Jump to topic:

Astronomy points towards thousands of years

merbear2536
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 6:00:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
By observing the magnetic field of the earth, scientists have discovered that the magnetic field is exponentially decreasing. Now if the earth were billions of years old, then this magnetic field would have been evaporated by now. To try to deal with this problem, secular scientists have come up with the idea that the magnetic field of the earth is fluctuating, decreasing then increasing then decreasing and so forth. There is absolutely no evidence that the magnetic field has been fluctuating. I would like to hear what some people have to say about this. Trying to come up with conclusions without evidence to fit your theory does not sound like science to me.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 6:23:26 PM
At 5/25/2014 6:00:48 PM, merbear2536 wrote:
By observing the magnetic field of the earth, scientists have discovered that the magnetic field is exponentially decreasing. Now if the earth were billions of years old, then this magnetic field would have been evaporated by now. To try to deal with this problem, secular scientists have come up with the idea that the magnetic field of the earth is fluctuating, decreasing then increasing then decreasing and so forth. There is absolutely no evidence that the magnetic field has been fluctuating. I would like to hear what some people have to say about this. Trying to come up with conclusions without evidence to fit your theory does not sound like science to me.

"Based on studies of old volcanic basalt, scientists know that the Earth"s magnetic field reverses at irregular intervals, ranging from tens of thousands to millions of years. Volcanic basalt rock contains magnetite, and when the rock cools, its magnetic properties are frozen, recording the Earth's magnetic field of the time. With this data, scientists estimate that the last magnetic field reversal occurred about 780,000 years ago."

Read more at: http://phys.org...

We do not know how or why it fluctuates yet, but we know it happens. Only the idiots, like Ken Ham, deny this.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
debateuser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 6:44:36 PM

According to Earth's geologic record, our planet's magnetic field flips, on average, about once every 200,000 years. The time between reversals varies widely, however. The last time Earth's magnetic field flipped was about 780,000 years ago.

New magnetic fields are also generated deep inside Earth. The magnetic field replenishes
which prevent it from decaying.

See explaination here

http://news.nationalgeographic.com...
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
merbear2536
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 7:24:24 PM
It is common knowledge that the earth's magnetic field is decreasing ever since we have been able to test it. Here is an experiment done on the California-Oregon border. Of course you will automatically disregard it because it is from a creation website. Scroll down about halfway to see the experiment by Coe and Prevot.

http://creation.mobi...
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 7:43:24 PM
At 5/25/2014 7:24:24 PM, merbear2536 wrote:
It is common knowledge that the earth's magnetic field is decreasing ever since we have been able to test it. Here is an experiment done on the California-Oregon border. Of course you will automatically disregard it because it is from a creation website. Scroll down about halfway to see the experiment by Coe and Prevot.

You obviously didn't read any of the comments responding to your original point.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
merbear2536
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 8:16:22 PM
At 5/25/2014 7:43:24 PM, SNP1 wrote:

You obviously didn't read any of the comments responding to your original point.

Yes I did. Both posts refered to the magnetic field reversing direction and thus "resetting" its magnetic field. The experiment I linked shows that it does not require long periods of time to change the magnetism like both of the comments suggested.
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 9:12:24 PM
At 5/25/2014 8:16:22 PM, merbear2536 wrote:

Yes I did. Both posts refered to the magnetic field reversing direction and thus "resetting" its magnetic field. The experiment I linked shows that it does not require long periods of time to change the magnetism like both of the comments suggested.

What does this have to do with what they posted?
Cygnus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 7:26:24 AM

If the universe is only thousands of years old, please explain why our nearest galactic neighbor is 2.5 million light years away.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 10:56:08 AM
That is spelt
ASTROLOGY.

Just trying to help.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
irreverent_god
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 11:29:53 AM
At 5/26/2014 10:56:08 AM, bulproof wrote:
That is spelt
ASTROLOGY.

Just trying to help.

ROFL!!!
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 11:34:08 AM
At 5/26/2014 7:26:24 AM, Cygnus wrote:

If the universe is only thousands of years old, please explain why our nearest galactic neighbor is 2.5 million light years away.

I mean seriously cygnus.

It's F*CKIN MAGIC for CHRISTS SAKES.

Haven't you ever seen a fraekin' magician?
I like to trensposa the a nad e.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 10:53:50 AM
At 5/25/2014 8:16:22 PM, merbear2536 wrote:

So youre saying that it does reverse itself, but it just happens a lot quicker?

If so, then measuring how the earths magnetic field is decreasing, and determining the age of the earth based on the decrease is meaningless. If you admit that it reverses itself, then it means that in the past, the magnetic field was increasing, and therefore, the magnetic field would not have evaporated.