Jump to topic:

Christianity, Patriotism, and Soldier Worship

SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 4:01:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why is it that Christians in the US tend to be the loudest and proudest patriots? I imagine the Jesus from the Bible would discourage celebrating a capatalistic society. I don't think he would approve of solving any problems with a military either. I feel like Christians should be against all wars and encourage people to not enlist in the military. They should support social programs like universal healthcare and should want to help any immigrants whose lives were so bad that they gave up everything to cross the boarder illegally into the US. Why is everything so backwards? It seems like Christians in the US come with all of the crazy and none of the benefits. What are your thoughts on this? I'd love to hear from anyone this applies to.

Note: I'm generalizing. I know this doesn't apply to all US Christians. Oh, and I'm not saying the Jesus from the Bible exists; I'm saying "if he did exist, blah blah blah."
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 4:47:20 PM
At 6/30/2014 4:01:18 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
Why is it that Christians in the US tend to be the loudest and proudest patriots? I imagine the Jesus from the Bible would discourage celebrating a capatalistic society. I don't think he would approve of solving any problems with a military either. I feel like Christians should be against all wars and encourage people to not enlist in the military. They should support social programs like universal healthcare and should want to help any immigrants whose lives were so bad that they gave up everything to cross the boarder illegally into the US. Why is everything so backwards? It seems like Christians in the US come with all of the crazy and none of the benefits. What are your thoughts on this? I'd love to hear from anyone this applies to.

Note: I'm generalizing. I know this doesn't apply to all US Christians. Oh, and I'm not saying the Jesus from the Bible exists; I'm saying "if he did exist, blah blah blah."

You are generalizing too much. Christians are citizens of two governments: one an inward, spiritual kingdom with Jesus Christ as the head, the king - and the other is the civil state. We own allegiance, in the civil arena, to the government, even when decisions by those in the government run contrary to Christian doctrines.

Why should we support "universal healthcare"? In fact, what does "support universal healthcare" even mean? What does "help immigrants" mean?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 5:06:41 PM

Maybe because the reason they are Christian (not every Christian though) is because they have primitive tribal biases. The same biases that cause someone to be more war like with other nations.
SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 6:24:18 PM
At 6/30/2014 4:47:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
Why is it that Christians in the US tend to be the loudest and proudest patriots? I imagine the Jesus from the Bible would discourage celebrating a capitalistic society. I don't think he would approve of solving any problems with a military either. I feel like Christians should be against all wars and encourage people to not enlist in the military. They should support social programs like universal healthcare and should want to help any immigrants whose lives were so bad that they gave up everything to cross the boarder illegally into the US. Why is everything so backwards? It seems like Christians in the US come with all of the crazy and none of the benefits. What are your thoughts on this? I'd love to hear from anyone this applies to.

You are generalizing too much. Christians are citizens of two governments: one an inward, spiritual kingdom with Jesus Christ as the head, the king - and the other is the civil state. We own allegiance, in the civil arena, to the government, even when decisions by those in the government run contrary to Christian doctrines.

I'm generalizing from my experience. Why wouldn't you want your government to act as your religion wants you to? You don't have to accept laws that contradict your beliefs; you can try to change them.

Why should we support "universal healthcare"? In fact, what does "support universal healthcare" even mean?

I mean support the idea and practice of it, whether it's inwardly or outwardly. I'm sure the Jesus of the bible would be pro-universal healthcare.

What does "help immigrants" mean?

Well, what I meant in the context it was in was basically to help those who are less fortunate. I used illegal immigrants as an example because quite a few religious people are unsympathetic and even hostile towards that group. The golden rule is mentioned often in the Bible.

Btw, I'm not a liberal with some agenda. I'm not even a liberal. I just think Christians are hypocrites in these areas.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 6:47:32 PM
At 6/30/2014 6:24:18 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
At 6/30/2014 4:47:20 PM, annanicole wrote:
Why is it that Christians in the US tend to be the loudest and proudest patriots? I imagine the Jesus from the Bible would discourage celebrating a capitalistic society. I don't think he would approve of solving any problems with a military either. I feel like Christians should be against all wars and encourage people to not enlist in the military. They should support social programs like universal healthcare and should want to help any immigrants whose lives were so bad that they gave up everything to cross the boarder illegally into the US. Why is everything so backwards? It seems like Christians in the US come with all of the crazy and none of the benefits. What are your thoughts on this? I'd love to hear from anyone this applies to.

I'm generalizing from my experience. Why wouldn't you want your government to act as your religion wants you to?

My religion requires me to worship on the first day of the week. But it is against my religion for the government to demand that we worship on the first day of the week.

Why should we support "universal healthcare"? In fact, what does "support universal healthcare" even mean?

I mean support the idea and practice of it, whether it's inwardly or outwardly. I'm sure the Jesus of the bible would be pro-universal healthcare.

If it were free, yes

What does "help immigrants" mean?

Well, what I meant in the context it was in was basically to help those who are less fortunate. I used illegal immigrants as an example because quite a few religious people are unsympathetic and even hostile towards that group. The golden rule is mentioned often in the Bible.

Well, Christians are not required to give away their country, although they would be required to help those in need in their own country. I mean, I know there are homeless people. I guess I could give away my house to one of them.

Btw, I'm not a liberal with some agenda. I'm not even a liberal. I just think Christians are hypocrites in these areas.

Don't get me wrong. I'm in favor of you giving away whatever you feel comfortable giving away. That's your right. It's not the job of the government to handle it, though.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 8:37:52 PM

Your profile picture makes you look like a much less crazy person than those evil Christians.
SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 8:47:48 PM
At 6/30/2014 8:37:52 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

Your profile picture makes you look like a much less crazy person than those evil Christians.

You're saying "evil Christians" as if I said that. I never did. Also, it seems like you're being sarcastic and I can't tell why because nothing about my picture makes me look crazy. I'm in the Louvre taking a picture of myself and the Mona Lisa.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 10:55:14 PM

I'm tempted to suggest that Einstein may have had your answer; - "He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice. " -- Albert Einstein

Christians are people - sometimes quite intelligent - who tend to demonstrate very poor critical thinking skills. They accept the defaults handed to them, then defend them to the death even when contrary defaults are encountered. They march into battle, crucifix proudly hanging from their neck and seek to "kill the evil" rather than "loving their neighbors" as themselves and "turning the other cheek". The Bible is very handy for supporting nearly any issue you wish to raise. It takes both sides on almost every issue. So Christians march proudly into war as they always have - violate the majority of what is suggested in the New Testament - defending their freedom from dictatorships and evil leaders, while promoting their evil, dictatorial, tyrant God who promotes slavery, genocide and rape.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 11:30:31 PM
At 6/30/2014 10:55:14 PM, Beastt wrote:

I'm tempted to suggest that Einstein may have had your answer; - "He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice. " -- Albert Einstein

Christians are people - sometimes quite intelligent - who tend to demonstrate very poor critical thinking skills. They accept the defaults handed to them, then defend them to the death even when contrary defaults are encountered. They march into battle, crucifix proudly hanging from their neck and seek to "kill the evil" rather than "loving their neighbors" as themselves and "turning the other cheek". The Bible is very handy for supporting nearly any issue you wish to raise. It takes both sides on almost every issue. So Christians march proudly into war as they always have - violate the majority of what is suggested in the New Testament - defending their freedom from dictatorships and evil leaders, while promoting their evil, dictatorial, tyrant God who promotes slavery, genocide and rape.

Can you post passages from the Bible that condone slavery, genocide, and rape.

Also, atheist communists have marched proudly into battle and killed people, in larger than religious people ever did, so don't go down the route of pretending atheists are any less succeptible to brain-washing than Christians.
Kerfluffer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 1:44:45 PM

As a confessing Christian, I sadly agree with this post. I'd even go as far as say that it's good to help those who don't deserve it in most cases, although helping people in need should be prioritized. It seems appropriate in a belief system which is based on the fact that none of us is worthy yet Jesus loves and saves us anyway.