Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Christianity: Cherry Picking What to Believe.

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 8:49:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
As a former Christian and current Atheist, I have no wish to insult anyone's beliefs. However I am very curious how people go about deciding which parts of the bible are factual?

YEC seems to be rejected by most.

Everything Jesus did seems to be accepted by most.

Most of the rest seems to fall into a grey area. Such as the various prophets who rose people from the dead. Moses parting the red sea; but within the same story God killing children over other peoples sins, while needing to be guided by blood on doors to not target any of the wrong children. The flood. The garden of Eden.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 9:15:16 AM
It's mostly a matter of identifying the genre of a piece of literature and interpreting it correctly. There's gray area because Biblical hermeneutics is difficult, and there's room for debate.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 9:20:45 AM
At 4/30/2014 8:49:05 AM, Ragnar wrote:
As a former Christian and current Atheist, I have no wish to insult anyone's beliefs. However I am very curious how people go about deciding which parts of the bible are factual?

Most of the rest seems to fall into a grey area. Such as the various prophets who rose people from the dead. Moses parting the red sea; but within the same story God killing children over other peoples sins, while needing to be guided by blood on doors to not target any of the wrong children. The flood. The garden of Eden.

People who believe in God tend to believe in the image of God that corresponds with their experience and reactions to life. Angry people believe in an angry God. Frightened people believe in a scary God. Resentful people believe in a vengeful God. Kind people believe in a kind God. And so on.

So that as they read the Bible, they tend to notice and remember the passages that reinforce the God-image that resonates with their own experience and understanding of life, while they overlook those that might contradict it.

We humans are biased. And it's really unavoidable. We are biased by what we already think we know of truth and reality, as we use that to understand and assess any new experiences of reality, and as we hone our concepts of the truth of it.

And atheists are no exception, here, because they are as human as anyone else.

It's impossible to completely overcome this bias, but we can mitigate it somewhat by recognizing it in ourselves, and by practicing at catching ourselves doing it, and then deliberately questioning our own assumptions. Few people bother to do this, though, and none of us can do it all the time. It's a bit debilitating, after all, as it will cause us to be laboriously slow in determining what we will accept as being true at any given time.

So as with all things, it's a bit of a trade-off. We want to try and check our biases as best we can, but we aren't going to be able to do it all the time, or fully. So we must accept that we are what we are, and be willing to forgive it in ourselves, and in others.

I would like to note, too, that some people truly need to view God in certain ways, because of their experiences in life, and their particular human frailties. And we aren't going to know who they are, or why they are that way. So it's best to remember that some views of God that may seem absurd to you or I, might be saving the life of someone else. It's the old; "unless you've walked a mile in their shoes "" thing.
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 9:55:51 AM
At 4/30/2014 9:15:16 AM, philochristos wrote:
It's mostly a matter of identifying the genre of a piece of literature and interpreting it correctly. There's gray area because Biblical hermeneutics is difficult, and there's room for debate.

since there is no standard, other than ones own moral compass, how do you expect to find the correct interpretation?
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 9:56:16 AM
At 4/30/2014 9:15:16 AM, philochristos wrote:

This. A lot of people forget the Bible isn't one book - it's a lot of different types of literature compiled together. Obviously it shouldn't all be read in the same way.

Also, this:

http://thepietythatliesbetween.blogspot.com...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
ZMowlcher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 10:05:10 AM
At 4/30/2014 9:20:45 AM, PureX wrote:

People who believe in God tend to believe in the image of God that corresponds with their experience and reactions to life. Angry people believe in an angry God. Frightened people believe in a scary God. Resentful people believe in a vengeful God. Kind people believe in a kind God. And so on.

So that as they read the Bible, they tend to notice and remember the passages that reinforce the God-image that resonates with their own experience and understanding of life, while they overlook those that might contradict it.

We humans are biased. And it's really unavoidable. We are biased by what we already think we know of truth and reality, as we use that to understand and assess any new experiences of reality, and as we hone our concepts of the truth of it.

And atheists are no exception, here, because they are as human as anyone else.

It's impossible to completely overcome this bias, but we can mitigate it somewhat by recognizing it in ourselves, and by practicing at catching ourselves doing it, and then deliberately questioning our own assumptions. Few people bother to do this, though, and none of us can do it all the time. It's a bit debilitating, after all, as it will cause us to be laboriously slow in determining what we will accept as being true at any given time.

So as with all things, it's a bit of a trade-off. We want to try and check our biases as best we can, but we aren't going to be able to do it all the time, or fully. So we must accept that we are what we are, and be willing to forgive it in ourselves, and in others.

I would like to note, too, that some people truly need to view God in certain ways, because of their experiences in life, and their particular human frailties. And we aren't going to know who they are, or why they are that way. So it's best to remember that some views of God that may seem absurd to you or I, might be saving the life of someone else. It's the old; "unless you've walked a mile in their shoes "" thing.

Sick post man.
Always angry, All the time.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 11:52:47 AM

Here's part of the answer just in case you are sincere about asking, which I have good reason to doubt.

YEC is bigger than you think and it hangs on because the word can't be falsely interpreted to make it work. Therefore, the YEC's must hang on against all odds that the word can somehow become the truth. Isn't it true that there are many who are hoping and praying beyond hope that it will be proven that the earth is about 6000 years old? Isn't it true that millions of Christians are hoping that Noah's ark will be found somewhere on a mountain and the story will be validated once and for all?
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 11:55:48 AM

And I should have also said: Then there are sane people such as brother neutral who rejects all the superstitious nonsense outright and is not afraid to voice it. He favours something entirely different that just 'might' be able to stand up to scientific proof in his own mind. Of course it never will.

And so it doesn't take much imagination to place everybody else somewhere between the two extremes I have laid out for you.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 11:58:51 AM
At 4/30/2014 11:52:47 AM, monty1 wrote:

Here's part of the answer just in case you are sincere about asking, which I have good reason to doubt.

YEC is bigger than you think and it hangs on because the word can't be falsely interpreted to make it work. Therefore, the YEC's must hang on against all odds that the word can somehow become the truth. Isn't it true that there are many who are hoping and praying beyond hope that it will be proven that the earth is about 6000 years old? Isn't it true that millions of Christians are hoping that Noah's ark will be found somewhere on a mountain and the story will be validated once and for all?

Acutally I think it is a smaller movement than most reckon...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:21:06 PM

What reason would that be?

monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:23:26 PM
At 4/30/2014 12:21:06 PM, Ragnar wrote:

Oh, just that that's the main reason why this forum even exists. To have fun with Christians and for them to have fun with the nons.
But you could convince m otherwise if you care to. I don't really care if you do though.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:39:52 PM

I don't believe in the literal sense of the Bible either, meaning it is not all to be taken literally, But what about the fact that it does seem to have some inherent power, like the way it has inspired and touched so many people from so many different walks of life. Of course the same could be said about Harry Potter, but can it really? Will Harry Potter actually succeed in being as powerful as the Bible, I doubt it.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:45:42 PM
At 4/30/2014 12:39:52 PM, johnlubba wrote:

I don't believe in the literal sense of the Bible either, meaning it is not all to be taken literally, But what about the fact that it does seem to have some inherent power, like the way it has inspired and touched so many people from so many different walks of life. Of course the same could be said about Harry Potter, but can it really? Will Harry Potter actually succeed in being as powerful as the Bible, I doubt it.

No, Harry Potter won't succeed in being as powerful. Neither will Dan Brown's books.

But there are equivalents that have succeeded and one is the holy Koran. Now how about asking yourself why it would succeed when in fact it's anathema to Christian teaching. Could it be that it uses the same exact power over humanity that the bible uses? Could it be partly in the power of people not being capable of escaping childhood indoctrination?

Well, at least I may have got you thinking?
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:48:17 PM
At 4/30/2014 12:45:42 PM, monty1 wrote:

No, Harry Potter won't succeed in being as powerful. Neither will Dan Brown's books.

But there are equivalents that have succeeded and one is the holy Koran. Now how about asking yourself why it would succeed when in fact it's anathema to Christian teaching. Could it be that it uses the same exact power over humanity that the bible uses? Could it be partly in the power of people not being capable of escaping childhood indoctrination?

