Jump to topic:

Atheists or Adeists?

GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 6:08:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
A theist is someone who believes that there is a God who cares about the human race, who people can pray and worship and God will respond. Christ being the only way to allow your self into such a relationship with God.

A deist is someone who believe there is a God but God does not interact with the human race at all.

A atheist is someone who does not believe in a God, I would say gods too, but if you say a atheist is someone who does not believe in God, it cancels out there gods.

So an atheist does not believe in God at all, and a theist believe in a God with care for the human race, if atheists do not believe in God, they would believe a god which cares for the human race, so why not just call atheists adeists?

Thoughts?
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 6:10:51 PM
At 2/3/2010 6:08:52 PM, GodSands wrote:
A theist is someone who believes that there is a God who cares about the human race, who people can pray and worship and God will respond. Christ being the only way to allow your self into such a relationship with God.

A deist is someone who believe there is a God but God does not interact with the human race at all.

A atheist is someone who does not believe in a God, I would say gods too, but if you say a atheist is someone who does not believe in God, it cancels out there gods.

So an atheist does not believe in God at all, and a theist believe in a God with care for the human race, if atheists do not believe in God, they wouldn't believe a god which cares for the human race, so why not just call atheists adeists?

Thoughts?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 6:12:09 PM
So an atheist does not believe in God at all, and a theist believe in a God with care for the human race, if atheists do not believe in God, they would believe a god which cares for the human race, so why not just call atheists adeists?

Because an atheist doesn't believe in any form of deity, doesn't matter if it cares for the human race or not. It is the strict non-belief in any sort of God, gods, or supernatural entity.

A "deist" does believe in a deity, just not one what cares about human affairs.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 6:18:39 PM
: At 2/3/2010 6:12:09 PM, Volkov wrote:

Because an atheist doesn't believe in any form of deity, doesn't matter if it cares for the human race or not. It is the strict non-belief in any sort of God, gods, or supernatural entity.

A "deist" does believe in a deity, just not one what cares about human affairs.

Yeah, so why aren't atheists called adeists? You as an atheist do not believe in God and if then you do not believe in a god, you most certainly will not believe in a god that cares for mankind, why go to the extreme and call you selves atheists when you can call you selves adeists, it really is like juggerling 2 balls to impress when you could juggle 4 balls to impress.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 6:25:23 PM

Thoughts?

Theism- Belief in a Deity
Deism- Belief that a Deity exists, but doesn't care.

Theism is a set that encompasses Deism. Like how "Dog" encompasses "Chihuahua".

If we see a Dog-lover, we don't need to call him a Chihuahua lover. It is implied.

Similarly, if we see an Atheist, we don't need to call him an Adeist. It is implied.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 6:28:23 PM
At 2/3/2010 6:18:39 PM, GodSands wrote:
Yeah, so why aren't atheists called adeists? You as an atheist do not believe in God and if then you do not believe in a god, you most certainly will not believe in a god that cares for mankind, why go to the extreme and call you selves atheists when you can call you selves adeists, it really is like juggerling 2 balls to impress when you could juggle 4 balls to impress.

No, what it is is you failing at the English language.

The term "theist" refers to the belief of at least one supernatural entity. More specifically, it can refer to the belief of a personal god. "Deist" is a specific term about the nature of a god, instead of being personal, is instead impersonal.

But still, a "deist" can be called a "theist" because a deist still believes in at least one god. A deist can still be called a monotheist because of the belief in one God. In other words - a deist is still a theist in the general sense of the term.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 6:31:46 PM
At 2/3/2010 6:23:46 PM, GodSands wrote:
Adaoists then not adeists...

Vocabulary Fail.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 4:25:27 AM
: At 2/3/2010 6:28:23 PM, Volkov wrote:

The term "theist" refers to the belief of at least one supernatural entity. More specifically, it can refer to the belief of a personal god. "Deist" is a specific term about the nature of a god, instead of being personal, is instead impersonal.

But still, a "deist" can be called a "theist" because a deist still believes in at least one god. A deist can still be called a monotheist because of the belief in one God. In other words - a deist is still a theist in the general sense of the term.

So it would make more sense if atheists were called adeists, because you as an atheist don't believe in a Gos AT ALL, so you would call yourself a atheist but a adeist because an adeist covers the understanding that there is no God lealone a god which cares. I don't why you are arguing, I did this forum to bring forth a statment not to seek a conclusion.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 4:40:06 AM

Thoughts?

How about 'doomed' or 'condemned' or 'eternally lost' or 'blind' or..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Quail_man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 4:48:06 AM
At 2/4/2010 4:40:06 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Thoughts?

Or some other insult that really exemplifies your supposed Christian love?

Did Jesus go around saying that to people? Oh no wait there's something in the Bible about loving everyone including your enemy? I don't remember insulting your enemy, I always thought that was turn the other cheek.

