Jump to topic:

Atheists can go to Heaven now

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 7:41:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Pope Francis said atheists who do good during their lives can go to Heaven [http://www.catholic.org...]

Jesus said that whatever laws the pope makes on Earth will be honored in heaven.

"'And I also say to you that you are Peter . . . AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE KEYS OF THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN . . .'"

"'Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you BIND on earth will be BOUND in heaven, and whatever you LOOSE on earth will be LOOSED in heaven.'" (Matthew 16:18-19, 18:18)
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 7:44:55 PM
I'd like to speak for atheists everywhere when I say I'm rejoicing in ways that simply go without description.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 8:01:54 PM
At 5/15/2014 7:44:55 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
I'd like to speak for atheists everywhere when I say I'm rejoicing in ways that simply go without description.

You aren't eating babies, are you?
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 8:07:31 PM
Nah, I'm only kidding. I've cut down to like 3 a week these days, so it's got to be 10% of my time at most.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 8:14:46 PM
At 5/15/2014 8:07:31 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
Nah, I'm only kidding. I've cut down to like 3 a week these days, so it's got to be 10% of my time at most.

That is still very rude.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 8:32:51 PM
At 5/15/2014 8:27:01 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
They'd only turn themselves into more children, sooner or later.

Little fvckers.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 8:41:59 PM
At 5/15/2014 8:37:09 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
Lazy little sh*ts, too.

*turns around dramatically*
Clearly it's time for a eugenics program.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 8:52:19 PM
You dream to small. I was thinking more along the lines of extreme negative utilitarian action.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 9:49:00 PM
At 5/15/2014 7:41:46 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Pope Francis said atheists who do good during their lives can go to Heaven [http://www.catholic.org...]

Jesus said that whatever laws the pope makes on Earth will be honored in heaven.

"'And I also say to you that you are Peter . . . AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE KEYS OF THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN . . .'"

"'Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you BIND on earth will be BOUND in heaven, and whatever you LOOSE on earth will be LOOSED in heaven.'" (Matthew 16:18-19, 18:18)

Where did Jesus say that the things he allotted to Peter would in future years be allotted to whichever man happened to be selected by an emperor or elected by a group of bishops?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 10:07:49 PM
At 5/15/2014 9:49:00 PM, Idealist wrote:

Where did Jesus say that the things he allotted to Peter would in future years be allotted to whichever man happened to be selected by an emperor or elected by a group of bishops?

In the Greek [from which the Bible was translated], "Peter" means "rock", and Jesus said, "on this rock I will build my church." "Peter" refers not to a specific person, but to the rock upon which Jesus built his church -- i.e. the leader of his church here on Earth.

Checkmate
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 10:49:29 PM
At 5/15/2014 10:07:49 PM, bluesteel wrote:

In the Greek [from which the Bible was translated], "Peter" means "rock", and Jesus said, "on this rock I will build my church." "Peter" refers not to a specific person, but to the rock upon which Jesus built his church -- i.e. the leader of his church here on Earth.

Checkmate

Sounds like a lot cherry-picking and convenient translation to me, but then that's what religion usually leads to, especially Catholic religion. I wasn't aware we were playing a game of chess. :-/
SemperVI
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 10:56:07 PM

I already knew this - with all due respect to Catholics, I did not need man in Italy to tell me this. He was just letting the cat out of the catacombs
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 10:58:12 PM

Checkmate

Just curious, tho. Did Jesus also say that in his church the popes would be appointed by pagan emperors who claimed to be gods themselves? Did he say that crooked officials of the Church would have the authority to sell prime plots of "real estate" in Heaven, and to forgive sins in return for payment? Do you really have such a poor opinion of the morals of Jesus?
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 11:07:40 PM

What if two popes make contradicting rules? In example, what if a pope had said differently before?
Dude... Stop...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 11:19:20 PM
At 5/15/2014 10:58:12 PM, Idealist wrote:

Checkmate

Just curious, tho. Did Jesus also say that in his church the popes would be appointed by pagan emperors who claimed to be gods themselves? Did he say that crooked officials of the Church would have the authority to sell prime plots of "real estate" in Heaven, and to forgive sins in return for payment? Do you really have such a poor opinion of the morals of Jesus?

no i just think he wasn't omniscient
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 11:35:33 AM

Not nearly as easy as you say. First of all this is not an official declaration by the Pope and as such does not invoke Papal binding and loosing.

For a bit more of a nuanced approach:

http://www.ncregister.com...

or

https://www.catholic.org...
seeking-knowledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 11:38:51 AM
Well, I'm no one to go against the Pope's words... but, wouldn't it be more logical saying that people who enjoy good things, and believe in God (without restricting to only one religion) may go to Heaven?
Seeking for truth, and knowledge.
Brendan21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 11:56:13 AM

Bible hundreds of years after the events? Greek. Jesus and company? Aramaic with no writing. What book are we really reading?
Checkmate
Nah, spinal.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 9:06:30 PM
At 5/15/2014 11:19:20 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Checkmate

I don't think he was omniscient, either. I think a lot of characteristics attributed to Jesus are just fictional powers invented by men. With that said, however, I do have a very high respect for him and for what he did and taught.
E_Pluribus_Unum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 9:26:45 PM

Checkmate

http://www.greekbible.com...

The above link is a website for the Greek New Testament. If one is to put Matthew 16:18 under the passage desired, the verse in Koine Greek would come up. The eighth word shown in the link for Peter is Petros, while the thirteenth for rock is petra. These are two different words in the masculine and feminine respectively. Petros refers specifically refers to a stone or detached rock the could be moved, while petra refers to a mass of rock. Not only are the words two different genders, but also having an entirely different lexicography.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 10:02:23 PM
At 5/15/2014 11:19:20 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Jesus said he would build his church on this rock, was a play on peters name. again tho, if I say I will build my business on the back of my partner, named Backbone Spinoza. Does not mean that the people that come after him have the same authority.

Checkmate

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 10:18:33 PM
At 5/15/2014 11:07:40 PM, Fanath wrote:

What if two popes make contradicting rules? In example, what if a pope had said differently before?

A cage match ! Winner rules.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 10:28:27 PM

LMAO. Neither Jesus nor Peter ever heard of any "pope". In fact, Peter never had a "successor".

The same authority was given to all of the apostles - and to no one else.

I take it that this OP was made as a joke. Surely.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."