Jump to topic:

Yes, there is a way...

dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 4:45:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
...to prove if the young-Earth theory is correct. However, we would not be able to do it now, or maybe anytime in the future. The key to unlocking this is we simply have to go far enough out into space (7,000 light years would do it), and see if Earth's light is visible. If it is not (assuming nothing goes wrong,) the light has not traveled far enough for us to see... meaning it is less than 7,000 years old.

To do this, of course, we would need to travel roughly the speed of light, which is, so far, impossible. Then, we would need to wait over 70 centuries before we know the answer. Plus, add the radio signals back, it would be 140 years.

However, we do already know that the universe is WELL over a billion years old (via telescopes that can see light that is billions of years old), so until we can either prove or disprove Earth is young, we must continue to ask questions such as:

"Could Earth's "invisibility" (the light is too young) to other life forces be why we have not been contacted yet?

"Why (if He exists) did God make the universe billions of years old, and Earth only 7,000?

...and so on. We must make significant scientific advancements to be able to truthfully answer this question. Seeing we are close to being able to see light as old as the age of the universe, I'd say this should be next on our astronomy list. However, we must keep interest in knowing the truth alive for us to want to know the truth. To do that, we must keep religion afloat.

Bottom line is, science and religion must co-exist for us to find out the real truth once and for all.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 4:48:07 PM
At 6/29/2014 4:45:47 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
...to prove if the young-Earth theory is correct. However, we would not be able to do it now, or maybe anytime in the future. The key to unlocking this is we simply have to go far enough out into space (7,000 light years would do it), and see if Earth's light is visible. If it is not (assuming nothing goes wrong,) the light has not traveled far enough for us to see... meaning it is less than 7,000 years old.

To do this, of course, we would need to travel roughly the speed of light, which is, so far, impossible. Then, we would need to wait over 70 centuries before we know the answer. Plus, add the radio signals back, it would be 140 years.

However, we do already know that the universe is WELL over a billion years old (via telescopes that can see light that is billions of years old), so until we can either prove or disprove Earth is young, we must continue to ask questions such as:

"Could Earth's "invisibility" (the light is too young) to other life forces be why we have not been contacted yet?

"Why (if He exists) did God make the universe billions of years old, and Earth only 7,000?

...and so on. We must make significant scientific advancements to be able to truthfully answer this question. Seeing we are close to being able to see light as old as the age of the universe, I'd say this should be next on our astronomy list. However, we must keep interest in knowing the truth alive for us to want to know the truth. To do that, we must keep religion afloat.

Bottom line is, science and religion must co-exist for us to find out the real truth once and for all.

Well we can see light greater than 7,000 light years from Earth right now from other stars... So that's already debunked YEC...
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 4:49:18 PM
At 6/29/2014 4:48:07 PM, Envisage wrote:

Well we can see light greater than 7,000 light years from Earth right now from other stars... So that's already debunked YEC...

Proves the age of the universe, but even a brain-dead monkey knows religious people will argue that Earth isn't the same age as the universe.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 4:50:37 PM
At 6/29/2014 4:49:18 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Proves the age of the universe, but even a brain-dead monkey knows religious people will argue that Earth isn't the same age as the universe.

That's right... The earth was created before the universe what was I thinking.

That extra day makes all the difference!
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 4:53:41 PM
At 6/29/2014 4:50:37 PM, Envisage wrote:

Yeah, the fact we can see the 2.8 million light year away Andromeda Galaxy disproves Creationism if the Earth was created before the rest of the universe. Since humans did not know what in the hell stars were and that everything takes time to meet the eye (light), it suggests the Bible is man-made. But, still, creationists might argue that Earth was created AFTER the universe... traveling away from the Earth is the only way to be sure. But your statement seems waterproof (to me, at least.)
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 5:02:34 PM
At 6/29/2014 4:53:41 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Yeah, the fact we can see the 2.8 million light year away Andromeda Galaxy disproves Creationism if the Earth was created before the rest of the universe. Since humans did not know what in the hell stars were and that everything takes time to meet the eye (light), it suggests the Bible is man-made. But, still, creationists might argue that Earth was created AFTER the universe... traveling away from the Earth is the only way to be sure. But your statement seems waterproof (to me, at least.)

*shrugs shoulders*
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 5:38:40 PM

You would have to travel faster than the speed of light to get to a position before light of the earth could reach it. Not to mention that earth does not emit light and it would be very hard to pick it out of the background light and radiation.

Consensus says the universe is 13.7 billions years old.
around 5 billion years old the universe's expansion began to accelerate
around 4.7 billion years the earth was created.
around 5 billion years from now the sun will use all it's fuel up

It is extremely hard to see a planet the size of earth around the kind of sun we have.

Probably because the precious metals and other heavy elements are formed in other suns.

dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 7:07:39 PM
At 6/29/2014 5:38:40 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

You would have to travel faster than the speed of light to get to a position before light of the earth could reach it. Not to mention that earth does not emit light and it would be very hard to pick it out of the background light and radiation.

Reflects light, though. Again, we need further advancements in science to be able to pick out a planet as small as Earth around millions of other things. Completely correct, though, it would be nearly impossible to pick out. Also, we've discovered numerous other planets from our telescopes, so Earth could be findable.

It is extremely hard to see a planet the size of earth around the kind of sun we have.

Again, we can see other planets thru telescopes, so it is reasonable to think that with further advancements in science, we could be able to see Earth from a distance.

Probably because the precious metals and other heavy elements are formed in other suns.

So? He made the universe in a day...

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 8:08:29 PM
At 6/29/2014 5:38:40 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

I snickered at this. I'm sure an omnipotent god could come up with the precious metals and other heavy elements without the need for stars, but what do I know. :-)

This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 9:28:09 PM
The key to unlocking this is we simply have to go far enough out into space (7,000 light years would do it), and see if Earth's light is visible. If it is not (assuming nothing goes wrong,) the light has not traveled far enough for us to see... meaning it is less than 7,000 years old.

Just to help you out with some basic physics before you begin working on your time machine/warp drive:

If you traveled "roughly" the speed of light you would never arrive at any point before the light you are chasing. And once you get your warp drive working, even if you travel twice the speed of light it will take you twice as long as that light has been traveling to overtake it... meaning you would need to wait 140 centuries before you knew the answer and 280 centuries before your results could be beamed back to Earth.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 11:21:21 AM

So do you suggest we send all creationists 7,000light years away? Ya got my vote and I suggest we do it with today's technology. They don't believe in technology anyway and who cares if they make it or not.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 12:22:26 PM
At 6/29/2014 9:28:09 PM, Floid wrote:
The key to unlocking this is we simply have to go far enough out into space (7,000 light years would do it), and see if Earth's light is visible. If it is not (assuming nothing goes wrong,) the light has not traveled far enough for us to see... meaning it is less than 7,000 years old.

Just to help you out with some basic physics before you begin working on your time machine/warp drive:

If you traveled "roughly" the speed of light you would never arrive at any point before the light you are chasing. And once you get your warp drive working, even if you travel twice the speed of light it will take you twice as long as that light has been traveling to overtake it... meaning you would need to wait 140 centuries before you knew the answer and 280 centuries before your results could be beamed back to Earth.

Good point and that does not take into account the possible expansion of space time. We need a good ol' fashion worm hole short cut for this experiment.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 12:34:40 PM

The fundamental reason why a YEC would not accept this argument or even positive result from your proposed experiment, is that God can do anything, including create a universe that appears to be older than it really is. To them fossils dating back a million of years are the work of Lucifer.

They tend to be Christian fundamentalists who believe people are chosen by God for redemption. Few are chosen and for those of us who are not, we are screwed. It fits well to why God would not create a 10,000 old world which appears 10,000 years old.

In fact YEC becomes a mandatory belief when one chooses the only interpretation of the bible is a literal one (as far as that can be managed). To not believe in a YE challenges a basic assumption that all their other believes are predicated upon, so it becomes a belief that must be protected at all costs.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 1:05:08 AM
At 6/30/2014 11:21:21 AM, bulproof wrote:

So do you suggest we send all creationists 7,000light years away? Ya got my vote and I suggest we do it with today's technology. They don't believe in technology anyway and who cares if they make it or not.

Oh, you never fail to amuse me... Lets start a petition!