Jump to topic:

Your Worldview

SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 5:37:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Was your upbringing religious? Explain, please. What's your worldview now?

I'll start. My mother is a somewhat-Wiccan and my father is a deist. They only ever mentioned their beliefs to me when I asked. If I had to pick one word to describe my worldview, I'd say naturalist. However, I take this position by default, not as a certain, unquestionable truth.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 5:51:25 PM
At 7/1/2014 5:37:38 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:

I'll start. My mother is a somewhat-Wiccan and my father is a deist. They only ever mentioned their beliefs to me when I asked. If I had to pick one word to describe my worldview, I'd say naturalist. However, I take this position by default, not as a certain, unquestionable truth.

My worldview is Christianity, but I don't believe it's the Christianity most people see today. I have had a mix of beliefs and worldviews to make mine seem different, but made sense to me. I didn't see anywhere in the bible where God was said to be a wise old man, but if it said he defined what was what, then I would have to say he sounded a lot like Spinoza's God. I am partially a Deist as well since I believe God is just going to let the world run it's course and the Armageddon he speaks of is the day humankind kills itself and the planet. I am very interested in this Christian worldview because I find love and forgiveness in this and before I actually became Christian, I had a philosophy where if somebody messed up, they shouldn't be forgiven. I wouldn't even forgive myself and I often times had to beat myself up senseless. Anyways, I was raised in a Christian family, but was a default Christian. I just wore the name tag, but never read the bible, never understood the stories, and knew the life of a Christian. I just thought it was a name.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:05:31 AM
At 7/1/2014 5:51:25 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

My worldview is Christianity, but I don't believe it's the Christianity most people see today. I have had a mix of beliefs and worldviews to make mine seem different, but made sense to me. I didn't see anywhere in the bible where God was said to be a wise old man, but if it said he defined what was what, then I would have to say he sounded a lot like Spinoza's God. I am partially a Deist as well since I believe God is just going to let the world run it's course and the Armageddon he speaks of is the day humankind kills itself and the planet. I am very interested in this Christian worldview because I find love and forgiveness in this and before I actually became Christian, I had a philosophy where if somebody messed up, they shouldn't be forgiven. I wouldn't even forgive myself and I often times had to beat myself up senseless. Anyways, I was raised in a Christian family, but was a default Christian. I just wore the name tag, but never read the bible, never understood the stories, and knew the life of a Christian. I just thought it was a name.
I was brought up in pretty much an atheist environment. I had never been to a church service that I can recall until I was an adult. I am now a Bible believing Christian.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 11:14:49 AM
At 7/2/2014 10:05:31 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

I was brought up in pretty much an atheist environment. I had never been to a church service that I can recall until I was an adult. I am now a Bible believing Christian.

What made you decide Christianity?
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 11:39:45 AM
At 7/2/2014 11:14:49 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:

I think the best way I can describe it is that it chose me. Basically, there wasn't much of a choice. I did not want the Gospel message to be true. And one particular day I tried to think my out of becoming a believer, and couldn't do it. And when I gave in, I had a profound spiritual experience that ended any doubt, so although I didn't adjust smoothly into the Christian environment (like church), and back slid a number of times, I never really re-questioned God's existence. And as the older I get, the less I can get away with. God's presence just seems to get stronger and stronger.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 11:48:53 AM
At 7/2/2014 11:39:45 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

I think the best way I can describe it is that it chose me. Basically, there wasn't much of a choice. I did not want the Gospel message to be true. And one particular day I tried to think my out of becoming a believer, and couldn't do it. And when I gave in, I had a profound spiritual experience that ended any doubt, so although I didn't adjust smoothly into the Christian environment (like church), and back slid a number of times, I never really re-questioned God's existence. And as the older I get, the less I can get away with. God's presence just seems to get stronger and stronger.

Just know you don't need you don't need to be comftorbale with church because it's just a social scene. If church was to really teach the gospel of Jesus Christ, then all these churches today wouldn't have so many denominations. Just read the bible and focus on interpretation. But my one advice is not to take everything quite literal. There's a reason some stuff is said and it was mainly because God was speaking through the people in the idioms of their time. So don't lose your old self entirely, just know the new you is just somebody who is spiritually new. When did you get saved?
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 12:10:32 PM
At 7/2/2014 11:48:53 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 7/2/2014 11:39:45 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

Just know you don't need you don't need to be comftorbale with church because it's just a social scene. If church was to really teach the gospel of Jesus Christ, then all these churches today wouldn't have so many denominations. Just read the bible and focus on interpretation. But my one advice is not to take everything quite literal. There's a reason some stuff is said and it was mainly because God was speaking through the people in the idioms of their time. So don't lose your old self entirely, just know the new you is just somebody who is spiritually new. When did you get saved?
As far as churches go, they are inhabited by humans, so all of the problems associated with a communal environment are inevitable. However, there still is a Body Of Christ even if divided by denominations. Jesus Christ still unites us all together even when we may personally feel like we're not all united. In nations where Christians are heavily persecuted, denominational differences are less significant.

As far as scripture and it's literalness, if we are going to be open, we also have to be open to scriptures being literal that we may personally prefer not to be literal.

I was saved when I was 21 years old.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 12:16:14 PM
Was raised in a fairly conservative Christian household. Was an atheist for a bit, but now I'm a fairly not conservative Christian.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!