Total Posts:46|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

God's Out of Business.

monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 10:38:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

People who believe in God not only believe that God grants life; he gives souls to humans.

Simply creating life is lacking the spiritual aspect, and so nothing is really out of business.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 10:40:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Monty, why do you think this poses a problem for Christianity?
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 11:49:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

DNA is an inherent part of every man. And they don't believe that man was "made from mud." They believe man was created from essential earth minerals, or soil. What does a human body decay into after life is gone?
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 11:55:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

As a matter of fact, I find it a bit amusing that science and religion both say that life was created from the material of the Earth itself, and yet it has become a point of contention between the two. :P
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 12:02:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 11:55:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

As a matter of fact, I find it a bit amusing that science and religion both say that life was created from the material of the Earth itself, and yet it has become a point of contention between the two. :P

+1

Yeah and I fail to understand how altering or manipulating the chemicals of life in a lab is a death blow to religion?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 12:07:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 12:02:03 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:55:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

As a matter of fact, I find it a bit amusing that science and religion both say that life was created from the material of the Earth itself, and yet it has become a point of contention between the two. :P

+1

Yeah and I fail to understand how altering or manipulating the chemicals of life in a lab is a death blow to religion?

It would be a good storyline if in the future people were genetically altered for different traits and some of these genetic coding or SNP were tagged with commercial ID sequences like Copyrights.

And some war or upset scientist create a virus to go around killing all the people alter by transgenetics, so their competition Humanenome gets more business.

Genetic diversity is strength. What we are doing now, like Monsanto and ilk is setting us all up for failure.
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 12:12:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 11:49:56 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

DNA is an inherent part of every man. And they don't believe that man was "made from mud." They believe man was created from essential earth minerals, or soil. What does a human body decay into after life is gone?

Yeah you're right, no water involved it was dry mud.....just dirt, still no DNA involved.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 1:45:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 12:12:19 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:49:56 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

DNA is an inherent part of every man. And they don't believe that man was "made from mud." They believe man was created from essential earth minerals, or soil. What does a human body decay into after life is gone?

Yeah you're right, no water involved it was dry mud.....just dirt, still no DNA involved.

I still don't get where you're coming from. Some type of solvent is obviously necessary in order for chemicals and minerals to mix. When the body dies the moisture is released back into to Earth's system just as the rest is. I mean, think about it like you would any scientific theory. You'd use your own intelligence to piece it all together, right? You wouldn't want all the parts to be over-explained as if your were a child or something.
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 1:48:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 12:02:03 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:55:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

As a matter of fact, I find it a bit amusing that science and religion both say that life was created from the material of the Earth itself, and yet it has become a point of contention between the two. :P

+1

Yeah and I fail to understand how altering or manipulating the chemicals of life in a lab is a death blow to religion?

That's the part he seems to be overlooking. How does creation disprove creation? It's definitely a major breakthrough, but nothing in the article mentions how this gives us any comprehensive understanding of the origins of life. :-/
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 1:51:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 1:45:23 AM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/8/2014 12:12:19 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:49:56 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

DNA is an inherent part of every man. And they don't believe that man was "made from mud." They believe man was created from essential earth minerals, or soil. What does a human body decay into after life is gone?

Yeah you're right, no water involved it was dry mud.....just dirt, still no DNA involved.

I still don't get where you're coming from. Some type of solvent is obviously necessary in order for chemicals and minerals to mix. When the body dies the moisture is released back into to Earth's system just as the rest is. I mean, think about it like you would any scientific theory. You'd use your own intelligence to piece it all together, right? You wouldn't want all the parts to be over-explained as if your were a child or something.
Creationism (the bible) says a handful of dirt, no chemical reaction, no DNA involved. This isn't my story.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 1:51:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 12:12:19 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:49:56 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

DNA is an inherent part of every man. And they don't believe that man was "made from mud." They believe man was created from essential earth minerals, or soil. What does a human body decay into after life is gone?

Yeah you're right, no water involved it was dry mud.....just dirt, still no DNA involved.

There are many that relate the root words of adam to meaning red mud. So that would be water and most red stuff is iron. Life is in the blood. Which is Iron based and red.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 1:55:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 1:51:04 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/8/2014 1:45:23 AM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/8/2014 12:12:19 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:49:56 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

DNA is an inherent part of every man. And they don't believe that man was "made from mud." They believe man was created from essential earth minerals, or soil. What does a human body decay into after life is gone?

