Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Atheists, could you take this quiz?

lifemeansevolutionisgood
Posts: 551
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 6:43:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/24/2014 6:31:51 PM, GOP wrote:
http://www.proofthatgodexists.org...

Let me know what you think.

Extremely flawed quiz.
1. Absolute truths, not talking about absolute morals, can exist without a god. It is an absolute truth that I posted this.
2. Saying "I don't know if Absolute truths exist" gives the options truth or false, but saying truth is not saying it is absolutely true as an absolute truth requires it to be true for everyone at every time.
3. There are many other flaws, but instead of listing them I will give links where many of the flaws have been pointed out. http://rationalwiki.org...'Proof_That_God_Exists'
http://skeptico.blogs.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 6:47:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/24/2014 6:31:51 PM, GOP wrote:
http://www.proofthatgodexists.org...

Let me know what you think.

I lost the quiz because I eat babies and am obsessed with the idea that everything comes from nothing
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 7:51:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Still shaking my head.

The quiz is just another example of the apologist nonsense tactic of using language as a means of smuggling in the very ideas that they are supposedly proving. For example, it asks the readers if they believe logic exists but phrases it as a simple question of whether they agree with basic logical principles. Naturally, any reasonable person would have to say yes. Then it claims that in order for logic to exist (as some existent entity), it must be immaterial, etc...

No one was saying it exists is that manner. The idea that it does is something that must be demonstrated or at the very least, made clear when asking the question and not phrasing the question as "do you agree with this logical principle?".
dvande28
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 9:17:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If God does not exist, the nonexistence of a God would be an absolute truth.

Therefore absolute truth can exist without God.
BradK
Posts: 475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 9:47:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/24/2014 6:31:51 PM, GOP wrote:
http://www.proofthatgodexists.org...

Let me know what you think.

I don't think it qualifies as proof. It kinda skipped over the whole "what is god" thing. It would have been absolutely necessary for god to be defined before the quiz was taken, otherwise it's just another case of "conclusion decided on before going through the reasoning".

If God is just another word for "logic", then I guess logic... exists. I'd choose a more reasonable phrasing like "logic is a tool that we can use".
numberwang
Posts: 1,917
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 9:55:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/24/2014 6:31:51 PM, GOP wrote:
http://www.proofthatgodexists.org...

Let me know what you think.

I missed the part where this proved god exists, lol.

How did it jump from, "you acknowledge that absolute truth exists" to "God must exist if truth exists"?

And where was the proof?

"Arguing against God's existence would be on par with arguing against the existence of air, breathing it all the while."

How does that prove anything? The "proof" just says "God exists, so you're wrong, lol". What a crappy site.
Hematite12
Posts: 400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 10:03:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/24/2014 9:17:54 PM, dvande28 wrote:
If God does not exist, the nonexistence of a God would be an absolute truth.

Therefore absolute truth can exist without God.

^ This.
Bannanawamajama
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 10:12:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I didn't care for this quiz, because in the end none of my answers mattered. It ends with:

"Truth, knowledge, and logic are necessary to prove ANYTHING and cannot be made sense of apart from God. Therefore...

The Proof that God exists is that without Him you couldn't prove anything."

But it really didn't make the jump to why that is. It started with that I believe absolute truth must be an abstract thing, and then jumped to that with no middle to explain the relationship. Then on the next page it asked if I believe in God, and if you say no, it tells you you are lying and to try again.

If you are telling me what my response is supposed to be and then responding to that, I'm not really a part of the conversation am I?
Bannanawamajama
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 10:14:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Also, if you say you DO believe a God exists after the proof, the next page immediately goes to this:

"God is a personal being (not an impersonal force). God is immaterial, omnipresent (everywhere), omniscient (all knowing), omnipotent (all powerful), omnibenevolent (all good), immutable (unchanging), sovereign (supreme in authority), free, perfect, and eternal (without beginning or end). As the creator and sustainer of the universe it is understandable that there are some characteristics of God that are beyond our ability to comprehend. For instance God is one divine being in three distinct persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Each are equally and eternally the one true God.

God reveals His characteristics to us through 'general,' or 'natural' revelation, and through 'special revelation.' God's general revelation includes what He has revealed to us through His creation in nature and in our God given conscience. Special revelation on the other hand is what God has revealed to us through supernatural means including His Son Jesus Christ, His Spirit, and His Word the Bible."

Even though the quiz never mentioned ANY of that stuff.
bebil10
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2014 11:07:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Sye Ten Bruggencate is a joke. This website is terrible and childish. The problem he faces is that at the end of the day he can't know anything for certain either. He can assert it all he wants, but how does he know his assertion is true.
Drayson
Posts: 288
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 7:35:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
An absolute load of nonsense

I end up with:

"The Proof that God exists is that without Him you couldn't prove anything."

Er....that's not proof, that's simply a straight up assertion.

Oh, and then it goes on to basically tell me that "not believing in God" is not an available option. Basically it's saying "nope, you're wrong....you DO believe, you just think you don't"

Sorry, but that's something a crazy person would say.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley