Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

The Bomb to End All Bombs (The GOD BOMB)

Rastarigate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 1:08:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Questions to atheists and theists:

If you could imagine ONE singular event that would completely turn you from a theist to an atheist and vice versa, what do you think that could be?

My leaving Christianity was over a series of years, which were accented by "spikes" in my decision (the age of the universe , etc.), but just for poops and giggles imagine a scenario where it was a one shot wonder.

One event that would convince you almost beyond a shadow of a doubt, what would that be?
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 1:21:33 PM
Only if somehow God was proven without a doubt to be impossible to exist and the causation of everything, the "science god" was proven to be the answer to everything without a doubt.
Nolite Timere
Rastarigate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 1:26:43 PM
At 6/12/2014 1:21:33 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Only if somehow God was proven without a doubt to be impossible to exist and the causation of everything, the "science god" was proven to be the answer to everything without a doubt.

Not quite what I was looking for, but thank you.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 1:29:25 PM
At 6/12/2014 1:08:25 PM, Rastarigate wrote:

If you could imagine ONE singular event that would completely turn you from a theist to an atheist and vice versa, what do you think that could be?

My leaving Christianity was over a series of years, which were accented by "spikes" in my decision (the age of the universe , etc.), but just for poops and giggles imagine a scenario where it was a one shot wonder.

One event that would convince you almost beyond a shadow of a doubt, what would that be?

The moon splits in half like it is depicted in the Qu'ran and Allah speaks across the world with this sign...

Should be easy enough.
Rastarigate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 1:30:58 PM
At 6/12/2014 1:29:25 PM, Envisage wrote:

The moon splits in half like it is depicted in the Qu'ran and Allah speaks across the world with this sign...

Should be easy enough.

Yeah, I'd be scared pissless and would don my head towel and look forward to a whole lot of virgins in the afterlife.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 1:31:34 PM

Or if we knew what we knew now about cosmology, astrophysics and thermodynamics, and found that the universe was static and not expanding. Would be pretty clear evidence of spontaneous creation.
BradK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 5:34:54 PM
I'm an atheist....

I'd still be atheist if god were real. Except I'd pray and worship and all that because there would actually be an effect, and there would be a big god in the sky that you could look up and see and go "oh there he is".

But I still wouldn't believe in superstitious nonsense that had no evidence. I'd still be an atheist, because that's what atheism is.. I hope this makes sense.
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 9:57:05 PM
I think a genuine prophecy would do it.....and by genuine I mean, a very specific and detailed fortelling of an event, BEFORE it happens.

It doesn't mean interpreting a passage or prophecy so it fits the details of an event, AFTER the event has occurred.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 2:20:31 AM
If when I die I meet some dude who wants to send me to hell for not believing in him.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Rastarigate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2014 8:38:46 AM
At 6/12/2014 9:57:05 PM, Drayson wrote:
I think a genuine prophecy would do it.....and by genuine I mean, a very specific and detailed fortelling of an event, BEFORE it happens.

It doesn't mean interpreting a passage or prophecy so it fits the details of an event, AFTER the event has occurred.

You mean like, "In the year 2023 at exactly 3:15 PM in the State of PA, city of Philadelphia, at the Pub called Pub Frosty, a cat named Cornelius will stand on his hind legs and play ping pong with a set of golden nunchucks..."

Yeah, I'd be pretty scared if that happened...