Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

Abortion Stats

Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 5:58:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Yes, I realize this is in the Religion section. I came across these statistics and thought it was pretty interesting. The U.S. does about 1.37 million abortion per year. Women identifying themselves as Protestants obtain 37.4% of all abortions in the U.S.; Catholic women account for 31.3%, Jewish women account for 1.3%, and women with no religious affiliation obtain 23.7% of all abortions. 18% of all abortions are performed on women who identify themselves as "Born-again/Evangelical". I can't believe those stats - especially the last one! It's interesting how more than 75% of people who obtain abortions believe in God and identify as religious (Evangelicals?! Really?!)... What do you think this means, if anything (besides that people are hypocrites)?

[ http://www.abortionno.org... ]
President of DDO
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 6:04:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
There's something to this whole preacher's daughter thing.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
drumminonastreetlight
Posts: 15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 7:01:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
76.5% (159 million) identify themselves as protestant or catholic

compare that

14.1% do not follow any organized religion.

Take these facts into account and your figures make way more sense
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 3:59:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 5:58:47 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Yes, I realize this is in the Religion section. I came across these statistics and thought it was pretty interesting. The U.S. does about 1.37 million abortion per year. Women identifying themselves as Protestants obtain 37.4% of all abortions in the U.S.; Catholic women account for 31.3%, Jewish women account for 1.3%, and women with no religious affiliation obtain 23.7% of all abortions. 18% of all abortions are performed on women who identify themselves as "Born-again/Evangelical". I can't believe those stats - especially the last one! It's interesting how more than 75% of people who obtain abortions believe in God and identify as religious (Evangelicals?! Really?!)... What do you think this means, if anything (besides that people are hypocrites)?

[ http://www.abortionno.org... ]

It means that you, personally, hate God and His people and, at your fathers behest, will do anything to smear our name hoping to smear His Name.

That's all it means.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 4:29:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 5:58:47 PM, theLwerd wrote:
What do you think this means, if anything (besides that people are hypocrites)?

That teen pregnancies are apparently more embarrassing than going to hell. :D
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 4:31:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/6/2010 4:29:00 AM, Puck wrote:
At 2/5/2010 5:58:47 PM, theLwerd wrote:
What do you think this means, if anything (besides that people are hypocrites)?

That teen pregnancies are apparently more embarrassing than going to hell. :D

Jesus Christ paid the price for ALL sin, including every abortion.

You only have to trust this.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 9:30:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/6/2010 4:31:47 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 2/6/2010 4:29:00 AM, Puck wrote:
At 2/5/2010 5:58:47 PM, theLwerd wrote:
What do you think this means, if anything (besides that people are hypocrites)?

That teen pregnancies are apparently more embarrassing than going to hell. :D

Jesus Christ paid the price for ALL sin, including every abortion.

You only have to trust this.

So abort freely, murder your neighbours and conduct black magic rituals just so long as you believe in a Jewish carpenter who through some unstated mechanism neutralises sin.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 10:24:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/6/2010 9:30:10 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 2/6/2010 4:31:47 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 2/6/2010 4:29:00 AM, Puck wrote:
At 2/5/2010 5:58:47 PM, theLwerd wrote:
What do you think this means, if anything (besides that people are hypocrites)?

That teen pregnancies are apparently more embarrassing than going to hell. :D

Jesus Christ paid the price for ALL sin, including every abortion.

You only have to trust this.

So abort freely, murder your neighbours and conduct black magic rituals just so long as you believe in a Jewish carpenter who through some unstated mechanism neutralises sin.

Win. :D
nickthengineer
Posts: 251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 10:42:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
It means nothing more than that people are hypocrites and don't always do what they say they believe in. Same as the divorce rate. It says nothing about Christianity or the Bible, only about some Christians (the people).
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 3:43:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/6/2010 10:42:00 AM, nickthengineer wrote:
It means nothing more than that people are hypocrites and don't always do what they say they believe in. Same as the divorce rate. It says nothing about Christianity or the Bible, only about some Christians (the people).

