Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Religious debates and threads are futile.

lightingbolt50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 2:37:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Both sides always boil down to a "I'm right, you're wrong" stance. Arguments for faith and atheism alike end up not doing anything useful. People with the same stance will agree, but it won't change someone's opinion, which is the point of this website. Many threads talk about how religion is wrong, and how Atheism is wrong while ultimatly doing nothing but being an arsehole about it.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 3:29:19 AM
At 5/20/2014 2:37:31 AM, lightingbolt50 wrote:
Both sides always boil down to a "I'm right, you're wrong" stance. Arguments for faith and atheism alike end up not doing anything useful. People with the same stance will agree, but it won't change someone's opinion, which is the point of this website. Many threads talk about how religion is wrong, and how Atheism is wrong while ultimatly doing nothing but being an arsehole about it.

Pretty much true, which is why there is a "science" forum and a "religious" forum.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 9:54:04 AM

Response: Which is why I never post to change a person's mind. I use a debate forum as an opportunity to answer criticism about my religion so that when an open-minded person passes through the forum one day or researches for answers, they can utilize the answers I provided. Many times, when I was researching for answers to something, I found them on a link to a debate forum (not this forum in particular). So similarly, I participate in debates so that I too can provide answers for those who are researching for some. Debates also sharpen one's ability to respond to criticism, which I also take advantage of.

No one should ever enter the forum thinking they can change the views of the person they are debating. For simply, it is unlikely to occur.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 10:09:43 AM
Both sides always boil down to a "I'm right, you're wrong" stance. Arguments for faith and atheism alike end up not doing anything useful. People with the same stance will agree, but it won't change someone's opinion, which is the point of this website.
The point of this website is to change someone's opinion?
subgenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 10:15:37 AM
At 5/20/2014 10:09:43 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
Both sides always boil down to a "I'm right, you're wrong" stance. Arguments for faith and atheism alike end up not doing anything useful. People with the same stance will agree, but it won't change someone's opinion, which is the point of this website.

+1
lightingbolt50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 10:15:44 AM
At 5/20/2014 10:09:43 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

Yes, ideally. While it will probably not change the other debater's opinion, it might affect the reader's opinion.