Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Does the moral argument refute sola fide?

boywonder23k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 3:48:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The premesis of the "moral argument" seem to rebound back on protestant apologists and theologians. If one is to affirm that

1. objective moral values and duties exist

and also..

2. mans conscience responds to what God has written on his heart

one must also admit that"

3 Universal agreement of underlying moral principles is a good indication as to what Gods moral Law is.

Once all three of those premises are granted, the observation that".

4. Man universally agrees that his deeds will play a role in determining his eternal destiny (either positively or negatively).

Becomes devastating to the protestant doctrine of "sola fide", because it entails that"

5. God has written on the hearts of man that their deeds do play a role in determining their eternal destiny (either positively or negatively).

Which would immediately disprove the doctrine of salvation by grace alone through faith alone.
The full argument is presented here

http://www.coffeehouseinquisition.com...

DOes this disprove the protestant notion of salvation?
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 4:11:31 PM
At 6/12/2014 3:48:36 PM, boywonder23k wrote:
The premesis of the "moral argument" seem to rebound back on protestant apologists and theologians. If one is to affirm that

and also..

3 Universal agreement of underlying moral principles is a good indication as to what Gods moral Law is.

4. Man universally agrees that his deeds will play a role in determining his eternal destiny (either positively or negatively).

Becomes devastating to the protestant doctrine of "sola fide", because it entails that"

5. God has written on the hearts of man that their deeds do play a role in determining their eternal destiny (either positively or negatively).

Which would immediately disprove the doctrine of salvation by grace alone through faith alone.

I would say that #4 is very obviously false. There seems to be a large number of people on both sides of the idea. Even if the split was 20% think deeds don't play a role and 80% do, I wouldn't call that universal agreement.

Really, I have issues with all of your premises, but #4 is the most easily refuted.
boywonder23k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 6:41:59 PM
At 6/12/2014 4:11:31 PM, Burzmali wrote:

and also..

I would say that #4 is very obviously false. There seems to be a large number of people on both sides of the idea. Even if the split was 20% think deeds don't play a role and 80% do, I wouldn't call that universal agreement.

Really, I have issues with all of your premises, but #4 is the most easily refuted.

It depends on how one defines universal. The fact is that every religion on the planet believes our deeds play a role in deciding our after life besides reformed protestantism. In fact, every religion EVER, In the history of the world has known this. Thats about as universal as it gets
marvinthemartian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2014 10:19:38 AM
At 6/12/2014 6:41:59 PM, boywonder23k wrote:
At 6/12/2014 4:11:31 PM, Burzmali wrote:

and also..

It depends on how one defines universal. The fact is that every religion on the planet believes our deeds play a role in deciding our after life besides reformed protestantism. In fact, every religion EVER, In the history of the world has known this. Thats about as universal as it gets

Except you literally just mentioned a religion which doesn't agree. That makes it not universal. Also there are religions that have little or nothing to do with any sort of salvation or what you must to do attain it. Not buying your assessment.

http://www.religionfacts.com...