Like you?

And no, that wasnt a joke. In any case, there are passages in the bible, for example, where it specifically says that the life is in the blood, and since there is no blood in the fetus till about 3 weeks, abortion up until that point is okay, and that is the justification for abortion up until a certain point.
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 5:49:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 5:58:47 PM, theLwerd wrote:
What do you think this means, if anything (besides that people are hypocrites)?

It means that God has granted me my wish to make my opponents look ridiculous.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
dearjournal
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 6:11:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 7:01:46 PM, drumminonastreetlight wrote:
76.5% (159 million) identify themselves as protestant or catholic

compare that


14.1% do not follow any organized religion.

Take these facts into account and your figures make way more sense

quoted for truth
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 6:44:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/7/2010 6:11:55 PM, dearjournal wrote:
At 2/5/2010 7:01:46 PM, drumminonastreetlight wrote:
76.5% (159 million) identify themselves as protestant or catholic

compare that


14.1% do not follow any organized religion.

Take these facts into account and your figures make way more sense

quoted for truth

Two things wrong with "the truth."

One is that I do not trust those statistics too much, unless Lwerd can provide more background on it. So I think it is fair to say, as it is with any poll of any nature, that some might have lied in order to protect what they're really thinking. I don't have a basis, since it is just a thought, which brings me to point number two.

Lets do some math.

23.7% of 1.73 million is 324,690. That is the number of women who claim no religious affiliation.

You say that 14.1% of Americans are apart of this group. In reality, the most recent number pegs it at 15.0%. Interesting side note: only 1.6% identify as atheist or agnostic.

The population of the US is 308,632,000. 15.0% of that is 46,294,800. For the sake of argument, we'll say that the number of female adherents is 51%, since that is the average in countries for gender ratio. That leaves 23,610,348.

324,690 is 1.3% of that total. Meaning, 1.3% of non-religious women get abortions.

Lets look at Evangelicals, because the numbers for "Protestants" are all over the place.

246,600 - the number of Evangelical women who get abortions.
2,777,688 - the number of people in the US who identify as Evangelical.
1,416,621 - 51% of the adherents, or number for women

Do the math, and 17.4% of Evangelical women get abortions. Interesting, no?

Now, if we must do the entirety of Christianity, we shall.

86.7 is the number you get when you tally up the Protestant, Catholic, and Evangelical numbers.

1,187,790 - the number of women who get abortions who identify as Christians.
234,560,320 - the number of Christians in the US, or 76% of the population.
119,625,723 - the number of women, or 51%

Drum roll please... 0.9% of Christian women get abortions.

Now, the number is lower, no doubt - but the difference is also statistically insignificant, and if given a margin of error that exists with my calculations, probably well within.

0.9%, compared to 1.3%. Given all the other factors, are you sure that you want to continue "quoting for truth"?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 6:45:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/7/2010 6:44:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
0.9%, compared to 1.3%. Given all the other factors, are you sure that you want to continue "quoting for truth"?

Make that 1.0% - I forgot to round up.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 7:24:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/7/2010 6:45:45 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/7/2010 6:44:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
0.9%, compared to 1.3%. Given all the other factors, are you sure that you want to continue "quoting for truth"?

Make that 1.0% - I forgot to round up.

Sig figs?
nickthengineer
Posts: 251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 7:48:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/6/2010 3:43:41 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 2/6/2010 10:42:00 AM, nickthengineer wrote:
It means nothing more than that people are hypocrites and don't always do what they say they believe in. Same as the divorce rate. It says nothing about Christianity or the Bible, only about some Christians (the people).

Like you?

And no, that wasnt a joke. In any case, there are passages in the bible, for example, where it specifically says that the life is in the blood, and since there is no blood in the fetus till about 3 weeks, abortion up until that point is okay, and that is the justification for abortion up until a certain point.

That better have been a joke. I have never had a divorce nor an abortion (obviously), so unless I have provided you with some other example of my consistently unbiblical conduct, on what grounds to you call me a hypocrite? Note, I am not claiming to be perfect.

