Jump to topic:

Why Are People Debating Over Religion?

WheezySquash8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 9:11:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Can't we all just let each other believe in what they want, and not question them? Can't we just respect their beliefs no matter how extreme?
Pacifist Since 3/12/14
Wheezy
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 9:20:41 AM
At 4/27/2014 9:11:18 AM, WheezySquash8 wrote:
Can't we all just let each other believe in what they want, and not question them? Can't we just respect their beliefs no matter how extreme?

No. When people start making all sorts of claims about the nature of our world, the universe and what is beyond it and then start making claims that we all need to do or not do things cause they just so happen to know what an invisible personal powerful being wants on punishment of eternal hell fire...........we ain't just gonna let that fly.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 10:35:39 AM

Well, maybe if religious people didn't go to our doorsteps and ask us to join their religions. Maybe if religions can't influence society without paying any taxes. Maybe if religious fundamentalists didn't blow up buildings, murder people and block women's rights, abortion rights, gay rights and other such things. Maybe if they didn't try to get creationism in the school science curriculum.

This is why I don't respect religion. I might still question them, but I would at least respect them enough to not treat them like little children who are throwing a temper tantrum over everything during a debate.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 10:43:10 AM

That's just not human nature.

We live together, in groups. And we must act together, for our collective survival. We humans are not 'lone wolves', because lone wolves do not survive. And as we are a co-dependent species, it matters to us what others are thinking, because what and how they think will effect how they behave. And how they behave will effect us.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 10:50:19 AM

This is a debate site. A lot of us are here for the express purpose of debating.
And religion is a big interest for a lot of people here.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 11:52:21 AM

Problem: some of those beliefs are so extreme that they are harmful to society.

And some people actually enjoy testing their beliefs through discussion.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 2:10:48 PM

As has been pointed out to you, this is a debate forum. However.....it's still a good question, and an avenue for specific religion related debates.

For instance, is there a faction of the non-religious (emphasis on faction however large or small), usually atheistic but not confined to, that are intolerant? I would say so.

The word religion has been highly abused, and used in such a vague way to favor one's position.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 2:14:30 PM
I'm not sure that anyone has ever claimed that there are no intolerant non-religious people, so I'm unsure as to how that would be a debate at all, let alone an interesting one.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 4:01:54 PM

Not when their belief systems are shaping public policy. An example of that would be the likelihood that our dealing with Israel are influenced by the curse of premillennialism. After all, if you get a congressman up there who actually thinks that ONE country over in Palestine is "God's chosen people", then will he not let his religious convictions influence his votes? The United States sends an ambassador to the Vatican, of all places - and Catholics were recently up in arms because VP Biden refused to kiss the pope's ring.

And what of the schools? Would not certain groups love to get your tax dollars for the purpose of pushing their religion in parochial schools? A "Catholic" school doesn't just teach reading, writing, and arithmetic, you know. Nor should the origin of man be taught in schools. Not one child's education would be harmed by just leaving it off.

Religious EXTREMISM - coupled with extreme stupidity in the realm of religion - has been nothing but a plague in this world for centuries. As such, it must be combated - and one does that by combating error
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."