Jump to topic:

Atheism is a religion

Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 2:08:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Atheism is a religion. Religions are so named because they require people to worship together and are fixated on certain texts, etc, which they treat as infallible. Atheism has achieved all of this;

1. group congregation: atheshits do this all the time in "free-thought" meetings and university campuses, where denying certain theoretical scientific models is seen as heresy.
2. persecution of heretics: see the case of Anthony Flew, atheists who abscond from the atheist movement are subject to slander by other atheists
3. proselytization of heretics via prophets like Dawkins and Hitchens: both these people popularize their message and preach at believers regularly

Atheism is a religion.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:34:51 PM
At 4/20/2014 2:08:08 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheism is a religion. Religions are so named because they require people to worship together and are fixated on certain texts, etc, which they treat as infallible. Atheism has achieved all of this;

Are you a troll? I still can't figure it out. My guess is either..

A. You are a complete troll
B. You are being 100% serious and are a theist
C. You are a deist or agnostic who takes issue with more 'extreme' secularism.

1. group congregation: atheshits do this all the time in "free-thought" meetings and university campuses, where denying certain theoretical scientific models is seen as heresy.

You understand that most atheists and agnostics do not go to meetings. I don't separate out times in the day for atheism. Sometimes I watch religious documentaries, though they are not always critical of religion and mostly informative about the belief structures, but I do not attend free thought meetings. Most atheists I know don't do that. Yes there will always be people who will enjoy doing that, but it is relatively minor in the secular community.

2. persecution of heretics: see the case of Anthony Flew, atheists who abscond from the atheist movement are subject to slander by other atheists

Everyone is subjected to slander. In the internet era, anyone who is known to the world will get criticized by everyone for any reason. I would agree that reverting to theism is irrational, but when you have massive numbers of people, some will go to move to certain religious groups and some to atheism. No matter what most people are doing, some people will go against the current. And since when do we persecute? When do atheists (not internet trolls and stupid people, but intellectual atheists and/or notable atheists like Dawkins of even TJ Kirk or Dusty Smith) seriously advocate for religious people to be descriminated against? They might say religion is stupid, but they are always for the protection of religious freedom, both freedom to practice a religion, and freedom to not practice a religion.

3. proselytization of heretics via prophets like Dawkins and Hitchens: both these people popularize their message and preach at believers regularly

Every philisophical movement has leaders. People who devote time and energy to thought and science in that area. They help us to create better arguments, they debate the theists, they are the ones who publicize the atheist movement. Without people who are 'full time atheists', atheism would not be as far recognized as it was. Until I saw them and what they did, I was an agnostic, until they told me what my position actually was.

Atheism is a religion.

You don't understand religion. (I know about the new 'no insult policy'. Imagine I said something offensive.)
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 11:30:00 PM
At 4/20/2014 2:08:08 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

So do political parties.

So are former political candidates slandered with attacks.

So do political parties.

Atheism is a religion.

Political parties such as the Democratic party, or the Republican party, is a religion, too. Cool.