Jump to topic:

Why sacrifice ???

laocmo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 3:31:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I never got a good explaination for this question so I'll try again. "What exactly separates the ideas of biblical sacrifices from the sacrifices of the ancient Mayans to satisfy their god ??" PLEASE: Don't quote scripture. I want your opinions, not a bunch of memorized stuff from your bible school studies.
TheOncomingStorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 3:51:01 PM
At 4/15/2014 3:31:11 PM, laocmo wrote:
I never got a good explaination for this question so I'll try again. "What exactly separates the ideas of biblical sacrifices from the sacrifices of the ancient Mayans to satisfy their god ??" PLEASE: Don't quote scripture. I want your opinions, not a bunch of memorized stuff from your bible school studies.

You don't want scripture included? Then why even ask the question? You're literally asking for people to say whatever they think is the answer and not what actually is the answer. Now scripture can be interpreted in different ways, but that doesn't mean it's a bad starting place either. You need evidence to back up a claim. I could say, " Because God really likes to have leg of lamb for dinner," but my claim would be entirely unsupported.
Official "Director of Weather and Hyperbole in the Maximum Degree of Mice and Men" of the FREEDO bureaucracy.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 3:57:56 PM

I think the OT sacrifices were not made so that God would then reward people. I think the OT sacrifice practice developed from that people wanted to offer sacrifice to God, because they were grateful or to show that they regret.

And if you speak about the sacrifice that Jesus made I would say that the sacrifice was that Jesus used his life for our benefit. And that can be compared to that soldier sacrifices his life for his country by defending the country. I think it is different thing than killing person to please God. I think God has never really wanted sacrifices. But they have pleased him if they have been done in right mind.

But if you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the guiltless.
Matthew 12:7

The sacrifice that Jesus made was that he used his life to teach us and to show great example of faithfulness and love. And because of it, I have also now sacrificed my time for you. If you want to thank, thank Jesus and god, because it is their credit :)
laocmo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 7:30:09 PM
I said NO scripture, I only want your opinion given as an intelligent person, not some brainwashed person who has memorized a lot of scripture. Is the Mayan sacrifices really any different that that in the old and new testaments. If the priests had not burned all the Mayan texts we might have some evidence that their beliefs were as valid as ours.
TheOncomingStorm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 8:39:56 PM
At 4/15/2014 7:30:09 PM, laocmo wrote:
I said NO scripture, I only want your opinion given as an intelligent person, not some brainwashed person who has memorized a lot of scripture. Is the Mayan sacrifices really any different that that in the old and new testaments. If the priests had not burned all the Mayan texts we might have some evidence that their beliefs were as valid as ours.

How can I tell you then?

Give me an explanation of evolution using no scientific evidence, no fossil records, no websites or book sources. Everything you've learned about evolution will be excluded from your explanation. You may literally say nothing that someone else told you in any way shape or form.

But it doesn't work like that, does it? No, you will not get a good answer until you allow people to use evidence. Until then, your request is anti-intellectual at best.
Official "Director of Weather and Hyperbole in the Maximum Degree of Mice and Men" of the FREEDO bureaucracy.
HPWKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 8:45:04 PM
I'm not a theist, but I responded to your original post, for which no substantive rebuttal was offered. I'll post it again.

1.) If doing/suffering these "sick" acts results in involved persons being rewarded with the ultimate eternal good (heaven), then it can follow that such acts are morally justified.

2.) The question presupposes God exists, and if we are talking about an all-powerful omniscient God, then it can follow that acts of "sick" sacrifice are morally justified, simply because such a God commanded they be done.
Feelings are the fleeting fancy of fools.
The search for truth in a world of lies is the only thing that matters.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 8:14:07 AM

I would say that it was the purpose of the sacrifice. In pagan religions sacrifice was generally to incur some favour of the particular god. i.e. People would sacrifice their first born son to Moloch to ensure bountiful crops for his life. Whereas the Jewish sacrifices were prefigurements to the sacrifice of Christ on the cross to atone for our sins.

Pagan religions understood that worship without sacrifice is hollow. In fact Ghandi noted this in his "Seven Blunders of the World".

The difference is that pagan sacrifice was about getting something from the gods, and Jewish / Christian sacrifice is about repairing your relationship with God. Pagans gave something of theirs to the gods, Christians and Jews acknowledge that everything is God's to begin with.
subgenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 8:30:15 AM

What separates the to is what you seemingly do not want to allow into the discussion, and that is their respective theologies.
otherwise
"it is the gift which procures propitiation"