Total Posts:148|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

You have to be insane to be an Atheist

Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:58:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Insane: in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.

To be an Atheist requires the inconsistent application of principles across a spectrum of studies to arrive at one answer "God does not Exist". Information is selected on it's support of this conclusion. The same faults found in some information is ignored in other pieces to advocate the presupposition.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 11:00:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Since debating on here with some Atheist I have a new found interest in a personal relationship with a God. I can clearly see it as the only line of investigation that is rationally sound and not a futile expression or reasoning for meaningless opinions.
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 1:27:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Interesting conclusion. However, you do realize it will be taken out of context, to presume other people are sane?
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 1:53:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 1:27:33 PM, Ragnar wrote:
Interesting conclusion. However, you do realize it will be taken out of context, to presume other people are sane?

We base evidence on it's explanatory power. We accept things when it conforms to how reality works.

Atheist and their belief systems based in a materialistic naturalistic science has shown that the answers to what started the universe is meaningless, that the origins of life is meaningless, that an accurate description of wither is unknowable, that a responsibility to each other is near meaningless, that historical accounts are meaningless, that stuff can come from nowhere for no reason, that our thoughts are not unique or special, that perceptions can be faked, therefore perception of things are unreliable etc..

I just don't see how that is a path that rewards a truth seeker. Seems like a dead end.
Zylorarchy
Posts: 209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 5:22:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Ah, another anti-atheist post... Really though, atheism does not fit the definition in the slightest.
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 5:53:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 10:58:14 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Insane: in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.

To be an Atheist requires the inconsistent application of principles across a spectrum of studies to arrive at one answer "God does not Exist". Information is selected on it's support of this conclusion. The same faults found in some information is ignored in other pieces to advocate the presupposition.

Do elaborate on your statement above, please. Which principles and which spectrum of studies are you referring to? You've stuck your toes in the water, you might as well dive in!!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 5:54:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 5:53:15 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 6/6/2014 10:58:14 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Insane: in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.

To be an Atheist requires the inconsistent application of principles across a spectrum of studies to arrive at one answer "God does not Exist". Information is selected on it's support of this conclusion. The same faults found in some information is ignored in other pieces to advocate the presupposition.

Do elaborate on your statement above, please. Which principles and which spectrum of studies are you referring to? You've stuck your toes in the water, you might as well dive in!!

Sometimes those types of posts don't warrant any kind of intelligent response...

I mean after all, we are allegedly insane, so what does he expect?
Crescendo
Posts: 470
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 6:47:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 10:58:14 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Insane: in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.

To be an Atheist requires the inconsistent application of principles across a spectrum of studies to arrive at one answer "God does not Exist". Information is selected on it's support of this conclusion. The same faults found in some information is ignored in other pieces to advocate the presupposition.

Please stop. This thread will do little more than insult atheists.
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
http://www.debate.org...
Such
Posts: 1,110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 7:26:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 1:53:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 6/6/2014 1:27:33 PM, Ragnar wrote:
Interesting conclusion. However, you do realize it will be taken out of context, to presume other people are sane?

We base evidence on it's explanatory power. We accept things when it conforms to how reality works.

Atheist and their belief systems based in a materialistic naturalistic science has shown that the answers to what started the universe is meaningless, that the origins of life is meaningless, that an accurate description of wither is unknowable, that a responsibility to each other is near meaningless, that historical accounts are meaningless, that stuff can come from nowhere for no reason, that our thoughts are not unique or special, that perceptions can be faked, therefore perception of things are unreliable etc..

I just don't see how that is a path that rewards a truth seeker. Seems like a dead end.

I don't see how any of the above relates to atheism, nor how the description the OP is indicative of insanity.

I, personally, am not an atheist. However, my worldview includes an acknowledgement of and appreciation for a spectrum of religions and religious studies. I don't know what I would consider myself. At most, I'm spiritual, perhaps. Maybe not even that. I identify with Christians. But, once, I had a dream that there was an old man who insisted that I've always been and always will be a Buddhist. I feel like there's a lot to learn from a lot of religions.

An informed assessment of what we know of reality cannot be made without a diverse and broad interpretation of many types of study. I'm not saying that it's fair to cherrypick, but that doesn't appear to be what atheists do.

The scientific existence of God or the scientific validity of religion is currently unable to be attained, rendering them unfalsifiable. Therefore, people aren't left with scientific answers to such questions. They must deduce it logically.