Exodus 21:22-25 says that if someone strikes a pregnant woman and the baby doesn't survive, that the person should be put to death. This is the closest example to abortion, certainly a much better one than the one you gave. Putting to death someone who causes the death of an unborn child (note that it does not specify how many weeks or months along the fetus is, which means this applies to ALL unborn children) shows God's standard of when life begins.
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 7:57:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/7/2010 7:24:19 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 2/7/2010 6:45:45 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/7/2010 6:44:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
0.9%, compared to 1.3%. Given all the other factors, are you sure that you want to continue "quoting for truth"?

Make that 1.0% - I forgot to round up.

Sig figs?

Can't be. He's using numbers in the millions.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 7:59:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/7/2010 7:57:36 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 2/7/2010 7:24:19 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 2/7/2010 6:45:45 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/7/2010 6:44:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
0.9%, compared to 1.3%. Given all the other factors, are you sure that you want to continue "quoting for truth"?

Make that 1.0% - I forgot to round up.

Sig figs?

Can't be. He's using numbers in the millions.

Uh, these are the US census figures I can glean off of Wiki. If you don't believe me, check it out yourself.
dearjournal
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 8:02:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/7/2010 6:44:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
0.9%, compared to 1.3%. Given all the other factors, are you sure that you want to continue "quoting for truth"?

lol bro, this was my point. Read what i typed. Essentially that TheLwerds figures were misleading because women aren't 50% christian and 50% non-religious

I guess I should have explained it further.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 8:07:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/7/2010 8:02:14 PM, dearjournal wrote:
lol bro, this was my point. Read what i typed. Essentially that TheLwerds figures were misleading because women aren't 50% christian and 50% non-religious

I guess I should have explained it further.

Indeed, you should have, however I shouldn't have jumped the gun.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 8:42:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Maybe this???? Just a suggestion?

8All these are the beginning of sorrows.

Matthew 24:9-11

9Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

10And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 6:31:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/7/2010 8:42:49 PM, jharry wrote:
Maybe this???? Just a suggestion?


8All these are the beginning of sorrows.

Matthew 24:9-11

9Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

10And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

Maybe Jesus is a false prophet!!???
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 2:17:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 5:58:47 PM, theLwerd wrote:
What do you think this means,

[ http://www.abortionno.org... ]

@ turbok, sorry couldn't remember how to spell it.

She asked what I thought about those statistics. Dang, for someone that has such a problem with religious intolerance you sure can't tolerate religion. Where I come from we can that talking out of both side of your mouth. Has it ever dawned on you that you are no different than what you hate?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 3:10:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The rate of abortions per capita is the only meaningful measurement (that Vol did)
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 3:20:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/7/2010 6:44:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/7/2010 6:11:55 PM, dearjournal wrote:
At 2/5/2010 7:01:46 PM, drumminonastreetlight wrote:
76.5% (159 million) identify themselves as protestant or catholic

compare that


14.1% do not follow any organized religion.

Take these facts into account and your figures make way more sense

quoted for truth

Two things wrong with "the truth."

One is that I do not trust those statistics too much, unless Lwerd can provide more background on it. So I think it is fair to say, as it is with any poll of any nature, that some might have lied in order to protect what they're really thinking. I don't have a basis, since it is just a thought, which brings me to point number two.

Lets do some math.

23.7% of 1.73 million is 324,690. That is the number of women who claim no religious affiliation.

You say that 14.1% of Americans are apart of this group. In reality, the most recent number pegs it at 15.0%. Interesting side note: only 1.6% identify as atheist or agnostic.

The population of the US is 308,632,000. 15.0% of that is 46,294,800. For the sake of argument, we'll say that the number of female adherents is 51%, since that is the average in countries for gender ratio. That leaves 23,610,348.

324,690 is 1.3% of that total. Meaning, 1.3% of non-religious women get abortions.

Lets look at Evangelicals, because the numbers for "Protestants" are all over the place.

