Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

What is the purpose of our Earthly lives?

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 9:26:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've put this question to Christians before and never really received a satisfactory answer.

Christians say they worship a loving god who wants nothing more than for each human being to join him in heaven for all eternity. I'm wondering then why we have our three-score and ten years (if we are lucky) here on Earth. It's a mere eyeblink in eternity. Why doesn't god just take our 'souls' straight to heaven? There would be no problem with sin - we would all remain pure - and we would not have to put up with the dull and dreary existence in this world (in comparison to the bliss of heaven).

[As an aside, the logical course of action for any pious Christian should be to commit suicide immediately and go straight to heaven before they have a chance to sin further and get into god's bad book. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the churches closed off that loophole early in the piece].

So, is our Earthly existence a test or trial of some kind, separating the wheat from the chaff? Is there some other explanation? What do Christians/theists think?
skinker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 10:04:39 AM
Our lives in Creation are a kind of school of living where our souls learn lessons on how to be in the World to Come. It's a mystery why some souls are cut short and others of questionable worth go on and on but that's the way it is set up. The Hindus say reincarnation improves souls but that creates a problem of double and multiple souls sharing the same bodies, i.e. who's in charge? Which soul goes forward and which is snuffed out or otherwise displaced to make room for another soul?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 10:05:23 AM
At 7/1/2014 9:26:57 AM, dee-em wrote:
I've put this question to Christians before and never really received a satisfactory answer.

Christians say they worship a loving god who wants nothing more than for each human being to join him in heaven for all eternity. I'm wondering then why we have our three-score and ten years (if we are lucky) here on Earth. It's a mere eyeblink in eternity. Why doesn't god just take our 'souls' straight to heaven? There would be no problem with sin - we would all remain pure - and we would not have to put up with the dull and dreary existence in this world (in comparison to the bliss of heaven).

[As an aside, the logical course of action for any pious Christian should be to commit suicide immediately and go straight to heaven before they have a chance to sin further and get into god's bad book. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the churches closed off that loophole early in the piece].

So, is our Earthly existence a test or trial of some kind, separating the wheat from the chaff? Is there some other explanation? What do Christians/theists think?

To be a caring christian, they should commit abortion or at least infanticide and sacrifice themselves in the manner of their saviour.
If they want their offspring to go to heaven they should be prepared to sacrifice themselves. But apparently christianity is a very selfish belief system.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
lifemeansevolutionisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 11:43:13 AM

I am not a Christian, but my religion believes in a universal afterlife. In my mind, our Earthly life is to learn about what it is like to struggle, to love, to fear, it is a learning experience. If you lived already in an immortal plane, how would you learn to struggle, love, etc. as much as you can here?
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 12:17:28 PM
At 7/1/2014 10:05:23 AM, bulproof wrote:

To be a caring christian, they should commit abortion or at least infanticide and sacrifice themselves in the manner of their saviour.

What?

If they want their offspring to go to heaven they should be prepared to sacrifice themselves.

Where does it say to sacrifice your life in the Bible?

But apparently christianity is a very selfish belief system.

Shame your mum was too selfish to perform the above advice on you when your drunk dad knocked her up.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 3:06:35 PM
Christians say they worship a loving god who wants nothing more than for each human being to join him in heaven for all eternity. I'm wondering then why we have our three-score and ten years (if we are lucky) here on Earth. It's a mere eyeblink in eternity. Why doesn't god just take our 'souls' straight to heaven?

Maybe there is just no good reason for that.

I think this life I the lesson that people wanted in the Garden of Eden, when they wanted to know good and evil like God. We are here to learn what evil really means. In God"s place, there is no evil that is why I think we were expelled to this death, to really learn what evil, godless means. And I think one purpose is that here we can also prove are we righteous or not and then eternal life is for righteous, other have to settle to this short life.

Although I think God know who will end to eternal life, I think this is for us, so that we can really see the reason for why we get eternal life or don"t get it.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

[As an aside, the logical course of action for any pious Christian should be to commit suicide immediately and go straight to heaven before they have a chance to sin further and get into god's bad book.

Suicide is same as murder, and it is against God"s commandments. I think righteous person appreciates this opportunity and want to use it for good, not for murder.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 4:19:52 AM
At 7/1/2014 10:04:39 AM, skinker wrote:
Our lives in Creation are a kind of school of living where our souls learn lessons on how to be in the World to Come. It's a mystery why some souls are cut short and others of questionable worth go on and on but that's the way it is set up. The Hindus say reincarnation improves souls but that creates a problem of double and multiple souls sharing the same bodies, i.e. who's in charge? Which soul goes forward and which is snuffed out or otherwise displaced to make room for another soul?

Interesting, but I struggle to understand what lessons we need to learn and why they couldn't be given in heaven. Christians tell us that all god requires from us is to worship and adore him. That would be easy enough for anyone when confronted with an all-powerful god in heaven. No lessons required.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 4:26:46 AM
At 7/1/2014 11:43:13 AM, lifemeansevolutionisgood wrote:

I am not a Christian, but my religion believes in a universal afterlife. In my mind, our Earthly life is to learn about what it is like to struggle, to love, to fear, it is a learning experience. If you lived already in an immortal plane, how would you learn to struggle, love, etc. as much as you can here?

Firstly, some people never get the opportunity since a large proportion of the Earth's human population has died at or before child birth. This kind of destroys your argument.

Secondly, why do we need to learn all those things prior to entry to heaven? Towards what purpose?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 5:04:04 AM
At 7/1/2014 3:06:35 PM, 12_13 wrote:

Maybe there is just no good reason for that.

Even for a god, creating this vast universe was no mean feat. Can it really not have a purpose?

I think this life I the lesson that people wanted in the Garden of Eden, when they wanted to know good and evil like God. We are here to learn what evil really means. In God"s place, there is no evil that is why I think we were expelled to this death, to really learn what evil, godless means.

Why is it necessary for us to experience evil if god loves and cares for us? My parents, who loved and cared for me tried their very best to shield me from evil.

And I think one purpose is that here we can also prove are we righteous or not and then eternal life is for righteous, other have to settle to this short life.

Unfortunately this fails because of the different lifespans we are given (see earlier posts). If Earthly life is a kind of test, then at the very least we should be given an equal starting point. Instead some of us are born into poverty, into famine ravaged populations, into families with drug addiction, etc. The unfairness is appalling. A definite fail by god if that is indeed the plan.

Although I think God know who will end to eternal life, I think this is for us, so that we can really see the reason for why we get eternal life or don"t get it.

This doesn't make any sense. God knows but lets it play out for our benefit? Why not just tell us and avoid all this rigmarole?

Suicide is same as murder, and it is against God"s commandments.

Where I come from, attempted suicide and attempted murder are very different crimes. Successful suicide cannot be prosecuted by definition. In some countries voluntary euthanasia is legal, in fact.