Jump to topic:

Defects in religions

dattaswami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 6:45:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hinduism has two defects. The first is that all the rituals are not conducted in the mother tongue. The rituals involve hymns in Sanskrit. In the ancient days, Sanskrit was the mother tongue of the sages. They understood the meaning of the rituals and were very much interested in God. Every ritual explains about God alone, directly or indirectly. Today, the rituals are like dead bodies without life. Their real aim and purpose is lost. Not even a trace of devotion is developed through any ritual. Atleast, the priest should translate the hymns and should create interest in the ritual. If you observe the other religions, this defect does not exist because all their rituals are performed in their mother tongue. This is the reason for the sincere devotion in Christianity and Islam.

Added to this, like ghee to the fire, the concept of only one present human birth in these religions has developed tremendous interest in God, due to fear. In Hinduism, the belief of several future human births brought lenience towards spiritual field. If you allow the candidate to pass the examinations in several attempts, no seriousness can be developed. If you say that one has to pass the examination in a single attempt, the education system will be perfect. Observing the other religions, Hindus must rectify these two defects.

Christianity & Islam have their own defects. They should also rectify their defects by observing Hinduism. Selfishness, pathetic scenes & fear develop their belief in God. If you want to develop interest in God by saying that Jesus suffered for your sins & by showing pathetic scene of crucifixion, it is not real & pure love. When you develop interest in Jesus since He suffered for your sins, your love for Him is only based on selfishness. Your love for Jesus should be based on His divine personality & knowledge, without any trace of selfishness.

Similarly, these two religions try to create fear in minds of human beings by mentioning about permanent hell. Fear should not be the basis of love for God. Love should be spontaneous & without any selfishness in free atmosphere. Reason for this deficiency in these religions is due to absence of metaphysics in scriptures. Their scriptures mainly deal with development of proper human behavior to balance society. Such scriptures are mainly dealing with ethics & not with philosophy of God like nature of God, path to please God etc.

Analytical development in spiritual knowledge is not much seen in their scriptures. They have confined God to path of Pravritti alone. Accordingly, God is simply an administrator bound by His own rules. He is just a judge to deliver judgment & a jailer who jails sinners. He is just a mechanical examiner, without any freedom or love for devotees. He cannot go beyond rules of justice. Ofcourse, all this is good for initial development of human beings.

Mere happy life in society is not sufficient because such life is not eternal. Life after death should be also analyzed. Mere judicial procedure is not the ultimate to be known about God. Love towards God, sacrifice for sake of God, concept of contemporary human incarnation for sake of His most beloved devotees etc., are points of higher importance than mere limitation to petty family.

At lotus feet of Datta Swami
Surya
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 9:27:49 AM
At 2/8/2010 6:22:35 AM, tkubok wrote:
Hinduism has one more defect.

God does not exist.

(

Ah, but which Hindu god doesn't exist? Hinduism is polytheistic remember... Not that I believe in any of the Hindu gods, just saying... ;)
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 4:19:34 PM
At 2/8/2010 9:27:49 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

God does not exist.

(

Ah, but which Hindu god doesn't exist? Hinduism is polytheistic remember... Not that I believe in any of the Hindu gods, just saying... ;)

Actually, although the Hindu god uses many avatars, there is essentially one "Boss" god, i believe his name is Brahma.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 4:22:09 PM
At 2/8/2010 4:19:34 PM, tkubok wrote:

God does not exist.

(

Actually, although the Hindu god uses many avatars, there is essentially one "Boss" god, i believe his name is Brahma.

I thought it was O'Brahma. jk.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 4:23:18 PM

God does not exist.

(

You are correct (though I'm not sure about the name). Hinduism has one god and all those other things are "manifestations" of that god.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 4:26:32 PM

God does not exist.

(

Yeah, Brahma is a Pantheist God, meaning it's just another name for the Universe. You know, Carl Sagan actually admired Hinduism and was amazed at Hindu cosmology and astronomy.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 4:43:13 PM
At 2/8/2010 4:23:18 PM, wjmelements wrote:

God does not exist.

(

You are correct (though I'm not sure about the name). Hinduism has one god and all those other things are "manifestations" of that god.

Yeah, i believe theres a passage in the Gita where the prince is granted a divine eye, and sees Brahma in his awesomeness. And the description is funny.
dattaswami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 11:16:10 PM
At 2/8/2010 4:43:13 PM, tkubok wrote:
Yeah, i believe theres a passage in the Gita where the prince is granted a divine eye, and sees Brahma in his awesomeness. And the description is funny.

Reply: from surya

The comments here show the interest in the spiritual satsanga. Unruly behaviour, weird comments. probably this knowledge is looking like a bouncer for these people.

at lotus feet of swami
surya
dattaswami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 11:21:08 PM

Reply: God is only one.

God is like free electrons flowing in the atmosphere. These Electrons are the electricity. Then can you heat water by keeping the vessel containing water in the atmosphere? When these Electrons enter a medium like the metallic wire, you can heat water. Similarly if God enters the medium of physical body, it is most convenient for you to clear your doubts, to love and to serve Him. Basically He receives the worship of His devotees.

This electricity can flow in any number of wires. You can see the wire but not electricity. The wires are similar to the physical bodies of different incarnations like Jesus, Mohammed, Krishna, Adi Shankara, Rama etc. Omnipotent Lord can simultaneously exist in any no. of wires also.

Let me give one more example.

The external body is similar to shirt. Same God wore different shirts and appeared in different forms in front of us. You are only seeing the physical bodies and thinking them as different Gods. Same God existed in Jesus, Krishna, Mohammed etc. When God exists in human body, He is called the human incarnation. If you compare Jesus, Krishna, Mohammed etc. they look different externally. But, the internal God is same. The internal God is unimaginable. But, He entered in a physical body to give His experience in the form of preaching excellent divine knowledge, sometimes doing miracles, saving devotees etc.

This internal God in human incarnation, as far as possible, follows the rules of the nature. This taking food, sleep, marriage, celibacy (unmarried), having children etc. are related to the physical body. The internal God is untouched by any of these. The internal God gives His experience in the form of excellent divine knowledge, bliss, sometimes expression of superpowers etc. When God comes in human form, He will decide Himself His plan of action (like marry or remain celibate monk, where to take birth infact everything) as per His divine plan, which no one knows other than Himself.

At lotus feet of swami
surya
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 12:26:27 AM
@dattaswami

I see that you always exclude Buddha? What are your thoughts on Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha)?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
dattaswami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 2:05:01 AM
At 2/12/2010 12:26:27 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I see that you always exclude Buddha? What are your thoughts on Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha)?

Reply: Buddha, Jain are also incarnations of God.

The Mahayana branch of Buddhism worships Buddha in the form of statutes as God or the devotee in whose heart God is present. Infact according to Hinduism Buddha is directly the Lord since he is treated as one of the ten human incarnations of the Lord. Just like Christianity arose from Islam, Buddhism arose from Hinduism.

The Heenayana branch of Buddhism treats Buddha as a preacher of divine knowledge and treats Him as an ordinary human being. This concept is the concept of Islam or the concept of Madhvacharya in Hinduism. Thus, Hinduism is a mini model of the entire universal religions. The Science represents atheism. Even this atheism is represented in Hinduism by the sub-religion of Charvaka (Nastika Matam). All the sub-religions of Hinduism are the religions in the world. Whatever is in the world, it is present in Hinduism.

Universal spirituality brings the unity of all religions in the world and thus it brings the unity in all the sub-religions in Hinduism also.

at lotus feet of swami
surya
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 2:48:03 AM
At 2/12/2010 2:05:01 AM, dattaswami wrote:
At 2/12/2010 12:26:27 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Reply: Buddha, Jain are also incarnations of God.

How can you say that though? Buddha was clearly an atheist and would be against a lot of the religious claims that you make.

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." - Buddha

(Hmm, contradicts Christianity does it not?)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

"My teaching is not a dogma or a doctrine, but no doubt some people will take it as such. I must state clearly that my teaching is a method to experience reality and not reality itself, just as a finger pointing at the moon is not the moon itself. An intelligent person makes use of the finger to see the moon. A person who only looks at the finger and mistakes it for the moon will never see the real moon. My teaching is a means of practice, not something to hold onto or worship. My teaching is like a raft used to cross the river. Only a fool would carry the raft around after he had already reached the other shore, the shore of liberation." - Buddha

"'Is there a God?', 'Where did the world begin?', 'Is there life after death?' They profit not, nor have anything to do with the fundamentals of religious life, and nor do they lead to supreme wisdom.'" - Buddha

The Mahayana branch of Buddhism worships Buddha in the form of statutes as God or the devotee in whose heart God is present. Infact according to Hinduism Buddha is directly the Lord since he is treated as one of the ten human incarnations of the Lord.

It doesn't matter if people worship him as a God or not. It's what he himself taught. People obviously took his philosophy, twisted it, and turned it into a religion even though he clearly stated it is not.

Just like Christianity arose from Islam, Buddhism arose from Hinduism.

Dont you mean Judaism? Islam came after Christianity. And if you're going to get into what religion came from what, they all came from Sumer.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 6:30:19 AM
At 2/12/2010 2:48:03 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." - Buddha<

(Hmm, contradicts Christianity does it not?)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

"My teaching is not a dogma or a doctrine, but no doubt some people will take it as such. I must state clearly that my teaching is a method to experience reality and not reality itself, just as a finger pointing at the moon is not the moon itself. An intelligent person makes use of the finger to see the moon. A person who only looks at the finger and mistakes it for the moon will never see the real moon. My teaching is a means of practice, not something to hold onto or worship. My teaching is like a raft used to cross the river. Only a fool would carry the raft around after he had already reached the other shore, the shore of liberation." - Buddha

"'Is there a God?', 'Where did the world begin?', 'Is there life after death?' They profit not, nor have anything to do with the fundamentals of religious life, and nor do they lead to supreme wisdom.'" - Buddha

Thank you Geo, I now like Buddha :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 10:34:08 AM
At 2/12/2010 2:05:01 AM, dattaswami wrote:
Christianity arose from Islam

Umm...no. Switch it around. Christianity came first(which came from Judaism).
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 10:50:13 AM
The major defect in Christianity is that it is not Judaism and thus denies it's own prophet. It adds totally alien concepts such as the trinity, hell etc. It is difficult to imagine a sect with a true unbroken theological lineage from Christ, maybe the coptics who knows.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 5:00:54 PM
At 2/11/2010 11:16:10 PM, dattaswami wrote:
At 2/8/2010 4:43:13 PM, tkubok wrote:

Reply: from surya

The comments here show the interest in the spiritual satsanga. Unruly behaviour, weird comments. probably this knowledge is looking like a bouncer for these people.

at lotus feet of swami
surya

Actually, i took a class in East Asian religion at my university. After all, how can one argue against something if he has no idea what that is, amirite?
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2010 3:43:11 AM
At 2/13/2010 5:00:54 PM, tkubok wrote:
Actually, i took a class in East Asian religion at my university. After all, how can one argue against something if he has no idea what that is, amirite?

Wow, one whole class?

I suppose that is equal to the amount you have studied Christianity?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2010 5:39:35 AM
At 2/14/2010 3:43:11 AM, PervRat wrote:

Wow, one whole class?

A class can be much more enlightening than a lifetime of blind practice.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
dattaswami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2010 11:02:28 PM
At 2/12/2010 2:48:03 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
How can you say that though? Buddha was clearly an atheist and would be against a lot of the religious claims that you make.

It doesn't matter if people worship him as a God or not. It's what he himself taught. People obviously took his philosophy, twisted it, and turned it into a religion even though he clearly stated it is not.

Reply: Human Incarnations—Spiritual Educational Complex…

Human incarnations of various types, form a complex of various educational institutions. In this complex, there are different levels of institutions such as school, college and university. At each level the human incarnation represents the head of that institution. There is the headmaster for the school, a principal for the college and a chancellor for the university. Various types of assisting staff to assist all the three are also present. The three levels of institutions perform their duties within their limited circles.

School level: Atheist becomes a believer

An uneducated person is first admitted into a school. He then goes to a college and finally to a university. The uneducated person cannot enter the university directly. Similarly an atheist should first become a believer of God by seeing divine miracles. Converting atheists into believers is the main purpose of the first type of human incarnation.

College level: Believer becomes a devotee

After becoming a believer in God (theist), a person should become a devotee through different types of worship and devotional songs. The second type of human incarnation works for this. The above two types (school and college) of incarnations work for the purification of the mind of the person. Only when the mind is completely freed from jealousy and egoism, is it said to be completely purified. Prayers, worship and traditional practices promoted by the second type of human incarnation, purify the mind. Thus the person becomes eligible for Jnana Yoga or the Knowledge of God. Lord Shankara has said that the traditional practices bring about the purification of mind, which makes one eligible for receiving Jnana Yoga.

University level: Devotee becomes a Jnani

At the university level, the devotee becomes a Jnani (possessor of knowledge). Having gained the eligibility to acquire this knowledge, he works to get established in this knowledge, in this step. This third level is the most important level. However if the mind is not completely purified, Jnana Yoga cannot be achieved. Once the person is established in Jnana Yoga, he is liberated. When you have this Jnana Yoga, you will be astonished as said in the Gita (Ascharyavath pasyathi…). The third incarnation reveals the whole true knowledge in order to convert the devotee to a Jnani.

This third incarnation is called the Pari Poorna Tamavataram. The words ‘Pari' and ‘Tama' both indicate the superlative degree. The use of a double superlative degree is to emphasize that there can be no greater Avatara or human incarnation than this. He is God who is fully revealed. He says vehemently that He is God. Lord Krishna is the highest and fullest incarnation (Pari Poorna Tamavataram). Only He can reveal the true knowledge, which can open all the knots of your heart. All your doubts are cleared with this knowledge. Your heart is immersed in the ocean of Bliss. This Avatara reveals Jnana Yoga.

At the lotus feet of Datta Swami
Surya
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2010 9:30:06 AM

Wow, one whole class?

By class, i mean, for an entire year, twice a week for a total of 3 hours a week, with 3 textbooks that cost about $80 each, a midterm and a final exam.

Yeah, it might not be much, but it is still enough to get more than a basic grasp of Hinduism.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 7:44:53 AM
At 2/22/2010 9:30:06 AM, tkubok wrote:

Wow, one whole class?

By class, i mean, for an entire year, twice a week for a total of 3 hours a week, with 3 textbooks that cost about $80 each, a midterm and a final exam.

Yeah, it might not be much, but it is still enough to get more than a basic grasp of Hinduism.

HINDUISM: New Agism for the 3rd world..
The Cross.. the Cross.