Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

other fans of Slavoj Zizek?

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 10:06:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I enjoy Slavoj Zizek in just about every respect. I was wondering whether any atheist have read or watched him debate. He is a celebrity of sorts, if intellectuals can really reach that status; you find headlines in magazines like "Elvis of cultural theory" or the "most dangerous philosopher in the western world." He is always right up there with Chomsky and Dawkins on Foreign Policy magazines top global intellectuals. I am curious whether atheist like what seems to me like a more intellectually appealing step in the religious debate. Anyway, if you like Hegel, Lacan, Marx or entertaining debates at prestigious institutions where the speaker makes incredibly dirty and vulgar jokes that provide insight into the nature of society, you will like Zizek. Here is his take on the Book of Job:
"Contrary to the usual notion of Job, he is NOT a patient sufferer, enduring his ordeal with the firm faith in God"on the contrary, he complains all the time, rejecting his fate (like Oedipus at Colonus, who is also usually misperceived as a patient victim resigned to his fate). When the three theologians-friends visit him, their line of argumentation is the standard ideological sophistry (if you suffer, it is by definition that you MUST HAVE done something wrong, since God is just). However, their argumentation is not limited to the claim that Job must be somehow guilty: what is at stake at a more radical level is the meaning(lessness) of Job's suffering. Like Oedipus at Colonus, Job insists on the utter MEANINGLESSNESS of his suffering"as the title of Job 27 says: "Job Maintains His Integrity." As such, the Book of Job provides what is perhaps the first exemplary case of the critique of ideology in the human history, laying bare the basic discursive strategies of legitimizing suffering: Job's properly ethical dignity resides in the way he persistently detects the notion that his suffering can have any meaning, either punishment for his past sins or the trial of his faith, against the three theologians who bombard him with possible meanings"and, surprisingly, God takes his side at the end, claiming that every word that Job spoke was true, while every word of the three theologians was false."
There are some talks on YouTube where he elaborates Job should be read as an instance of God"s momentary atheism and acceptance of meaninglessness in the Universe.