Jump to topic:

Just answer the question.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 6:54:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
In this thread I am asking if everybody could just answer the question without comment.
It will, I hope, provide a poll of some sort.

The question is:

Are the six days of creation six 24hr days?
A:YES
B:NO

Thank you for participating.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 10:35:36 AM
At 6/16/2014 6:54:19 AM, bulproof wrote:
In this thread I am asking if everybody could just answer the question without comment.

The question is:

When I was a theist, my answer would have been, "No". I will leave it at that for now..
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 11:02:47 AM

The question is:

I select A: yes.
Let your words be the genuine picture of your heart- John Wesley
Money is a horrid thing to follow, but a charming thing to meet-Henry James
SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 11:24:12 AM
I'm not a theist, but I've read the bible and I would say B if I were a theist and a Christian.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 11:40:21 AM
A

Reminder that in Genesis it said that God waits before doing that. Any autistic hyper-literal atheists look at the bible will not show this though.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 12:12:33 PM

The question is:

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 3:13:43 PM

The question is:

How long is 24 hours? is an hour in the bible an hour we experience today or on hour next to a black hole?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 3:58:19 PM
At 6/16/2014 3:13:43 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

The question is:

How long is 24 hours? is an hour in the bible an hour we experience today or on hour next to a black hole?

lol, sooo, no answer? :-)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 4:02:05 PM
At 6/16/2014 3:58:19 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

The question is:

I'm asking for definition. I know Atheist like to play semantics. So I am just making sure we all understand the same question.

How long is this 24 hour day? How much is 24? what is an hour? what is a day? Is this the hour that transpires near a black hole or earth. IS the observer taking the measurement of this amount of time moving at the speed of light? Or is the observer near a black hole?

It's very important to define reference points when dealing with time and space.
BradK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 4:18:27 PM
At 6/16/2014 4:02:05 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

The question is:

I'm asking for definition. I know Atheist like to play semantics. So I am just making sure we all understand the same question.

How long is this 24 hour day? How much is 24? what is an hour? what is a day? Is this the hour that transpires near a black hole or earth. IS the observer taking the measurement of this amount of time moving at the speed of light? Or is the observer near a black hole?

It's very important to define reference points when dealing with time and space.

That's a good point I never thought about relativity. Though the question that follows would be, did the author of the bible intend this in the classical physics sense, or the relativistic physics sense? Was the author aware that time doesn't tick at the same rate everywhere, or was the author simply unaware of relativity and did literally mean both the observer and the earth are experiencing the creation at the same rate of time, from a rest frame of reference?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 4:36:21 PM
At 6/16/2014 4:02:05 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

The question is:

I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to the two viewpoints in the Christian camp: 6 literal 24 hour periods or 6 periods of time. It doesn't seem that semantically challenging to me. :-P

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 4:38:32 PM
When I was a Christian, I originally thought it was 6 days until I was about 8.. Then No, and I was a Christian till last year.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 10:39:41 PM
A simple little question that generates so much fear.

Hell's like that I guess.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 11:18:02 PM
At 6/16/2014 11:40:21 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
A

Reminder that in Genesis it said that God waits before doing that. Any autistic hyper-literal atheists look at the bible will not show this though.

Response to sentence #1: not sure what you mean
Response to sentence #2: still laughing, i. e. the truth is usually funnier than fiction.

Talking with them is sometimes hilarious. Gen 1 is a loosely-constructed 'order of events' without even so much as a hint as to when "in the beginning" is. I do not propose to know when it was, nor do I propose that anyone else knows. I do not propose that Moses knew.

We do know that "in the beginning" two things were created: (1) the heavens, with its component parts and (2) the earth. We know that at this time - and after this time, the earth was void (uninhabited) and disorganized (without form).

When was "the beginning"? Who knows? Not me!
For how long was the earth uninhabited and void? No clue. The Bible does not say.

We can surmise that the atmosphere was very dark, such that light could scarcely penetrate it.

Was the atmosphere dark at the time of creation? I dunno. Bible does not say.
How long was the earth darkened? I dunno. Bible does not say.
Exactly what happened to change it? I dunno. Bible does not say.

We know that liquids were present.

What were these liquids? I dunno. Bible does not say.
How long after creation did these liquids appear? I dunno. Bible does not say.
What was the temperature at the time? I dunno. The Bible left it out.

And on and on. If science wants to try to answer - or guess at an answer - to some of these things, then that's great! If a Christian wants to believe that it all happened six or seven thousand years ago, so what? I do not find people's conjectures on the subject worthy of much concern.

I'm surprised that some "autistic" tardo hasn't alleged a contradiction based upon the word "beginning". I'll do it: it's fun to be stupid.

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth"

"And He answered and said, Have ye not read, that he who made them in the beginning made them male and female"

"He saith unto them, Moses for your hardness of heart suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it hath not been so."

"And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them, even as on us at the beginning."

Lookie! In or at the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth, created men and women, did not allow them to put away their wives (plural, so there must have been more women then Eve 'in the beginning'), and the Holy Spirit fell on the apostles. All of that happened before there was any LIGHT! Thus, we have an irreconcilable absurdity - and don't try to explain your way around it because ... I'm autistic. Just be done with it. Reject the Bible. It's a farce. LMAO.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 1:41:29 AM
At 6/16/2014 11:29:16 PM, bulproof wrote:
Can't answer the question Anna?

What question? I responded to a specific post. He didn't ask any questions.

If you mean your opening question, I've already answered it - not on this thread, but I've answered it.

For the record, the answer is, "No".

I do not propose to know just how long each so-called "day" was - nor do I have much of a problem with those who DO think they are literal 24-hr days. I do have a problem with someone who reads the Hebrew of Gen 1 and concludes that the "heavens" were created without the sun and moon. I've had that happen on here. I have a slight problem with someone claiming that the liquids of Gen 1: 2 are pure, old H2O. Even though the English versions say it for convenience, the Hebrew does not demand it. I've had that happen too.

Now I have a question:

"And on the seventh day God finished his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and hallowed it." (Gen 2: 2-3). According to the Bible ..... ,

Did God "rest" on the first 7th "day", the Sabbath - and bless and hallow it at the same time? Or were there intervening millennia between the "resting" and the "blessing and hallowing"?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 1:46:21 AM
At 6/16/2014 11:18:02 PM, annanicole wrote:
A

Response to sentence #2: still laughing, i. e. the truth is usually funnier than fiction.

Talking with them is sometimes hilarious. Gen 1 is a loosely-constructed 'order of events' without even so much as a hint as to when "in the beginning" is. I do not propose to know when it was, nor do I propose that anyone else knows. I do not propose that Moses knew.

We do know that "in the beginning" two things were created: (1) the heavens, with its component parts and (2) the earth. We know that at this time - and after this time, the earth was void (uninhabited) and disorganized (without form).

For how long was the earth uninhabited and void? No clue. The Bible does not say.

We can surmise that the atmosphere was very dark, such that light could scarcely penetrate it.

And on and on. If science wants to try to answer - or guess at an answer - to some of these things, then that's great! If a Christian wants to believe that it all happened six or seven thousand years ago, so what? I do not find people's conjectures on the subject worthy of much concern.

I'm surprised that some "autistic" tardo hasn't alleged a contradiction based upon the word "beginning". I'll do it: it's fun to be stupid.

"And He answered and said, Have ye not read, that he who made them in the beginning made them male and female"

"He saith unto them, Moses for your hardness of heart suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it hath not been so."

"And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them, even as on us at the beginning."

Lookie! In or at the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth, created men and women, did not allow them to put away their wives (plural, so there must have been more women then Eve 'in the beginning'), and the Holy Spirit fell on the apostles. All of that happened before there was any LIGHT! Thus, we have an irreconcilable absurdity - and don't try to explain your way around it because ... I'm autistic. Just be done with it. Reject the Bible. It's a farce. LMAO.