Logically, there are arguments for and against religions. You end up with people who are convinced, like you, those who are agnostic, or unsure, and those who are simply unconvinced, or convinced otherwise, known as atheists. None of those three vastly broad and generalized conclusions are necessarily "crazy."

There are many atheists that are utilitarians or nihilists, which does lead them down the road to the sort of thought you're describing above. But, it's important to remember that they aren't atheist worldviews, they're utilitarian and nihilistic worldviews. Many of those people just so happen to be nihilists, as well.

Nihilism and utilitarianism are chic on this site, which is not a representative population of anything except internet citizens who like to argue and prefer this atmosphere to several others (or haven't discovered others yet, or are too lazy to find ones with more obscure names). I personally deeply disagree with both nihilism and utilitarianism on a few levels. But, I don't think they're crazy. Sure, I think they're wrong, but that's because I wouldn't knowingly pursue a perspective that I consider wrong, and their perspectives contradict my own. However, I'm not so myopic as to believe that it's impossible that I'm wrong, or that those who don't share my perspectives must be crazy.

This is debate.org, not conclusion.org or persuade.org. The good fight is never over. Keep fighting it, if you still think you're right. Don't lament the prevalence of differing opinions.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 7:33:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
You don't have to arrive at the conclusion "God doesn't exist" to be an atheist. You just have to answer "no" when asked whether you believe that one or more gods exist. There is nothing "insane" about that since there isn't any independent, convincing evidence supporting the idea that any gods exist.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:21:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 10:58:14 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Insane: in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.

To be an Atheist requires the inconsistent application of principles across a spectrum of studies to arrive at one answer "God does not Exist". Information is selected on it's support of this conclusion. The same faults found in some information is ignored in other pieces to advocate the presupposition.

You have to be insane or very immature to believe that an invisible supernatural person in the sky is real instead of understanding all story book Gods are mythical characters.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 1:58:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 5:54:59 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 6/6/2014 5:53:15 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 6/6/2014 10:58:14 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Insane: in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.

To be an Atheist requires the inconsistent application of principles across a spectrum of studies to arrive at one answer "God does not Exist". Information is selected on it's support of this conclusion. The same faults found in some information is ignored in other pieces to advocate the presupposition.

Do elaborate on your statement above, please. Which principles and which spectrum of studies are you referring to? You've stuck your toes in the water, you might as well dive in!!

Sometimes those types of posts don't warrant any kind of intelligent response...

I mean after all, we are allegedly insane, so what does he expect?

Yea, you're probably right. This is what happens when I listen to the voices in my head!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 2:47:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 1:53:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 6/6/2014 1:27:33 PM, Ragnar wrote:
Interesting conclusion. However, you do realize it will be taken out of context, to presume other people are sane?

Let's see...

We base evidence on it's explanatory power. We accept things when it conforms to how reality works.

And what kind of explanatory power do we get from supernatural explanations? God creates lightning. God creates earthquakes. God creates gravity. In any of these, how have I actually explained anything to a greater extent than I would have if I had said that lightning, earthquakes, and gravitational forces exist because I said so? How can I even test whether I am right or not? If I said things were that way because I said so, I could at least try saying "okay, no more gravity please" and quickly falsify my explanation. With supernatural explanations, there is no way to proceed. That is a logical dead end.

Atheist and their belief systems based in a materialistic naturalistic science has shown that the answers to what started the universe is meaningless,

of subjective value*

that the origins of life is meaningless,

of subjective value*

that an accurate description of wither is unknowable,

This part makes no sense. Do you mean weather?

that a responsibility to each other is near meaningless,

of subjective value*

that historical accounts are meaningless,

of subjective value*

that stuff can come from nowhere for no reason, that our thoughts are not unique or special,

Unique, yes. Special, subjective.

that perceptions can be faked, therefore perception of things are unreliable etc..

Anything else would suggest that everything you see under the influence of LSD is real. Do you wish to argue against this?

I just don't see how that is a path that rewards a truth seeker. Seems like a dead end.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
debateuser
Posts: 1,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 3:15:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 10:58:14 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Insane: in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.

atheists have higher IQ. See the study below

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

To be an Atheist requires the inconsistent application of principles across a spectrum of studies to arrive at one answer "God does not Exist". Information is selected on it's support of this conclusion. The same faults found in some information is ignored in other pieces to advocate the presupposition.

to be a theist requires believing in human claims and not requiring claim from a deity face to face.
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 3:21:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 5:22:42 PM, Zylorarchy wrote:
Ah, another anti-atheist post... Really though, atheism does not fit the definition in the slightest.