246,600 - the number of Evangelical women who get abortions.
2,777,688 - the number of people in the US who identify as Evangelical.
1,416,621 - 51% of the adherents, or number for women

Do the math, and 17.4% of Evangelical women get abortions. Interesting, no?

Now, if we must do the entirety of Christianity, we shall.

86.7 is the number you get when you tally up the Protestant, Catholic, and Evangelical numbers.

1,187,790 - the number of women who get abortions who identify as Christians.
234,560,320 - the number of Christians in the US, or 76% of the population.
119,625,723 - the number of women, or 51%

Drum roll please... 0.9% of Christian women get abortions.

Now, the number is lower, no doubt - but the difference is also statistically insignificant, and if given a margin of error that exists with my calculations, probably well within.

0.9%, compared to 1.3%. Given all the other factors, are you sure that you want to continue "quoting for truth"?

Even that is slightly off, since it can't be 86.7% of abortions being "protestants, catholics, and evangelical" since non-religious abortions are marked at 23.7% (can't more then 100%). There are only 2 reasonable possibilities, Some people marked themselves as more then one religion (possibly as protestants and evangelical), or the numbers are just flat out wrong on this website. I'm more inclined to go with the first option (cause I don't like dismissing sources flat out, unless obvious).

So, lets go with 68.7% (instead of the 86.7%). We get 941,000 abortions by catholic/protestants. Which comes to 0.787%.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 3:32:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/5/2010 7:01:46 PM, drumminonastreetlight wrote:
76.5% (159 million) identify themselves as protestant or catholic

compare that


14.1% do not follow any organized religion.

Take these facts into account and your figures make way more sense

What is your point? The 76% of the population that is religious and anti-abortion are the same people getting most of the abortions. I see the point you are trying to make that the majority of the abortions are done by religious people because the majority of the population is religious, but this point fails to say anything other than religious people are hypocritical.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 3:41:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/8/2010 3:32:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/5/2010 7:01:46 PM, drumminonastreetlight wrote:
76.5% (159 million) identify themselves as protestant or catholic

compare that


14.1% do not follow any organized religion.

Take these facts into account and your figures make way more sense

What is your point? The 76% of the population that is religious and anti-abortion are the same people getting most of the abortions. I see the point you are trying to make that the majority of the abortions are done by religious people because the majority of the population is religious, but this point fails to say anything other than religious people are hypocritical.

Except that non religious are more likely to have abortions (assuming all the numbers were correct). 1 in 77 non religious, compared to 1 in 130 religious.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 7:21:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/8/2010 3:32:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/5/2010 7:01:46 PM, drumminonastreetlight wrote:
76.5% (159 million) identify themselves as protestant or catholic

compare that


14.1% do not follow any organized religion.

Take these facts into account and your figures make way more sense

What is your point? The 76% of the population that is religious and anti-abortion are the same people getting most of the abortions. I see the point you are trying to make that the majority of the abortions are done by religious people because the majority of the population is religious, but this point fails to say anything other than religious people are hypocritical.

Not really. It just means that not all Christians are Pro-Life. The Pro-Life Christians are still Pro-Life, though.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 2:39:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/6/2010 9:30:10 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 2/6/2010 4:31:47 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 2/6/2010 4:29:00 AM, Puck wrote:
At 2/5/2010 5:58:47 PM, theLwerd wrote:
What do you think this means, if anything (besides that people are hypocrites)?

That teen pregnancies are apparently more embarrassing than going to hell. :D

Jesus Christ paid the price for ALL sin, including every abortion.

You only have to trust this.

So abort freely, murder your neighbours and conduct black magic rituals just so long as you believe in a Jewish carpenter who through some unstated mechanism neutralises sin.

If you accept Christ and His attoning sacrifice then you must accept His words and commands.

The much oft stated mechanism is simply sinlessness.. By not sinning, even when on the cross, ( 'forgive them Father, they know not what they do') He was able to reinstate the Holy Spirit on, first the disiples, then other believers, that Adam lost when he sinned at Eden.

'The reason you do hear is that you do not belong to God. '
The Cross.. the Cross.