Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

What is the proof and evidence of Atheism?

Zarroette
Posts: 2,951
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 7:50:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

Wait... Zarroette, I thought you were an atheist?? At least by what your profile says??
Anyways, hopefully someone can answer you though...
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Krieg01
Posts: 1,131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 7:52:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

How do you mean prove atheism, The word atheism is just used in a sense to say we don't believe that any deity/s created everything as we know it!
How come when I hit review it sometimes adds my post without me clicking add post?
Does this happen to other people?

#LEARN TO SPEAK UP
#Cause I can
Learn to use emoticons DDO.
andymcstab
Posts: 308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 7:56:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 7:50:07 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

Wait... Zarroette, I thought you were an atheist?? At least by what your profile says??
Anyways, hopefully someone can answer you though...
She's trolling.
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 7:57:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 7:56:52 PM, andymcstab wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:50:07 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

Wait... Zarroette, I thought you were an atheist?? At least by what your profile says??
Anyways, hopefully someone can answer you though...
She's trolling.

ohhh -_-
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 8:01:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree, Atheist know who we are talking about when we say Atheist. People that say god is not real. but when fenced in they want to play semantics with the what the word Atheism means.

I would like to see presented the justification for this "lack of believe" by Atheist, Satanists, Agnostics, etc..
Hematite12
Posts: 400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 8:19:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 8:01:35 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree, Atheist know who we are talking about when we say Atheist. People that say god is not real. but when fenced in they want to play semantics with the what the word Atheism means.

I would like to see presented the justification for this "lack of believe" by Atheist, Satanists, Agnostics, etc..

First, I don't know why you grouped in satanists...

Anyways, the justification is as follows:

1) That for which there is a severe lack of evidence should not be thought to exist.

2) There is a severe lack of evidence for a deity.

3) It follows, then, not to believe in a deity.
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 8:23:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Despite Zarrotte was trolling, her point is exactly right. There is no way to prove atheism without semantics. Atheism, simply, is the belief that a deity doesn't exist. Theism is the belief that a deity does exist. Unless you have proof that a god can't exist (which is very hard to do) then you are actually agnostic.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
matt.mcguire88
Posts: 1,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 8:27:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct?
Nothing.

I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

There's nothing to prove, sleep tight.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

Sure you do.
MrJosh
Posts: 52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 8:43:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The problem with this question is that it shows a complete lack of understanding as to what atheism is. Theism is a belief in at least one god. Atheism is the lack of that belief. If you lack a belief in Bigfoot, leprechauns, or faeries, you don't need to prove that they don't exist.; you simply don't believe. It is the same with atheists.

To answer another topic on this thread, atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive; I am an agnostic atheist. Gnosticism/agnosticism address knowledge (or at least claims to knowledge), while theism/atheism address beliefs. I'm not positive that there aren't any gods (agnostic), but I don't believe there are any (atheist).
MrJosh
Posts: 52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 8:45:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

You say that your God has been proven; want to debate that?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 9:14:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 8:19:51 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:01:35 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree, Atheist know who we are talking about when we say Atheist. People that say god is not real. but when fenced in they want to play semantics with the what the word Atheism means.

I would like to see presented the justification for this "lack of believe" by Atheist, Satanists, Agnostics, etc..

First, I don't know why you grouped in satanists...

Anyways, the justification is as follows:

1) That for which there is a severe lack of evidence should not be thought to exist.

2) There is a severe lack of evidence for a deity.

3) It follows, then, not to believe in a deity.

"Believe" and your claim of "no-evidence" Are about you. Not about the universe and reality.

So when asked for justification for your lack of believe, you have no argument but that you are unconvinced. Real objective there.
debateuser
Posts: 1,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 9:39:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 9:14:18 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:19:51 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:01:35 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree, Atheist know who we are talking about when we say Atheist. People that say god is not real. but when fenced in they want to play semantics with the what the word Atheism means.

I would like to see presented the justification for this "lack of believe" by Atheist, Satanists, Agnostics, etc..

First, I don't know why you grouped in satanists...

Anyways, the justification is as follows:

1) That for which there is a severe lack of evidence should not be thought to exist.

2) There is a severe lack of evidence for a deity.

3) It follows, then, not to believe in a deity.

"Believe" and your claim of "no-evidence" Are about you. Not about the universe and reality.

So when asked for justification for your lack of believe, you have no argument but that you are unconvinced. Real objective there.

There is no claim from any deity. The universe pretty much runs by itself. Quantum fluctuations allow a universe from nothing.
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
Hematite12
Posts: 400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 9:52:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 9:14:18 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:19:51 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:01:35 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree, Atheist know who we are talking about when we say Atheist. People that say god is not real. but when fenced in they want to play semantics with the what the word Atheism means.

I would like to see presented the justification for this "lack of believe" by Atheist, Satanists, Agnostics, etc..

First, I don't know why you grouped in satanists...

Anyways, the justification is as follows:

1) That for which there is a severe lack of evidence should not be thought to exist.

2) There is a severe lack of evidence for a deity.

3) It follows, then, not to believe in a deity.

"Believe" and your claim of "no-evidence" Are about you. Not about the universe and reality.

So when asked for justification for your lack of believe, you have no argument but that you are unconvinced. Real objective there.

No, it is about the universe and reality, assuming that science is about the universe and reality.

What I laid out is just the scientific method.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:02:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 9:52:40 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 9:14:18 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:19:51 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:01:35 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree, Atheist know who we are talking about when we say Atheist. People that say god is not real. but when fenced in they want to play semantics with the what the word Atheism means.

I would like to see presented the justification for this "lack of believe" by Atheist, Satanists, Agnostics, etc..

First, I don't know why you grouped in satanists...

Anyways, the justification is as follows:

1) That for which there is a severe lack of evidence should not be thought to exist.

2) There is a severe lack of evidence for a deity.

3) It follows, then, not to believe in a deity.

"Believe" and your claim of "no-evidence" Are about you. Not about the universe and reality.

So when asked for justification for your lack of believe, you have no argument but that you are unconvinced. Real objective there.

No, it is about the universe and reality, assuming that science is about the universe and reality.

What I laid out is just the scientific method.

How is what anything you said the scientific method?? Please outline and back with sources that outline what the scientific method.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:19:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree. That's why atheism tends to be based on evidence and logic, rather than faith. If you must hold a belief on faith alone, then there is little hope that the belief is at all true.

You claimed that God has been "proved". That's completely false. Not only has there been no "proof" (conclusive evidence) for God. We still lack even a shred of objective evidence to support the argument that God exists. In every way, God is no more supportable than fairies, Leprechauns, mermaids, unicorns or mermaids. And I could add a thousand other proclaimed (yet mythical) entities and organisms to the list, and none of them are any more, or any less, supported than the conclusion of God.

By the way, even were someone to finally produce objective evidence for God, you then have to show that it is the Christian God, and not one of hundreds of other gods, or a god yet to be proposed.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:20:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 8:01:35 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree, Atheist know who we are talking about when we say Atheist. People that say god is not real. but when fenced in they want to play semantics with the what the word Atheism means.

I would like to see presented the justification for this "lack of believe" by Atheist, Satanists, Agnostics, etc..

And no matter how many times it is presented, you reject it. You hold for yourself the right to reject a concept based on a lack of evidence, but reject the very same logic when applied to God, because you believe he exists.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:24:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 8:23:44 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Despite Zarrotte was trolling, her point is exactly right. There is no way to prove atheism without semantics. Atheism, simply, is the belief that a deity doesn't exist. Theism is the belief that a deity does exist. Unless you have proof that a god can't exist (which is very hard to do) then you are actually agnostic.

While the common usage for "agnostic" has come to include someone who is undecided, the technically correct definition is one who believes the question of God's existence cannot be answered.

But theism, atheism and agnosticism are about belief. It's what you believe, not what you can or can't demonstrate beyond any reasonable doubt. And atheism is far more logical than theism. If you see no evidence for a warthog on your dinner table, you are unlikely to believe he warthog exists. This is all atheists are doing - we find no evidence for God, therefore, we do not believe he exists.

The theist is taking the inverse route and derailing logic by asserting that God does exist, despite the fact that they lack even a shred of objective evidence for his existence.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:25:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 10:24:17 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:23:44 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Despite Zarrotte was trolling, her point is exactly right. There is no way to prove atheism without semantics. Atheism, simply, is the belief that a deity doesn't exist. Theism is the belief that a deity does exist. Unless you have proof that a god can't exist (which is very hard to do) then you are actually agnostic.

While the common usage for "agnostic" has come to include someone who is undecided, the technically correct definition is one who believes the question of God's existence cannot be answered.

But theism, atheism and agnosticism are about belief. It's what you believe, not what you can or can't demonstrate beyond any reasonable doubt. And atheism is far more logical than theism. If you see no evidence for a warthog on your dinner table, you are unlikely to believe he warthog exists. This is all atheists are doing - we find no evidence for God, therefore, we do not believe he exists.

The theist is taking the inverse route and derailing logic by asserting that God does exist, despite the fact that they lack even a shred of objective evidence for his existence.

