Jump to topic:

Is there a religion like this?

J311yPhi5h
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:30:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've been researching different religions just for fun, maybe one that might interest me but I'm not sure. But I'm looking for a religion that doesn't have a creator god or any gods for that matter and allows me to live my life without it telling me that I am inherently flawed. Essentially I'm looking for a belief system that doesn't promise any reward but instead seeks to make me feel more at peace without telling me to give up on desire and all that stuff. Something that allows me to remain a human being with human flaws and it accepts that but guides me on being a better human.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:39:51 PM
At 4/23/2014 3:30:30 PM, J311yPhi5h wrote:
I've been researching different religions just for fun, maybe one that might interest me but I'm not sure. But I'm looking for a religion that doesn't have a creator god or any gods for that matter and allows me to live my life without it telling me that I am inherently flawed. Essentially I'm looking for a belief system that doesn't promise any reward but instead seeks to make me feel more at peace without telling me to give up on desire and all that stuff. Something that allows me to remain a human being with human flaws and it accepts that but guides me on being a better human.

Why a god that isn't a "creator" god? Since if there is a god, it's pretty obvious that he has created lol?

Also, do you believe that you are inherently perfect?
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:43:33 PM

Does it need to be a religion?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
J311yPhi5h
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:44:32 PM
At 4/23/2014 3:39:51 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Why a god that isn't a "creator" god? Since if there is a god, it's pretty obvious that he has created lol?

No, I just don't believe in gods but I'm aware that there are many atheistic religions out there. And I don't view myself as inherently perfect, only that I don't believe that religions should make a human feel a need to become perfect. Imperfection is a fact of all living beings.
J311yPhi5h
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:45:30 PM
At 4/23/2014 3:43:33 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Not really, I'm just interested in finding a philosophy or belief system really.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:47:45 PM

I think you should look at Secular Humanism and leave religion out of it. Or take Buddhism and toss out the pixie dust beliefs.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:48:53 PM
At 4/23/2014 3:45:30 PM, J311yPhi5h wrote:
At 4/23/2014 3:43:33 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Not really, I'm just interested in finding a philosophy or belief system really.

Humanism? Something based on meditation?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:50:09 PM
At 4/23/2014 3:44:32 PM, J311yPhi5h wrote:

No, I just don't believe in gods but I'm aware that there are many atheistic religions out there. And I don't view myself as inherently perfect, only that I don't believe that religions should make a human feel a need to become perfect. Imperfection is a fact of all living beings.
Yes it is, and that is a Christian teaching, we don't need to be perfect just pliable...
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:54:21 PM

Could you also answer the first question, I would just like to understand you more thoroughly
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:56:43 PM
At 4/23/2014 3:50:09 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Yes it is, and that is a Christian teaching, we don't need to be perfect just pliable...

Would it be more correct to say that you do need to be perfect in belief in Jesus, being baptized and a couple other things, just not perfect in actions?
J311yPhi5h
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:56:56 PM

The the flaw of Christian beliefs in my opinion is that they demand that you "accept Jesus". I find that often times Christians believe that they are nothing without Jesus and this mindset of reliance on one being is off-putting to me.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 4:01:23 PM
At 4/23/2014 3:56:43 PM, slo1 wrote:

Would it be more correct to say that you do need to be perfect in belief in Jesus, being baptized and a couple other things, just not perfect in actions?

No, there is a starting point.
J311yPhi5h
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 4:02:10 PM
At 4/23/2014 3:54:21 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Could you also answer the first question, I would just like to understand you more thoroughly

I already answered that question, I stated in the first post and the reply to your question that I don't believe in gods. I just said creator god because some people have corrected me on simply saying creator.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 4:04:18 PM
At 4/23/2014 3:56:56 PM, J311yPhi5h wrote:

The the flaw of Christian beliefs in my opinion is that they demand that you "accept Jesus". I find that often times Christians believe that they are nothing without Jesus and this mindset of reliance on one being is off-putting to me.

Don't base your beliefs off of what Christians do, be honest with yourself and study the scriptures and see if you would be willing to apply them, make it simple.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 4:04:49 PM
At 4/23/2014 4:01:23 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Yeah, but there is also an ending point and if one does not hold a perfect belief in Jesus as his savior, the new starting point(death) does not start so well.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 4:11:32 PM
At 4/23/2014 4:04:49 PM, slo1 wrote:

Yeah, but there is also an ending point and if one does not hold a perfect belief in Jesus as his savior, the new starting point(death) does not start so well.

Could you rephrase that?
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 4:20:55 PM
Well unfortunately your choices are limited, at least to the few that could possibly be plausible. Those are easily discerned through the use of the internet other than that your left with either a materialist point of view or something that is relatively new or made up.
Poikilotherm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 6:25:18 PM

I think the word religion tends to imply a personal god or creator belief system but if you want one that doesn't judge or try to recruit and allows you to determine without hindrance I'd suggest Buddhism or Quakerism
E_Pluribus_Unum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 8:47:24 PM

Bethel Ministries. Think about it. The only problem you would have with it is a creator God being present and suggesting that there is a reward. Other than that, it's exactly what you are looking for.

But in all seriousness, I don't see how supportive therapy is any different from what you want. Unless you dislike going to regular sessions, there is no "creator god" (whatever that means), no supernatural reward beliefs necessary, makes you feel comforted and at peace with yourself, there is no need to "give up on desire" (most religions I know don't preach that anyway), and allows you to justify having flaws. I recommend you first ask yourself why you want to justify having flaws and you want to be comforted. I hate to pry on your personal life, but why are you looking for this? Do you have poor or degenerating relationships? If so, is that your fault this happened? How can you (re)construct the relationship (if it exists)? The context and the motives of wanting this particular "religion" can help us reach a proper recommendation.

To be clear, I am not giving you professional advice on any of this. Although talking about yourself and your experiences on the Internet can help one cope with serious problems in their life, I have a code of honor that I won't give medical or psychiatric advice to anyone. This isn't to keep you from finding a solution, this is because I am neither a professional nor an expert in either field. I refuse to accept the possibility or risk of being responsible for recommending a false diagnosis or cure to a human being in need of actual attention from trained professionals.
J311yPhi5h
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:54:18 PM
At 4/23/2014 8:47:24 PM, E_Pluribus_Unum wrote:

Bethel Ministries. Think about it. The only problem you would have with it is a creator God being present and suggesting that there is a reward. Other than that, it's exactly what you are looking for.

But in all seriousness, I don't see how supportive therapy is any different from what you want. Unless you dislike going to regular sessions, there is no "creator god" (whatever that means), no supernatural reward beliefs necessary, makes you feel comforted and at peace with yourself, there is no need to "give up on desire" (most religions I know don't preach that anyway), and allows you to justify having flaws. I recommend you first ask yourself why you want to justify having flaws and you want to be comforted. I hate to pry on your personal life, but why are you looking for this? Do you have poor or degenerating relationships? If so, is that your fault this happened? How can you (re)construct the relationship (if it exists)? The context and the motives of wanting this particular "religion" can help us reach a proper recommendation.

To be clear, I am not giving you professional advice on any of this. Although talking about yourself and your experiences on the Internet can help one cope with serious problems in their life, I have a code of honor that I won't give medical or psychiatric advice to anyone. This isn't to keep you from finding a solution, this is because I am neither a professional nor an expert in either field. I refuse to accept the possibility or risk of being responsible for recommending a false diagnosis or cure to a human being in need of actual attention from trained professionals.

I got into a religious argument recently in which I was berated by my friends for denying the historical existence of Jesus. I spent the next few days after that point looking at myself and wondering what was wrong with me as my friends called me ignorant for thinking in such a way. I found that my world view had become very nihilistic, my views on things like hope had become that they were safety blankets used for denying how terrible the world really was and that using them to deny such things was immature. At the same time, I felt as though this mindset of "placing hope and faith into things is immature and it is a simply more mature route to accept that world for it's terrible nature than to denying it" was detracting from my personal happiness. I'm working on self-esteem issues that may be causing this but I wanted to experiment with philosophies and stuff like that because I had heard that helped people.
E_Pluribus_Unum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 12:40:41 AM
At 4/23/2014 9:54:18 PM, J311yPhi5h wrote:
At 4/23/2014 8:47:24 PM, E_Pluribus_Unum wrote:

