Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Questions for the Christian God

Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 8:32:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
1) if God is omniscient and creates people with the foreknowledge that they're going to hell for eternity, this isn't indicative of an all-loving God. It also brings up the question of free will. If God has the foreknowledge of exactly how our life plays out and actualizes it, then how do we have free will?

2) The bible contains contradictions despite its claims of inerrancy.

3) some biblical accounts are disputed by mainstream scientific evidence

4) if God is good, how can any person that loves others their whole life but not believe in God be sent to hell for eternity, but a serial child rapist can repent his sins on his deathbed and be sent to heaven for eternity?

5) why did God morally contradict himself by ordering genocide and the slaying of innocent children?

6) why does the bible have stories of talking snakes and donkeys we have no record of any possibility of this happening?

7) why do stories similar to the genesis accounts of creation and the flood show up in Babylonian myths which predate the genesis accounts?
bulproof
Posts: 25,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 8:37:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 8:32:46 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
1) if God is omniscient and creates people with the foreknowledge that they're going to hell for eternity, this isn't indicative of an all-loving God. It also brings up the question of free will. If God has the foreknowledge of exactly how our life plays out and actualizes it, then how do we have free will?

2) The bible contains contradictions despite its claims of inerrancy.

3) some biblical accounts are disputed by mainstream scientific evidence

4) if God is good, how can any person that loves others their whole life but not believe in God be sent to hell for eternity, but a serial child rapist can repent his sins on his deathbed and be sent to heaven for eternity?

5) why did God morally contradict himself by ordering genocide and the slaying of innocent children?

6) why does the bible have stories of talking snakes and donkeys we have no record of any possibility of this happening?

7) why do stories similar to the genesis accounts of creation and the flood show up in Babylonian myths which predate the genesis accounts?

I am impressed by your questions BEN.
Huzzah.
I give you the benefit of the doubt that your questions are genuine.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 9:51:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 8:32:46 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
1) if God is omniscient and creates people with the foreknowledge that they're going to hell for eternity, this isn't indicative of an all-loving God.

Maybe God doesnt have for knowledge and open theism is correct. Maybe God does and Molinism is correct.

It also brings up the question of free will. If God has the foreknowledge of exactly how our life plays out and actualizes it, then how do we have free will?


We actualize it..God doesn't. God having knowledge of our actions beforehand doesn't make make us do them. See: middle knowledge.

2) The bible contains contradictions despite its claims of inerrancy.


The bible doesn't claim inerrancy.

3) some biblical accounts are disputed by mainstream scientific evidence


Like?

4) if God is good, how can any person that loves others their whole life but not believe in God be sent to hell for eternity, but a serial child rapist can repent his sins on his deathbed and be sent to heaven for eternity?


No one gets sent to hell for eternity.

5) why did God morally contradict himself by ordering genocide and the slaying of innocent children?


He didn't.

6) why does the bible have stories of talking snakes and donkeys we have no record of any possibility of this happening?


Because some of the books in the bible aren't intended to be read in the way you're implying.

7) why do stories similar to the genesis accounts of creation and the flood show up in Babylonian myths which predate the genesis accounts?

Because genesis was meant (among other things) as a polemic against other middle eastern creation myths. It took the common elements shared among all these cultures and reworked them with a different theme.

http://www.academia.edu...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
PureX
Posts: 1,528
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 10:38:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 8:32:46 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
1) if God is omniscient and creates people with the foreknowledge that they're going to hell for eternity, this isn't indicative of an all-loving God. It also brings up the question of free will. If God has the foreknowledge of exactly how our life plays out and actualizes it, then how do we have free will?

2) The bible contains contradictions despite its claims of inerrancy.

3) some biblical accounts are disputed by mainstream scientific evidence

4) if God is good, how can any person that loves others their whole life but not believe in God be sent to hell for eternity, but a serial child rapist can repent his sins on his deathbed and be sent to heaven for eternity?

5) why did God morally contradict himself by ordering genocide and the slaying of innocent children?

6) why does the bible have stories of talking snakes and donkeys we have no record of any possibility of this happening?

7) why do stories similar to the genesis accounts of creation and the flood show up in Babylonian myths which predate the genesis accounts?