But hey feel free to enter a verse from Leviticus after your post, you always seem more Godlike when you do that.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 5:07:08 AM
: At 2/4/2010 4:48:06 AM, Quail_man wrote:

Thoughts?

Did Jesus go around saying that to people? Oh no wait there's something in the Bible about loving everyone including your enemy? I don't remember insulting your enemy, I always thought that was turn the other cheek.

But hey feel free to enter a verse from Leviticus after your post, you always seem more Godlike when you do that.

What DOTC said is true, if you die an athiest or in this forum a adeist you will go to hell. That is love, expressing the truth which many would not want to be involved with, the truth does not care what you want to be involved with.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 5:09:13 AM
At 2/4/2010 4:25:27 AM, GodSands wrote:

So it would make more sense if atheists were called adeists, because you as an atheist don't believe in a Gos AT ALL, so you would call yourself a atheist but a adeist because an adeist covers the understanding that there is no God lealone a god which cares. I don't why you are arguing, I did this forum to bring forth a statment not to seek a conclusion.

No it does not.

Deism is a specific term that addresses a specific type of God.

You, who follow Christianity, are an Adeist, because you do not believe in the Deist God.

I, being an atheist, am an adeist as well, but if i call myself an adeist, then we are both adeists, and therefore, who knows what my stance regarding christianityis?
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 5:23:15 AM
: At 2/4/2010 5:09:13 AM, tkubok wrote:

No it does not.

You, who follow Christianity, are an Adeist, because you do not believe in the Deist God.

I, being an atheist, am an adeist as well, but if i call myself an adeist, then we are both adeists, and therefore, who knows what my stance regarding christianityis?

Quite a irrelivent exuse, why can we not be both adeists? Because we would get mixed up. Poor and lame in it's self. You are an adeist, and that rules out the Christian God as well as any other god, I am a thiest and that rules in the Christian God and it rules out any other unknown god.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 5:45:13 AM
Well, under your definition I am still an atheist. I see no evidence or reason in the world around us to suspect that there is a deity out there who personally interacts with human affairs. In fact, given my observations of the world, I think this claim is false (at least when this deity is also claimed to be loving and compassionate or that this deity wants to eternally torture anyone who doesn't worship him).

Is there a chance there is some unknown level of existence that caused the universe? Sure I guess there is. I wouldn't say this is for sure the case, but I don't have any observations that would seem to preclude the idea either.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 5:47:31 AM
What DOTC said is true, if you die an athiest or in this forum a adeist you will go to hell. That is love

I know, nothing says love like eternal torture.

That would make a good Valentine's Day theme, right?
Quail_man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:28:51 AM
At 2/4/2010 5:07:08 AM, GodSands wrote:
What DOTC said is true, if you die an athiest or in this forum a adeist you will go to hell. That is love, expressing the truth which many would not want to be involved with, the truth does not care what you want to be involved with.

Protip: 1 Peter 3:15
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:42:53 AM
At 2/4/2010 5:23:15 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 2/4/2010 5:09:13 AM, tkubok wrote:

No it does not.

Quite a irrelivent exuse, why can we not be both adeists? Because we would get mixed up. Poor and lame in it's self. You are an adeist, and that rules out the Christian God as well as any other god, I am a thiest and that rules in the Christian God and it rules out any other unknown god.

So the christian God is a God that does not interfere, and has not interefered with the universe, since its creation?
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 10:21:51 AM
Godsands, there are three philisophical veiws here, so there are three words. Having more words is a good thing because it contributes to clarity. Like the word love. it can be used in several senses and requries longer sentances when use just so theres enough context to clarify what sense you ment. thats bad. In Greek it has three words for its different contexts, so there is no need to give context because the word itself gives the context, philos, eros, agope. thats good. Calling an athiest a adeist would be like downgrading our langage. And English needs upgraded if anything.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:41:00 PM

in fact, the term theist is *more* encompassing than the word deist. atheists not only lack belief in a god that does nothing, but also lack belief in god(s) that are active participants in life. in fact, i would say that christians are the real "adeists" since they do not believe in a god that created the universe and then left it alone. you are welcome to repeat your conclusion until you turn blue but that will not make it correct.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 2:54:58 AM
: At 2/5/2010 8:41:00 PM, belle wrote:

in fact, the term theist is *more* encompassing than the word deist. atheists not only lack belief in a god that does nothing, but also lack belief in god(s) that are active participants in life. in fact, i would say that christians are the real "adeists" since they do not believe in a god that created the universe and then left it alone. you are welcome to repeat your conclusion until you turn blue but that will not make it correct.

I just think that you hate being corrected on your beliefs even though I do not correct your belief but correct the termology.

Christians were considered to be atheists in the earily Church people they did not believe in the many gods which were around at that time which were so popular. Instead Christians believed in this Jesus who claimed to be the Son of God who died on the cross as a sacrifice for mankind. Being crusified then was thought to be the worst of deaths and the person who was crusified was thought to be an outcast. How Christianity could have spred like it has without the Holy Spirit is a totally mystory.

Anyhow Christians were considered atheists, but now because all these gods which were so popular then have now been over run by Christianity, making the Christians the theists and those who do not believe in the Christian God or any god that is similiar to the Christian God such as Alla an atheist. But in correct termology athiests should be called adeists not athiests. An atheist implies that the possiblity of a god existing is possible, an adeists implies that no god is possible.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 3:59:06 AM
At 2/6/2010 2:54:58 AM, GodSands wrote:

I just think that you hate being corrected on your beliefs even though I do not correct your belief but correct the termology.

Christians were considered to be atheists in the earily Church people they did not believe in the many gods which were around at that time which were so popular. Instead Christians believed in this Jesus who claimed to be the Son of God who died on the cross as a sacrifice for mankind. Being crusified then was thought to be the worst of deaths and the person who was crusified was thought to be an outcast. How Christianity could have spred like it has without the Holy Spirit is a totally mystory.

Anyhow Christians were considered atheists, but now because all these gods which were so popular then have now been over run by Christianity, making the Christians the theists and those who do not believe in the Christian God or any god that is similiar to the Christian God such as Alla an atheist. But in correct termology athiests should be called adeists not athiests. An atheist implies that the possiblity of a god existing is possible, an adeists implies that no god is possible.

You are so wrong. An atheist is certainly the proper term. They reject the theist God who intervenes and has holy books written about him. Most atheists find deism to be reasonable and possible, but NOT the God of Christianity and theism. Aheists reject the Chistian God more than anything. Even Dawkins said the deist God is debatable and reasonable, but not the absolute absurdity of the theistic God.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 4:11:13 AM
: At 2/6/2010 3:59:06 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/6/2010 2:54:58 AM, GodSands wrote:

You are so wrong. An atheist is certainly the proper term. They reject the theist God who intervenes and has holy books written about him. Most atheists find deism to be reasonable and possible, but NOT the God of Christianity and theism. Aheists reject the Chistian God more than anything. Even Dawkins said the deist God is debatable and reasonable, but not the absolute absurdity of the theistic God.

So when I say to a atheist, it is reasonable to think that a god created the universe? They would say what, yes or no?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 4:19:10 AM
At 2/4/2010 4:48:06 AM, Quail_man wrote:
Thoughts?

Is it also insulting to yell at a blind man on a cliff edge?

You wish me to turn 'God is love' (true) to 'Love is god'. (false)

Matthew 8:12
But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
Matthew 8:11-13 (in Context) Matthew 8 (Whole Chapter)
Matthew 13:42
They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matthew 13:41-43 (in Context) Matthew 13 (Whole Chapter)
Matthew 13:50
and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matthew 13:49-51 (in Context) Matthew 13 (Whole Chapter)
Matthew 22:13
"Then the king told the attendants, 'Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
Matthew 22:12-14 (in Context) Matthew 22 (Whole Chapter)
Matthew 24:51
He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matthew 24:50-51 (in Context) Matthew 24 (Whole Chapter)
Matthew 25:30
And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
Luke 13:28
"There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out.
Luke 13:27-29 (in Context) Luke 13 (Whole Chapter)

Hell is hardly mentioned in the bible other than when Jesus Christ is speaking.

2 Peter 3:3 (New International Version)

3First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires.

toodle pip..
The Cross.. the Cross.
drumminonastreetlight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 8:54:24 AM
At 2/6/2010 4:19:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

You wish me to turn 'God is love' (true) to 'Love is god'. (false)

Yes it is insulting, one who is smart would kindly talk a blind man down and persuade him, not shot at him and tell him that if he jumps he'll go to hell.

No I don't wish you to do that, thats clearly a strawman. I wish you to obey this verse: 1 Peter 3:15

Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 9:18:32 AM

Thoughts?

Deists are, by definition, theists. It's just a more specific kind of theism that they hold. Atheists would also be "adeists" since they are not deists, but that is unnecessarily specific.

It's vague because I could call you, godsands, an "adeist" since your not a deist.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 10:56:59 AM
At 2/6/2010 4:19:10 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 2/4/2010 4:48:06 AM, Quail_man wrote:
Thoughts?

Telling people they are going to hell is not the same as yelling at a bling man on a cliff edge 'Hey, dont move youre almost going to fall of a cliff, now turn around slowly...'
Its more like yelling at the blindman 'you idiot! get youre dumb worthless hide away from that cliff. you stupid creature dont you know it hurts falling from that high!?'

one of these way's is truely out of concern and done compassion, the may be done with passion but it can still come out hatefull.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.