Jump to topic:

Spirituality

SaintNick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 9:00:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does anyone here consider themselves to be spiritual but not religious? If so, what do you believe and what denominations if any do you follow?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 10:31:00 AM
I happen to find Unitarian Universalism really interesting and inviting. I'll use the Wiki definition: It is a theologically liberal religion characterized by its support for a "free and responsible search for truth and meaning." Unitarian Universalists do not share a creed; rather, they are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth. Unitarian Universalists draw on many different theological sources and have a wide range of beliefs and practices.

There is no single unifying belief that all Unitarian Universalists (UUs) hold, aside from complete and responsible freedom of speech, thought, belief, faith, and disposition. They believe that each person is free to search for his or her own personal truth on issues, such as the existence, nature, and meaning of life, deities, creation, and afterlife. UUs can come from any religious background, and hold beliefs from a variety of cultures or religions.

Concepts about deity are diverse among UUs. Some believe that there is no god (atheism); others believe in many gods (polytheism). Some believe that God is a metaphor for a transcendent reality. Some believe in a female god (goddess), a passive god (Deism), an Abrahamic god, or a god manifested in nature or the universe (pantheism). Many UUs reject the idea of deities and instead speak of the "spirit of life" that binds all life on earth. UUs support each person's search for truth and meaning in concepts of spirituality.

Principles:

- The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and society;
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

http://www.uua.org...
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 11:57:32 AM
Religion destroys spirituality, so I don't see how any religious person could be considered spiritual to begin with.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 1:36:41 PM
At 2/8/2010 9:00:34 AM, SaintNick wrote:
Does anyone here consider themselves to be spiritual but not religious? If so, what do you believe and what denominations if any do you follow?

I don't even know what people mean when they say that they are spiritual. As of this moment, spirituality is a vacuous construct, at least to me.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 4:08:35 PM
At 2/8/2010 1:36:41 PM, Freeman wrote:

I don't even know what people mean when they say that they are spiritual.

I think it means different things to different people... believing in a creator ; believing in karma ; believing in a "higher purpose" or that life wasn't an accident ; believing in divine interconnectedness ; etc.
President of DDO
Lafayette_Lion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 11:06:55 AM

No. I suggest you read "Blue Like Jazz" By Donald Miller. Religion dosen't get you into heaven. Belief in Jesus as God's son does...

http://www.billygraham.org...
http://www.sbc.net...
Lafayette_Lion
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 11:12:49 AM

no. when most people talk about "spirituality" they mean what I think of as "religion"; that is, unreasonable belief.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 4:16:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago

I consider myself to be spiritual because that's what Christianity focuses on.