Jump to topic:

Christianity vs. Atheism

T_parkour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 8:07:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I created this forum as sort of an open debate between Christians and atheists. Please stick to facts and evidence, not opinions or personal interpretations of sources.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 8:34:29 PM
At 6/2/2014 8:07:06 PM, T_parkour wrote:
I created this forum as sort of an open debate between Christians and atheists. Please stick to facts and evidence, not opinions or personal interpretations of sources.

Or what?
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 9:44:24 PM
At 6/2/2014 8:34:29 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

Or what?

God will smite you with a bolt of lightning.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:17:21 PM
At 6/2/2014 9:44:24 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Or what?

And make a really loud clap of thunder.
All hail THOR, the one true god.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:18:10 PM
At 6/2/2014 10:17:21 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 6/2/2014 9:44:24 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Or what?

And make a really loud clap of thunder.
All hail THOR, the one true god.

Marvel Thor
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:25:45 PM
I think George Burns made a better god though.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Martley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 10:49:47 PM
At 6/2/2014 10:25:45 PM, bulproof wrote:

I believe Morgan Freeman is a better god
A Black Belt is a white belt who never quit.

The best time to do something was 20 years ago.... the second best to do something is now.
debateuser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 11:16:55 PM
At 6/2/2014 10:49:47 PM, Martley wrote:

I believe Morgan Freeman is a better god

yes morgan freeman is a very skilled actor.

i like the scene in the movie in which evan says to God "do me a favour love me less"
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
T_parkour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 10:44:35 PM
Seriously, people? I was trying to have an intelligent discussion. Only one person actually did that, and I thank them for that. As for the rest of you, thanks for nothing.
Schzincko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 11:22:09 PM
At 6/3/2014 10:44:35 PM, T_parkour wrote:
Seriously, people? I was trying to have an intelligent discussion. Only one person actually did that, and I thank them for that. As for the rest of you, thanks for nothing.

There is no god. There is a Morgan Freeman. Personally, I think that's a fairly strong argument, seeing as there is not a lot of proof to go against those statements. That's the way we atheists see things. Whether it's out of contradictions, or inconsistencies, or even just lack of quality, we find Christianity to be illogical, in likely the same way a christian would find atheism illogical.

And to pull intelligence out of this, the way that the conversation descended so quickly explains just how ridiculous the whole idea is. It's been said so many times: trying to get a theist to understand the full length of atheism ideology is like describing color to a blind person.

So my question for you is: How can two sides that are completely incapable of understanding one another even begin to discuss the topic at hand?
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 5:38:51 AM

The evidence lead to me concluding my prior belief in God was unhealthy for me, partly due to the number of con artists lurking within churches (I call myself a truly nice guy, I think other people call me an easy mark). This is not to say it's unhealthy for anyone else.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 7:23:49 AM
Seriously, people? I was trying to have an intelligent discussion.

No you weren't.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 7:50:12 AM

1. The bible contains allegory, metaphor, poetry, parables, and other literary devices to convey meaning.

Result 1. There is no such thing as a literal translation of the bible. It must be interpreted.

2. There are hundreds if not thousands of different translations of meaning in the bible.

Result 2. One can reasonably conclude any document which results in mass differences of interpretation and no standard of acceptance of meaning clearly has not been influenced from a deity or the deity purposefully only wants a few to understand.

Result 3. There is either no diety or there is one acting nefariously towards most humans, neither of which instance are worthy of being worshiped.

The only logical position is Atheist or fundamental Christian who worships out of fear.
irreverent_god
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:03:00 AM

Morgan Freeman was infinitely better.
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
irreverent_god
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:06:54 AM

Look at your original post. No specific topic:
biblical inerrancy
morality
jeebus myth
the flood
prophecy
etc.

Pick a topic, instead of throwing something out there that can be reduced in an infinite number of topics... Post something of substance, if you want intelligent responses.
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 2:18:00 PM

Right, cause this debate has never happened before.

Perhaps you could have started with ... I find example X and Y of Christian and atheist argumentation to be high quality of something? I mean 2,000 years of debate much mean something.
T_parkour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 10:52:36 PM
Like I said, it was meant to be open. No specific part of the whole, just whatever people felt like debating that fell in this category.

On another note, is there a way to delete a forum such as this one? Arguing with people about my intentions is kinda getting on my nerves.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 10:58:09 PM
At 6/4/2014 10:52:36 PM, T_parkour wrote:
Like I said, it was meant to be open. No specific part of the whole, just whatever people felt like debating that fell in this category.

On another note, is there a way to delete a forum such as this one? Arguing with people about my intentions is kinda getting on my nerves.

Why Christianity vs. Atheism?
T_parkour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 10:25:04 PM
I chose Christianity vs. atheism because I enjoy religious debates and they mostly seem to be centered around Christianity.

NOTE: the purpose of this post was to answer a question, not start a whole new topic such as "why not Islam vs. atheism?"
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 10:27:21 PM
At 6/5/2014 10:25:04 PM, T_parkour wrote:
I chose Christianity vs. atheism because I enjoy religious debates and they mostly seem to be centered around Christianity.

NOTE: the purpose of this post was to answer a question, not start a whole new topic such as "why not Islam vs. atheism?"

Whats your religion?
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 11:45:34 PM

You have inadvertently provided a transparent synopsis of the two models.

The latter encompasses a foundational approach wherein a reality based worldview, facts, and evidence are fundamental and DEMONSTRABLE, whilst on the other hand, the former is a model wherein individuals assert convictions as a result of spurious assumptions which are not verifiably evident.