What do you atheists/agnostics think?

seeking-knowledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 8:38:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Peace everyone,

I do NOT want to start a discussion or a debate.
I just want to know what you think.

I am a believer and I also believe in evolution, though I have to study to develop my own (and who knows, mayeb a better/more "elaborate") opinion.

But then, who/what's behind the creation of the primordial/primitive forms of life who later evoluted?

Thank you everyone.

[sorry for my bad English, by the way.]
Seeking for truth, and knowledge.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 9:00:25 AM
At 5/19/2014 8:38:00 AM, seeking-knowledge wrote:
Peace everyone,

I am a believer and I also believe in evolution, though I have to study to develop my own (and who knows, mayeb a better/more "elaborate") opinion.

But then, who/what's behind the creation of the primordial/primitive forms of life who later evoluted?

Thank you everyone.

It's nice to see you asking questions.
Agnostics don't KNOW if a god exists.
Atheists don't BELIEVE a god exists.

Whatever else they think is as varied as the thoughts of any believer. Humans think about all sorts of things, believers and non believers alike.

What do you think about?
I mean no disrespect, but I have been on this rock for a lot longer than you and I meant what I said in my first sentence. It's great to have someone your age asking questions.

I think about my family about my children and grandchildren and great grandchildren, I think about my friends, I think about people. People I know, people I don't know. I'm concerned by the inequality and inequity of our systems of power and control. These are some of the things THIS atheist thinks about.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 9:11:32 AM
The thought that I would like to share is that it's not only possible, but likely, that a person would be both agnostic, and atheist, or agnostic and theist, simultaneously. And this is so simply because we humans are rarely absolutely convinced of anything. Especially if we are being honest with ourselves about what we can actually know, with any certainty.

I am an agnostic about the existence of God, and yet I am not. By that I mean I have no idea what God is, and therefor cannot claim to know that God exists. And yet I recognize that there is a great mystery hidden within existence, that contains it's source, sustenance and purpose, and that this mystery is at the heart of my own experience of being. And by most definitions of the term "god", this great mystery is God.

I know that it is, but I don't know what it is. And because it is the ultimate mystery, I call it "God".

Also, I find that by keeping this great mystery in mind, and imagining that it is manifesting in my world through characteristics like love, and forgiveness, and kindness, and generosity, my experience of life is much improved. Again, I have no proof that "God" is manifesting in my reality through these characteristics, but I don't know that God is NOT manifesting in my reality through these characteristics, either. So I choose to believe that God is manifesting in this way, and because I choose to believe that, I find my experience of life is much more positive, happy, and healthy.

Because I am essentially agnostic, due to the limitations of my human nature, I am free to then choose what I want to believe about "God". And I find that to be a very effective asset in living my life.
seeking-knowledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 12:16:23 PM
At 5/19/2014 9:00:25 AM, bulproof wrote:
Peace everyone,

Thank you everyone.

It's nice to see you asking questions.
Agnostics don't KNOW if a god exists.
Atheists don't BELIEVE a god exists.

Whatever else they think is as varied as the thoughts of any believer. Humans think about all sorts of things, believers and non believers alike.

What do you think about?
I mean no disrespect, but I have been on this rock for a lot longer than you and I meant what I said in my first sentence. It's great to have someone your age asking questions.

I think about my family about my children and grandchildren and great grandchildren, I think about my friends, I think about people. People I know, people I don't know. I'm concerned by the inequality and inequity of our systems of power and control. These are some of the things THIS atheist thinks about.

Peace,

Thank you for your answer. I like asking other people about what they think.
)

What I think about? Well, that's hard to explain. You mean generally? If yes, then, more or less, the same thing you do. My goal in life is to help other people and make them feel better. I have many blogs on Tumblr to help people get through depression and such, since a relative of mine suffered from depression and still suffers.
I want to study and become a translator and a psychologist. Or maybe I want to become a teacher, to teach, and increase the knowledge of... just anyone.
And, well. It may sound strange, but mostly, what I think about is thing as, the meaning of life, about relationships of any kind, and "big questions" humans always ask. And so on.

I apologize, maybe I misunderstood, but why did you ask me about this?

Thank you again, and peace!
seeking-knowledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 12:19:00 PM
At 5/19/2014 9:11:32 AM, PureX wrote:
The thought that I would like to share is that it's not only possible, but likely, that a person would be both agnostic, and atheist, or agnostic and theist, simultaneously. And this is so simply because we humans are rarely absolutely convinced of anything. Especially if we are being honest with ourselves about what we can actually know, with any certainty.

I am an agnostic about the existence of God, and yet I am not. By that I mean I have no idea what God is, and therefor cannot claim to know that God exists. And yet I recognize that there is a great mystery hidden within existence, that contains it's source, sustenance and purpose, and that this mystery is at the heart of my own experience of being. And by most definitions of the term "god", this great mystery is God.

