Jump to topic:

I just got handed this today.

Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 6:04:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So I was hanging around the King of Prussia Mall today, since I live about a mile away from it, and some youngish lady handed me a million dollar bill (I didn't see her later even though I was around the same area the whole time and I didn't see her leave, I think she got kicked out). After the initial half-second of excitement, I turned it around and realized it was a religious bill. Below is a picture of it, followed by the text, which I got from Living Waters website.

http://store.livingwaters.com...

"The million dollar question: Will you go to Heaven when you die? Here's a quick test. Have you ever told a lie, stolen anything, or used God's name in vain? Jesus said, "Whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Have you looked with lust? Will you be guilty on Judgment Day? If you have done those things, God sees you as a lying, thieving, blasphemous, adulterer at heart. The Bible warns that if you are guilty you will end up in Hell. That's not God's will. He sent His Son to suffer and die on the cross for you. You broke God's Law, but Jesus paid your fine. That means He can legally dismiss your case. He can commute your death sentence: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." Then Jesus rose from the dead and defeated death. Please, repent (turn from sin) today and trust in Jesus alone, and God will grant you the gift of everlasting life. Then read your Bible daily and obey it. "

So, what do you think? I personally thought it was obnoxious.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
lifemeansevolutionisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 6:37:52 PM
At 7/1/2014 6:04:05 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
So I was hanging around the King of Prussia Mall today, since I live about a mile away from it, and some youngish lady handed me a million dollar bill (I didn't see her later even though I was around the same area the whole time and I didn't see her leave, I think she got kicked out). After the initial half-second of excitement, I turned it around and realized it was a religious bill. Below is a picture of it, followed by the text, which I got from Living Waters website.

"The million dollar question: Will you go to Heaven when you die? Here's a quick test. Have you ever told a lie, stolen anything, or used God's name in vain? Jesus said, "Whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Have you looked with lust? Will you be guilty on Judgment Day? If you have done those things, God sees you as a lying, thieving, blasphemous, adulterer at heart. The Bible warns that if you are guilty you will end up in Hell. That's not God's will. He sent His Son to suffer and die on the cross for you. You broke God's Law, but Jesus paid your fine. That means He can legally dismiss your case. He can commute your death sentence: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." Then Jesus rose from the dead and defeated death. Please, repent (turn from sin) today and trust in Jesus alone, and God will grant you the gift of everlasting life. Then read your Bible daily and obey it. "

First, I find it funny that you were excited about a "million dollar bill". Second, those bills are some of the stupidest things I have seen.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 6:53:04 PM
I only wish I had said this in a very serious tone.

'Oh? So this is information on the deity of this realm. Very well, I will show this to my master, the great God of Magic and confer to him what I have learned. But first, allow me to examine the mental strength of his followers. Put two fingers up by her forehead the close eyes for a moment. Reopen So this is the strength that your god gives to his chosen? I could defeat you without having to use magic or Diometrix's blessing, or even the blessing of a lesser priest. So I will report these possible conclusions. 1. Your god is not the true god of this realm. 2. Your god is weak and has no followers with any powers, and when the great God of Magic, Diometrix comes using my gateway he will be crushed quickly. 3. This realm is beyond the understanding of fools such as me and contains no deity. Goodday, and I shall see your corpse on the great battlefield of Diometrix and his allies, hopefully along with this Yahweh's enemies that we are seeking out vs. your god's excuse for followers and the god himself.
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 6:53:32 PM
At 7/1/2014 6:53:04 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

'Oh? So this is information on the deity of this realm. Very well, I will show this to my master, the great God of Magic and confer to him what I have learned. But first, allow me to examine the mental strength of his followers. Put two fingers up by her forehead the close eyes for a moment. Reopen So this is the strength that your god gives to his chosen? I could defeat you without having to use magic or Diometrix's blessing, or even the blessing of a lesser priest. So I will report these possible conclusions. 1. Your god is not the true god of this realm. 2. Your god is weak and has no followers with any powers, and when the great God of Magic, Diometrix comes using my gateway he will be crushed quickly. 3. This realm is beyond the understanding of fools such as me and contains no deity. Goodday, and I shall see your corpse on the great battlefield of Diometrix and his allies, hopefully along with this Yahweh's enemies that we are seeking out vs. your god's excuse for followers and the god himself.

