Jump to topic:

"Why Can't I Pray In School?"

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 11:29:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Because your refusing to pray in school. There is no law that forbids Christians, Muslims, Jews, or any religious people to not pray in school. It just has moment of silence where you can be respectful to allow a moment where people can pray or be silent in remembering those they love. Any Christians wanna debate me on this issue, bring it on.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 12:38:53 PM
At 6/3/2014 11:29:34 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Because your refusing to pray in school. There is no law that forbids Christians, Muslims, Jews, or any religious people to not pray in school. It just has moment of silence where you can be respectful to allow a moment where people can pray or be silent in remembering those they love. Any Christians wanna debate me on this issue, bring it on.

Nothing hinders you from praying in school.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 6:26:39 PM
At 6/3/2014 12:38:53 PM, annanicole wrote:

Which is why the republican presidents need to stop saying there is a war on religion in America and our schools. America wasn't founded as a Christian nation and people really need to get over that.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 6:53:26 PM
At 6/3/2014 6:26:39 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Which is why the republican presidents need to stop saying there is a war on religion in America and our schools. America wasn't founded as a Christian nation and people really need to get over that.

Schools, public schools, have no business trying to teach religion at all. They also have no business teaching various other theories on the origin of the universe. No child's education would be harmed by leaving it all up to private study.

However, nobody is hindering you from praying, just as no one is hindering the student next to you from believing in the big bang. The schools have to operate on the theory, "There might not even be a God" along with "There might not have even been a big bang."
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 6:54:58 PM

There is a war on religion, as there should be.
merbear2536
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 6:56:35 PM

America was founded on a Christian basis of morals, not a Christian nation. Just keep that in mind.

The problem is not that religious people can't pray in schools. The problem is that people do not want to see people praying in schools. It is the "non religious" people that get offended by praying in schools. Why did church and state get seperated in the first place? because secularists did not like it. Conservatives are fighting for the rights of the people that want to pray in school but can't because secularists think religious people are forcing religion down their throat by praying.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 6:57:57 PM
At 6/3/2014 6:53:26 PM, annanicole wrote:

Schools, public schools, have no business trying to teach religion at all. They also have no business teaching various other theories on the origin of the universe. No child's education would be harmed by leaving it all up to private study.

However, nobody is hindering you from praying, just as no one is hindering the student next to you from believing in the big bang. The schools have to operate on the theory, "There might not even be a God" along with "There might not have even been a big bang."

Except the Big Bang has been proven true by science so the theory of big bang is no more, but now a big bang fact.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 6:58:58 PM
At 6/3/2014 6:54:58 PM, Mikal wrote:

What is this war on religion?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 6:59:05 PM
At 6/3/2014 6:57:57 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Except the Big Bang has been proven true by science so the theory of big bang is no more, but now a big bang fact.

LMAO
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 7:02:34 PM
At 6/3/2014 6:56:35 PM, merbear2536 wrote:

America was founded on a Christian basis of morals, not a Christian nation. Just keep that in mind.

The problem is not that religious people can't pray in schools. The problem is that people do not want to see people praying in schools. It is the "non religious" people that get offended by praying in schools. Why did church and state get seperated in the first place? because secularists did not like it. Conservatives are fighting for the rights of the people that want to pray in school but can't because secularists think religious people are forcing religion down their throat by praying.

State sponsored prayer and bible readings where removed from the school's curiculm since it was forcing atheists, muslims, and others to believe in the Judeo-Christian religion or praying to their god. Secularists don't care if Christians pray, they just don't want to be forced to pray to the same god they think doesn't exist. Church and State was separated because countries with an official religion tended to start wars over religion. Such as The Spanish Inquisition and Holocaust.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 7:03:22 PM
At 6/3/2014 6:59:05 PM, annanicole wrote:

LMAO

What's so funny?
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 7:03:48 PM
At 6/3/2014 6:58:58 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Have you not seen the new atheist movement with Dawkins, the late hitchens, harris, dennet, shermer, and countless others. People are genuinely tired of forcing religion down children's throat and started to take a stand against it

There is a war on religion by a minority in america. That does not make it wrong, it just begs the question of purpose. A lot of people hate religion and with due cause.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 7:05:39 PM

No it was not, and I can debate you on that.

Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 7:10:34 PM
At 6/3/2014 7:03:48 PM, Mikal wrote:

Have you not seen the new atheist movement with Dawkins, the late hitchens, harris, dennet, shermer, and countless others. People are genuinely tired of forcing religion down children's throat and started to take a stand against it

There is a war on religion by a minority in america. That does not make it wrong, it just begs the question of purpose. A lot of people hate religion and with due cause.

I think people should hate organized religion, not the religion in general. Organized religion is when you take something and make it big and you sell it out and you change it and you add rules and dogma. Organized Religion works like every corporate scheme. Something small like duck calls or music can be taken by a CEO or corporate businessman who makes something that was pure and changes it so they can sell out and earn more income. So just like Duck Commander expanding from duck calls to selling t shirts, wine, fake beards, and tea glasses, Organized Religion has made denominations, merchandise, new rules, and different fashion statements. Religion is a philosophy or spirituality in a deity or god that you believe in. There is a war on Organized Religion, by religious people like me too, but not on religion itself.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 7:14:16 PM
At 6/3/2014 7:10:34 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

I think people should hate organized religion, not the religion in general. Organized religion is when you take something and make it big and you sell it out and you change it and you add rules and dogma. Organized Religion works like every corporate scheme. Something small like duck calls or music can be taken by a CEO or corporate businessman who makes something that was pure and changes it so they can sell out and earn more income. So just like Duck Commander expanding from duck calls to selling t shirts, wine, fake beards, and tea glasses, Organized Religion has made denominations, merchandise, new rules, and different fashion statements. Religion is a philosophy or spirituality in a deity or god that you believe in. There is a war on Organized Religion, by religious people like me too, but not on religion itself.

It is the same problem even if own a personal level. Religion gives people a vast amount of reasons to do bad things. This is not saying they would not do bad things without religion, but that religion is a huge catalyst for horrible acts. It acts a way and allows people to justify unthinkable actions in the name of (xyz). If people think they are pleasing a deity or God, they can justify anything in their mind to some extent. I mean just look at the old Catholics or the some Muslims in the present. Anything from jihad to organized holy wars from the church where all fought with the mindset that this was "Gods work". That is the danger it religion. It gives people a reason to justify anything as a rational choice.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 7:28:38 PM
At 6/3/2014 7:14:16 PM, Mikal wrote:

It is the same problem even if own a personal level. Religion gives people a vast amount of reasons to do bad things. This is not saying they would not do bad things without religion, but that religion is a huge catalyst for horrible acts. It acts a way and allows people to justify unthinkable actions in the name of (xyz). If people think they are pleasing a deity or God, they can justify anything in their mind to some extent. I mean just look at the old Catholics or the some Muslims in the present. Anything from jihad to organized holy wars from the church where all fought with the mindset that this was "Gods work". That is the danger it religion. It gives people a reason to justify anything as a rational choice.

Name me a verse in the bible btw that tells christians to commit violent acts in the modern age after Christ's death? What your explaining is a difference in philosophical views. Some good. Some bad. Before I was a Christian, I hated Osama after learning of 9/11. So I planned on killing innocent Muslims in Iraq by using war planes or suicide space shuttles. This was because of my personal belief at the time that murderers deserve torture and punishment in the worst way. I wanted to be the definition of Hell. I was fascinated with death and killing back then.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 7:33:28 PM
At 6/3/2014 7:28:38 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Name me a verse in the bible btw that tells christians to commit violent acts in the modern age after Christ's death? What your explaining is a difference in philosophical views. Some good. Some bad. Before I was a Christian, I hated Osama after learning of 9/11. So I planned on killing innocent Muslims in Iraq by using war planes or suicide space shuttles. This was because of my personal belief at the time that murderers deserve torture and punishment in the worst way. I wanted to be the definition of Hell. I was fascinated with death and killing back then.

It's not the matter of whether it says "kill" (x) or (y). It is the fact people can use it as a catalyst to develop the idea to do so. That is true with anything but religion gives a great deal more credence to the actions committed because it adds divinity and purpose to it.
irreverent_god
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 8:01:32 PM

You state this despite the fact that the majority of the most critical thinkers (Adams, Jefferson, Hamilton, Madison, Paine etc.) behind the founding of the nation despised religion? Most despised christianity, especially. Furthermore, the Treaty of Tripoli contains the following: "[T]he government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion"." It was signed by John Adams. No christian morals were involved. Liberty and all of its necessary components are the morality of REASON. The morals of christianity are ambiguous, at best, and neither concrete nor rational.

The problem is not that religious people can't pray in schools. The problem is that people do not want to see people praying in schools. It is the "non religious" people that get offended by praying in schools.

Incorrect. We are not offended by prayer; we are irritated by public (out loud) prayer, that our children are expected to "respect." I teach my grandchildren not to respect religion, but to respect people and their right to choose. You can respect the person without respecting their choices... Do you respect the humanity of the drug user? Sure. So do I. Do you respect the choice they have made to use drugs? No. Neither do I. Do I respect the person and their right to choose their beliefs? Of course. Do I respect their choice to believe nonsense and attempt to pass legislation based upon that nonsense? No, nor am I obligated to respect it.

Why did church and state get seperated in the first place? because secularists did not like it. Conservatives are fighting for the rights of the people that want to pray in school but can't because secularists think religious people are forcing religion down their throat by praying.

Wrong. Church and state were separated for two reasons:
1) The founders saw what results from imposing a religion by virtue of political authority. They believed people should be free to choose their own religion, or no religion, at all.
2) They saw (thank you, Rome) the results of placing religious power in the hands of those that assumed divine (unquestionable) authority.
Conservatives are fighting for their right to flaunt their religion, out loud, in the faces of those that are irritated by the sheer stupidity of faith-based life governance. Kids are perfectly free to pray, any time they wish. They are NOT, however, free to make all the other kids stop what they are doing (out of "respect") and listen to a bunch of inane wishes being cast into the ozone layer until they are done. Any conversation held during this prayer is considered "rude." So, then, our (atheist/agnostic) children must cease their conversations with each other, in order to accommodate a religious child carrying on what they believe to be a conversation with an imaginary personality in which our children do not even believe? As long as a religious person is praying, out loud, a non-religious person is expected to stand (sometimes even expected to bow their head) and listen, for as long as the religious kid feels like carrying on this one-sided "conversation" with the "spirit" somewhere "out there...?"
No.
Just no. I will never accept this being inflicted on our younger generation.
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 8:03:16 PM
At 6/3/2014 7:33:28 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 6/3/2014 7:28:38 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

It's not the matter of whether it says "kill" (x) or (y). It is the fact people can use it as a catalyst to develop the idea to do so. That is true with anything but religion gives a great deal more credence to the actions committed because it adds divinity and purpose to it.

So does the anarchy philosophy. So does the straight edge philosophy. So does anti theism if you just want to include that psycho that decided to stab a pastor and threatened to kill his wife by leaving a note. The psycho who atheists were told wasn't an atheist, but a psychotic anti theist.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 8:28:14 PM
At 6/3/2014 7:02:34 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

State sponsored prayer and bible readings where removed from the school's curiculm since it was forcing atheists, muslims, and others to believe in the Judeo-Christian religion or praying to their god. Secularists don't care if Christians pray, they just don't want to be forced to pray to the same god they think doesn't exist. Church and State was separated because countries with an official religion tended to start wars over religion. Such as The Spanish Inquisition and Holocaust.

Nobody forces atheist students to pray when the religious students (and teachers) are praying, the same way that you are not required to say the Pledge of Allegiance.
And no, a single isolated case will not prove me wrong.
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 8:32:42 PM
At 6/3/2014 8:28:14 PM, Crescendo wrote:

Nobody forces atheist students to pray when the religious students (and teachers) are praying, the same way that you are not required to say the Pledge of Allegiance.

Actually It was mandatory. And not only that, it broke the first amendment. You can't make a law that is because of religion. In other words, you can't make a law that allows something religion to have a dominance in a secular area such as school. So to order mandatory prayer to the Judeo-Christian God is making a law for Christianity. Which violates the first amendment.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 8:47:24 PM
At 6/3/2014 8:32:42 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Actually It was mandatory. And not only that, it broke the first amendment. You can't make a law that is because of religion. In other words, you can't make a law that allows something religion to have a dominance in a secular area such as school. So to order mandatory prayer to the Judeo-Christian God is making a law for Christianity. Which violates the first amendment.

Really? Please provide a source to a law still in effect in the United States of America which makes it mandatory for all students to pray to whom you call "the Judeo-Christian God."
On another note, the First Amendment also protects the right to exercise religious freedom. The First Amendment places no restrictions whatsoever on the preachers; it places restrictions on the politicians. CONGRESS shall make no law...
Sorry if I came across as rude.
My View of the World:

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
Cygnus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 8:53:00 PM

As ChristianPunk and AnnaNicole have stated, students are free to pray in public schools if they so wish. However, it is school-sanctioned prayer that is unconstitutional.

School-sanctioned prayer was legal in the US until the SCOTUS ruled in 1962 that such prayer was violating the rights of a group of families, including Jews and Protestants (and only one atheist), in New Hyde Park, NY. And this is something that I have always found equally amusing and maddening when dealing with Christians who insist that their rights are being trodden underfoot. The court case in question in Engel v. Vitale.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Imagine if your child came home from school one day with Islamic prayer beads, and informs you that he or she was told to recite an Islamic prayer, and was even told that eating pork was an abomination against Allah. You would have every right to be angry and deeply concerned about this.

This is why I get amused but angry when I hear Christians whine that their rights are being violated.

Christians' rights to prayer are firmly in tact.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 9:03:26 PM
You can pray in school all you want. But you don't have the right to interrupt class with your prayers. And its the right of other students to not be bullied into praying either.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 9:06:31 PM
My view is that students have the right to quietly pray while inside a classroom, but they do not have the right to pray and interrupt a teacher's lecture or the class activity. Pray is certain students are allowed to do in their personal time, when free time is available and when it isn't a distraction to the lesson plan.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 9:06:52 PM
At 6/3/2014 8:47:24 PM, Crescendo wrote:
At 6/3/2014 8:32:42 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Really? Please provide a source to a law still in effect in the United States of America which makes it mandatory for all students to pray to whom you call "the Judeo-Christian God."
On another note, the First Amendment also protects the right to exercise religious freedom. The First Amendment places no restrictions whatsoever on the preachers; it places restrictions on the politicians. CONGRESS shall make no law...
Sorry if I came across as rude.

I didn't say there was a law still in effect demanding mandatory prayer. I said there was one. This law was before 1962.

It does allow religious freedom, but not the freedom to enforce religion onto others. It places restrictions on politicians and congress, but the laws also affect officials of places like schools, universities, and secular owned businesses.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 9:08:27 PM
And even though I do believe a God exist (I actually do know without a doubt God exist), I'm not all that convinced prayer is all too beneficial.

But that's my opinion.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 9:16:08 PM
At 6/3/2014 7:03:22 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 6/3/2014 6:59:05 PM, annanicole wrote:

LMAO

What's so funny?

A kid in high school has pronounced the big bang theory a F-A-C-T. That is what is funny.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 9:25:09 PM

I completely disagree with teacher-led prayer - individuals can and should be allowed to pray themselves whenever they want. I'm more concerned with anti-theists attempting to ban voluntary, individual-led prayer before council meetings, from coaches and the like - the Constitution specifically notes the right to free exercise of religion cannot be infringed, and that doesn't magically end whenever you enter government property.
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 9:53:23 PM

Hey! How's your elite four team going man?
Dude... Stop...