Can we just make a new word? Atheostic
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:26:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 9:06:08 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
Make up your mind, do you believe in the fairy tale of Atheism or creationism lol?

Since when is; "there is no objective evidence for God, therefore I do not believe in God" a fairytale?

Fairytales commonly contain characters and beings which are devoid of evidence in the real world. Since no one seems to have any objective evidence for God, he fits the fairytale motif quite well, while atheism fits reasoned logic.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:27:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 10:25:05 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 7/2/2014 10:24:17 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:23:44 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Despite Zarrotte was trolling, her point is exactly right. There is no way to prove atheism without semantics. Atheism, simply, is the belief that a deity doesn't exist. Theism is the belief that a deity does exist. Unless you have proof that a god can't exist (which is very hard to do) then you are actually agnostic.

While the common usage for "agnostic" has come to include someone who is undecided, the technically correct definition is one who believes the question of God's existence cannot be answered.

But theism, atheism and agnosticism are about belief. It's what you believe, not what you can or can't demonstrate beyond any reasonable doubt. And atheism is far more logical than theism. If you see no evidence for a warthog on your dinner table, you are unlikely to believe he warthog exists. This is all atheists are doing - we find no evidence for God, therefore, we do not believe he exists.

The theist is taking the inverse route and derailing logic by asserting that God does exist, despite the fact that they lack even a shred of objective evidence for his existence.

Can we just make a new word? Atheostic

We could. Or we could use the existing words correctly.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:28:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 10:20:41 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:01:35 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree, Atheist know who we are talking about when we say Atheist. People that say god is not real. but when fenced in they want to play semantics with the what the word Atheism means.

I would like to see presented the justification for this "lack of believe" by Atheist, Satanists, Agnostics, etc..

And no matter how many times it is presented, you reject it. You hold for yourself the right to reject a concept based on a lack of evidence, but reject the very same logic when applied to God, because you believe he exists.

No I see a few cases for the "lack of evidence" and I have addressed why I do not find the case sufficient for the result to be representative of reality in general.
Hematite12
Posts: 400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:28:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 10:02:49 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 9:52:40 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 9:14:18 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:19:51 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:01:35 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree, Atheist know who we are talking about when we say Atheist. People that say god is not real. but when fenced in they want to play semantics with the what the word Atheism means.

I would like to see presented the justification for this "lack of believe" by Atheist, Satanists, Agnostics, etc..

First, I don't know why you grouped in satanists...

Anyways, the justification is as follows:

1) That for which there is a severe lack of evidence should not be thought to exist.

2) There is a severe lack of evidence for a deity.

3) It follows, then, not to believe in a deity.

"Believe" and your claim of "no-evidence" Are about you. Not about the universe and reality.

So when asked for justification for your lack of believe, you have no argument but that you are unconvinced. Real objective there.

No, it is about the universe and reality, assuming that science is about the universe and reality.

What I laid out is just the scientific method.

How is what anything you said the scientific method?? Please outline and back with sources that outline what the scientific method.

Scientific method: a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

In other words, evidence and predictive power are the criteria for scientific acceptance.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:36:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 10:28:26 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 10:02:49 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 9:52:40 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 9:14:18 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:19:51 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:01:35 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree, Atheist know who we are talking about when we say Atheist. People that say god is not real. but when fenced in they want to play semantics with the what the word Atheism means.

I would like to see presented the justification for this "lack of believe" by Atheist, Satanists, Agnostics, etc..

First, I don't know why you grouped in satanists...

Anyways, the justification is as follows:

1) That for which there is a severe lack of evidence should not be thought to exist.

2) There is a severe lack of evidence for a deity.

3) It follows, then, not to believe in a deity.

"Believe" and your claim of "no-evidence" Are about you. Not about the universe and reality.

So when asked for justification for your lack of believe, you have no argument but that you are unconvinced. Real objective there.

No, it is about the universe and reality, assuming that science is about the universe and reality.

What I laid out is just the scientific method.

How is what anything you said the scientific method?? Please outline and back with sources that outline what the scientific method.

Scientific method: a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

In other words, evidence and predictive power are the criteria for scientific acceptance.

1. systematic observation,
2. measurement, and
3. experiment, and the
4. formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

What you said was:

1) That for which there is a severe lack of evidence should not be thought to exist.

Oh this is your idea of a systematic observation. Unfortunately Some people observe the data and see evidence for God.

2) There is a severe lack of evidence for a deity.

This is the measurement you have made. Measurements are made from reference points. Could you be more specific for the observation or experiment so we all can debate whether the experiment and measurement was sound?

3) It follows, then, not to believe in a deity.

Oh this bare assertion is what you call a scientific hypothesis. Do scientist usually write their hypothesis saying "I believe.."
Hematite12
Posts: 400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:47:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 10:36:45 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 10:28:26 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 10:02:49 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 9:52:40 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 9:14:18 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:19:51 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:01:35 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree, Atheist know who we are talking about when we say Atheist. People that say god is not real. but when fenced in they want to play semantics with the what the word Atheism means.

I would like to see presented the justification for this "lack of believe" by Atheist, Satanists, Agnostics, etc..

First, I don't know why you grouped in satanists...

Anyways, the justification is as follows:

1) That for which there is a severe lack of evidence should not be thought to exist.

2) There is a severe lack of evidence for a deity.

3) It follows, then, not to believe in a deity.

"Believe" and your claim of "no-evidence" Are about you. Not about the universe and reality.

So when asked for justification for your lack of believe, you have no argument but that you are unconvinced. Real objective there.

No, it is about the universe and reality, assuming that science is about the universe and reality.

What I laid out is just the scientific method.

How is what anything you said the scientific method?? Please outline and back with sources that outline what the scientific method.

Scientific method: a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

In other words, evidence and predictive power are the criteria for scientific acceptance.

1. systematic observation,
2. measurement, and
3. experiment, and the
4. formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

What you said was:

1) That for which there is a severe lack of evidence should not be thought to exist.

Oh this is your idea of a systematic observation. Unfortunately Some people observe the data and see evidence for God.


Yes, some people do observe the data and see evidence for God, and I don't begrudge them. You're the one attacking atheists, and they don't see evidence, so that is the justification. Rather than attacking the position's logic, try and convince them with evidence.

2) There is a severe lack of evidence for a deity.

This is the measurement you have made. Measurements are made from reference points. Could you be more specific for the observation or experiment so we all can debate whether the experiment and measurement was sound?


I can't give evidence of a lack of evidence. Why don't you give me evidence for one?

Besides, see above. This is another discussion, I'm just laying out the viewpoint, of which you apparently lack understanding.

3) It follows, then, not to believe in a deity.

Oh this bare assertion is what you call a scientific hypothesis. Do scientist usually write their hypothesis saying "I believe.."

It's not a bare assertion first of all, I gave two supporting premises.

I didn't say it was a scientific hypothesis. I said that the entire basis of science is assuming falsehood until evidence is provided. Atheists do the same for God. Theists either don't do the same for God (they believe on faith), or they, like you, think that there is, in fact, evidence for God.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:56:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 10:47:45 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 10:36:45 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 10:28:26 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 10:02:49 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 9:52:40 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 9:14:18 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:19:51 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
At 7/2/2014 8:01:35 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

I agree, Atheist know who we are talking about when we say Atheist. People that say god is not real. but when fenced in they want to play semantics with the what the word Atheism means.

I would like to see presented the justification for this "lack of believe" by Atheist, Satanists, Agnostics, etc..

First, I don't know why you grouped in satanists...

Anyways, the justification is as follows:

1) That for which there is a severe lack of evidence should not be thought to exist.

2) There is a severe lack of evidence for a deity.

3) It follows, then, not to believe in a deity.

"Believe" and your claim of "no-evidence" Are about you. Not about the universe and reality.

So when asked for justification for your lack of believe, you have no argument but that you are unconvinced. Real objective there.

No, it is about the universe and reality, assuming that science is about the universe and reality.

What I laid out is just the scientific method.

How is what anything you said the scientific method?? Please outline and back with sources that outline what the scientific method.

Scientific method: a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

In other words, evidence and predictive power are the criteria for scientific acceptance.

1. systematic observation,
2. measurement, and
3. experiment, and the
4. formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

What you said was:

1) That for which there is a severe lack of evidence should not be thought to exist.

Oh this is your idea of a systematic observation. Unfortunately Some people observe the data and see evidence for God.


Yes, some people do observe the data and see evidence for God, and I don't begrudge them. You're the one attacking atheists, and they don't see evidence, so that is the justification. Rather than attacking the position's logic, try and convince them with evidence.

2) There is a severe lack of evidence for a deity.

This is the measurement you have made. Measurements are made from reference points. Could you be more specific for the observation or experiment so we all can debate whether the experiment and measurement was sound?


I can't give evidence of a lack of evidence. Why don't you give me evidence for one?

Besides, see above. This is another discussion, I'm just laying out the viewpoint, of which you apparently lack understanding.

"Lack of evidence" for god. I got it that is your take. Your take as the result of what investigation, of what experiment, of what test, of what observation was the result a "lack of evidence"


3) It follows, then, not to believe in a deity.