I know that it is, but I don't know what it is. And because it is the ultimate mystery, I call it "God".

Also, I find that by keeping this great mystery in mind, and imagining that it is manifesting in my world through characteristics like love, and forgiveness, and kindness, and generosity, my experience of life is much improved. Again, I have no proof that "God" is manifesting in my reality through these characteristics, but I don't know that God is NOT manifesting in my reality through these characteristics, either. So I choose to believe that God is manifesting in this way, and because I choose to believe that, I find my experience of life is much more positive, happy, and healthy.

Because I am essentially agnostic, due to the limitations of my human nature, I am free to then choose what I want to believe about "God". And I find that to be a very effective asset in living my life.

Peace,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I see... Before deciding to actually choose a religion, I thought the same thing, no joking, haha. So I partially share what you just said.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 1:31:04 PM
Peace everyone,

Thank you everyone.

The questions you have presented are fundamental and dubious questions that an ample majority (if not approaching all) humans ponder. Where did the evolutional processes originate? Why did they? What or who is accountable? Some of these questions may be addressed and explained to an understanding, however some are speculation that is unknown or undefined.

You ask what do atheists and agnostics think.

I am an individual that is profoundly compelled that utilitarianism is the most pragmatic and effective conceptual model to assist mankind in numerous and various aspects of life when applied correctly. Religion, in comparison, offers an abysmal advantageous results. This is the prominent reason why I reject religion and the beliefs system which religion entails.

I operate from a reality based worldview. What is demonstrable? What is tangible? What is empirical? As Aronra boldly states, "if you can't show it, you don't know it."

Science is a wonderful and useful model that contains predictive capabilities. Religion contains none. Some individuals expect, or rely on if you will, science to explain the undefined components of their perspective and if fails to do so rejects science and may resort to a dishonest position such as faith. Science does not function to explain every and all components of reality. It does however, assists us in observing and enhance our learning of reality and understanding about the world that we call Earth. Science is continuously expanding and those who utilize science professionally are continuously discovering new and fascinating discoveries as our understanding of science and reality progresses.
seeking-knowledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 1:38:01 PM
At 5/19/2014 1:31:04 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:
Peace everyone,

Thank you everyone.

The questions you have presented are fundamental and dubious questions that an ample majority (if not approaching all) humans ponder. Where did the evolutional processes originate? Why did they? What or who is accountable? Some of these questions may be addressed and explained to an understanding, however some are speculation that is unknown or undefined.

I am an individual that is profoundly compelled that utilitarianism is the most pragmatic and effective conceptual model to assist mankind in numerous and various aspects of life when applied correctly. Religion, in comparison, offers an abysmal advantageous results. This is the prominent reason why I reject religion and the beliefs system which religion entails.

I operate from a reality based worldview. What is demonstrable? What is tangible? What is empirical? As Aronra boldly states, "if you can't show it, you don't know it."

Science is a wonderful and useful model that contains predictive capabilities. Religion contains none. Some individuals expect, or rely on if you will, science to explain the undefined components of their perspective and if fails to do so rejects science and may resort to a dishonest position such as faith. Science does not function to explain every and all components of reality. It does however, assists us in observing and enhance our learning of reality and understanding about the world that we call Earth. Science is continuously expanding and those who utilize science professionally are continuously discovering new and fascinating discoveries as our understanding of science and reality progresses.

Peace,

Thank you for your in-depth reply, it was interesting.
I would reply better in my native language, but for now, I have to manage explaining in English. Since it's difficult for me, I hope you will be able to understand anyway.
In my opinion, science and religion are not two opposite things. If X religion is right, then it shouldn't contradict science. Science explains some aspects of life, of the world and the universe, and I am totally against believers who completely reject science.
But then, religion explains some others, different (and maybe alsoabstract?) aspects. In simple terms, things we cannot "touch". Can't religion and science live in harmony? My reply is, yes, they can.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 11:56:00 PM
At 5/19/2014 1:38:01 PM, seeking-knowledge wrote:
At 5/19/2014 1:31:04 PM, intellectually primitive wrote:
Peace everyone,

Thank you everyone.

"If X religion is right, then it shouldn't contradict science."
What according to religion is "right"? If so, can it be demonstrated that it is indeed "right"?

"But then, religion explains some others, different (and maybe alsoabstract?) aspects."
Religion does not explain any aspects but encompasses assertions wherein convictions are stated that are not evidently verifiable.

"Can't religion and science live in harmony? My reply is, yes, they can."
Can science and religion coexist in harmony? They can coexist but not in harmony and not unanimously. Is religion a practical or useful tool that can be utilized in juncture with science effectively? No.