Jump to topic:

C.S. Lewis Overrated

Sophisto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2014 11:01:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If the atheists, if our enemies are not impressed nor intimidated, why admire a mediocre apologist?

I say let atheism gain the higher ground. Maybe Jesus will panic and accidentally rescue the Church prematurely.
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 12:06:22 AM
At 6/21/2014 11:01:44 PM, Sophisto wrote:
If the atheists, if our enemies are not impressed nor intimidated, why admire a mediocre apologist?

I say let atheism gain the higher ground. Maybe Jesus will panic and accidentally rescue the Church prematurely.

Lol this and your profile made my day.

Good day, sir
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 12:15:34 AM

Why do you consider atheists to be your enemy?
LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 1:01:32 AM
First off, if you think Jesus will suddenly panic then you have not read or do not understand scripture. The only panic ever felt by Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane. Also, Jesus has never done something on accident. This is quite honestly an ignorant post. As for if this is a troll post, say so beforehand or it may be seen as ignorant.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 1:49:53 AM
At 6/22/2014 1:01:32 AM, LostintheEcho1498 wrote:
First off, if you think Jesus will suddenly panic then you have not read or do not understand scripture. The only panic ever felt by Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane. Also, Jesus has never done something on accident. This is quite honestly an ignorant post. As for if this is a troll post, say so beforehand or it may be seen as ignorant.

How do you know that jesus panicked in the Garden of Gethsemane?
LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 1:57:45 AM
Mark 14:32-42
New King James Version
The Prayer in the Garden

32 Then they came to a place which was named Gethsemane; and He said to His disciples, "Sit here while I pray." 33 And He took Peter, James, and John with Him, and He began to be troubled and deeply distressed. 34 Then He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch."

35 He went a little farther, and fell on the ground, and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him. 36 And He said, "Abba, Father, all things are possible for You. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will."

37 Then He came and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, "Simon, are you sleeping? Could you not watch one hour? 38 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

39 Again He went away and prayed, and spoke the same words. 40 And when He returned, He found them asleep again, for their eyes were heavy; and they did not know what to answer Him.

41 Then He came the third time and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? It is enough! The hour has come; behold, the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. 42 Rise, let us be going. See, My betrayer is at hand."
Also:
Luke 22:44 King James Bible
44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 2:06:00 AM
At 6/22/2014 1:57:45 AM, LostintheEcho1498 wrote:
New King James Version
The Prayer in the Garden

32 Then they came to a place which was named Gethsemane; and He said to His disciples, "Sit here while I pray." 33 And He took Peter, James, and John with Him, and He began to be troubled and deeply distressed. 34 Then He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch."

35 He went a little farther, and fell on the ground, and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him. 36 And He said, "Abba, Father, all things are possible for You. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will."

37 Then He came and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, "Simon, are you sleeping? Could you not watch one hour? 38 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

39 Again He went away and prayed, and spoke the same words. 40 And when He returned, He found them asleep again, for their eyes were heavy; and they did not know what to answer Him.

41 Then He came the third time and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? It is enough! The hour has come; behold, the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. 42 Rise, let us be going. See, My betrayer is at hand."
Also:
44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

Did you read the part where all the apostles were asleep? No one to record that stuff, so it's fiction.
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 2:13:22 AM
At 6/22/2014 2:06:00 AM, bulproof wrote:
New King James Version
The Prayer in the Garden

Also:

Did you read the part where all the apostles were asleep? No one to record that stuff, so it's fiction.

Did you forget the part that said the Bible is "given by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16)? So God inspired the Gospel writers to record their own slumber later on. Purely logical.
Let your words be the genuine picture of your heart- John Wesley
Money is a horrid thing to follow, but a charming thing to meet-Henry James
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 2:22:56 AM
New King James Version
The Prayer in the Garden

Also:

Everyone sees you as a troll, because of stuff right like this.

Any rational person could come up with a few reasons why your objection is completely meaningless.

1. God was there
2. It is an account of 3 hours worth. Clearly it is not a second by second recording.
3. When Jesus turns around the disciples don't pass out to sleep. They probably over heard at least the first few sentences of the prayer.
4. When Jesus returns 3 times he could convey to them what he was praying.
5. They are a group of people that in and out of sleep could among themselves reconstruct the first part of Jesus's prayer.

Your objection only holds water if people go to sleep like they are knocked on the head. Only if Jesus ONLY ever says what is written and nothing more. If human behavior is completely different in this scenario than it is in every other case.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 2:32:38 AM
At 6/22/2014 2:22:56 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
New King James Version
The Prayer in the Garden

Also:

Everyone sees you as a troll, because of stuff right like this.

Any rational person could come up with a few reasons why your objection is completely meaningless.

1. God was there
2. It is an account of 3 hours worth. Clearly it is not a second by second recording.
3. When Jesus turns around the disciples don't pass out to sleep. They probably over heard at least the first few sentences of the prayer.
4. When Jesus returns 3 times he could convey to them what he was praying.
5. They are a group of people that in and out of sleep could among themselves reconstruct the first part of Jesus's prayer.

Your objection only holds water if people go to sleep like they are knocked on the head. Only if Jesus ONLY ever says what is written and nothing more. If human behavior is completely different in this scenario than it is in every other case.