I don't believe that Christianity is the only book that can help one acquire knowledge of God, I believe all authorized religions are made to do so, just some are made for different people with different outlooks on life.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:56:52 PM
Anyone who believes the accounts of Jesus are factual, but disbelieves other parts of the bible, care to weigh in?

monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 1:17:15 PM
At 4/30/2014 12:48:17 PM, johnlubba wrote:

I don't believe that Christianity is the only book that can help one acquire knowledge of God, I believe all authorized religions are made to do so, just some are made for different people with different outlooks on life.

Great answer! But it falls short. The Mayans had the power of which you speak and the were able to have their believers line up in lines literally thousands of people strong, to go to the altar and have their hearts cut out of their bodies.

Once again, it is the same power.

So now that you have cornered yourself, would you like to start understanding how they developed that power over humans? It's the same power that the bible holds over people's minds. Yet the bible isn't powerful enough to cause them to sacrifice themselves in the tens of thousnands.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 1:50:57 PM
At 4/30/2014 1:17:15 PM, monty1 wrote:

Great answer! But it falls short. The Mayans had the power of which you speak and the were able to have their believers line up in lines literally thousands of people strong, to go to the altar and have their hearts cut out of their bodies.

Once again, it is the same power.

So now that you have cornered yourself, would you like to start understanding how they developed that power over humans? It's the same power that the bible holds over people's minds. Yet the bible isn't powerful enough to cause them to sacrifice themselves in the tens of thousnands.

Incoherent.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 2:59:25 PM

What do you mean by "acquire knowledge of God"?

I guess I might as well inquire as to what an "authorized religion" is.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2014 9:32:18 AM
At 4/30/2014 2:59:25 PM, annanicole wrote:

God reveals himself through all authorized religions, he has many attributes, in-fact innumerable, and all declare this. An authorized religion is a religion that is sanctioned by the state. The same way that Christianity becomes authorized along with any other religion is authorized.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2014 12:17:01 PM
At 5/1/2014 9:32:18 AM, johnlubba wrote:

God reveals himself through all authorized religions, he has many attributes, in-fact innumerable, and all declare this. An authorized religion is a religion that is sanctioned by the state. The same way that Christianity becomes authorized along with any other religion is authorized.

Did Christianity lead people to "acquire knowledge of God" before it was authorized by the state?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2014 12:36:55 PM
At 5/1/2014 12:17:01 PM, annanicole wrote:

Did Christianity lead people to "acquire knowledge of God" before it was authorized by the state?

Kriste jeezuz anna, authorized by the state? It can't get any more insane than that!
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2014 12:43:10 PM
At 5/1/2014 12:36:55 PM, monty1 wrote:

Kriste jeezuz anna, authorized by the state? It can't get any more insane than that!

I sorta thought that. The state might authorize worshiping a marijuana plant, then ppl could smoke dope to find God.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 2:28:18 AM

Your questioned is hard to comprehend. Are you saying that before Christianity being an authorized religion it could still offer knowledge of God?

My belief is that whenever religious principles become less and less in society, then either God or His representative comes to earth to re-establish religious principles amongst society, People are taught with regards to thier abiltiy to understand and also with regards to the time and locataion they live in. God authorizes and establishes all major religions. The same way it is believed he set out to establish Christianity.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 4:38:39 AM
At 5/2/2014 2:28:18 AM, johnlubba wrote:

Your questioned is hard to comprehend. Are you saying that before Christianity being an authorized religion it could still offer knowledge of God?

Yeah, where the state "authorized" it or not would be irrelevant.

My belief is that whenever religious principles become less and less in society, then either God or His representative comes to earth to re-establish religious principles amongst society,

Do you mean that if the principles, for instance, of Christianity "became less and less" in society that God would somehow "take action" to re-establish the teachings of Christianity within that society? We already have the scriptures. I fail to see what more we could need, i. e. I fail to see in what way(s) they are lacking.

People are taught with regards to thier abiltiy to understand and also with regards to the time and locataion they live in. God authorizes and establishes all major religions. The same way it is believed he set out to establish Christianity.

God "authorized" conflicting religions?