Jump to topic:

Bias and it feels good to believe in God

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 5:15:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I find that often religion is used to confirm biases and appeals to primitive tribal feelings, especially monotheism. I can see how religion can be comforting to believe in, it tells people that they always have God to talk to, always have someone looking over them and always a hopeful future as their is a heaven, and justice will be served as God is a all knowing referee in the sky and will appreciate us when no one does.

However, reasonably no one can say prove God exists. Yet, human bias allows people to only see evidence when it confirms god exists and ignore others. Also, like how bias allows people to think the country they were born in is the best, it allows people to think their childhood religion is the best.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 10:26:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 5:15:20 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
I find that often religion is used to confirm biases and appeals to primitive tribal feelings, especially monotheism. I can see how religion can be comforting to believe in, it tells people that they always have God to talk to, always have someone looking over them and always a hopeful future as their is a heaven, and justice will be served as God is a all knowing referee in the sky and will appreciate us when no one does.

However, reasonably no one can say prove God exists. Yet, human bias allows people to only see evidence when it confirms god exists and ignore others. Also, like how bias allows people to think the country they were born in is the best, it allows people to think their childhood religion is the best.

This is all true, but the alternatives aren't any better. Atheists are still biased, and still think their bias is not biased, and their view of reality is the superior view.

The problem with religion isn't religion. It's the humans that engage in it. And that's going to remain problematic whether we're religious or not.