Do you want to make more excuses? Oh sorry apologetics, haha.
You know if the dog hadn't stopped for a crap we would have had rabbit for supper.
It may have been this and probably that and perhaps this happened.
Terribly convincing argument.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 2:36:58 AM

C S Lewis wrote some good fiction. I was unimpressed by what I have read of his non fiction, though. I thought I should respond in order to help you trick your god. Good luck with that. ;-p
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 2:50:54 AM
At 6/22/2014 2:13:22 AM, Ruckmanite wrote:
New King James Version
The Prayer in the Garden

Also:

Did you forget the part that said the Bible is "given by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16)? So God inspired the Gospel writers to record their own slumber later on. Purely logical.

That was allegedly said by some dude who never met jesus, yes? I'm wondering what would he know about it? The books being quoted weren't written when he allegedly made that claim, so who says he was talking about them?
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 2:53:45 AM

Oh, I assume from that insightful post that you ... clearly you have not read his works.

Curiously, we are supposed to be swayed by authors whose sole positive is an acerbic whit, even as hey openly cherry pick, mislead, and sometimes out right lie to slam religion? Hitchens? Dawkins?

I'd stack those guys against CS Lewis any day, the comparison, just in terms of honesty alone, would be compelling.
Sophisto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 12:49:36 PM
At 6/22/2014 2:53:45 AM, neutral wrote:

Oh, I assume from that insightful post that you ... clearly you have not read his works.

Curiously, we are supposed to be swayed by authors whose sole positive is an acerbic whit, even as hey openly cherry pick, mislead, and sometimes out right lie to slam religion? Hitchens? Dawkins?

I'd stack those guys against CS Lewis any day, the comparison, just in terms of honesty alone, would be compelling.

------------------------------
Honesty doesn't guarantee truth. Hitchens and Dawkins are overrated as well, especially since they're revered as 'prophets'. Non-prophet organization? Tacky.
Sophisto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 12:52:04 PM
First off, if you think Jesus will suddenly panic then you have not read or do not understand scripture. The only panic ever felt by Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane. Also, Jesus has never done something on accident. This is quite honestly an ignorant post. As for if this is a troll post, say so beforehand or it may be tseen as ignorant.
----------------------------------------

Trolling or not, if you think I'm going to take biblical instruction from corrupt mormons, stick to your own book...
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 1:31:17 PM

By that logic Dawkins is overrated. Don't jusge by the acceptance of the message, but by the reasoning behind the message.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 2:38:59 PM
At 6/22/2014 1:31:17 PM, TN05 wrote:

By that logic Dawkins is overrated. Don't jusge by the acceptance of the message, but by the reasoning behind the message.

Dawkins IS overrated though....
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 2:43:11 PM
At 6/22/2014 12:52:04 PM, Sophisto wrote:
First off, if you think Jesus will suddenly panic then you have not read or do not understand scripture. The only panic ever felt by Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane. Also, Jesus has never done something on accident. This is quite honestly an ignorant post. As for if this is a troll post, say so beforehand or it may be tseen as ignorant.
----------------------------------------

Trolling or not, if you think I'm going to take biblical instruction from corrupt mormons, stick to your own book...

I am truly sorry if you find Mormons corrupt. That kind of misinformation is the stuff that lead to the murder of innocent Mormon pioneer women and children. As for taking biblical instruction, don't take it from me. Go read it yourself.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:09:01 PM
At 6/22/2014 2:38:59 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/22/2014 1:31:17 PM, TN05 wrote:

Dawkins IS overrated though....

Not to his demographic (anti-theists).
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 1:07:32 AM
At 6/22/2014 2:50:54 AM, bulproof wrote:
New King James Version
The Prayer in the Garden

Also:

That was allegedly said by some dude who never met jesus, yes? I'm wondering what would he know about it? The books being quoted weren't written when he allegedly made that claim, so who says he was talking about them?

you didn't read a single word I wrote: God INSPIRED it, meaning that God remembers everything correctly and accurately for Paul to record.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 1:11:14 AM
At 6/23/2014 1:07:32 AM, Ruckmanite wrote:
New King James Version
The Prayer in the Garden

Also:

you didn't read a single word I wrote: God INSPIRED it, meaning that God remembers everything correctly and accurately for Paul to record.

Says who?
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 1:13:25 AM
At 6/23/2014 1:11:14 AM, bulproof wrote:
New King James Version
The Prayer in the Garden

Also:

Says who?

That's not the point. Were talking about the Bible with the assumption that we all believe God inspired it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 9:50:06 PM
At 6/23/2014 1:13:25 AM, Ruckmanite wrote:
At 6/23/2014 1:11:14 AM, bulproof wrote:
New King James Version
The Prayer in the Garden

Also:

Says who?

That's not the point. Were talking about the Bible with the assumption that we all believe God inspired it.

No! It is very much the point, the point that you are to afraid to address, as that is the road to hell.
The reason you think god inspired Paul to write his little stories is because Paul told you he did. Now that is some convincing evidence.
Why didn't god inspire Paul to write "the book that will be cannonized in 300yrs by a council is inspired of god"
Because his statement makes the gospel of Mary Magdalen inspired of god and all of the writings from that time.
Why did god inspire Martin Luther to reject some scripture that Paul declared inspired of god?