Jump to topic:

Consciousness And God

POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 6:22:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If the universe began only from "material origin", how come Consciousness came from material world, i mean how Consciousness comes from material stuff If the universe emerged from matter? it will remain only material, for instance how we have the emotion loving your mother from material world if God doesnt exist? so the conclusion is there must be a God who gave us other things beside the material world... anyway what the point view of poeple rejecting the existence of God?
Never fart near dog
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 7:42:51 PM
At 5/23/2014 7:33:28 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 5/23/2014 6:25:55 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
Consciousness is a material process.

[citation needed]

Try all of medical science. When someone can show me some incorporeal consciousness, I'll feel that maybe they've got a case. Since literally everything in the universe is material, I'm pretty confident that burden of proof for non-material consciousness is with the people claiming it.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 7:53:17 PM
At 5/23/2014 7:42:51 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

[citation needed]

Try all of medical science.

Nice dodge.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 7:57:17 PM
At 5/23/2014 7:53:17 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 5/23/2014 7:42:51 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

[citation needed]

Try all of medical science.

Nice dodge.

Not really a dodge when it's the ENTIRETY of all applicable fields, is it? Just fact.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 4:40:26 PM

Its not as simple you trying to show... its not about some precesses. its not related to the process it self. philosophers cant explain it and you throwing it like a 1 + 1...
Never fart near dog
irreverent_god
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 10:57:54 AM
At 5/23/2014 6:22:59 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
If the universe began only from "material origin", how come Consciousness came from material world, i mean how Consciousness comes from material stuff If the universe emerged from matter? it will remain only material, for instance how we have the emotion loving your mother from material world if God doesnt exist? so the conclusion is there must be a God who gave us other things beside the material world... anyway what the point view of poeple rejecting the existence of God?

Consciousness is an intangible function of a very (I assure you) physical brain. This is the same as the fact that wind is the result of high/low pressure atmospheric convection. You can feel it, but you can't see it (unless it contains visible particulate matter). Emotions are responses to external stimuli. They, too, are functions of the brain. Your logical leaps are both erroneous and unsubstantiated.
I, for one, don't reject the possibility of a god. I reject only those that have been promulgated by ignorant humans, for centuries.

Damaging the physical brain also damages one's consciousness (as science has already proven). The fact that those that cling to "holy" manuscripts are less likely to be informed of such things doesn't help matters, either.
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 11:16:11 AM
It's my belief that consciousness is a rudimentary attribute of all physical constituents in the universe. Every bit of matter that engages in some kind of physical process is alert of what's going on, even if the bits are not particularly intelligent about it.

I happen to believe that all matter is capable of a form of sensory reception and communication that uses pain and pleasure sensory qualia to transmit information and that drives matter to do things--to perform the physics that we observe.

Matter is intrinsically and necessarily conscious in my view. Without the underlying presence of consciousness, the universe would be incapable of performing the physics and chemistry we're use to seeing.