Jump to topic:

Purpose

cosecant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 1:11:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Considering that a religion has to be good, what then is it's purpose?. Everyone is allowed to give his opinion..... .
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 4:39:25 PM
At 6/7/2014 1:11:22 PM, cosecant wrote:
Considering that a religion has to be good, what then is it's purpose?. Everyone is allowed to give his opinion..... .

If by religion you mean doing a bunch of stuff to get into heaven, then absolutely nothing.
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
http://www.debate.org...
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 7:45:13 PM

In Christianity, the purpose of it is to connect the individual to God, it is a "path" or a direction to Him. It's spiritual information that we need, it's answers to the idea of creation, communication with God, information about life and death and what happens when our flesh perishes. It's purpose is to clarify spiritual truths and provide the reader with a clear idea of what God desires from us. It's a "teaching".
cosecant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 2:29:13 PM
At 6/7/2014 7:45:13 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

In Christianity, the purpose of it is to connect the individual to God, it is a "path" or a direction to Him. It's spiritual information that we need, it's answers to the idea of creation, communication with God, information about life and death and what happens when our flesh perishes. It's purpose is to clarify spiritual truths and provide the reader with a clear idea of what God desires from us. It's a "teaching".

IF I, COSECANT IS NOT MISTAKEN, SOME OTHER RELIGIONS ALSO PROPOSE THAT.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:01:39 PM
At 6/10/2014 2:29:13 PM, cosecant wrote:
At 6/7/2014 7:45:13 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

IF I, COSECANT IS NOT MISTAKEN, SOME OTHER RELIGIONS ALSO PROPOSE THAT.

What does this have to do with the OP?
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 6:04:29 PM

I'd be willing to answer your question, however, would you elaborate more on what your asking please?
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 6:09:51 PM

When and how was it determined that a religion "has to be good"? Satan worship isn't a religion? I believe it is. And of course, if one reads the Bible with an objective eye, it's pretty horrifying. I don't think there is much of a case for most religions "being good". They tend to have a very negative effect on people.

But I think the purpose is to provide people with emotional pacification, which of course, provides those intelligent enough to recognize the fraud, a degree of control over the masses.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2014 1:25:55 PM
At 6/10/2014 6:09:51 PM, Beastt wrote:

When and how was it determined that a religion "has to be good"? Satan worship isn't a religion? I believe it is. And of course, if one reads the Bible with an objective eye, it's pretty horrifying. I don't think there is much of a case for most religions "being good". They tend to have a very negative effect on people.

But I think the purpose is to provide people with emotional pacification, which of course, provides those intelligent enough to recognize the fraud, a degree of control over the masses.

Right, that Jesus was CLEARLY worse than Satan ... what saving adulteresses from stoning? Cad! Healing lepers and the sick? Jerk! Healing a foreigners servant? Wanker. Raises a man's innocent daughter and restores life? Why that is as evil as doctors! I wonder why they didn't nail him to a cross?! ... wait ...

The real evil? Yeah, he fed thousands of hungry people. Evil.

Satan? That angelic figure? Just tried to enslave man kind. Obviously, this is a minor error when compared to ... er, healing the sick ... that cad.

Really, is this just insult anything Christian and hope it sticks .. I mean that discerning eye of your must have missed that. Or it seems to have made war something that only happened to Jews of something? Odd for a discerning eye to miss something as common as really brutal war in the rest of humanity.
cosecant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 10:06:42 PM
At 6/10/2014 6:04:29 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

I'd be willing to answer your question, however, would you elaborate more on what your asking please?

Just the purpose of religion.....
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 12:07:22 AM
At 6/11/2014 1:25:55 PM, neutral wrote:
Satan? That angelic figure? Just tried to enslave man kind

Do you have any evidence to support this claim?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 12:36:59 AM
At 6/13/2014 12:07:22 AM, bulproof wrote:

Google.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 12:45:39 AM
At 6/13/2014 12:36:59 AM, neutral wrote:
At 6/13/2014 12:07:22 AM, bulproof wrote:

Google.
So your answer is NO.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 2:44:42 AM

Presuming it is good and wants to do good, its purpose is to teach people to be good and not bad. However they do it through fear mongering and threatening people with hell if they don't obey the rules of the religion or believe in their particular god.