Jump to topic:

All knowing vs. All powerful

Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 1:11:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Which would you rather be? Or do you think one naturally encompasses the other? Or which of these would your perfect deity be?
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 2:22:14 PM
At 5/13/2014 1:11:39 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
Which would you rather be? Or do you think one naturally encompasses the other? Or which of these would your perfect deity be?

As a human being, I cannot honestly cognate either of these conditions.

And neither of these conditions are relevant to my concept of "God".
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 2:43:30 PM

If I would have all power, I could get all knowledge. And if I would have all knowledge, I could get all power.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 3:17:47 PM
At 5/13/2014 2:43:30 PM, 12_13 wrote:

If I would have all power, I could get all knowledge. And if I would have all knowledge, I could get all power.

I contest the second claim. Just because you know about something doesn't mean you can do it. You can know that something impossible and still have all knowledge. Your simply would say that there is no way to get infinite power, and you would still know everything.
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 1:44:57 AM
God mode is awful. It means there's nothing to aim for. I'd rather be human, thanks.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 2:31:55 AM
At 5/14/2014 1:44:57 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
God mode is awful. It means there's nothing to aim for. I'd rather be human, thanks.

For you it's : Let's be bunnies!!

Well after all we can only be what we are already.
Valtin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 3:23:07 AM

I'd rather be a turtle, turtles are cool.
Signature does not exist.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:15:38 AM
At 5/13/2014 3:17:47 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

I contest the second claim. Just because you know about something doesn't mean you can do it. You can know that something impossible and still have all knowledge. Your simply would say that there is no way to get infinite power, and you would still know everything.

Yeah, interesting - if you have all power, you can have all knowledge, since you can force everything to work as planned. But the converse doesn't follow.

But then that brings up the interesting question - where does knowledge come from? Do we even know the ultimate cause?

And btw, I think the 'perfect deity' concept is often bogus in that it implies a static deity, which would hardly be optimal. Just as a great painting must have variations in hue and brightness, so a uniform deity is of no use to anyone. I suspect that 'perfect' itself is a finite concept and doesn't belong in the calculus of the infinite. God's goodness is a living thing - "That in the ages to come he [will] show us the exceeding riches of his grace in Christ Jesus" So divine perfection is a forever growing thing, not a static thing.
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:20:28 AM

Right, so this conception of 'God mode' is flawed. The cyclical model of the eastern religions is a shadow of the real truth, of the eternally flowing God, but the real truth, I think, escapes us because it just blows our mind: God is eternally growing. There is no limit in any direction. Which is such an exciting concept that it's frightening. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" - not the bully sort of fear, but that cosmic awe that comes when we just begin to get a sense of what God is.
This space for rent.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 3:25:22 PM
I contest the second claim. Just because you know about something doesn't mean you can do it.

If you would have all knowledge, you would know how to get all power.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 7:41:29 PM

I wouldn't want to be either. I think it would make life pretty dull to always know what's about to happen and/or to never face a challenge. My perfect deity would be one who is what he is and needs no aggrandizement.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 7:45:16 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:15:38 AM, v3nesl wrote:

Yeah, interesting - if you have all power, you can have all knowledge, since you can force everything to work as planned. But the converse doesn't follow.

But then that brings up the interesting question - where does knowledge come from? Do we even know the ultimate cause?

And btw, I think the 'perfect deity' concept is often bogus in that it implies a static deity, which would hardly be optimal. Just as a great painting must have variations in hue and brightness, so a uniform deity is of no use to anyone. I suspect that 'perfect' itself is a finite concept and doesn't belong in the calculus of the infinite. God's goodness is a living thing - "That in the ages to come he [will] show us the exceeding riches of his grace in Christ Jesus" So divine perfection is a forever growing thing, not a static thing.

It's an interesting argument. I mean, if you have all knowledge do you know how to gain all power?
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 7:46:37 PM
At 5/14/2014 11:20:28 AM, v3nesl wrote:

Right, so this conception of 'God mode' is flawed. The cyclical model of the eastern religions is a shadow of the real truth, of the eternally flowing God, but the real truth, I think, escapes us because it just blows our mind: God is eternally growing. There is no limit in any direction. Which is such an exciting concept that it's frightening. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" - not the bully sort of fear, but that cosmic awe that comes when we just begin to get a sense of what God is.

I so relate to that.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 10:22:32 PM
At 5/14/2014 3:25:22 PM, 12_13 wrote:
I contest the second claim. Just because you know about something doesn't mean you can do it.

If you would have all knowledge, you would know how to get all power.

Not necessarily. If the information doesn't exist, then you have all knowledge. If it is impossible to gain all power, then you know that the answer to the question of whether being all powerful is possible is false.

If no answer exists, and you know that there is no answer, then you can still have all knowledge.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 11:00:25 PM

It's interesting, isn't it?

That humans find pleasure in being limited.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 2:34:48 PM
At 5/15/2014 11:00:25 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Yeah, our first instinct is that being immortal would mean we're untouchable. But maybe being infinite brings the ability to suffer infinitely.
This space for rent.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 3:44:50 PM

I think of it as finding pleasure is striving and prospering. I may enjoy the short-term novelty of being all-knowing or all-powerful, but I wouldn't want it long term.