Yeah you're right, no water involved it was dry mud.....just dirt, still no DNA involved.

I still don't get where you're coming from. Some type of solvent is obviously necessary in order for chemicals and minerals to mix. When the body dies the moisture is released back into to Earth's system just as the rest is. I mean, think about it like you would any scientific theory. You'd use your own intelligence to piece it all together, right? You wouldn't want all the parts to be over-explained as if your were a child or something.
Creationism (the bible) says a handful of dirt, no chemical reaction, no DNA involved. This isn't my story.

wow so do you expect the bible, that is more akin to a love story about the relationship of man and god, to be a scientific manual.

Like you expect genesis to say then God took DNA and made it this way and that, and blew bubbles of lipids into cell envelopes?! Wow. just I have nothing to say to rationally combat that kind of standard for scripture.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:42:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 1:51:04 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/8/2014 1:45:23 AM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/8/2014 12:12:19 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:49:56 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

DNA is an inherent part of every man. And they don't believe that man was "made from mud." They believe man was created from essential earth minerals, or soil. What does a human body decay into after life is gone?

Yeah you're right, no water involved it was dry mud.....just dirt, still no DNA involved.

I still don't get where you're coming from. Some type of solvent is obviously necessary in order for chemicals and minerals to mix. When the body dies the moisture is released back into to Earth's system just as the rest is. I mean, think about it like you would any scientific theory. You'd use your own intelligence to piece it all together, right? You wouldn't want all the parts to be over-explained as if your were a child or something.
Creationism (the bible) says a handful of dirt, no chemical reaction, no DNA involved. This isn't my story.

LOL, why are some atheists more funadmentalist than fundamentalist Christians?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 9:45:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 9:42:15 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/8/2014 1:51:04 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/8/2014 1:45:23 AM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/8/2014 12:12:19 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:49:56 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

DNA is an inherent part of every man. And they don't believe that man was "made from mud." They believe man was created from essential earth minerals, or soil. What does a human body decay into after life is gone?

Yeah you're right, no water involved it was dry mud.....just dirt, still no DNA involved.

I still don't get where you're coming from. Some type of solvent is obviously necessary in order for chemicals and minerals to mix. When the body dies the moisture is released back into to Earth's system just as the rest is. I mean, think about it like you would any scientific theory. You'd use your own intelligence to piece it all together, right? You wouldn't want all the parts to be over-explained as if your were a child or something.
Creationism (the bible) says a handful of dirt, no chemical reaction, no DNA involved. This isn't my story.

LOL, why are some atheists more funadmentalist than fundamentalist Christians?

My post was referring to creationism, what's your point?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
ethang5
Posts: 4,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 10:59:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

Ho hum. The number of times I've seen "God's out of business" claims would dazzle you. It is clear you haven't a clue what business God is in.

I inserted a tiny script into the windows OS code.
Bill Gates is out of business!
Sswdwm
Posts: 1,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 11:00:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 9:42:15 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/8/2014 1:51:04 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/8/2014 1:45:23 AM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/8/2014 12:12:19 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:49:56 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 11:36:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:52:34 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:06:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:58:54 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself, or what you think that article represented. Why should it be a surprise that DNA might be created or altered?

Early attempt at damage control for whatever reason?
After all, it's only DNA that has been created. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I don't see why you are so excited. After all, creationists have said that DNA was created from the very beginning.
Creationists claim that man was made from mud, no DNA mentioned.

DNA is an inherent part of every man. And they don't believe that man was "made from mud." They believe man was created from essential earth minerals, or soil. What does a human body decay into after life is gone?

Yeah you're right, no water involved it was dry mud.....just dirt, still no DNA involved.

I still don't get where you're coming from. Some type of solvent is obviously necessary in order for chemicals and minerals to mix. When the body dies the moisture is released back into to Earth's system just as the rest is. I mean, think about it like you would any scientific theory. You'd use your own intelligence to piece it all together, right? You wouldn't want all the parts to be over-explained as if your were a child or something.
Creationism (the bible) says a handful of dirt, no chemical reaction, no DNA involved. This isn't my story.

LOL, why are some atheists more funadmentalist than fundamentalist Christians?

Why does that surprise you? People are people.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:
http://www.debate.org...

God most likely exists:
http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 11:08:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Not to be insulting, but this was a pretty pointless thread. The leap of faith to say it disproves God, is as bad as the leap of faith to say it proves a certain god.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 12:19:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 10:40:27 PM, philochristos wrote:
Monty, why do you think this poses a problem for Christianity?

I'm not really sure it will pose a problem for Christianity in the near term because as I said, religion was expecting it and it has it's ducks lined up on how to play it down.

It's the creation of new life forms in the lab and that is breaking ground that has remained sacred up until now.

I'm also looking at the beliefs of brother neutral who appears to be representing the views of the catholic church. I think that new age Christianity is largely being rejected by Christians because they don't believe the problems with creationist theories can be reconciled that way. Yet at the same time the catholic church is smart enough to understand that it can't continue to deny the facts of evolution.

So I see this as the big breakthrough that trumps all of evolutionary theory because it's real and tangible proof that is going to substantiate the origins of life theories and the fact that Christianity could rely on their denial of such until this.

I think it's a too sophisticate argument for the people on this forum, except for perhaps brother neutral who hasn't been afraid to open the door to some new understanding. That is, he and the catholic church are throwing out nearly all ancient superstitiouis beliefs in favour of something that can stand up at least temporarily to scientific facts. An abundance of interpretations that can stand up to science by cleverly tuning it's beliefs with science.

This creation of DNA transcends all of that now, at least if it's interpreted correctly.

To see a higher level of commenting on this work see the comments that are made at HP that follow the story. They're not playing it down in the same way it's being played down here.
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 12:31:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
philochristos, After you have read a couple of pages of the comments that follow that story, would you comment on the tone you are hearing from the Christians. I won't spill the beans right now but I think it's pretty obvious.

And maybe some others could comment on what they are hearing from Christians too?
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 12:50:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 12:19:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:40:27 PM, philochristos wrote:
Monty, why do you think this poses a problem for Christianity?

I'm not really sure it will pose a problem for Christianity in the near term because as I said, religion was expecting it and it has it's ducks lined up on how to play it down.

What do you mean by 'play down'? What's there to play down?

It's the creation of new life forms in the lab and that is breaking ground that has remained sacred up until now.

Do you mean creating new life forms is immoral from a Christian perspective?

I'm also looking at the beliefs of brother neutral who appears to be representing the views of the catholic church. I think that new age Christianity is largely being rejected by Christians because they don't believe the problems with creationist theories can be reconciled that way. Yet at the same time the catholic church is smart enough to understand that it can't continue to deny the facts of evolution.

I'm not really following you here. What is new age Christianity? What does it have to do with creationism and evolution? What do you mean by 'reconciled that way'? What way?

So I see this as the big breakthrough that trumps all of evolutionary theory because it's real and tangible proof that is going to substantiate the origins of life theories and the fact that Christianity could rely on their denial of such until this.

How does the creation of life in the lab substantiate origin of life theories? Which ones? What do you mean by 'trumps all of evolutionary theory,' and how does the creation of life in the lab do that?

I think it's a too sophisticate argument for the people on this forum, except for perhaps brother neutral who hasn't been afraid to open the door to some new understanding.

Are you saying you have an argument you're not telling us because neutral is the only one who would understand it?

That is, he and the catholic church are throwing out nearly all ancient superstitiouis beliefs in favour of something that can stand up at least temporarily to scientific facts. An abundance of interpretations that can stand up to science by cleverly tuning it's beliefs with science.

Do you think the ability to engineer DNA is inconsistent with what most Christians believe? What belief is it inconsistent with, and how so?

This creation of DNA transcends all of that now, at least if it's interpreted correctly.

Transcends what? What do you mean?

To see a higher level of commenting on this work see the comments that are made at HP that follow the story. They're not playing it down in the same way it's being played down here.

I'll have to look at them later. I'm away from home on my iPhone now. But I don't know what you mean by playing down.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 12:52:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 12:31:24 PM, monty1 wrote:
philochristos, After you have read a couple of pages of the comments that follow that story, would you comment on the tone you are hearing from the Christians. I won't spill the beans right now but I think it's pretty obvious.

Yeah, I'll look at them later when I'm in front of a computer. I just have my iPhone right now.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Crescendo
Posts: 470
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 1:04:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/7/2014 9:22:44 PM, monty1 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Christians have known that this was coming so they should have their ducks lined up in the damage control department.

None of which is really going to help them!