You miss one more point. There are verses where God says let.. and verses where God creates or made.

The let implies such a creation has at one time already existed. It was not the first time God had made it.

So before the Earth was void and uninhabited it could have been home to the things God said Let grow.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 1:50:58 AM
At 6/17/2014 1:46:21 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
A

You miss one more point. There are verses where God says let.. and verses where God creates or made.

The let implies such a creation has at one time already existed. It was not the first time God had made it.

So before the Earth was void and uninhabited it could have been home to the things God said Let grow.

I had a Sunday School teacher who was an electrical engineer and worked directly under Admiral Nimintz on the nuclear subs. That's what he believed, though I never paid much attention to it either way. Possible, according the narrative, I guess.

I will say that I know of no instance in which the Bible elsewhere alludes to such a scheme of things. That doesn't mean it's not there: it just means I do not recall it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 2:18:35 AM
Do you think that making any word meaningless is a good debating tactic?
Christians love to do it.
They are the words of god allegedly.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 3:39:29 AM

The question is:

B: NO

If the first day is the combination of light and darkness is space, that first day is not even over yet since the light and darkness in space is always there.
The number of days is just an illusion seen from the perspective of Earth.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 4:00:35 AM

Are the heavens the abode of God? Has God been in the heavens for all eternity? If not, where was he before heaven was created? Nowhere?

According to Revelation GOD SAYS HE IS THE BEGINNING. Logically that makes God TIME itself not some being in the sky. He is no more a Father figure than Father time.
Rev 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
If God IS the beginning and is also eternal, the beginning is logically eternal and infinite.

I can surmise that many peoples minds are so dark that the light can scarcely penetrate it either. However I do know that light can dispel darkness.
However light also creates darkness and also makes some people blind.
The beginning of the light is the beginning of a revelation. FEW find it.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 4:06:32 AM
No

Creationism is merely an idea and a concept. The beginning of Genesis is just meant to instill images into the mind of the reader, both young and old. Approaching the creation story in Genesis from a more scientific standpoint is absolutely absurd IMO.
Empiren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 4:44:24 AM
A: Yes if you are following the bible through a literal interpretation.

B: No if you are trying your hardest to be the best apologetic you can be.

This is according to the bible, according to reality.....
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 5:44:02 AM
At 6/17/2014 4:00:35 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Are the heavens the abode of God? Has God been in the heavens for all eternity? If not, where was he before heaven was created? Nowhere?

According to Revelation GOD SAYS HE IS THE BEGINNING. Logically that makes God TIME itself not some being in the sky. He is no more a Father figure than Father time.
Rev 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
If God IS the beginning and is also eternal, the beginning is logically eternal and infinite.

So Jesus Christ is the BEGINNING? Logically, that makes Jesus TIME itself. Patently strange, coming from you.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 7:18:42 AM
At 6/17/2014 4:06:32 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
No

Creationism is merely an idea and a concept. The beginning of Genesis is just meant to instill images into the mind of the reader, both young and old. Approaching the creation story in Genesis from a more scientific standpoint is absolutely absurd IMO.

So the words are not the words of god?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 7:22:06 AM
At 6/17/2014 4:44:24 AM, Empiren wrote:
A: Yes if you are following the bible through a literal interpretation.

B: No if you are trying your hardest to be the best apologetic you can be.

This is according to the bible, according to reality.....

So are the words the words of god? You seem to be saying that the words can be contradictory. Can god make statements that are contradictory?
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 7:48:34 AM

The question is:

C: No clue what you are talking about.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 8:00:42 AM
At 6/17/2014 7:18:42 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 6/17/2014 4:06:32 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
No

So the words are not the words of god?

You're a repeater which is why this should be the last time I reply to you unless I see good reason to. All these are used in scripture... doesn't make them untrue.
http://www.debate.org...

http://examples.yourdictionary.com...