All of these questions are in response to a specific type of religious Christianity. They are not endemic of all Christian beliefs or all Christianity.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 10:52:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 10:38:52 AM, PureX wrote:
At 5/25/2014 8:32:46 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
1) if God is omniscient and creates people with the foreknowledge that they're going to hell for eternity, this isn't indicative of an all-loving God. It also brings up the question of free will. If God has the foreknowledge of exactly how our life plays out and actualizes it, then how do we have free will?

2) The bible contains contradictions despite its claims of inerrancy.

3) some biblical accounts are disputed by mainstream scientific evidence

4) if God is good, how can any person that loves others their whole life but not believe in God be sent to hell for eternity, but a serial child rapist can repent his sins on his deathbed and be sent to heaven for eternity?

5) why did God morally contradict himself by ordering genocide and the slaying of innocent children?

6) why does the bible have stories of talking snakes and donkeys we have no record of any possibility of this happening?

7) why do stories similar to the genesis accounts of creation and the flood show up in Babylonian myths which predate the genesis accounts?

All of these questions are in response to a specific type of religious Christianity. They are not endemic of all Christian beliefs or all Christianity.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,490
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 10:53:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 8:37:34 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/25/2014 8:32:46 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
1) if God is omniscient and creates people with the foreknowledge that they're going to hell for eternity, this isn't indicative of an all-loving God. It also brings up the question of free will. If God has the foreknowledge of exactly how our life plays out and actualizes it, then how do we have free will?

2) The bible contains contradictions despite its claims of inerrancy.

3) some biblical accounts are disputed by mainstream scientific evidence

4) if God is good, how can any person that loves others their whole life but not believe in God be sent to hell for eternity, but a serial child rapist can repent his sins on his deathbed and be sent to heaven for eternity?

5) why did God morally contradict himself by ordering genocide and the slaying of innocent children?

6) why does the bible have stories of talking snakes and donkeys we have no record of any possibility of this happening?

7) why do stories similar to the genesis accounts of creation and the flood show up in Babylonian myths which predate the genesis accounts?

I am impressed by your questions BEN.
Huzzah.
I give you the benefit of the doubt that your questions are genuine.

shakalaka!
Never fart near dog
12_13
Posts: 1,365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 1:10:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 8:32:46 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
1) if God is omniscient and creates people with the foreknowledge that they're going to hell for eternity, this isn't indicative of an all-loving God. It also brings up the question of free will. If God has the foreknowledge of exactly how our life plays out and actualizes it, then how do we have free will?

I don"t know about you, but I have free will. I can want whatever I want. If I go to hell, I think God is still all loving, because gave this life for me also, even though I don"t deserve it.

2) The bible contains contradictions despite its claims of inerrancy.

In my opinion Bible has no contradictions, if correctly understood.

3) some biblical accounts are disputed by mainstream scientific evidence

I don"t have any reason to believe that science s correct in those cases.

4) if God is good, how can any person that loves others their whole life but not believe in God be sent to hell for eternity, but a serial child rapist can repent his sins on his deathbed and be sent to heaven for eternity?

According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Person who really loves all can be righteous, because:

Little children, let no one lead you astray. He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Person who claims that God doesn"t exist is not probably righteous, because I think righteous has right understanding and don"t make claim that God does not exist.

5) why did God morally contradict himself by ordering genocide and the slaying of innocent children?

I don"t know any reason to believe that God has killed innocent people. And even if God would do so, he has right for that, because he has given life. There is no reason why God should give eternal life for people.

God has denied murdering, not killing.

(People don"t give life, they only in best case can let the life continue).

6) why does the bible have stories of talking snakes and donkeys we have no record of any possibility of this happening?

I think those are in the Bible, because they happened. They don"t happen nowadays, because there is no reason to do such miracles for people.

7) why do stories similar to the genesis accounts of creation and the flood show up in Babylonian myths which predate the genesis accounts?

I think Babylonians copied them from Jews and destroyed their original texts.
Romanii
Posts: 4,863
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 1:22:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 8:32:46 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
1) if God is omniscient and creates people with the foreknowledge that they're going to hell for eternity, this isn't indicative of an all-loving God. It also brings up the question of free will. If God has the foreknowledge of exactly how our life plays out and actualizes it, then how do we have free will?

The idea that God's omniscience guarantees his knowledge of the future is absurd. Time is linear, even for God. He has complete knowledge and control of the present, which allows for him to indirectly control the future, but he still gives us free will, with our limited control and knowledge of the present.


