Jump to topic:

Meditation

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2014 2:01:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Meditation is not just the ability to clear your mind of all thoughts. Instead, it is the act of trying to clear your mind of all thoughts - and then focusing in on whatever issue refuses to leave your mind. Grab that thought, look at what was the source of that thought. Is that thought a problem? How might you solve that problem? These are all questions that you must filter every thought through. Only by focusing in on the issues that are present in your mind, will you ever be able to rest those thoughts and actually achieve the ability to clear your mind of all thoughts...

When attempting to clean your room, you first find the mess and then focus on cleaning that mess right? If so, the end result would be a clean room.
When attempting to clear your mind, you must first find the chaos and then focus on applying order to the chaos. Your end result will be a mind clear of thoughts. A mind truly at peace and now capable of focusing 100% on the present moment. The Now.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 9:12:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think different people use different methods.

I cannot stop my mind from prattling on about something, nothing, and everything. There is no 'off' switch. But I can learn not to pay attention to it. And to even steer it toward stillness. So that's how I meditate. First I ignore the obsessive chatter, and let myself become very calm. My thoughts are just a kind of background "white noise". Then I begin to pay attention to the stillness. I focus on my breathing in, and out. In, and out. I listened to the sound of the air filling my lungs, and then exiting. I consider the muscles in my body, from end to end, and relax each set of them, legs, arms, etc. Then I lay still and "feel the gravity" pulling my body to the floor. And I imagine that the Earth is holding me close to it. And while I've been focussed on these thoughts, the meaningless chatter has subsided. And finally I can just be still for a while, and contemplate that stillness.

And I can just enjoy BEING.

I find that to do this every so often for 10 minutes or so really helps keep me centered and relaxed. And it helps me during the course of the day, not to let my brain and it's thoughts run away with me. Thoughts are just thoughts. Emotions are just emotions. I do not HAVE to respond, react, or be otherwise controlled by them.

Ultimately, being precedes doing.