May the best man win!
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:00:25 PM
At 5/16/2014 2:34:48 PM, v3nesl wrote:

Yeah, our first instinct is that being immortal would mean we're untouchable. But maybe being infinite brings the ability to suffer infinitely.

A perfect being such as God would not suffer.

"Know that there are two kinds of knowledge: the knowledge of the essence of a thing and the knowledge of its qualities. The essence of a thing is known through its qualities; otherwise, it is unknown and hidden."

"As our knowledge of things, even of created and limited things, is knowledge of their qualities and not of their essence, how is it possible to comprehend in its essence the Divine Reality, which is unlimited? ... Knowing God, therefore, means the comprehension and the knowledge of His attributes, and not of His Reality. This knowledge of the attributes is also proportioned to the capacity and power of man; it is not absolute."

How can we say that being "unlimited," "omnipotent," or "perfect" would be a bad thing if we cannot even understand it? It would be akin to an ignorant person denouncing those who are intelligent, believing it is better to be ignorant, when in reality this arises (not surprisingly) from his own ignorance.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:01:47 PM
At 5/16/2014 3:44:50 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

I think of it as finding pleasure is striving and prospering. I may enjoy the short-term novelty of being all-knowing or all-powerful, but I wouldn't want it long term.

How do you know you wouldn't want it, though? This would presume that you understand what it would be like to be a being such as God - a prospect so unimaginable that it will likely never happen. Humans will never be able to comprehend that which we call God.
ArcTImes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 4:13:21 PM

But if you know everything, then you can do everything too because you know how to do it.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 5:32:06 AM
At 5/16/2014 4:01:47 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

How do you know you wouldn't want it, though? This would presume that you understand what it would be like to be a being such as God - a prospect so unimaginable that it will likely never happen. Humans will never be able to comprehend that which we call God.

I feel like I wouldn't want it. Why would I want it?

May the best man win!
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 1:52:02 PM
At 5/16/2014 4:00:25 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Well, the Bible, both old and new testaments, disagree totally. Just a few chapters into Genesis we read of God "and his heart was filled with pain". And of the course, the central feature of Christianity is the cross.

So, the God of the Bible is a God who suffers more than humans do, not less. We are offered the hope of pain being conquered once and for all, but conquered by taking the pain, not avoiding it.
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 1:53:47 PM
At 5/16/2014 4:13:21 PM, ArcTImes wrote:

But if you know everything, then you can do everything too because you know how to do it.

But if you're creative, you can invent new stuff.
This space for rent.
ArcTImes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 2:43:36 PM
At 5/17/2014 1:53:47 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/16/2014 4:13:21 PM, ArcTImes wrote:

But if you're creative, you can invent new stuff.

But there should not be anything to invent if you know everything.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 2:46:40 PM
At 5/17/2014 5:32:06 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

I don't know why you would want "it," because I'm not you. I was asking why you wouldn't want "it."
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 2:54:07 PM
At 5/17/2014 1:52:02 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/16/2014 4:00:25 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Well, the Bible, both old and new testaments, disagree totally. Just a few chapters into Genesis we read of God "and his heart was filled with pain". And of the course, the central feature of Christianity is the cross.

So, the God of the Bible is a God who suffers more than humans do, not less. We are offered the hope of pain being conquered once and for all, but conquered by taking the pain, not avoiding it.

I see what you mean. Perhaps I worded it wrongly. When God feels "pain" or "sadness," I believe this suffering is completely overdriven by God's positive attributes - love, in particular. His love for us outshines any "negative feelings" that he may contain. Other positive attributes also include happiness, kindness, peace, and harmony, all of which are far greater than any suffering God could experience.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 10:34:16 AM
At 5/17/2014 2:46:40 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

I don't know why you would want "it," because I'm not you. I was asking why you wouldn't want "it."

I explained before. I want to be able to strive to achieve things. If I could achieve everything instantaneously, I'd achieve everything I want, I'd have won. Then I'd sit there, wanting to strive for something for my own self-fulfillment. There would be nothing left to do though, it would be the end.

May the best man win!
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 12:01:41 PM
At 5/18/2014 10:34:16 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

I explained before. I want to be able to strive to achieve things. If I could achieve everything instantaneously, I'd achieve everything I want, I'd have won. Then I'd sit there, wanting to strive for something for my own self-fulfillment. There would be nothing left to do though, it would be the end.

I also addressed this.

You seem to think that that's what would happen if you were omnipotent, but you don't actually know. We can never understand that which is infinite, omniscient, and omnipotent due to our finite minds. We think "there'd be no purpose," but we can't actually know that, because we don't understand it.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 12:13:11 PM
At 5/18/2014 12:01:41 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/18/2014 10:34:16 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

I also addressed this.

You seem to think that that's what would happen if you were omnipotent, but you don't actually know. We can never understand that which is infinite, omniscient, and omnipotent due to our finite minds. We think "there'd be no purpose," but we can't actually know that, because we don't understand it.

And because that's what I think will happen, I don't want to be omnipotent or omniscient. I guess I don't "know" what will happen, but that doesn't mean I'd choose to be either of them. It's not worth the (from my perspective) great risk.

May the best man win!