Jump to topic:

Missionaries And Remote Tribes

RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 11:10:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
How can peoples far removed from the Near Middle East and the West have known anything about the Gospel message before western missionaries arrived? How can they be held accountable to a Creator that requires a belief in His Son that they never heard of? Or......have they?

Fortunately, grass roots research has been done by those who have walked the walk. Mainly, have gone to live with some remote tribes like Don Richardson who took his family into Western New Guinea to bring the Gospel to Irian Jayan peoples.

I think it's widely assumed that tribes have designated a particular god that is merely their version of a supreme creator. And that there's never any challenges to their beliefs within their tribal community. Here is an example:

Pachacuti, king of the Incas from 1438 to 1471, restored one of the temples of the god worshipped by all his people " the sun. But he began to have doubts. He noted that a mere cloud could dim this "god." The sun did nothing but the same thing over and over, acting more like a laborer than a god. His observations brought the conclusion that the sun is neither universal, nor perfect, nor all-powerful. In Inca tradition there was a vague memory of Viracocha, the omnipotent Creator. Pachacuti"s own father had had a dream in which Viracocha reminded him that he truly was the Creator of all things.

Deciding that the Creator, not the sun, was worthy of worship, Pachacuti met with the sun priests. He told them that the Creator is supreme and uncreated. He made all spirits and all peoples by his word. He manifests himself as a trinity when he wishes but otherwise he is surrounded only by archangels and heavenly warriors. He warms the world through his created sun. He brings peace and order. He is in his own being blessed and he has pity on people"s wretchedness. He alone judges and forgives and enables people to overcome their evil tendencies. From now on, Pachacuti commanded the aristocracy, the sun was to be regarded, like humanity, as created and that prayer was to be directed to Viracocha with awe and humility. (33-41)

http://www.net-burst.net...

It's been stated that God does not judge man by what he doesn't know, but by what he does know. It would appear from missionary research that even remote tribes have an understanding of a choice to be made. If you read the various examples on this website, there are intriguing similarities between visions and dreams people have had by those who never heard of the Bible, and the Gospel message contained in the Bible.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 12:09:41 PM
At 4/14/2014 11:10:49 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
How can peoples far removed from the Near Middle East and the West have known anything about the Gospel message before western missionaries arrived? How can they be held accountable to a Creator that requires a belief in His Son that they never heard of? Or......have they?

Fortunately, grass roots research has been done by those who have walked the walk. Mainly, have gone to live with some remote tribes like Don Richardson who took his family into Western New Guinea to bring the Gospel to Irian Jayan peoples.

I think it's widely assumed that tribes have designated a particular god that is merely their version of a supreme creator. And that there's never any challenges to their beliefs within their tribal community. Here is an example:

Pachacuti, king of the Incas from 1438 to 1471, restored one of the temples of the god worshipped by all his people " the sun. But he began to have doubts. He noted that a mere cloud could dim this "god." The sun did nothing but the same thing over and over, acting more like a laborer than a god. His observations brought the conclusion that the sun is neither universal, nor perfect, nor all-powerful. In Inca tradition there was a vague memory of Viracocha, the omnipotent Creator. Pachacuti"s own father had had a dream in which Viracocha reminded him that he truly was the Creator of all things.

Deciding that the Creator, not the sun, was worthy of worship, Pachacuti met with the sun priests. He told them that the Creator is supreme and uncreated. He made all spirits and all peoples by his word. He manifests himself as a trinity when he wishes but otherwise he is surrounded only by archangels and heavenly warriors. He warms the world through his created sun. He brings peace and order. He is in his own being blessed and he has pity on people"s wretchedness. He alone judges and forgives and enables people to overcome their evil tendencies. From now on, Pachacuti commanded the aristocracy, the sun was to be regarded, like humanity, as created and that prayer was to be directed to Viracocha with awe and humility. (33-41)

http://www.net-burst.net...

It's been stated that God does not judge man by what he doesn't know, but by what he does know. It would appear from missionary research that even remote tribes have an understanding of a choice to be made. If you read the various examples on this website, there are intriguing similarities between visions and dreams people have had by those who never heard of the Bible, and the Gospel message contained in the Bible.

He doesn't seem to supply any corroborating evidence for his claims.

But the religious don't need that stuff.

Just tell 'em something that supports their presuppositions and their off and running.

Would you like me to write you a story about thetans, oh bugger already done.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 1:35:13 PM
How can peoples far removed from the Near Middle East and the West have known anything about the Gospel message before western missionaries arrived? How can they be held accountable to a Creator that requires a belief in His Son that they never heard of?

According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, there is no way you will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:20

Bible seems to say that also pagans could be righteous, even though they would not have heard of Jesus.

for when Gentiles who don't have the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience testifying with them, and their thoughts among themselves accusing or else excusing them in the day when God will judge the secrets of men, according to my gospel, by Jesus Christ.
Romans 2:14-16
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2014 8:07:55 PM

everyone is capable of fear and hope...
nothing special about believing in a supreme being who will protect you, cause one is all that
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 8:45:24 AM
At 4/14/2014 1:35:13 PM, 12_13 wrote:
How can peoples far removed from the Near Middle East and the West have known anything about the Gospel message before western missionaries arrived? How can they be held accountable to a Creator that requires a belief in His Son that they never heard of?

According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, there is no way you will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:20

Bible seems to say that also pagans could be righteous, even though they would not have heard of Jesus.

for when Gentiles who don't have the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience testifying with them, and their thoughts among themselves accusing or else excusing them in the day when God will judge the secrets of men, according to my gospel, by Jesus Christ.
Romans 2:14-16
Amen!
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 8:46:36 AM
At 4/14/2014 8:07:55 PM, perplexed wrote:

nothing special about believing in a supreme being who will protect you, cause one is all that
I'm in partial agreement with you.
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 9:51:38 AM
At 4/15/2014 8:46:36 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

partial agreement?
do you think you are all that?
or you are not capable of fear and hope?

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 10:04:21 AM
At 4/15/2014 9:51:38 AM, perplexed wrote:

partial agreement?
Do I think I'm all what?

And yes, I am capable of fear and hope.
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 11:20:12 AM
At 4/15/2014 10:04:21 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 4/15/2014 9:51:38 AM, perplexed wrote:

partial agreement?
Do I think I'm all what?
do you think the universe was created with you in mind?

: