Jump to topic:

Churches around the globe

schachdame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 5:50:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hey guys, I recently returned from a one and a half year in New Zealand back to Germany and I still feel very strongly that religion, especially Christianity is practiced very differently in different parts of the world. So I'd love to hear what other people have experienced.

To show the contrast I am talking about in an anecdote: The first week in New Zealand I was actively approached on campus and invited to something that was obviously a get-together of young Christians or those who were interested in that believe. As I am curious about everything I agreed in participating. Turned out to be a modern concert in the Town Hall with Lightning Show and a "Priest" on a gigantic FlatScreen. I was shocked. I've been to many ecumenical youth-gatherings (means a meeting that welcomes all christian believes) but this was decadent, opulent, expensive and obviously trying to sell me books about Jesus. I am still sure they were partly a sect.
Around Christmas I went to a catholic church because my grandmother was in town and insisted. And heard the most conservative sermon in years. Including the "fact", that people who have sex before marriage go to hell. Seriously guys, I was raised in the most catholic small village there is, but when I meet my Priest at the bakery and told him that I am strongly sympathizing with Agnosticism he smiled and and said, he hoped we would still be friends. I went to an all-girls catholic school and they sent us on STDs-prevention-trips and had sex-education that strongly encouraged us to use condoms. Never heard of anyone's parents protesting. The first time someone told me incorrect things about sex and STDs was the public-high-school-teacher that explained me that the HIV-virus is so small that condoms cannot protect you and that you should not use them therefore.

This is not intended as an example of how "great" the catholic church. I rather hope this topic will show that what people have very different perceptions of the same religion because of the fact where they were raised.

Feel free to comment and share your stories here.