Jump to topic:

Fruits, Vegetables and Human Organs

Mineva
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 1:57:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This was something that in my mind for a long time actually and I'm reminded again yesterday after I read a news.

This topic is about similarities between fruits, vegetables and human organs. It is very interesting that fruits and vegetables are usually beneficial for the organs which having similar appearance.

For example;

Kiwi and eyes
Eggplant, avocado and uterus
Tomatoes, Pomegranate, Bunch of grapes and heart, blood cells
Walnut and brain
Bean and kidney
Chinese cabbage and bones
Fig and sperm
Potato and pancreas
Lemon, grapefruit and breast

etc ...

What do you think about these ? are these forced comparisons or are these just other coincidences have occurred during the evolution of human ? What is your opinion ? Thanks ...
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 2:19:35 PM
At 6/20/2014 1:57:44 AM, Mineva wrote:
This was something that in my mind for a long time actually and I'm reminded again yesterday after I read a news.

This topic is about similarities between fruits, vegetables and human organs. It is very interesting that fruits and vegetables are usually beneficial for the organs which having similar appearance.

For example;

Kiwi and eyes
Walnut and brain
Bean and kidney
Fig and sperm
Potato and pancreas

etc ...

What do you think about these ? are these forced comparisons or are these just other coincidences have occurred during the evolution of human ? What is your opinion ? Thanks ...

Creepy
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 2:27:45 PM
At 6/20/2014 2:19:35 PM, Hematite12 wrote:

For example;

Kiwi and eyes
Walnut and brain
Bean and kidney
Fig and sperm
Potato and pancreas

etc ...

Creepy

lol
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 3:32:08 PM

It is very interesting that fruits and vegetables are usually beneficial for the organs which having similar appearance.
are these forced comparisons or are these just other coincidences have occurred during the evolution of human ?

I do think there is a bit of stretching here, but the idea itself has a certain poetry- the natural world responding to the human form. I'll expect 99% of the similarity is sheer coincidence. However, I recognize that humans have domesticated and cultivated these plants for many generations and we are geared towards recognizing human forms and finding human forms beautiful, so some allowance for subliminal or even intentional cultivation should be made.
Mineva
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 4:44:59 PM
At 6/20/2014 3:32:08 PM, Oromagi wrote:

I do think there is a bit of stretching here, but the idea itself has a certain poetry- the :natural world responding to the human form. I'll expect 99% of the similarity is sheer :coincidence. However, I recognize that humans have domesticated and cultivated these :plants for many generations and we are geared towards recognizing human forms and :finding human forms beautiful, so some allowance for subliminal or even intentional :cultivation should be made.

So to summarize; there are two options according to you.

1) These are just subconscious mind games
2) Vegetables and fruits were raised in that way, similar with human organs.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 4:53:46 PM
It's human nature to create patterns where there are none.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 7:05:25 PM
At 6/23/2014 6:58:11 PM, Mineva wrote:
Up !

Any idea ?

AlbinoBunny got it right. Pattern matching can be very beneficial to survival. Noticing a pattern with people eating a certain berry, then dying might lead one to avoid eating such berries.

The problem is that human pattern matching is filled with false positives. And the list you've given is essentially that - a list of false positives for pattern matching. You're comparing the cross-section of a kiwi with a human eye. But in reality, only the iris of the eye. A pancreas looks nothing like a potato. You're falling back on things like "stick shaped", "bag shaped" or general color similarities. One could just as easily note that a liver looks like a goat-skin bag of chocolate pudding.

The whole process is akin to finding familiar shapes in the random shapes of clouds.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Mineva
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 7:31:06 PM
At 6/23/2014 7:05:25 PM, Beastt wrote:
AlbinoBunny got it right. Pattern matching can be very beneficial to survival. Noticing :a pattern with people eating a certain berry, then dying might lead one to avoid eating :such berries.
The problem is that human pattern matching is filled with false positives. And the list :you've given is essentially that - a list of false positives for pattern matching. You're :comparing the cross-section of a kiwi with a human eye. But in reality, only the iris of :the eye. A pancreas looks nothing like a potato. You're falling back on things like "stick :shaped", "bag shaped" or general color similarities. One could just as easily note that :a liver looks like a goat-skin bag of chocolate pudding.
The whole process is akin to finding familiar shapes in the random shapes of clouds.

Thank you.

Could you find some similar "false positives" in line with the story of this topic ?