Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:16:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Analogy
əG2;naləjē/Submit
noun
a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

Imagery
in a literary text, is an author's use of vivid and descriptive language to add depth to his or her work. It appeals to human senses to deepen the reader's understanding of the work.

Parable
is a succinct, didactic story, in prose or verse, which illustrates one or more instructive lessons or principles. It differs from a fable in that fables employ animals, plants, inanimate objects, or forces of nature as characters, whereas parables have human characters. A parable is a type of analogy.[1]

Poetry
is a form of literature that uses aesthetic and rhythmic[1][2][3] qualities of language"such as phonaesthetics, sound symbolism, and metre"to evoke meanings in addition to, or in place of, the prosaic ostensible meaning.

All of these things are used in scripture. All of which are true, but the usage of the words change from books to authors and to context.
Maybe that seems confusing but for me it's pretty easy to distinguish when reading it, it's usually pretty straight forward especially if you know and understand the definitions above.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:30:04 AM
Prophecy
is a process in which one or more messages that have been communicated to a prophet[1] are then communicated to others. Such messages typically involve divine inspiration, interpretation, or revelation of conditioned events to come (cf. divine knowledge). The process of prophecy especially involves reciprocal communication of the prophet with the (divine) source of the messages. Throughout history, clairvoyance has commonly been used and associated with prophecy.[2]

Visions (spiritual)
A vision is something seen in a dream, trance, or religious ecstasy, especially a supernatural appearance that conveys a revelation.[1] Visions generally have more clarity than dreams, but traditionally fewer psychological connotations. Visions are known to emerge from spiritual traditions and could provide a lens into human nature and reality.[2] Prophecy is often associated with visions.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 11:01:26 AM
So for the fun of it, I'm going to illustrate these definitions using a few passages in scripture.

Imagery-
Genesis
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Parable-

Matthew 13

1 The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side.

2 And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.

3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow

;31 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:

35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.

37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;

38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

Analogy-

John 3
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Poetry-

1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;

6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;

10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Prophesy-

Isaiah 53
1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Visions-

10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;

13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;

20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 2:48:00 PM
At 6/2/2014 10:16:25 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
Analogy
əG2;naləjē/Submit
noun
a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

Imagery
in a literary text, is an author's use of vivid and descriptive language to add depth to his or her work. It appeals to human senses to deepen the reader's understanding of the work.

Parable
is a succinct, didactic story, in prose or verse, which illustrates one or more instructive lessons or principles. It differs from a fable in that fables employ animals, plants, inanimate objects, or forces of nature as characters, whereas parables have human characters. A parable is a type of analogy.[1]

Poetry
is a form of literature that uses aesthetic and rhythmic[1][2][3] qualities of language"such as phonaesthetics, sound symbolism, and metre"to evoke meanings in addition to, or in place of, the prosaic ostensible meaning.

All of these things are used in scripture. All of which are true, but the usage of the words change from books to authors and to context.
Maybe that seems confusing but for me it's pretty easy to distinguish when reading it, it's usually pretty straight forward especially if you know and understand the definitions above.

But each of these literary mechanisms require interpretation on the part of the reader to convey their message and meaning. And such interpretations are inevitably going to be somewhat subjective. But religious authoritarianism is imposed externally, and cannot allow for subjective interpretations. So that religious authoritarianism becomes irrational, in that it must deny the essence of the very texts it uses as it's absolute authority.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 4:01:58 PM
At 6/2/2014 2:48:00 PM, PureX wrote:
Analogy
əG2;naləjē/Submit
noun

Imagery

Parable

Poetry

But each of these literary mechanisms require interpretation on the part of the reader to convey their message and meaning. And such interpretations are inevitably going to be somewhat subjective. But religious authoritarianism is imposed externally, and cannot allow for subjective interpretations. So that religious authoritarianism becomes irrational, in that it must deny the essence of the very texts it uses as it's absolute authority.

I see, but that is something I have zero control over. Religious authoritarianism means nothing to me, I don't subscribe to any so it doesn't effect my view of scripture. I try not to focus on what religious systems do, this negates the point of the Gospel.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 5:42:03 PM
Analogy
əG2;naləjē/Submit
noun

Imagery

Parable

The bible does employ talking animals. eg the talking serpent in the garden of Eden and the story which includes a talking donkey.
Do you consider those particular stories to be fables?

Poetry

The bible is obviously not a history book yet many believers seem to treat it as such and like to believe the story of the Garden of Eden which includes a talking snake, is somehow historical.
Any stories which include talking animals, are logically fables.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 5:50:03 PM
At 6/5/2014 5:42:03 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Analogy
əG2;naləjē/Submit
noun

Imagery

Parable

The bible does employ talking animals. eg the talking serpent in the garden of Eden and the story which includes a talking donkey.

Hmm good question, I'm not totally sure Angel mainly because I wasn't there lol. However fable or not I believe the underlying message is true and that it's spiritual perception is accurate.

Poetry

The bible is obviously not a history book yet many believers seem to treat it as such and like to believe the story of the Garden of Eden which includes a talking snake, is somehow historical.
Any stories which include talking animals, are logically fables.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 6:00:05 PM
At 6/5/2014 5:50:03 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Parable

Hmm good question, I'm not totally sure Angel mainly because I wasn't there lol. However fable or not I believe the underlying message is true and that it's spiritual perception is accurate.

Why are you not sure? The fact that you were not there is no logical reason to not be sure that a fable employs talking animals. What is really creating the doubt in your mind regarding it being a fable?
I agree many fables have good underlying messages but they are still fables even if the underlying message can be applied to ones life.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 6:09:12 PM
At 6/5/2014 6:00:05 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 6/5/2014 5:50:03 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Parable

Why are you not sure? The fact that you were not there is no logical reason to not be sure that a fable employs talking animals. What is really creating the doubt in your mind regarding it being a fable?

There is nothing I'm hiding, I'm simply unsure regarding the two instances you suggested.

I agree many fables have good underlying messages but they are still fables even if the underlying message can be applied to ones life.

What's your point here, we agree the message can be true which is why I provided the link to show how something that is presented as not actual can still be true.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 11:32:23 PM
At 6/5/2014 6:09:12 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Parable

There is nothing I'm hiding, I'm simply unsure regarding the two instances you suggested.

How about any other stories with talking animals outside of the bible? Are you unsure any of them are fables?
Is your uncertainty due to the fable being in the book called the Bible and you are convinced that the Bible is all true and none is fictional ?

What's your point here, we agree the message can be true which is why I provided the link to show how something that is presented as not actual can still be true.

My point is that many believers claim the bible is 100% true and treat it more like a history book than a fable. They refuse to accept it as a fable of any kind. They believe Adam and Eve were real people, Adam was literally made of dirt and Eve was literally formed from one of Adams ribs and a real snake actually spoke to them.

Why don't Christians want to admit that the story is a fable?
When it is pointed out to them they act stupid and suddenly are not sure that stories which contain talking animals are fables at all.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 6:12:22 AM
At 6/5/2014 11:32:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Parable

How about any other stories with talking animals outside of the bible? Are you unsure any of them are fables?
Is your uncertainty due to the fable being in the book called the Bible and you are convinced that the Bible is all true and none is fictional ?

My point is that many believers claim the bible is 100% true and treat it more like a history book than a fable. They refuse to accept it as a fable of any kind. They believe Adam and Eve were real people, Adam was literally made of dirt and Eve was literally formed from one of Adams ribs and a real snake actually spoke to them.

When it is pointed out to them they act stupid and suddenly are not sure that stories which contain talking animals are fables at all.

Sounds to me like you're just trying to start something out of nothing. Go bug someone else, I already told you twice plus it's already in the OP and a link I provided, that I believe it to be truth, regardless of the writing style used, so it doesn't matter whether or not I think it's a fable or literal, read the link.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:03:02 AM
At 6/6/2014 6:12:22 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Parable

Sounds to me like you're just trying to start something out of nothing. Go bug someone else, I already told you twice plus it's already in the OP and a link I provided, that I believe it to be truth, regardless of the writing style used, so it doesn't matter whether or not I think it's a fable or literal, read the link.

matty,
all of your book of magic things are fables.
What did your jesus say? At anytime?
How do you know?
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:24:06 AM
At 6/6/2014 9:03:02 AM, bulproof wrote:

Parable

matty,
How do you know?

Nah Bul, the description of a fable can only be used in a few instances, such as the donkey and the snake. The rest either falls into the category of literal, or one of the above in the OP's.
Fable-
Fable is a literary genre. A fable is a succinct fictional story, in prose or verse, that features animals, mythical creatures, plants, inanimate objects or forces of nature which are anthropomorphized (given human qualities such as verbal communication), and that illustrates or leads to an interpretation of a moral lesson (a "moral"), which may at the end be added explicitly in a pithy maxim.
A fable differs from a parable in that the latter excludes animals, plants, inanimate objects, and forces of nature as actors that assume speech and other powers of humankind.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 1:51:31 PM
At 6/6/2014 9:24:06 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
At 6/6/2014 9:03:02 AM, bulproof wrote:

Parable

matty,
How do you know?

Nah Bul, the description of a fable can only be used in a few instances, such as the donkey and the snake. The rest either falls into the category of literal, or one of the above in the OP's.
Fable-
Fable is a literary genre. A fable is a succinct fictional story, in prose or verse, that features animals, mythical creatures, plants, inanimate objects or forces of nature which are anthropomorphized (given human qualities such as verbal communication), and that illustrates or leads to an interpretation of a moral lesson (a "moral"), which may at the end be added explicitly in a pithy maxim.
A fable differs from a parable in that the latter excludes animals, plants, inanimate objects, and forces of nature as actors that assume speech and other powers of humankind.

Matt, ask bully, "What did your 8th president say? At anytime?
How do you know?"

And see if he'll be able to answer you.