Jump to topic:

Our Role Among It All

Anatta
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 7:42:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I find it useful to keep in mind that I have picked up habits, thoughts, and attitudes of others; for this has profound implications. It reveals that I have the same effect on others and I have directly witnessed such. This is testimony to the doctrine that not only does causality permeate everything, but that it is everything - propagated by mind, thus phenomena can only be defined through relationships. This reveals what we are responsible for - everything. The relevant device is 'intention', and choice (action) the mechanism. This is my understanding of karma. And a thorough investigation into such leads to the revelation that it (karma) has a dynamic, subject to the various skill levels of the participants wielding free-will, and more importantly skill can be developed by particular exercises and disciplines; I am convinced it is these very exercises and disciplines that many sages of the past labored to convey to humanity, including but not limited to: Jesus of Nazareth, Siddhartha Gautama of India(The Buddha), St Francis of Assisi, Milarepa of Tibet, Rumi of Persia, and St Anthony the Great of Egypt.

To me religion does not mean devotion, veneration, or worship - but actual practice in living (which could be argued is true veneration) - especially universal compassion, unconditional and unconditioned love, and supreme understanding born of empathy. Since those are "boundless-all-encompassing" qualities this means to me that there is no place for the cognition of division, differentiation, or fragmentation. Which has led me to theorize that the"Supreme Good of God" St. Anthony, St. Francis, Rumi, and Jesus consistently extolled, served as the same mental catalyst allowing their exaltation, as the contemplative objects of concentration and absorption used by Buddhist and Brahman meditation practitioners which allow the same. Who preaches as they did with such conviction without being completely concentrated and absorbed in the very thing they were professing? The notions of Kingdom of Heaven, God, and other aspects of Abrahamic religions are but beliefs and ideas until one actually puts the effort to focus on these with so much concentration that differentiation between the observer and the observed is completely dissolved (I and the Father are one). Effort, discipline, exercise, focus, and concentration - this means work and activity, not a passive attitude awaiting some afterlife reward.

We achieve Salvation through Jesus not by devotion, but by emulation. This is why I"m convinced that we are each responsible for our own emancipation and salvation, so I reject the notion of being saved at the hands or work of others, including God (recall the parable of the drowning man who refused help saying "God will deliver me" then died?), because this leaves room for excuses to behave unprincipled, which won"t matter as long as you accept an idol and be sorry by the time you die. No true doctor would promise to cure you only after the disease killed you.

Concluding that every sage or prophet and messiah that has ever been were not idols to devote to, but teachers to learn from, leaders to follow, and they were all showing us different paths to the same mountain peak. To me this is a beautiful picture which fits perfectly in the Theravada-Buddhist framework; their techniques if properly exercised give birth to the qualities asked of us to develop by so called "God".