2) The bible contains contradictions despite its claims of inerrancy.

Ya. It's not inerrant.


3) some biblical accounts are disputed by mainstream scientific evidence

Ya. Again, it's not inerrant.


4) if God is good, how can any person that loves others their whole life but not believe in God be sent to hell for eternity, but a serial child rapist can repent his sins on his deathbed and be sent to heaven for eternity?

I don't believe that the first person would go to hell...
As for the second person, I highly doubt that they would be able to offer true repentance, but it is still possible. If you have ever felt the guilt associated with truly repenting for even the smallest mistakes, then you can possibly imagine what it might feel like to repent for an entire lifetime of huge mistakes. If the second person was able to muster up that sort of regret, then he could possibly be forgiven, but the fact that he was able to commit those sins in the first place leads me to believe that the majority of such people wouldn't have the goodness in their hearts necessary to do it.


5) why did God morally contradict himself by ordering genocide and the slaying of innocent children?

He didn't.


6) why does the bible have stories of talking snakes and donkeys we have no record of any possibility of this happening?

Because the Bible is a collection of ancient mythology, Hebrew folklore, partially accurate historical record, and early Christian propaganda.


7) why do stories similar to the genesis accounts of creation and the flood show up in Babylonian myths which predate the genesis accounts?

Because they're all ancient myths that come from the same source.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 1:52:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 9:51:39 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/25/2014 8:32:46 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
1) if God is omniscient and creates people with the foreknowledge that they're going to hell for eternity, this isn't indicative of an all-loving God.

Maybe God doesnt have for knowledge and open theism is correct. Maybe God does and Molinism is correct.

So in other words God has limited omniscience? How can one know absolutely everything (omniscient) but not know something of the future? How has God made biblical predictions of winning future wars in Numbers if he didn't know they would.

It also brings up the question of free will. If God has the foreknowledge of exactly how our life plays out and actualizes it, then how do we have free will?


We actualize it..God doesn't. God having knowledge of our actions beforehand doesn't make make us do them. See: middle knowledge.

God having knowledge of our actions beforehand and actualizing them is like the a person seeing the design of dominoes they set up, pushing the first domino, and letting the inevitable effect take place. Being a domino in this case doesn't grant any deviation from the actualization that is destined to take place.

2) The bible contains contradictions despite its claims of inerrancy.


The bible doesn't claim inerrancy.

"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled." Matthew 5:17-18

3) some biblical accounts are disputed by mainstream scientific evidence


Like?

A global flood every occurring or the biblical timeline for the age of the earth.

4) if God is good, how can any person that loves others their whole life but not believe in God be sent to hell for eternity, but a serial child rapist can repent his sins on his deathbed and be sent to heaven for eternity?


No one gets sent to hell for eternity.

Is that based on what scripture says?

5) why did God morally contradict himself by ordering genocide and the slaying of innocent children?


He didn't.

How is that not a contradiction of God's moral values?
6) why does the bible have stories of talking snakes and donkeys we have no record of any possibility of this happening?


Because some of the books in the bible aren't intended to be read in the way you're implying.

Then how could anyone know how to interpret anything of truth in scripture if some stories are read as true but actually aren't?

7) why do stories similar to the genesis accounts of creation and the flood show up in Babylonian myths which predate the genesis accounts?

Because genesis was meant (among other things) as a polemic against other middle eastern creation myths. It took the common elements shared among all these cultures and reworked them with a different theme.

Does that sound like divine inspiration or social reworking?
http://www.academia.edu...
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 2:15:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 1:52:39 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 5/25/2014 9:51:39 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/25/2014 8:32:46 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
1) if God is omniscient and creates people with the foreknowledge that they're going to hell for eternity, this isn't indicative of an all-loving God.

Maybe God doesnt have for knowledge and open theism is correct. Maybe God does and Molinism is correct.

So in other words God has limited omniscience? How can one know absolutely everything (omniscient) but not know something of the future?

God's omniscience implies that he knows all true propositions. If there are no such things as true propositions about the future then he is still omniscientn

God made biblical predictions of winning future wars in Numbers if he didn't know they would.


Those could be probabilistic statements that have a high chance of being true. God being omniscient implies that she's also really smart and can predict well.

It also brings up the question of free will. If God has the foreknowledge of exactly how our life plays out and actualizes it, then how do we have free will?


We actualize it..God doesn't. God having knowledge of our actions beforehand doesn't make make us do them. See: middle knowledge.

God having knowledge of our actions beforehand and actualizing them is like the a person seeing the design of dominoes they set up, pushing the first domino, and letting the inevitable effect take place. Being a domino in this case doesn't grant any deviation from the actualization that is destined to take place.


I'm saying God doesn't actualize the free actions. We do.

2) The bible contains contradictions despite its claims of inerrancy.


The bible doesn't claim inerrancy.

"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled." Matthew 5:17-18


This is a very genuine question: where in this passage do you see inerrancy being claimed? I'm perplexed.

3) some biblical accounts are disputed by mainstream scientific evidence


Like?

A global flood every occurring or the biblical timeline for the age of the earth.


Again, reading the texts in the wrong way. The purpose of the texts isn't to provide a modern day historical play by play. Btw - there is no biblical timeline for the age of the earth.

4) if God is good, how can any person that loves others their whole life but not believe in God be sent to hell for eternity, but a serial child rapist can repent his sins on his deathbed and be sent to heaven for eternity?


No one gets sent to hell for eternity.

Is that based on what scripture says?


Yup.

http://www.debate.org...

5) why did God morally contradict himself by ordering genocide and the slaying of innocent children?


He didn't.

How is that not a contradiction of God's moral values?

http://www.debate.org...

6) why does the bible have stories of talking snakes and donkeys we have no record of any possibility of this happening?


Because some of the books in the bible aren't intended to be read in the way you're implying.

Then how could anyone know how to interpret anything of truth in scripture if some stories are read as true but actually aren't?


Everything read as true need not be literally. It doesn't matter, for instance, if the prodigal son actually existed. The point of the story remains the same.

7) why do stories similar to the genesis accounts of creation and the flood show up in Babylonian myths which predate the genesis accounts?

Because genesis was meant (among other things) as a polemic against other middle eastern creation myths. It took the common elements shared among all these cultures and reworked them with a different theme.

Does that sound like divine inspiration or social reworking?

Why does one preclude the other?

http://www.academia.edu...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
matt.mcguire88
Posts: 1,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 6:46:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 8:32:46 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
1) if God is omniscient and creates people with the foreknowledge that they're going to hell for eternity, this isn't indicative of an all-loving God. It also brings up the question of free will. If God has the foreknowledge of exactly how our life plays out and actualizes it, then how do we have free will?

I haven't read any of the thread yet but I'll have a go.
This idea you have of the Christian God is based mostly on misconception, calvinism and Atheist propaganda. Lol I know that may sound harsh but I mean it nice, it's true.
The whole "OMNI" thing is a joke. What it's done is it has allowed uneducated and illogical people to start defining God, and it has created an overstuffed straw man with mega stuffing. The perfect straw man with no Biblical basis.
We do have free will, and God does not control people. His powers are never diminished....no matter what He creates.....no matter what Humans do......God is still the same.
What that means is, is that despite the fact of our free will, it in no way diminishes God's character at all lol, it's as simple as that. God has created us with the ability to act on our own, thus impacting our environment, whether good or bad.


2) The bible contains contradictions despite its claims of inerrancy.

First, show me verses and or passages when quoting the Bible's claims, then present the contradiction.

3) some biblical accounts are disputed by mainstream scientific evidence

No, the YEC and the whole man made of dirt thing should be over. If not then you haven't been paying attention.

4) if God is good, how can any person that loves others their whole life but not believe in God be sent to hell for eternity, but a serial child rapist can repent his sins on his deathbed and be sent to heaven for eternity?

This is speculation, you're creating a hypothetical situation to create steam towards God. The only fact is that God is in control of souls, that's not something we can base facts on.


5) why did God morally contradict himself by ordering genocide and the slaying of innocent children?

The same reason as the flood, God saw fit to intervene.

6) why does the bible have stories of talking snakes and donkeys we have no record of any possibility of this happening?

Maybe try paying attention to the moral of the story?

7) why do stories similar to the genesis accounts of creation and the flood show up in Babylonian myths which predate the genesis accounts?

You should supply Bible passages and sources to support these assertions, it would benefit your case.