Perhaps, but don't forget that this created organism was formed by intelligent creatures (humans). This doesn't really prove anything.
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
http://www.debate.org...
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 1:06:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 12:50:44 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 5/8/2014 12:19:09 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 5/7/2014 10:40:27 PM, philochristos wrote:
Monty, why do you think this poses a problem for Christianity?

I'm not really sure it will pose a problem for Christianity in the near term because as I said, religion was expecting it and it has it's ducks lined up on how to play it down.

What do you mean by 'play down'? What's there to play down?

It's the creation of new life forms in the lab and that is breaking ground that has remained sacred up until now.

Do you mean creating new life forms is immoral from a Christian perspective?

I'm also looking at the beliefs of brother neutral who appears to be representing the views of the catholic church. I think that new age Christianity is largely being rejected by Christians because they don't believe the problems with creationist theories can be reconciled that way. Yet at the same time the catholic church is smart enough to understand that it can't continue to deny the facts of evolution.

I'm not really following you here. What is new age Christianity? What does it have to do with creationism and evolution? What do you mean by 'reconciled that way'? What way?

So I see this as the big breakthrough that trumps all of evolutionary theory because it's real and tangible proof that is going to substantiate the origins of life theories and the fact that Christianity could rely on their denial of such until this.

How does the creation of life in the lab substantiate origin of life theories? Which ones? What do you mean by 'trumps all of evolutionary theory,' and how does the creation of life in the lab do that?

I think it's a too sophisticate argument for the people on this forum, except for perhaps brother neutral who hasn't been afraid to open the door to some new understanding.

Are you saying you have an argument you're not telling us because neutral is the only one who would understand it?

That is, he and the catholic church are throwing out nearly all ancient superstitiouis beliefs in favour of something that can stand up at least temporarily to scientific facts. An abundance of interpretations that can stand up to science by cleverly tuning it's beliefs with science.

Do you think the ability to engineer DNA is inconsistent with what most Christians believe? What belief is it inconsistent with, and how so?

This creation of DNA transcends all of that now, at least if it's interpreted correctly.

Transcends what? What do you mean?

To see a higher level of commenting on this work see the comments that are made at HP that follow the story. They're not playing it down in the same way it's being played down here.

I'll have to look at them later. I'm away from home on my iPhone now. But I don't know what you mean by playing down.

I mean it's being played down as insignificant and not a breakthrough representing the creation of life in the lab. I don't think the word 'immoral' describes it at all. The comments I wanted you to look at are showing fear by Christians. That which I refer to as 'new age christianity' is that which tries to reconcile scientific knowledge with Christianity by throwing out all the superstitious beliefs that have been proven to be such. Creation of new life forms in the lab proves that it is possible. It doesn't require a god to create life. That's what I mean with the phrase, 'god is out of business'. Brother neutral is the only Christian that has attempted to reconcile scientific facts of evolution with creation in any meaningful way so far. The creation of life in the lab is inconsistent with god being the creator, or in fact, the only creator.

I'm attempting to put this discussion between you and I in a different format because the forum's format is time consuming and frustrating to deal with. You need only copy and paste my answers to all you questions. I hope I've dealt with all of them.
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 1:10:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I should have also said that brother neutral's belief now includes believing that jesus was a mortal man. I'm not sure if the catholic church goes that far yet but he does insist that he is in tune with the church.

Him taking that step implies to me that there is nothing left of the bible that hasn't been reinterpreted to make it consistent with science and in fact evolution. I'm saying that's a step too far for Christianity as a whole. It's much more than just a rejection of YEC.
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 1:11:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/8/2014 12:31:24 PM, monty1 wrote:
philochristos, After you have read a couple of pages of the comments that follow that story, would you comment on the tone you are hearing from the Christians. I won't spill the beans right now but I think it's pretty obvious.

Okay, I read a couple of pages of comments. I can't tell who the Christians are, but the reviews seem mixed. One person thinks this proves life could emerge naturally anywhere in the universe and that this disproves the necessity of God, but he doesn't explain how it proves that except to say that a larger variety of bases could work than just the four in our DNA. A couple of other people think this proves life needs a designer, but they don't explain how it shows that. Some people thought it would blow the minds of the religious right, but the don't explain why it should. Some people think the potential is great because we could have better cancer treatments. Some people think its dangerous. So the tone seems pretty mixed to me.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle