Jump to topic:

We know the Earth is flat because the Bible

TRUECRISTIAN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 5:47:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
We know the Earth is flat because the Bible tells us so. But for those of you skeptical, close-minded types that flat out refuse to accept the overwhelming Biblical evidence, I have designed some experiments you can do at home that will show you, before your very eyes, that the world is indeed flat, and not spherical as some crazy scientists proclaim. It's amazing how many people blindly believe in a spherical Earth, without ever having seen it for themselves! I intend to change that.

1) Jump!
Now, scientists claim that Earth is spherical and rotating at a speed of between 700-1000 miles per hour, depending on your latitude. This is a very high rate of speed. You can disprove this nonsense by simply jumping up as high as you can. Really, it's that simple. What happens when you jump? You come straight down to where you were. But, if the Earth were indeed spinning at such a fast speed, wouldn't you land hundreds of feet away?

If you were to stand in the flat bed of a truck going 75 mph, and jump straight up, what would happen? You wouldn't fall straight down. You would fall out of the truck. That's because trucks move, the Earth doesn't. This experiment proves the Earth is fixed in space and doesn't move.

2) Blow!
Since if the Earth is supposedly a sphere, it naturally comes to assume what would happen to people below the equator, like in Australia? Since they are underneath the sphere, wouldn't they fall off? This is where scientists come up with mumbo-jumbo like "gravity" and "centrifugal force" to explain away their theories. So, the scientists want you to think that because the earth is so much more massive than people or things, that people will naturally "stick" to the bottom of the earth because of gravity.

This can be disproved very simply. Get a balloon and inflate it as big as possible. It will be a spherical shape. Now, take a piece of paper and try to rip, tear, or cut the tiniest speck of paper possible. This paper represents a human being, much smaller in mass to the balloon, which represents the Earth. Now try and place the small piece of paper to the underside of the balloon. What happens? It falls off!

That's right. Even though the balloon is so much bigger in mass, it cannot hold the tiny paper. So if the Earth was a sphere, no one could live below the equator because they would fall off.

3) Get High!
Ok, this one you really can't do at home, but you can do it out in the world. Stand on the ground and look around you. What's the farthest you can see? Maybe it's a building, tree, or mountain. Now, find some place very close to it where you can get a much higher vantage point. (This also works if you're on a jet and about to take off.) Notice how in the higher place you can see much farther? You can see more of the world the higher you get. This shows the world is flat because the higher you go, the easier it is to see over obstacles. At the same time, it shows the world cannot be spherical. Because if the world was curved, the far distance would forever remain out of view because of the Earth's curvature. It would eternally be over the horizon.

If the Earth was a sphere, it would not matter how high you went, you would still see the same thing. Since this is not the case, the Earth is flat.

These experiments are all confirmed by creation scientists as being 100% accurate. If you're skeptical of the flat Earth, why don't you do these experiments so you can see truth with your own eyes.

Yours in Christ,
andymcstab
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 5:50:25 PM
Just another douchebag atheist emotionally obsessed with the idea that nothing created everything. How sad.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 6:05:20 PM
no chrisitan will come and say earth is flat and claiming that bible says that so yeah you are a troller good try...
Never fart near dog
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 6:08:36 PM
At 6/23/2014 5:50:25 PM, andymcstab wrote:
Just another douchebag atheist emotionally obsessed with the idea that nothing created everything. How sad.

While the O.P. is obviously (hopefull), not being sincere, he does make the point that people can construct arguments which can be compelling to the scientifically ignorant. You've also done that in your suggestion that atheists believe that "nothing created everything". You're praying on the ridiculous belief that at some point, nothing existed. People readily accept that simply because it's the default with which they've grown up. The reality, of course, is that nothing has ever been created.

1st Law of Thermodynamics, "The Law of Conservation of Energy", establishes that matter/energy can be neither created nor destroyed.

We know that matter/energy exists. There is more than ample evidence of that. And since it can't be created, would you mind telling us how it could ever have not existed? I'm an atheists and I don't believe that nothing created everything. I don't believe that anything has ever been created. Why would you believe you have the right to speak for me, and to completely misrepresent what I believe?

See? You're spreading a fallacy, just as the fallacies presented in the O.P. And I believe you suggested that people who do things like that are analogous to a feminine hygiene product. It looks like you need to juice yourself up with rotten grape juice and dihydrogen oxide as you've become a spreading infection.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
andymcstab
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 6:13:17 PM
At 6/23/2014 6:05:20 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
no chrisitan will come and say earth is flat and claiming that bible says that so yeah you are a troller good try...

Its funny how atheists are so much more obsessive than the religious, huh. Like, numerous atheists here have avatars and names made to diss God and the religious. Its so terribly boring..
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 6:17:36 PM

Actually, the Bible was written by people who thought the Earth was flat. Check out Isaiah 40:22, "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:"

Christians today will try to tell you that a "circle" is a sphere but this is untrue. The word "circle" means a flat round, two-dimensional shape with all points along the perimeter equidistant from the center. In Hebrew, the word "chwug" was used which means "circle". The Hebrew term for a ball or ball-shape is "dur" which is used elsewhere in the Bible, but not in Isaiah 40:22.

One can look further to the reference to the heavens as being stretched out and spread like a tent to dwell in. Tents are constructed to be erected on relatively flat ground, Try erecting a tent upon a sphere. It doesn't work.

So while Christians today admit that the Earth is an oblate spheroid, the authors of Isaiah clearly were not aware of the true configuration of Earth. If Christians adhered strictly to the Bible, they'd believe the Earth was flat.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 6:19:54 PM
At 6/23/2014 6:13:17 PM, andymcstab wrote:

Its funny how atheists are so much more obsessive than the religious, huh. Like, numerous atheists here have avatars and names made to diss God and the religious. Its so terribly boring..

Perhaps not so boring as theists who accept their own assumptions as absolute truth, even when they have no way to support their conclusions. For example; my name was given to me as a pet-name by a former girlfriend. And that was when I was still a theist.
andymcstab
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 6:22:52 PM
At 6/23/2014 6:08:36 PM, Beastt wrote:

While the O.P. is obviously (hopefull), not being sincere, he does make the point that people can construct arguments which can be compelling to the scientifically ignorant. You've also done that in your suggestion that atheists believe that "nothing created everything". You're praying on the ridiculous belief that at some point, nothing existed. People readily accept that simply because it's the default with which they've grown up. The reality, of course, is that nothing has ever been created.

1st Law of Thermodynamics, "The Law of Conservation of Energy", establishes that matter/energy can be neither created nor destroyed.

We know that matter/energy exists. There is more than ample evidence of that. And since it can't be created, would you mind telling us how it could ever have not existed? I'm an atheists and I don't believe that nothing created everything. I don't believe that anything has ever been created. Why would you believe you have the right to speak for me, and to completely misrepresent what I believe?

See? You're spreading a fallacy, just as the fallacies presented in the O.P. And I believe you suggested that people who do things like that are analogous to a feminine hygiene product. It looks like you need to juice yourself up with rotten grape juice and dihydrogen oxide as you've become a spreading infection.

Imagine blowing bubbles: Air inside a bubble cannot be created or destroyed without destroying the bubble, much in the same way that matter inside the universe cannot be, but we would recognise a microbe living inside a bubble is wrong to think his bubble existed forever, just because within it nothing is ever removed or added, from his terrifically flawed perspective.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 6:39:22 PM
At 6/23/2014 6:22:52 PM, andymcstab wrote:
At 6/23/2014 6:08:36 PM, Beastt wrote:

Imagine blowing bubbles: Air inside a bubble cannot be created or destroyed without destroying the bubble, much in the same way that matter inside the universe cannot be, but we would recognise a microbe living inside a bubble is wrong to think his bubble existed forever, just because within it nothing is ever removed or added, from his terrifically flawed perspective.
If you have evidence that the First Law of Thermodynamics is wrong, then present it. In fact, draw it up in a scientific paper and if you're correct, you'll be without competition for the next Nobel Prize. But since you don't (and we both know you don't), the best you can do is to imagine that an organism without a brain has an imagination... based on your imagination.

The First Law of Thermodynamics isn't a property of the universe. It's a property of matter/energy.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 6:48:01 PM
At 6/23/2014 6:17:36 PM, Beastt wrote:

Actually, the Bible was written by people who thought the Earth was flat. Check out Isaiah 40:22, "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:"

Christians today will try to tell you that a "circle" is a sphere but this is untrue. The word "circle" means a flat round, two-dimensional shape with all points along the perimeter equidistant from the center. In Hebrew, the word "chwug" was used which means "circle". The Hebrew term for a ball or ball-shape is "dur" which is used elsewhere in the Bible, but not in Isaiah 40:22.

One can look further to the reference to the heavens as being stretched out and spread like a tent to dwell in. Tents are constructed to be erected on relatively flat ground, Try erecting a tent upon a sphere. It doesn't work.

So while Christians today admit that the Earth is an oblate spheroid, the authors of Isaiah clearly were not aware of the true configuration of Earth. If Christians adhered strictly to the Bible, they'd believe the Earth was flat.

They said the four corners of the earth. So they not only thought the Earth was a circle. But they thought it was square with 4 corners.

How impossible is that, the writers of the bible thought earth was a square circle.

Or... or.. you could be wrong.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 6:57:34 PM
At 6/23/2014 6:48:01 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

They said the four corners of the earth. So they not only thought the Earth was a circle. But they thought it was square with 4 corners.

How impossible is that, the writers of the bible thought earth was a square circle.

Or... you could be assuming that there was only one author for all of the biblical texts, rather than remembering that there were several; some who thought the Earth was flat, some who thought it was square, and some who realized it is spherical.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 7:06:36 PM
At 6/23/2014 6:57:34 PM, Beastt wrote:

Or... you could be assuming that there was only one author for all of the biblical texts, rather than remembering that there were several; some who thought the Earth was flat, some who thought it was square, and some who realized it is spherical.

Or this circle reference, like calling inhabitants of earth like grasshoppers, is part of the imagery of a round tent.

And others are using the imagery of a square tent.
TRUECRISTIAN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 7:15:04 PM

Are you saved? The reason I ask is because you seem to be very ignorant. So that leads me to believe that you really have no understanding of the Lord. To someone who believes the Lord well enough to tell you about the free gift you can receive, called SALVATION. Salvation is the only way you will enter the kingdom of heaven. You have to believe with all your heart that God sacrificed his only begotten Son Jesus Christ for all our sins. You also must believe that Jesus died on the cross, was buried and resurrected in 3 days. I will pray for you that you allow yourself this gift and become a true Christian in the army of the Lord. If you choose to remain ignorant lost soul, enjoy your life in hell.
andymcstab
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 7:23:49 PM
At 6/23/2014 7:15:04 PM, TRUECRISTIAN wrote:

Are you saved? The reason I ask is because you seem to be very ignorant. So that leads me to believe that you really have no understanding of the Lord. To someone who believes the Lord well enough to tell you about the free gift you can receive, called SALVATION. Salvation is the only way you will enter the kingdom of heaven. You have to believe with all your heart that God sacrificed his only begotten Son Jesus Christ for all our sins. You also must believe that Jesus died on the cross, was buried and resurrected in 3 days. I will pray for you that you allow yourself this gift and become a true Christian in the army of the Lord. If you choose to remain ignorant lost soul, enjoy your life in hell.

Go away, straw-man promulgating freak.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 7:28:22 PM

im muslim buddy.
Never fart near dog
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 8:11:01 PM
At 6/23/2014 7:28:22 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

im muslim buddy.

Andy is only one step down from the borderline insanity of neutered and fatihah.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 8:28:31 PM
I advise challenging him to a debate, or moving on.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 9:06:33 PM
At 6/23/2014 8:11:01 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 6/23/2014 7:28:22 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

im muslim buddy.

Andy is only one step down from the borderline insanity of neutered and fatihah.

xD
Never fart near dog
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 10:30:59 PM

I'm trying to understand this. So according to you we should take the word circle as meaning a flat earth, does this mean the inhabitants of earth are grasshoppers because those are the words that follow circle?

In Isaiah 29:3 the word you mentioned for ball is also used. "And I will camp against thee round about, and will lay siege against thee with a mount, and I will raise forts against thee." But instead of round it should be ball!

The army was going to place soldiers in the sky like a sphere around the city. Amazing.

This whole time I was thinking "dur" meant "around" or "round shape"

And "hug", the way it is used in other verses, I thought meant an inscribed circle or something drawn with a compass.

I thought this, because that is how the word is used in Hebrew. But I certainly see why you don't accept the bible if it says soldiers were stationed like a ball around a city, or that humans are grasshoppers, or that the circle is a flat shape and so the earth is flat.
debateuser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 10:51:11 PM
At 6/23/2014 10:30:59 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

I'm trying to understand this. So according to you we should take the word circle as meaning a flat earth, does this mean the inhabitants of earth are grasshoppers because those are the words that follow circle?

In Isaiah 29:3 the word you mentioned for ball is also used. "And I will camp against thee round about, and will lay siege against thee with a mount, and I will raise forts against thee." But instead of round it should be ball!

The army was going to place soldiers in the sky like a sphere around the city. Amazing.

And "hug", the way it is used in other verses, I thought meant an inscribed circle or something drawn with a compass.

I thought this, because that is how the word is used in Hebrew. But I certainly see why you don't accept the bible if it says soldiers were stationed like a ball around a city, or that humans are grasshoppers, or that the circle is a flat shape and so the earth is flat.

Isaiah 40:22 says that God "sits above the circle of the Earth". The word for "circle" is the Hebrew word for "compass". A compass is a flat circle.

In Isaiah 40:22 the author uses "Chuwg" when referring to
the shape of the Earth. Therefore the author is referring to
a FLAT circle.

Isaiah 40:22 Hebrew english
http://biblehub.com...

Moreover the author of Isaiah knew the word "Duwr". Here
is Isaiah 22:18 "He will roll you up tightly like a ball".
In this passage the word "ball" is "duwr" in the original
Hebrew text. So the author of Isaiah was familiar with
the most commonly used word for sphere.

Isaiah 22:18 Hebrew english
http://biblehub.com...

More explanation is given below

https://www.lhup.edu...

Bible references:
http://mobile.biblegateway.com...

http://mobile.biblegateway.com...
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 10:58:21 PM

It says "as grasshoppers", obviously a simile. Stop twisting the quote. It doesn't use that same wording for "circle".

neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 1:31:17 AM
At 6/23/2014 6:19:54 PM, Beastt wrote:

Perhaps not so boring as theists who accept their own assumptions as absolute truth, even when they have no way to support their conclusions. For example; my name was given to me as a pet-name by a former girlfriend. And that was when I was still a theist.

Really? You mean accept them so blindly that they would openly mock people in a rabid display of trolling? Which is clearly on evidence here by an atheist? Like that?

If you think tat kind of thinking is wrong, kindly point it out to the one actually doing it rather than claiming Larry in Inner Mongolia MIGHT do it some day so it all good ... to avoid what is clearly on display.

It seems you atheists have little else to do with your lives than bash religious people, and then get pissy when people, whose hackles you raise deliberately, fire back.

The OP's behavior is nothing but an invitation to start a fight, and atheists, once you do so, it no one's fault but yours.

It is PRECISELY the ind of behavior in the OP, coupled with its ready rationalization and enabling of abuse that has lead the atheist community to have such a poor reputation in the wider world.

http://www.examiner.com...

Not all atheists do this, but allowing your members to continue to behave like this what earns the reputation. I have little doubt that if a Christian posed as an atheist to make ridiculous claims, seeking deliberately to mock and start fight (its called trolling and flame bait) that atheists would rush to the moderation team and demand action.

Yet reversed? Atheists can see no problem.

There seems to be something about atheism that eliminates common sense and simple civility these days, and, over time, we reap what we sew.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 1:39:18 AM
At 6/24/2014 1:31:17 AM, neutral wrote:

Really? You mean accept them so blindly that they would openly mock people in a rabid display of trolling? Which is clearly on evidence here by an atheist? Like that?

If you think tat kind of thinking is wrong, kindly point it out to the one actually doing it rather than claiming Larry in Inner Mongolia MIGHT do it some day so it all good ... to avoid what is clearly on display.

It seems you atheists have little else to do with your lives than bash religious people, and then get pissy when people, whose hackles you raise deliberately, fire back.

The OP's behavior is nothing but an invitation to start a fight, and atheists, once you do so, it no one's fault but yours.

It is PRECISELY the ind of behavior in the OP, coupled with its ready rationalization and enabling of abuse that has lead the atheist community to have such a poor reputation in the wider world.

Not all atheists do this, but allowing your members to continue to behave like this what earns the reputation. I have little doubt that if a Christian posed as an atheist to make ridiculous claims, seeking deliberately to mock and start fight (its called trolling and flame bait) that atheists would rush to the moderation team and demand action.

There seems to be something about atheism that eliminates common sense and simple civility these days, and, over time, we reap what we sew.

Very civil.
Atheist=non belief in gods.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 1:45:37 AM
At 6/24/2014 1:39:18 AM, bulproof wrote:

Very civil.

Atheism = the active and petty denial of what the OP clearly is.

And its not like its hard to see this atheist all OVER THE FORUM saying ALL KINDS of different things while fully embracing a rabid and bigoted form of anti-theism, which we see in a petty dismissal of deliberate provocation as if HE'S the victim in this thread.

Atheism like this is just not rational. You cannot reason with the deliberately unreasonable. We'll throw boulders at you guys, but if a pebble hits us back we will fall to the ground in abject misery, cry our eyes out, and demand that the God we don't even believe in enact immediate revenge ... and when God does not? Well, that's why atheists really don;t believe in God you see?

MODS HELP HELP A PEBBEL!!!! MODS? MOM? ANYONE!!! THERE IS NO GOD!!!!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 2:23:07 AM
At 6/24/2014 1:45:37 AM, neutral wrote:

Very civil.

And its not like its hard to see this atheist all OVER THE FORUM saying ALL KINDS of different things while fully embracing a rabid and bigoted form of anti-theism, which we see in a petty dismissal of deliberate provocation as if HE'S the victim in this thread.

Atheism like this is just not rational. You cannot reason with the deliberately unreasonable. We'll throw boulders at you guys, but if a pebble hits us back we will fall to the ground in abject misery, cry our eyes out, and demand that the God we don't even believe in enact immediate revenge ... and when God does not? Well, that's why atheists really don;t believe in God you see?

Does anyone understand this, I mean it's funny like slapstick but oh well.
Nursy up the meds.
debateuser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 3:01:49 AM

It is saying "as grasshoppers", for humans only . Stop corrupting the verses It doesn't use that same wording for "circle".
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 3:59:02 AM
At 6/24/2014 2:23:07 AM, bulproof wrote:

Very civil.

Nursy up the meds.

So we begin a flame bait thread - obvious trolling. And when people, theists, reject the idea of flame biat - atheists just trear in anyway.

The idea that atheism is rational is detroyed by these types of thread.

It revealed for what it actually is: A bunch of vicious, close minded, young white boys, who only want to attack and deride people and whome are incapable of listening in favor of twisting anything into ignorant strawmen to further attack people.

To the atheists who are not this way? Why do you let the worst among you hijack the message?

You cannot reason with the unreasonable, and thread like this prove the futility of trying to discuss religion with most atheists these day, who are nothing but rabid anti-theists seeking to abuse people.

Indeed, why are most of the atheists even in the religion section? Its not like the quality of the discussion added by atheists is helpful or facilitive of actual discussion - which this thread aptly proves.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 5:24:36 AM
At 6/24/2014 3:59:02 AM, neutral wrote:

Very civil.

Nursy up the meds.

So we begin a flame bait thread - obvious trolling. And when people, theists, reject the idea of flame biat - atheists just trear in anyway.

It revealed for what it actually is: A bunch of vicious, close minded, young white boys, who only want to attack and deride people and whome are incapable of listening in favor of twisting anything into ignorant strawmen to further attack people.

To the atheists who are not this way? Why do you let the worst among you hijack the message?

You cannot reason with the unreasonable, and thread like this prove the futility of trying to discuss religion with most atheists these day, who are nothing but rabid anti-theists seeking to abuse people.

Indeed, why are most of the atheists even in the religion section? Its not like the quality of the discussion added by atheists is helpful or facilitive of actual discussion - which this thread aptly proves.

I wonder how many times you've been told what atheism is and yet you still don't get it.
Now look in the mirror and say this very loudly.
You cannot reason with the unreasonable,
andymcstab
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 5:37:07 AM
At 6/24/2014 1:31:17 AM, neutral wrote:

That something is that they're run by rabid satanists.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 5:40:27 AM
At 6/24/2014 5:24:36 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 6/24/2014 3:59:02 AM, neutral wrote:

Very civil.

Nursy up the meds.

I wonder how many times you've been told what atheism is and yet you still don't get it.
Now look in the mirror and say this very loudly.
You cannot reason with the unreasonable,

I wonder how many times you have made posts that clearly say more than that about atheism and its dislike of religion? Rabid dislike of religion? Irrational dislike orf religion? The inability to see it as it is so you can crap on it dislike of religion?

I'll wager its somewhere around 5,900 on this forum alone.

Just going with whatever pops into that little head of yours rather than EVER making a case? Hang a sign - "I will disagree with anything a religious person says for whatever reason pops into my head!"