Total Posts:46|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Louis CK reveals truth about Catholic church

Geogeer
Posts: 4,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 12:12:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/4/2014 11:31:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Hey thanks!

Here's another good youtube video I thought you might like...
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 12:22:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/4/2014 11:31:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:


Well, it's a little over the top and not all that funny, but it's adding momentum in the right direction because it's going to cause people to think. The catholic church can't stand any close analysis right now as it's involved in damage control over the factual evidence of pedophilia and child abuse.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 12:26:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 12:22:36 PM, monty1 wrote:

Well, it's a little over the top and not all that funny, but it's adding momentum in the right direction because it's going to cause people to think. The catholic church can't stand any close analysis right now as it's involved in damage control over the factual evidence of pedophilia and child abuse.

Really? Can you point to any other organization that has done as much to make restitution and to stamp it out?
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,083
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 12:40:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 12:12:52 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/4/2014 11:31:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Hey thanks!

Here's another good youtube video I thought you might like...



lolol
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
annanicole
Posts: 19,785
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 12:26:52 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:22:36 PM, monty1 wrote:

Well, it's a little over the top and not all that funny, but it's adding momentum in the right direction because it's going to cause people to think. The catholic church can't stand any close analysis right now as it's involved in damage control over the factual evidence of pedophilia and child abuse.

Really? Can you point to any other organization that has done as much to make restitution and to stamp it out?

I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Geogeer
Posts: 4,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 4:40:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

If what you claim is true, you wouldn't see a chart like:

http://www.debate.org...

It has long since been mostly dealt with.
annanicole
Posts: 19,785
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 8:59:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 4:40:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

If what you claim is true, you wouldn't see a chart like:

http://www.debate.org...

It has long since been mostly dealt with.

It will not be totally dealt with until they rid themselves of the "priest-laity" system, or "clergy-laity" system. I do not see them doing that any time soon. It is a deeply entrenched system, although wholly unsupported by the New Testament. THAT is what I meant. They'll have to initiate a system in which all Christians are priests, and Jesus Christ is the high priest.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 9:33:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 4:40:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

If what you claim is true, you wouldn't see a chart like:

http://www.debate.org...

It has long since been mostly dealt with.

Methodology? What is an "actual incident" and "accusal" in this chart? Where does the data come from? I'm pretty skeptical of how someone estimates the total # of actual incidents.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 10:00:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 12:26:52 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:22:36 PM, monty1 wrote:

Well, it's a little over the top and not all that funny, but it's adding momentum in the right direction because it's going to cause people to think. The catholic church can't stand any close analysis right now as it's involved in damage control over the factual evidence of pedophilia and child abuse.

Really? Can you point to any other organization that has done as much to make restitution and to stamp it out?

Good point! I'll take a chance and suppose it's true. But I can't think of another org on the face of the earth that has been so solidly and completely branded with the pedophile label!

Which leads us to conclude as we see it continue unabated in the least. Too little, too late!
Geogeer
Posts: 4,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 10:17:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 9:33:35 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:40:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

If what you claim is true, you wouldn't see a chart like:

http://www.debate.org...

It has long since been mostly dealt with.

Methodology? What is an "actual incident" and "accusal" in this chart? Where does the data come from? I'm pretty skeptical of how someone estimates the total # of actual incidents.

The chart comes from:

http://www.ncregister.com...

They pulled it from the report:

http://www.jjay.cuny.edu...

Which has unfortunately gone mostly inactive since I last looked.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 11:02:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 8:59:06 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:40:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

If what you claim is true, you wouldn't see a chart like:

http://www.debate.org...

It has long since been mostly dealt with.

It will not be totally dealt with until they rid themselves of the "priest-laity" system, or "clergy-laity" system. I do not see them doing that any time soon. It is a deeply entrenched system, although wholly unsupported by the New Testament. THAT is what I meant. They'll have to initiate a system in which all Christians are priests, and Jesus Christ is the high priest.

You should ask Korah about that.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 11:18:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 10:00:08 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:26:52 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:22:36 PM, monty1 wrote:

Well, it's a little over the top and not all that funny, but it's adding momentum in the right direction because it's going to cause people to think. The catholic church can't stand any close analysis right now as it's involved in damage control over the factual evidence of pedophilia and child abuse.

Really? Can you point to any other organization that has done as much to make restitution and to stamp it out?

Good point! I'll take a chance and suppose it's true. But I can't think of another org on the face of the earth that has been so solidly and completely branded with the pedophile label!

Which leads us to conclude as we see it continue unabated in the least. Too little, too late!

Except for the fact that it isn't continuing unabated.

http://www.ncregister.com...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 12:35:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 10:17:20 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 9:33:35 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:40:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

If what you claim is true, you wouldn't see a chart like:

http://www.debate.org...

It has long since been mostly dealt with.

Methodology? What is an "actual incident" and "accusal" in this chart? Where does the data come from? I'm pretty skeptical of how someone estimates the total # of actual incidents.

The chart comes from:

http://www.ncregister.com...

They pulled it from the report:

http://www.jjay.cuny.edu...

Which has unfortunately gone mostly inactive since I last looked.

Welp, no methodology....

honestly, the chart makes no sense. The average child molester has 10 victims. The "total # of molestations" line should stay around 10 times higher than the "# of accused priests" line since one looks at victims and one looks at molesters.

I agree the Church probably has gotten a bit better at disciplining molester priests, but all I see on that chart is that molester priests are getting better at not getting caught [plus a non-sensical measurement of total incidents].
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 1:15:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 11:18:12 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 10:00:08 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:26:52 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:22:36 PM, monty1 wrote:

Well, it's a little over the top and not all that funny, but it's adding momentum in the right direction because it's going to cause people to think. The catholic church can't stand any close analysis right now as it's involved in damage control over the factual evidence of pedophilia and child abuse.

Really? Can you point to any other organization that has done as much to make restitution and to stamp it out?

Good point! I'll take a chance and suppose it's true. But I can't think of another org on the face of the earth that has been so solidly and completely branded with the pedophile label!

Which leads us to conclude as we see it continue unabated in the least. Too little, too late!

Except for the fact that it isn't continuing unabated.

http://www.ncregister.com...

Oh yes it is and my point will be proven when we next hear of a catholic priest fukking a little boy in his a5s. That could be tomorrow or it could take as long as a month. What is happening is that it's being covered up and it's being downplayed by their pope as he asks for God's forgiveness for his priests.

If the swine was an honest and decent human being he would have the guilty priests thrown out of the church and jailed awaiting their trials for child abuse of the worst sort!
irreverent_god
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 1:36:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:26:52 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:22:36 PM, monty1 wrote:

Well, it's a little over the top and not all that funny, but it's adding momentum in the right direction because it's going to cause people to think. The catholic church can't stand any close analysis right now as it's involved in damage control over the factual evidence of pedophilia and child abuse.

Really? Can you point to any other organization that has done as much to make restitution and to stamp it out?

I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

As the old addage indicates: Abstinence make the church grow fondlers.
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 1:37:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 1:15:07 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/6/2014 11:18:12 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 10:00:08 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:26:52 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:22:36 PM, monty1 wrote:

Well, it's a little over the top and not all that funny, but it's adding momentum in the right direction because it's going to cause people to think. The catholic church can't stand any close analysis right now as it's involved in damage control over the factual evidence of pedophilia and child abuse.

Really? Can you point to any other organization that has done as much to make restitution and to stamp it out?

Good point! I'll take a chance and suppose it's true. But I can't think of another org on the face of the earth that has been so solidly and completely branded with the pedophile label!

Which leads us to conclude as we see it continue unabated in the least. Too little, too late!

Except for the fact that it isn't continuing unabated.

http://www.ncregister.com...

Oh yes it is and my point will be proven when we next hear of a catholic priest fukking a little boy in his a5s. That could be tomorrow or it could take as long as a month. What is happening is that it's being covered up and it's being downplayed by their pope as he asks for God's forgiveness for his priests.

If the swine was an honest and decent human being he would have the guilty priests thrown out of the church and jailed awaiting their trials for child abuse of the worst sort!

You mean like the 400 or so priests that Benedict defrocked? And the fact that over 25% of all cases were carried out by 147 individuals and over 40% of all cases happened in the 5 year period between 1975 and 1980? And that the abuse rates seemed primarily focused on those coming out of the seminaries in or about 1970.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com...
Geogeer
Posts: 4,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 1:52:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 12:35:54 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/6/2014 10:17:20 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 9:33:35 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:40:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

If what you claim is true, you wouldn't see a chart like:

http://www.debate.org...

It has long since been mostly dealt with.

Methodology? What is an "actual incident" and "accusal" in this chart? Where does the data come from? I'm pretty skeptical of how someone estimates the total # of actual incidents.

The chart comes from:

http://www.ncregister.com...

They pulled it from the report:

http://www.jjay.cuny.edu...

Which has unfortunately gone mostly inactive since I last looked.

Welp, no methodology....

honestly, the chart makes no sense. The average child molester has 10 victims. The "total # of molestations" line should stay around 10 times higher than the "# of accused priests" line since one looks at victims and one looks at molesters.

I agree the Church probably has gotten a bit better at disciplining molester priests, but all I see on that chart is that molester priests are getting better at not getting caught [plus a non-sensical measurement of total incidents].

Here you go I tracked down the original for you. Page 28 of the report:

http://www.usccb.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 2:13:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 1:52:42 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/6/2014 12:35:54 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/6/2014 10:17:20 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 9:33:35 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:40:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

If what you claim is true, you wouldn't see a chart like:

http://www.debate.org...

It has long since been mostly dealt with.

Methodology? What is an "actual incident" and "accusal" in this chart? Where does the data come from? I'm pretty skeptical of how someone estimates the total # of actual incidents.

The chart comes from:

http://www.ncregister.com...

They pulled it from the report:

http://www.jjay.cuny.edu...

Which has unfortunately gone mostly inactive since I last looked.

Welp, no methodology....

honestly, the chart makes no sense. The average child molester has 10 victims. The "total # of molestations" line should stay around 10 times higher than the "# of accused priests" line since one looks at victims and one looks at molesters.

I agree the Church probably has gotten a bit better at disciplining molester priests, but all I see on that chart is that molester priests are getting better at not getting caught [plus a non-sensical measurement of total incidents].

Here you go I tracked down the original for you. Page 28 of the report:

http://www.usccb.org...

If you read the methodology, they simply asked the churches how many priests had been accused each year (from 1950-2002) and how many total people made accusations for each year (to the Church). The entire study assumes the Catholic church would be honest in their survey answers if molestations had stayed the same or gone up. There is a huge incentive to doctor the data.

Later they examined the number of priests in jail for molestation. It seems the number stayed constant around 5%.

This proves nothing except that the Church lies about how prevalent molestation currently is *or* that if people are going to report molestation, they report it to the police, not to the Church.

I serously doubt most individual churches have records going back to 1950, so I assume they are just guessing for a lot of this data.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
annanicole
Posts: 19,785
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 2:43:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 1:36:34 PM, irreverent_god wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:26:52 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:22:36 PM, monty1 wrote:

Well, it's a little over the top and not all that funny, but it's adding momentum in the right direction because it's going to cause people to think. The catholic church can't stand any close analysis right now as it's involved in damage control over the factual evidence of pedophilia and child abuse.

Really? Can you point to any other organization that has done as much to make restitution and to stamp it out?

I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

As the old addage indicates: Abstinence make the church grow fondlers.

Yep, if abstinence = "priestly" celibacy. Bad system. Unscriptural system, to boot
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
irreverent_god
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 2:59:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 2:43:19 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 5/6/2014 1:36:34 PM, irreverent_god wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:26:52 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:22:36 PM, monty1 wrote:

Well, it's a little over the top and not all that funny, but it's adding momentum in the right direction because it's going to cause people to think. The catholic church can't stand any close analysis right now as it's involved in damage control over the factual evidence of pedophilia and child abuse.

Really? Can you point to any other organization that has done as much to make restitution and to stamp it out?

I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

As the old addage indicates: Abstinence make the church grow fondlers.

Yep, if abstinence = "priestly" celibacy. Bad system. Unscriptural system, to boot

Of course it's unscriptural. However, I am glad that you distinguished 'bad' and 'unscriptural.' The two are, indeed, mutually exclusive. :)
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
annanicole
Posts: 19,785
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 3:19:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 2:59:40 PM, irreverent_god wrote:
At 5/6/2014 2:43:19 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 5/6/2014 1:36:34 PM, irreverent_god wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:26:52 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 12:22:36 PM, monty1 wrote:

Well, it's a little over the top and not all that funny, but it's adding momentum in the right direction because it's going to cause people to think. The catholic church can't stand any close analysis right now as it's involved in damage control over the factual evidence of pedophilia and child abuse.

Really? Can you point to any other organization that has done as much to make restitution and to stamp it out?

I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

As the old addage indicates: Abstinence make the church grow fondlers.

Yep, if abstinence = "priestly" celibacy. Bad system. Unscriptural system, to boot

Of course it's unscriptural. However, I am glad that you distinguished 'bad' and 'unscriptural.' The two are, indeed, mutually exclusive. :)

At times, but this isn't one of those times. Any system which vests power in a "clergy" system is intrinsically "bad". A "one-man pastor" system such as the Baptists have is unscriptural - and bad. The NT endorses a system in which there is no clergy-laity, with "them" way up there, and "us" way down here, and "they" dispense salvation. Or "they" dispense what they style "sacraments". Catholicism is BUILT, from the ground floor, on this system. It is not Christianity at all. Neither is the Baptist church, although it is closer and less dangerous by far.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 10:24:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
When the pope asks for forgiveness from the god for the evil pedophile priests you can be pretty sure he's an evil coksucker of the same ilk. He doesn't want justice, he wants a coverup and the whole thing to go away. It's bad for the collection plate business.

And what need is there to say anything about the freaks who try to downplay it all? Their god has a reason for little boys being fukked in their as5es.
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 10:57:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 12:22:36 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/4/2014 11:31:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:


Well, it's a little over the top and not all that funny, but it's adding momentum in the right direction because it's going to cause people to think. The catholic church can't stand any close analysis right now as it's involved in damage control over the factual evidence of pedophilia and child abuse.

The Catholic Church, from the time of its inception, has served as a good example of the weaknesses inherent in religion in general.
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 11:04:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 12:35:54 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/6/2014 10:17:20 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 9:33:35 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:40:16 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/5/2014 4:26:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
I never paid much attention to the "child abuse" or "pedophilia" charges concerning the Catholic Church. They are publicized because of their "shock value." I would, however, closely examine the flaws of any system that lends itself so easily to such abuses. THAT is what they've never addressed.

If what you claim is true, you wouldn't see a chart like:

http://www.debate.org...

It has long since been mostly dealt with.

Methodology? What is an "actual incident" and "accusal" in this chart? Where does the data come from? I'm pretty skeptical of how someone estimates the total # of actual incidents.

The chart comes from:

http://www.ncregister.com...

They pulled it from the report:

http://www.jjay.cuny.edu...

Which has unfortunately gone mostly inactive since I last looked.

Welp, no methodology....

honestly, the chart makes no sense. The average child molester has 10 victims. The "total # of molestations" line should stay around 10 times higher than the "# of accused priests" line since one looks at victims and one looks at molesters.

I agree the Church probably has gotten a bit better at disciplining molester priests, but all I see on that chart is that molester priests are getting better at not getting caught [plus a non-sensical measurement of total incidents].

"Based on the surveys and studies conducted by different denominations over the past 30 years, experts who study child abuse say they see little reason to conclude that sexual abuse is mostly a Catholic issue." ~ Pat Wingert, Newsweek.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 11:09:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 11:04:30 PM, Idealist wrote:

"Based on the surveys and studies conducted by different denominations over the past 30 years, experts who study child abuse say they see little reason to conclude that sexual abuse is mostly a Catholic issue." ~ Pat Wingert, Newsweek.

I never claimed it was. The question is whether there are a disproportionate # of molestations in the Catholic Church compared to the general population and the extent to which the Church covers for molester priests.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 11:35:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 11:09:39 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/6/2014 11:04:30 PM, Idealist wrote:

"Based on the surveys and studies conducted by different denominations over the past 30 years, experts who study child abuse say they see little reason to conclude that sexual abuse is mostly a Catholic issue." ~ Pat Wingert, Newsweek.

I never claimed it was. The question is whether there are a disproportionate # of molestations in the Catholic Church compared to the general population and the extent to which the Church covers for molester priests.

The name of the article was "Priests Commit No More Abuse Than Other Males." If you would like to read it the link is http://www.newsweek.com...
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 11:38:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 11:09:39 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/6/2014 11:04:30 PM, Idealist wrote:

"Based on the surveys and studies conducted by different denominations over the past 30 years, experts who study child abuse say they see little reason to conclude that sexual abuse is mostly a Catholic issue." ~ Pat Wingert, Newsweek.

I never claimed it was. The question is whether there are a disproportionate # of molestations in the Catholic Church compared to the general population and the extent to which the Church covers for molester priests.

I wanted to make clear that I'm no fan of the Catholic Church. I studied a good deal about it in college, and wrote some papers on it. What I found wasn't something I really liked, but I'm not sure whether the corruption inherent in the Catholic Church was due more to it's religious nature than to the fact that it held such a monopoly for so long.
bulproof
Posts: 25,225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 11:57:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 11:38:23 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/6/2014 11:09:39 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/6/2014 11:04:30 PM, Idealist wrote:

"Based on the surveys and studies conducted by different denominations over the past 30 years, experts who study child abuse say they see little reason to conclude that sexual abuse is mostly a Catholic issue." ~ Pat Wingert, Newsweek.

I never claimed it was. The question is whether there are a disproportionate # of molestations in the Catholic Church compared to the general population and the extent to which the Church covers for molester priests.

I wanted to make clear that I'm no fan of the Catholic Church. I studied a good deal about it in college, and wrote some papers on it. What I found wasn't something I really liked, but I'm not sure whether the corruption inherent in the Catholic Church was due more to it's religious nature than to the fact that it held such a monopoly for so long.

The real problem is that all the other churches (minus 2 or 3) are just offshoots of the catholic church and as such their teachings regarding the catholic church have an axe to grind. If they don't grind their axe the admit heresy by default. Unthinkable.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 12:03:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 11:57:17 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/6/2014 11:38:23 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/6/2014 11:09:39 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 5/6/2014 11:04:30 PM, Idealist wrote:

"Based on the surveys and studies conducted by different denominations over the past 30 years, experts who study child abuse say they see little reason to conclude that sexual abuse is mostly a Catholic issue." ~ Pat Wingert, Newsweek.

I never claimed it was. The question is whether there are a disproportionate # of molestations in the Catholic Church compared to the general population and the extent to which the Church covers for molester priests.

I wanted to make clear that I'm no fan of the Catholic Church. I studied a good deal about it in college, and wrote some papers on it. What I found wasn't something I really liked, but I'm not sure whether the corruption inherent in the Catholic Church was due more to it's religious nature than to the fact that it held such a monopoly for so long.

The real problem is that all the other churches (minus 2 or 3) are just offshoots of the catholic church and as such their teachings regarding the catholic church have an axe to grind. If they don't grind their axe the admit heresy by default. Unthinkable.

Then again, there's an argument to be made that the Catholic Church is only an offshoot of earlier religious beliefs.