Right, another atheist pretends that not believing in God is a difficult concept for anyone but atheists to grasp. BRAVO!

And that somehow proves that atheists are not doing is clearly on evidence? The definition, you see ...
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 3:29:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 7:33:58 PM, Burzmali wrote:
You don't have to arrive at the conclusion "God doesn't exist" to be an atheist. You just have to answer "no" when asked whether you believe that one or more gods exist. There is nothing "insane" about that since there isn't any independent, convincing evidence supporting the idea that any gods exist.

And when answering "No" leads you not to disagree, but rather to disrespect? To begin calling religion the source of all evil in the world? That is not merely disagreement is it?

http://www.webmd.com...

Tell me, if you walk into a church and begin ranting that the entire, peaceful community is instead the basis of pedophillac rape, slavery, and a source of pugnacious evil ...

Well, why is that not a simple psychosis?

Yes, that kind of behavior is, by definition, insanity.

Indeed, can you find a single atheist on this forum that is actually having a learned discussion about religion? Or is the constant demand for 'evidence' while they provide none and continuously find excuses to dismiss what is presented? Is it a constant lecture about science, as if being lectured somehow means we weren't in the same classrooms you were? You see Jesus being discussed by atheists here? Or Creationism - which is hardly central to Christianity is it? You see botched prison studies so atheists can say they are superior? The FSM and Invisible Pink unicorns ... central to what faith?

Again, its all a one way diatribe for every atheist on this forum, and several them have ben reduced to nothing more than abusive polemics.

You think people don't notice it when atheists follow you around the forum to continuously ambush and insult you? Is that a problem of definitions in atheism? Or is that a behavior problem?

And yes, when people, all atheists, decide that they need to abuse people on the internet as a form of petty score settling ... that pretty much defines insanity.

Look around atheists. You are all single, white males. All roughly the same age. All making the exact same arguments over and over again.

Whatever that is, its certainly not logic, for logic knows no boundaries of ethnicity, gender, or marital status. Ideology however? Cult like Dogma? That does tend to afflict people of a certain mental and economic state.
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 4:29:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 7:33:58 PM, Burzmali wrote:
You don't have to arrive at the conclusion "God doesn't exist" to be an atheist. You just have to answer "no" when asked whether you believe that one or more gods exist. There is nothing "insane" about that since there isn't any independent, convincing evidence supporting the idea that any gods exist.

Wouldn't that be the definition of a closet agnostic pretending to be an atheist?
Mineva
Posts: 336
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 4:39:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2014 3:15:03 AM, debateuser wrote:
atheists have higher IQ. See the study below

I can refute your claim in different ways, I just want to ask a simple question. Firstly we can distinguish IQ under different groups, verbal intelligence, numeric intelligence, visial intelligence, musical intelligence, bodily intelligence, social intelligence, natural intelligence, emotional intelligence, internal intelligence. These are not the things that you can earn suddenly and you can lose suddenly. My question is what you think about the atheists those who convert Islam ? They are intelligent persons and do you think they lose their intelligence suddenly ? or we can say just the opposite, does a theist person who become an atheist lives an intelligence boom ?

Also your link is not clear enough and includes logical errors and word games.

Atheist were more successful according to 53 different study. Theist were more successful according to 10 different study. Which one was the true study ? To say atheists are more intelligent or theist are more intelligent, all the studies must result in favor of atheists or theists, still it could not be a "fact" but just a "claim" or "study".
bulproof
Posts: 25,249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 4:41:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2014 3:29:59 AM, neutral wrote:
Look around atheists. You are all single, white males. All roughly the same age. All making the exact same arguments over and over again.

By f*ck you're funny. You must be king of the kids in the gay bars you drink at.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
debateuser
Posts: 1,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 4:56:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2014 4:39:50 AM, Mineva wrote:
At 6/7/2014 3:15:03 AM, debateuser wrote:
atheists have higher IQ. See the study below


I can refute your claim in different ways, I just want to ask a simple question. Firstly we can distinguish IQ under different groups, verbal intelligence, numeric intelligence, visial intelligence, musical intelligence, bodily intelligence, social intelligence, natural intelligence, emotional intelligence, internal intelligence.

IQ test details
http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

These are not the things that you can earn suddenly and you can lose suddenly. My question is what you think about the atheists those who convert Islam ? They are intelligent persons and do you think they lose their intelligence suddenly ? or we can say just the opposite, does a theist person who become an atheist lives an intelligence boom

Usually atheists don't convert to religion. More theists convert to atheism rather than the opposite. These study show that people who are currently atheists are more likely to have higher IQ. They don't say that they can or can not convert .

Also your link is not clear enough and includes logical errors and word games.

Atheist were more successful according to 53 different study. Theist were more successful according to 10 different study. Which one was the true study ? To say atheists are more intelligent or theist are more intelligent, all the studies must result in favor of atheists or theists, still it could not be a "fact" but just a "claim" or "study".

You can see that the average is still in favour of atheism . Every study does not have to give same result because there are individual differences too. And also look at this study which shows that scientists are less likely to be religious than the general population

http://www.pewforum.org...
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 5:27:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 1:53:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 6/6/2014 1:27:33 PM, Ragnar wrote:
Interesting conclusion. However, you do realize it will be taken out of context, to presume other people are sane?

We base evidence on it's explanatory power. We accept things when it conforms to how reality works.

"Explanatory power is the ability of a hypothesis to effectively explain the subject matter it pertains to. One theory is sometimes said to have more explanatory power than another theory about the same subject matter if it offers greater predictive power. That is, if it offers more details about what we should expect to see, and what we should not."

"God did it" offers no predictive power. But it does give you something to say when you have no idea what is going on.

Why did it rain today ? God did it. See God gives explanatory power..........

Take that atheists !!!
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Mineva
Posts: 336
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 5:46:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2014 4:56:52 AM, debateuser wrote:
Usually atheists don't convert to religion. More theists convert to atheism rather than the opposite. These study show that people who are currently atheists are more likely to have higher IQ. They don't say that they can or can not convert .

You can see that the average is still in favour of atheism . Every study does not have :to give same result because there are individual differences too. And also look at this :study which shows that scientists are less likely to be religious than the general :population

http://www.pewforum.org...

and I said how you know which one is the true study ? Various theories have been proposed about evolution for years. Today, why the only one is accepted as the most proper ? So according to your logic its wrong which we accept today, because general or average tells different stories.

So you say "Every study does not have to give same result because there are individual differences too" , how you know which study included the "true individuals" ? Are there a device to measure it ?

Peace
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 6:12:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2014 4:41:55 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 6/7/2014 3:29:59 AM, neutral wrote:
Look around atheists. You are all single, white males. All roughly the same age. All making the exact same arguments over and over again.

By f*ck you're funny. You must be king of the kids in the gay bars you drink at.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

More scholarship from atheists ...

The OP expresses exasperation with athtards who behave like this ... and atheists are all incensed because that is just a minority ... yet here it is. Not a single atheist will reign in the athtards admits you ... and yet you want us to ignore the constant petulant attacks? The stirring up and, one sided defense of frankly deplorable behavior?

Any ideology that fails to see behavior as bad as bully boy and IG is, by definition, out of touch with reality.

You are entitled to your choices atheists, just please stop asking - indeed demanding that we treat this crap like its rational.
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 6:16:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2014 5:27:54 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 6/6/2014 1:53:04 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 6/6/2014 1:27:33 PM, Ragnar wrote:
Interesting conclusion. However, you do realize it will be taken out of context, to presume other people are sane?

We base evidence on it's explanatory power. We accept things when it conforms to how reality works.

"Explanatory power is the ability of a hypothesis to effectively explain the subject matter it pertains to. One theory is sometimes said to have more explanatory power than another theory about the same subject matter if it offers greater predictive power. That is, if it offers more details about what we should expect to see, and what we should not."

"God did it" offers no predictive power. But it does give you something to say when you have no idea what is going on.

Why did it rain today ? God did it. See God gives explanatory power..........

Take that atheists !!!

Do you see a single religion person claiming it rains because God did it?

Apparently, the entire concept of free will, Calvinism being a small and largely confined to the past phenomena, is bereft of the atheist understanding of religion?

Why does murder happen? Do religious people answer, "God did it!" Or do acerbic and acidic atheists offer it up as a straw man?

Don;t religious people answer that murder happens because MAN chooses to disobey God? As God allows? Going all the way back to Cain and Able? That whole free will thing ... not being slaves, etc.

Yet you will then turn around and accuse of supporting slavery.

Me thinks atheists of this type are just socially inept. I mean no one ever accused Dawkins of being a great lover ... except South Park.