Oh this bare assertion is what you call a scientific hypothesis. Do scientist usually write their hypothesis saying "I believe.."

It's not a bare assertion first of all, I gave two supporting premises.

I didn't say it was a scientific hypothesis. I said that the entire basis of science is assuming falsehood until evidence is provided. Atheists do the same for God. Theists either don't do the same for God (they believe on faith), or they, like you, think that there is, in fact, evidence for God.

"What I laid out is just the scientific method." -Hematite12

and you are already moving the goal post. Why would you say the 3 points you laid out was the scientific method..if the conclusion was not the a scientific hypothesis.

And scientist do not always presume falsehood till evidence is provided. They put their backing behind what hypothesis appear to explain the evidence already known.
SkepticalStardust
Posts: 117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:59:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 8:23:44 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Despite Zarrotte was trolling, her point is exactly right. There is no way to prove atheism without semantics. Atheism, simply, is the belief that a deity doesn't exist. Theism is the belief that a deity does exist. Unless you have proof that a god can't exist (which is very hard to do) then you are actually agnostic.

Some people use those definitions, but they're not actually correct. A theist believes in the existence of god(s). An atheist lacks belief in the existence of god(s). Both theists and atheists can be agnostic. Theism is a specific belief, atheism is the lack of that belief, and agnosticism is a lack of certitude in a belief.

Atheists can believe that no god exists, but it's not necessary. Atheists can believe in anything they want to as long as it's not that a god or gods exist.

Here's an analogy:
Do you accept the claim that there are exactly 100 planes at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean? There's no reason to accept the claim, so you shouldn't. Let's say those who accept the claim are called Planeists. Those who don't accept this the claim are called Aplaneists. I'm assuming you fall into the Aplaneist category.

Do you accept the claim that there's definitely not exactly 100 planes at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean? There's no reason to accept the claim, so you shouldn't. Aplaneists can fall into this category, but they don't have to. I'm assuming you're an Aplaneists who doesn't assert that Planeists claims are false. Asking for atheists to prove the position of atheism is like asking an Aplaneist to prove the position of Aplaneism. Aplaneists aren't making a claim; they simply don't accept one specific claim.

Did this help?
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
matt.mcguire88
Posts: 1,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 9:56:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 10:26:41 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 7/2/2014 9:06:08 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
Make up your mind, do you believe in the fairy tale of Atheism or creationism lol?

Since when is; "there is no objective evidence for God, therefore I do not believe in God" a fairytale?

Fairytales commonly contain characters and beings which are devoid of evidence in the real world. Since no one seems to have any objective evidence for God, he fits the fairytale motif quite well, while atheism fits reasoned logic.

Well sure, however I was being silly but Atheism from the Christian perspective is not reality, it's not an insult though mainly because the "spirit" world or eternity is the larger reality, our physical existence is relatively small compared to it, to live as though God does not exist (If in fact He does) is to essentially be living in a state of fantasy, although I would use a different word.
I know your views about my beliefs and I know you're completely disgusted, unfortunately I can't change that.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2014 6:26:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/2/2014 7:48:15 PM, Zarroette wrote:
What is the proof and evidence that Atheism is accurate and correct? I don't get how Atheists can continue to claim that they have proven their Atheism. I mean, with Christianity, all you have to do is prove God (which has been done). But what do you prove with Atheism? I don't even know how any Atheist would be able to answer this question.

I honestly think it's silly to have faith in Atheism!!!

1. Occum's Razor
2. Lack of soundness of attributes' (paradox of the stone)
3. Substance dualism problems (interaction problem)
4. Lack of necessity of God for the origin of the universe (assuming God has a creator attribute)

More conditional arguments:

1. Problem of Evil (if God is omnibenevolent and omniscient)
2. Argument from perfection (if God is perfect)
3. Argument from the existence of non-deities
4. Modal arguments against God

The modal arguments are similar tot he ontological argument, except with much less controversial premises. The format is as follows:

P1. If God exists, then God necessarily exists (any possible world could not exist without God)
P2. If God necessarily exists, then P is impossible
P3. P is possible
C1. God does not necessarily exist (p2 and p3 modus tollens)
C2. God does not exist (from P1 and C1)

You can fill in p with any contradictory proposition to God. Such as gratuitous suffering (assuming God is benevolent), all minds are physically realised, there are no minds, an impotent creator exists, an unintelligent creator exists, etc.

You only need to argue that any one of these propositions is metaphysically possible in some world for it to work, though this assumes God is a necessary being modal arguments generally suck IMO though.