Thought of it like a minute afterword.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 6:57:10 PM

l actually give those out to people but I don't just hand it and walk away I hand it and let them know what it Is and then wait to see if they have questions. I'm sorry you felt tricked or deceived. :/
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 6:59:45 PM
At 7/1/2014 6:57:10 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

l actually give those out to people but I don't just hand it and walk away I hand it and let them know what it Is and then wait to see if they have questions. I'm sorry you felt tricked or deceived. :/

I didn't really feel tricked or deceived. It took a second of thought to realize that 'hey, people don't hand out millions of dollars' and 'dollar bills don't have a lot of color and say 'Happy Fourth of July'.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 7:03:01 PM
At 7/1/2014 6:59:45 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
At 7/1/2014 6:57:10 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

I didn't really feel tricked or deceived. It took a second of thought to realize that 'hey, people don't hand out millions of dollars' and 'dollar bills don't have a lot of color and say 'Happy Fourth of July'.

Regardless, she should've at least told you what it was or something. Like foreals whenever I hand them out people try to joke about it not in a demeaning way even atheists I've encountered get all excited and are like this is cool an they'll stick around to talk about it or ask questions which is what I kinda hope for. I don't like leaving people wondering what's going on or why they got that and not have the faintest idea. But glad you didn't feel that way anyways.

What do you think about it though?
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 7:12:46 PM
At 7/1/2014 7:03:01 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Regardless, she should've at least told you what it was or something. Like foreals whenever I hand them out people try to joke about it not in a demeaning way even atheists I've encountered get all excited and are like this is cool an they'll stick around to talk about it or ask questions which is what I kinda hope for. I don't like leaving people wondering what's going on or why they got that and not have the faintest idea. But glad you didn't feel that way anyways.

Not much. I've watched a couple of Ray Comfort's street preaching videos, so I've heard pretty much that exact wording before, almost word for word.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 7:15:46 PM
At 7/1/2014 7:12:46 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
At 7/1/2014 7:03:01 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Not much. I've watched a couple of Ray Comfort's street preaching videos, so I've heard pretty much that exact wording before, almost word for word.

Well alright then. Just was making sure.
"Good Times" ~ Max
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 7:19:55 PM
If we view this as societally acceptable, to tell people that they are destined for eternal torment and torture for seemingly insignificant acts they face, which forces them into a form of blackmail.

If we view that as acceptable then I do not see how the positive antithesis (there is no God) of that is unacceptable. Or handing out 1 million dollar IOU's with thereafter blunt declaration if no afterlife, but also no torment to worry about.

Sounds fair.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 7:43:21 PM

If you dislike it then you are free to give it away or dispose of it. However, the person who gave it to you had the right to give that to you under freedom of speech and freedom of expression.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 7:56:09 PM
Well, Lordrae, in my opinion there is some validity in the message this lady gave you, though probably not in the way she realizes. People do die for sins and hell is the consequence for a community that practices habitual, unrepetant sin.

Yes. Jesus did die for people's sin. People regularly die for the collectively sins of others on our planet. It's not a very nice message to take hold of, but it is a message that forces us to contemplate our day to day behavior and hopefully encourages us to treat others kindly while renouncing sin.

I think God was speaking to you (and all of us, now that you've shared it) through that million $$$ bill (even if it is phoney).
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 8:02:31 PM
At 7/1/2014 7:43:21 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

If you dislike it then you are free to give it away or dispose of it. However, the person who gave it to you had the right to give that to you under freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

Well, not really. Philosophically, I would agree with you that, yes, she should be able to do it. I think plenty of things are annoying or detrimental to oneself, but that doesn't mean they should be illegal. Like tobacco, Marijuana, or saying things that I don't like. However, the King of Prussia Mall is private property. I was there once when a group with megaphones ran in and started yelling about the occupy movement. They got roughly 'escorted' out of the building. While of course the latter of the two, the fake million and the occupy movement, was by far more of a disturbance, the KoP mall showed that it had the legal rights to remove people from their property.
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 8:24:39 PM

Well, I wish I had some...to hand out, in all honesty.
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 9:05:46 PM

People have been using that bogus-money routine for decades. In one of my first jobs the boss had his business cards made-up to look like folded hundred-dollar-bills on one side and insisted that we, the employees, leave them lying around on the ground at restaurants, stores, etc.

To me it seems as if you unwittingly became part of an advertising trick. They had a message they wanted you tor read and you read it. What's so bad about that? If it had been an ad for anything else I doubt you would be writing about it. Some people believe that "salvation" is based entirely upon accepting Jesus as your savior, and not necessarily on what you do. They were prompting you to make that choice. It's the American way.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 1:11:33 AM

So, let me get this straight, being handed a flier is a significant emotional event because 'God' was advertised? Yet we get handed fliers pretty much every day of our lives. What is the normal response? Throw it away.

Curiously, atheists do the same thing - Darwin Day.

http://www.eloquentatheist.com...

I guess we should turn that into a singularly emotional event - realizing that there are people out there that disagree with our religion! Say What!?

If the concept of advertising in the modern era is a significant emotional event, you will have issues. If you ONLY have issues when religious groups exercise their protected free speech? Well, that is just prejudice - and when we make innocuous events into something nefarious and an affront? That sounds more like a personal problem than an actual issue correct?

OMG! Advertising!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 1:38:11 AM
At 7/2/2014 1:11:33 AM, neutral wrote:

So, let me get this straight, being handed a flier is a significant emotional event because 'God' was advertised? Yet we get handed fliers pretty much every day of our lives. What is the normal response? Throw it away.

I guess we should turn that into a singularly emotional event - realizing that there are people out there that disagree with our religion! Say What!?

If the concept of advertising in the modern era is a significant emotional event, you will have issues. If you ONLY have issues when religious groups exercise their protected free speech? Well, that is just prejudice - and when we make innocuous events into something nefarious and an affront? That sounds more like a personal problem than an actual issue correct?

OMG! Advertising!

Sometimes while I am at the bar, I get a flier for a local strip club. I think strip clubs are nasty. I don't think they are good for the women or the men that visit them.

Guess what I do with the flier. Aside from going to a stripper forum in DDO and stating my obvious disgust? I throw it away.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 2:05:41 AM
At 7/2/2014 1:38:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

OMG! Advertising!

Sometimes while I am at the bar, I get a flier for a local strip club. I think strip clubs are nasty. I don't think they are good for the women or the men that visit them.

Guess what I do with the flier. Aside from going to a stripper forum in DDO and stating my obvious disgust? I throw it away.

How often do you go to strip clubs or how often have you been. Do you know any strippers?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 2:14:53 AM
At 7/2/2014 2:05:41 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 7/2/2014 1:38:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

OMG! Advertising!

How often do you go to strip clubs or how often have you been. Do you know any strippers?

Yes I have been to a few and in my youth engaged to a ex-stripper. I have been and known strippers from 6 different states and 3 countries.

I again do not think they are beneficial for men or women.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 8:43:12 AM
At 7/2/2014 2:04:05 PM, Ethan wrote:

So I was hanging around the Mall of America today, since I live about a mile away from it, and some youngish lady handed me a million dollar bill (I didn't see her later even though I was around the same area the whole time and I didn't see her leave, I think she went out to hug a tree). After the initial half-second of excitement, I turned it around and realized it was an environmental bill. Below is a picture of it, followed by the text, which I got from Living Earth website.

http://www.livingearthcolorado.org...
Connecting Spiritually
With the Divine
With the Earth
With Each Other

The million dollar question: Will your grandchildren have a clean Earth when you die? Here's a quick test. Have you ever driven a car, coal-barbecued anything, or used non-green friendly products? The Green Movement said, "Whoever does not separate his trash has already committed genocide with the Earth in his heart." Have you mixed your trash? Will you be guilty on Earth Day? If you have done those things, God sees you as a lying, thieving, blasphemous, polluter at heart. The Green Bible warns that if you are guilty you will end up in Polluters Hell. That's not GreenGod's will. He sent Greenpeace to suffer and die on anti-whaling ships for you. You broke GreenGod's Law, but Greenpeace paid your fine. That means they can legally dismiss your case. They can commute your death sentence: "For GreenGod so loved the world that He gave His environmentally friendly Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish in trash but have everlasting clean energy." Then Greenpeace rose from the dead ground and defeated pollution. Please, repent (turn from pollution) today and trust in Greenpeace alone, and GreenGod will grant you the gift of everlasting energy. Then read our demands daily and obey them. "

So, what do you think? How many of you think Lordgrae would have found it obnoxious if the bill had been like my example above?

Luk 21:17 - Everyone will hate you because of me.
- Jesus

I will love you and follow you my King, regardless of the hate.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:28:07 AM

I would say the best way to look at the situation in your current state of mind is to appreciate that the girl desires that you end up in Heaven. Even if the method is questionable, the basic intent of it all was to tell you what she believes will do you the ultimate good....whether she is right or wrong. You should probably consider the fact that more than likely the majority of Christians you encounter on a daily basis don't even let you know that they are Christians, let alone tell you how one gets to Heaven.

And I think it's just important to realize that in a relatively free-speech nation like the U.S., we're going to be approached by people at times who are acting within the confines of legality, which doesn't guarantee non-annoyance. I at one time was approached numerous times by very aggressive scientologists and moonies. I mean very aggressive. One of the apparent tactics of the moonies was to invite people of traditional college age to an international house for a meal followed by a video presentation. After the presentation, if one expresses no interest in joining up with them, they are left without a promised ride back to where they originally were.

Christianity and religions and cults are not going away. The only way they would go away is by force, which basically means dictatorship. There's a reason why people are handing out tracts like that, which is basically because they are allowed to.

If the King of Prussia has no problem with it, there's not much you can do except maybe try to look at my suggested bright side of it.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 12:06:08 PM

It's ridiculous on several levels, not the least of which it offers a false plan of salvation.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 12:08:13 PM

And the above is more ridiculous that the false scheme of redemption offered on the bill. Why would you say stupid stuff in response to her stupid stuff?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 12:15:23 PM
At 7/2/2014 12:08:13 PM, annanicole wrote:

And the above is more ridiculous that the false scheme of redemption offered on the bill. Why would you say stupid stuff in response to her stupid stuff?

Just to see her reaction. I think it would have been hilarious, but I was with a friend who is somewhat religious.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:50:24 PM

OMG! Advertising!

To be honest, I think most advertising is annoying. I'm not saying that I think they shouldn't be allowed to do it, just that I personally didn't like it. I don't like smoking, however, that doesn't necessarily mean I think it should be illegal.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 5:16:10 AM
At 7/2/2014 10:50:24 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

OMG! Advertising!

To be honest, I think most advertising is annoying. I'm not saying that I think they shouldn't be allowed to do it, just that I personally didn't like it. I don't like smoking, however, that doesn't necessarily mean I think it should be illegal.

Well, it advertising of a religious belief that apparently so tweaks atheists that causes threads like these - as if some great offense has arisen. When someone points out how common place advertising is, and that is simpler just to throw something away ... as opposed to take the time to start thread and lambast religious people for ... common behavior ... suddenly we need to be all reasonable and like?

Yet the reality is, "OMG! Religious people are advertising! My heart, it is all wounded and such!"

Pretty petty. Right up there with, "OMG, some credit card company sent me an application!!!!!!"

Throw it away. That is the point of advertising. You have no idea who is and is not interested until you ask. The idea that someone ELSE might be open to a product or service that you are not? Shocking.