I got into a religious argument recently in which I was berated by my friends for denying the historical existence of Jesus. I spent the next few days after that point looking at myself and wondering what was wrong with me as my friends called me ignorant for thinking in such a way. I found that my world view had become very nihilistic, my views on things like hope had become that they were safety blankets used for denying how terrible the world really was and that using them to deny such things was immature. At the same time, I felt as though this mindset of "placing hope and faith into things is immature and it is a simply more mature route to accept that world for it's terrible nature than to denying it" was detracting from my personal happiness. I'm working on self-esteem issues that may be causing this but I wanted to experiment with philosophies and stuff like that because I had heard that helped people.

I would love nothing more than to tell you to have a similar faith as I do. Instead I will tell you to consider looking into Confucianism or Christian Atheism, since they are the first two that come off the top of my head. Confucianism is largely secular and humanist in its teachings. Buddhism also does this, but Buddhism teaches the denial of desire is the way to reach enlightenment. In a single sentence, Confucianism teaches the virtues of altruism, loyalty (but might still doesn't make right), respect for your family and ancestors, and being gentlemanly. I suspect Christian atheism might be an interesting stance to take, considering the recent conversation you had with your friends. Christian atheism is basically the denial of the existence of God but following the moral teachings of Jesus. If it is the case that you are unfamiliar with Jesus' teachings, a summary would be to follow Jesus, to love others (and God) like yourself, and to abstain from arrogant self-righteous behavior.

Remember that if you do not feel at peace with yourself, you cannot expect to be able to change without thinking of yourself as flawed.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 1:01:48 AM
Religion is just a crutch, so unless you really need a crutch don't use one. Using a crutch when you don't need it actually makes you weaker.
Rely on yourself, you are the pinnacle of life as we know it.
Don't sell yourself short.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 2:44:05 AM
At 4/24/2014 1:01:48 AM, bulproof wrote:
Religion is just a crutch, so unless you really need a crutch don't use one. Using a crutch when you don't need it actually makes you weaker.
Rely on yourself, you are the pinnacle of life as we know it.
Don't sell yourself short.

Wow what a genius, go become the president of united states.
Never fart near dog
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 11:07:00 AM
At 4/23/2014 3:47:45 PM, slo1 wrote:

Or take Buddhism and toss out the pixie dust beliefs.
What makes you think you can practice Buddhism without practicing traditional Buddhism?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 1:37:35 PM
At 4/24/2014 11:07:00 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

What makes you think you can practice Buddhism without practicing traditional Buddhism?

Because there is nobody who can stop someone from doing as such.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 1:47:24 PM
At 4/24/2014 1:37:35 PM, slo1 wrote:

What exactly do you mean by pixie dust in relation to Buddhism?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 1:59:33 PM
At 4/24/2014 1:47:24 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 4/24/2014 1:37:35 PM, slo1 wrote:

What exactly do you mean by pixie dust in relation to Buddhism?

like what some schools or texts says happens when one reaches enlightenment or all the superstition many Buddhists believe in, prayer wheels, etc.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 2:05:47 PM
At 4/23/2014 4:11:32 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Could you rephrase that?

You were saying that Christians did not need to be perfect just pliable. I corrected you in saying that is only true when it comes to actions. You have to have perfect beliefs. If you have pliable or wavering belief whether Jesus is son of god and your savior there is no wiggle room there.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 2:12:11 PM

Response: That means you want a religion that doesn't care for what is best for humanity but only cares for you. In that case, such a religion can only come from you.

So to answer your question as to whether there is a religion like this, sure there is. As soon as you make it up.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 3:23:42 PM
At 4/24/2014 2:05:47 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 4/23/2014 4:11:32 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Could you rephrase that?

You were saying that Christians did not need to be perfect just pliable. I corrected you in saying that is only true when it comes to actions. You have to have perfect beliefs. If you have pliable or wavering belief whether Jesus is son of god and your savior there is no wiggle room there.

Mmm no, that's not a correction you must be getting confused with James 1, you should read that chapter again. And as a matter of fact it talks about asking God for things that we lack, no perfection required.