announced that over the millennia they had definitely created us by genetic modifications using their own DNA and maybe that of an early ape, that would certainly explain a lot about where we came from. "Let us make man in our likeness....." If they explained that they had given us the ten commandments, sent Jesus, Mohamed, etc. to point out to us the right path, I would find that comforting. But I would instantly stop belief in the mysterious almighty God that I have been taught to believe in. Next I would ask them to tell me their own history ie. where did they come from?

No! They would probably have a cure all our diseases, and tell us how to save our planet. That would be a good thing.

YOU'RE JOKING... RIGHT???
A highly advanced civilization coming to our planet to show us (still) primitive life-forms how to better ourselves? Seriously... Come on now... How much time & effort have you yourself taken to enrich the lives of a group of cockroaches?

Bottom line- we will either be enslaved or eradicated or placed in a study tank & dissected over a millennia... OR be made into a consumable source of nutrition for your so called saviors. Your view on our evolutionary state of being, in regards to the rest of the universe is, at best, myopic.
You can go running into their arms if you want ... Me?.. I'm going to raid my nearest Walmart for a cart full of Twinkies, grab my shotgun, extra ammo, a fat blunt, and wait for your buddies in my living room, because I ain't living my life as some alien concubine, a lab rat or a pet for some juvenile alien, and I sure as heck ain't combo dinner #6 for no alien race.
Ironsmile360
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 6:26:30 PM
At 4/16/2014 5:57:39 PM, ironsmile360 wrote:

A highly advanced civilization coming to our planet to show us (still) primitive life-forms how to better ourselves? Seriously... Come on now... How much time & effort have you yourself taken to enrich the lives of a group of cockroaches?

Bottom line- we will either be enslaved or eradicated or placed in a study tank & dissected over a millennia... OR be made into a consumable source of nutrition for your so called saviors. Your view on our evolutionary state of being, in regards to the rest of the universe is, at best, myopic.
You can go running into their arms if you want ... Me?.. I'm going to raid my nearest Walmart for a cart full of Twinkies, grab my shotgun, extra ammo, a fat blunt, and wait for your buddies in my living room, because I ain't living my life as some alien concubine, a lab rat or a pet for some juvenile alien, and I sure as heck ain't combo dinner #6 for no alien race.
Man...I couldn't agree with you more.

What makes people think that if an alien race were to come to earth that they would cater to us? I think The Twilight Zone hit the nail on the head with that episode "To Server Man".
ironsmile360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 8:25:58 PM
At 4/16/2014 6:26:30 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 4/16/2014 5:57:39 PM, ironsmile360 wrote:

Man...I couldn't agree with you more.

What makes people think that if an alien race were to come to earth that they would cater to us? I think The Twilight Zone hit the nail on the head with that episode "To Server Man".

+1 to that bud. Rod Serling had some truth there. DOESN'T ANYONE WATCH TV OR SCI-FI MOVIES??? LOL
Ironsmile360