Jump to topic:

Good Arguments for Why the Bible isn't evil

TheINFJofINFJS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 10:10:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Saying, "because it is God's word" doesn't tell me anything.

I would love to read the Bible, but my atheist father won't let me right now because he thinks I'm too young.

I have read some verses, however.

I accept your religious beliefs. Just please don't try to force them on me or anyone else.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 11:01:51 AM
At 4/30/2014 10:10:51 AM, TheINFJofINFJS wrote:

Doesn't that depend on what the question is?

I accept your religious beliefs.

What do you mean you accept them? You don't mean you agree with them, do you?

Just please don't try to force them on me or anyone else.

Why not?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
TheINFJofINFJS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 11:16:08 AM
At 4/30/2014 11:01:51 AM, philochristos wrote:

Why not?

Because how would you feel if someone tried to force you to be an atheist?

I accept people because I know we are not all the same and that our differences should not effect anyone else other than the person that has those beliefs themselves, unless if you try to force others to be like you.

Some people like fish, some don't.

Some people like to swim, some don't.

It's the same for beliefs.

Sexuality does not define your morals, and neither does your gender, race, or anything else you cannot help.

Our differences do not hurt anyone .
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 11:39:55 AM
It's just a book. Poorly written sure, but it's pretty hard to define a book as evil.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 11:44:06 AM
At 4/30/2014 11:16:08 AM, TheINFJofINFJS wrote:

Why not?

I don't see how that's even possible except by giving me arguments, which I don't mind at all. But if you're imying that there's something wrong with forcing others to adopt your belief, what is the purpose of your post? Don't you want your readers to agree with you and do what you're telling them?

I accept people because I know we are not all the same and that our differences should not effect anyone else other than the person that has those beliefs themselves, unless if you try to force others to be like you.

Aren't to you trying to force me to agree with your belief that we shouldn't try to force others to agree with our beliefs? What do mean by "accept"?

Some people like fish, some don't.

Some people like to swim, some don't.

It's the same for beliefs.

I don't think it is. A person who likes fish isn't right or wrong. That's just their preference. But a person who thinks Jesus rose from the dead is either right or wrong, and their preference has nothing to do with it.

Sexuality does not define your morals, and neither does your gender, race, or anything else you cannot help.

Our differences do not hurt anyone .

If our differences don't hurt anyone, then why object to people forcing their beliefs on others? Aren't they just being different?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 11:57:48 AM

I would love to read the Bible, but my atheist father won't let me right now because he thinks I'm too young.

I accept your religious beliefs. Just please don't try to force them on me or anyone else.

I'm assuming you mean the CONTENTS of the Bible lol? In the OT there is some violence and raw action it may be viewed with discretion. WHY is there violence in the OT? Because in reality there is violence and the Bible is very honest in this nature.
However the NT is a lot more viewer friendly maybe your Father would let you read that, there are NT only books, besides if you are interested in Christianity it is what applies to us.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:01:40 PM

I recommend the Skeptics Annotated Bible. If anyone (even Christians) wish to read a Bible, that one is the one to read.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com...
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:08:14 PM
At 4/30/2014 12:01:40 PM, SNP1 wrote:

I recommend the Skeptics Annotated Bible. If anyone (even Christians) wish to read a Bible, that one is the one to read.

Hahah, no.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:08:48 PM

Well the Bible is either a record of God's revelation to mankind or it is not. If it is, it is a wonderous thing, if not it is evil. It would be evil because it would claim authority which belongs to God or if there is no God it would impart falsehood under the guise of the greatest possible authority.

Now this may sound funny coming from a Christian, but I wouldn't just advise you to pick up the Bible and start reading it. If you just start at the beginning, you will not understand much of it or understand the context in which it was written. Then you will hit pages upon pages of who begat who and you'll probably get turned off.

If I were you, I'd talk to someone who can explain why you should believe in Christianity. Go talk to a priest or a minister to get a basic feel, or pick up a book like Catholicism or Christianity for Dummies. It will cover the broad points and give you the basic intellectual arguments.

From there if you decide to proceed further into Christianity you'll unfortunately have to go through the process of choosing a denomination, as Christianity has become somewhat fractured over the past 2 millennia. This will give you a basis for interpreting what you read in the Bible.

The final introductory step would be to become a Christian. In some churches you are just going to have to stand up and say the "Sinner's Prayer" and you are a member. In something like the Catholic Church you'll have to go through a program like RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) in order to be baptized. This is about a 2 year program that teaches you the beliefs of the Church.

Hope that helps.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:37:14 PM
At 4/30/2014 12:08:14 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Hahah, no.

Why not? It is the actual Bible but with annotations by skeptics.
#WarOnDDO
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:40:16 PM

The Bible is a collection of many different kinds of writing - mythical stories, poems, songs, parables, theological doctrine, etc., and they all tend to use a lot of metaphor and symbolism. They are not easy to interpret and were not meant to be. And many of those texts were assembled for the purpose of being read, discussed, and debated in groups. Often, they were intended to present the mystery of "God" in such a way as to confound the reader, and force him to struggle with how to find and apply the absolutes of religious ideology to the relative conditions of life as a human being. The ancient Israelites called their god "the Living God" for a reason. And that was because their God was a God that they lived with, and struggled with on a daily basis.

I don't know how old you are, but you should probably listen to your dad. Too many people already completely misread, misuse, and misunderstand the Bible. You don't want to become one of them.

If you do choose to investigate it, as an adult, I would recommend finding a good Bible discussion group to read it with. And make sure the group is open to different interpretations and individual understanding and debate. And is not just religious indoctrination masquerading as a Bible study. A lot of them are.

The world is full of people who want to tell you what to think, and what to believe, and what to do. Just as it's full of people who want to be told what to think, what to believe, and what to do. And they all seem to want to imagine that they're doing God's will.

I think they're cowards. I think they're just selling themselves out. I hope you will not fall into that trap.
perplexed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:43:26 PM
At 4/30/2014 11:44:06 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 4/30/2014 11:16:08 AM, TheINFJofINFJS wrote:

Why not?

I don't see how that's even possible except by giving me arguments, which I don't mind at all. But if you're imying that there's something wrong with forcing others to adopt your belief, what is the purpose of your post?
has it occurred to you that she may just want to understand WHY one believes?

Don't you want your readers to agree with you and do what you're telling them?
what is the point in that....?
the point is to learn something...
: At 4/29/2014 3:14:36 AM, annanicole wrote:

:
: I'll be happy to concede the raping of virgin girls, if you can find it somewhere.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:54:19 PM

You mean the one that has like sixteen obvious mistakes designed to make Christianity look bad? Yeah, no.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:55:25 PM

So your atheist father is basically forcing his belief on you, yet you tell Christians they can't force their message on others? You're a piece of work, aren't you?
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:56:25 PM
At 4/30/2014 12:37:14 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Hahah, no.

Close. More like the Bible snarkily rewritten by skeptics.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 12:59:10 PM
At 4/30/2014 12:37:14 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Hahah, no.

Why would I want to read a bible with annotations by "skeptics"?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 2:16:10 PM
At 4/30/2014 12:56:25 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

Actually, it has not been rewritten at all. The only difference is that there are annotations by skeptics.

At 4/30/2014 12:59:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

To see the flaws in the Bible.
#WarOnDDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 2:53:50 PM
At 4/30/2014 2:16:10 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 4/30/2014 12:56:25 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

Actually, it has not been rewritten at all. The only difference is that there are annotations by skeptics.

At 4/30/2014 12:59:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

To see the flaws in the Bible.

I'm quite capable of seeing the "flaws" on my own. I've actually done biblical studies and i'm not an inerrantist in any case.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
TheINFJofINFJS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 2:56:36 PM
At 4/30/2014 12:55:25 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

So your atheist father is basically forcing his belief on you, yet you tell Christians they can't force their message on others? You're a piece of work, aren't you?

No!!!

I am not my father. His actions do not define me.