Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Atheism and Crime

lifemeansevolutionisgood
Posts: 551
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2014 12:11:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/7/2014 11:57:25 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Why are atheists so often criminals?

http://www.conservapedia.com...

Inb4 slighting conservapedia, it has sources..

So, out of all inmates that have their religious affiliation identified, the .7% of them being atheists means that atheists are often criminals?
http://www.patheos.com...

If 10% of the population is atheist, and less than 1% of the prison populations are atheists, then I say that the data shows that atheists are LESS likely to become criminals. Also, conservapedia is one of the most biased sources you can use. It tends to use quotes out of context A LOT.
SkepticalStardust
Posts: 117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2014 4:23:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/7/2014 11:57:25 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Why are atheists so often criminals?

http://www.conservapedia.com...

Inb4 slighting conservapedia, it has sources..

I don't know if this is true or not and I'm not near curious enough to search through links to find out. If it is, so what? It's irrelevant to the probability of the existence of god(s).

What other atheists believe and do doesn't effect what I believe and do. I don't necessarily share anything in common with any other atheists other than the rejection of the claim that a god or gods exist. I condemn the criminal actions of both atheists and theists equally.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 5:06:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/8/2014 12:11:34 AM, lifemeansevolutionisgood wrote:
At 7/7/2014 11:57:25 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Why are atheists so often criminals?

http://www.conservapedia.com...

Inb4 slighting conservapedia, it has sources..

So, out of all inmates that have their religious affiliation identified, the .7% of them being atheists means that atheists are often criminals?
http://www.patheos.com...

That atheshit data was compiled from a tiny source population. In reality more reasonable stats suggest 30% of criminals are atheistic.

If 10% of the population is atheist, and less than 1% of the prison populations are atheists, then I say that the data shows that atheists are LESS likely to become criminals. Also, conservapedia is one of the most biased sources you can use. It tends to use quotes out of context A LOT.

Patheos is also biased.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 5:08:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/8/2014 6:20:42 AM, Kerfluffer wrote:
This is just as silly as the sister topic, "Christianity and Crime".

Except my topic has a source, the sister topic is just a graph, and not even a well-done one.
lifemeansevolutionisgood
Posts: 551
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 7:28:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 5:06:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 7/8/2014 12:11:34 AM, lifemeansevolutionisgood wrote:
At 7/7/2014 11:57:25 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Why are atheists so often criminals?

http://www.conservapedia.com...

Inb4 slighting conservapedia, it has sources..

So, out of all inmates that have their religious affiliation identified, the .7% of them being atheists means that atheists are often criminals?
http://www.patheos.com...

That atheshit data was compiled from a tiny source population. In reality more reasonable stats suggest 30% of criminals are atheistic.

This data, which comes from the United States Department of Justice Federal Bureau of Prisons, used over a quarter million people. What "more reasonable stats" show any differently?

If 10% of the population is atheist, and less than 1% of the prison populations are atheists, then I say that the data shows that atheists are LESS likely to become criminals. Also, conservapedia is one of the most biased sources you can use. It tends to use quotes out of context A LOT.

Patheos is also biased.

Patheos is not that biased, and it is like a news article. I used it as a source so you could look at the different data from difference sources. I think that the Federal Bureau of Prisons is more reliable than conservapedia, a site that doesn't even try to hide its bias.
Praesentya
Posts: 195
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 8:34:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
That atheshit data was compiled from a tiny source population. In reality more reasonable stats suggest 30% of criminals are atheistic.

Even if that is correct, then atheists still constitute a lower percent of criminals than theists - thereby disproving your argument.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 12:26:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 7:28:00 AM, lifemeansevolutionisgood wrote:
At 7/10/2014 5:06:48 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 7/8/2014 12:11:34 AM, lifemeansevolutionisgood wrote:
At 7/7/2014 11:57:25 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Why are atheists so often criminals?

http://www.conservapedia.com...

Inb4 slighting conservapedia, it has sources..

So, out of all inmates that have their religious affiliation identified, the .7% of them being atheists means that atheists are often criminals?
http://www.patheos.com...

That atheshit data was compiled from a tiny source population. In reality more reasonable stats suggest 30% of criminals are atheistic.


This data, which comes from the United States Department of Justice Federal Bureau of Prisons, used over a quarter million people. What "more reasonable stats" show any differently?

If 10% of the population is atheist, and less than 1% of the prison populations are atheists, then I say that the data shows that atheists are LESS likely to become criminals. Also, conservapedia is one of the most biased sources you can use. It tends to use quotes out of context A LOT.

Patheos is also biased.

Patheos is not that biased, and it is like a news article. I used it as a source so you could look at the different data from difference sources. I think that the Federal Bureau of Prisons is more reliable than conservapedia, a site that doesn't even try to hide its bias.

A Patheos article by someone trying to shift his book on how dorito dust and fedoras turned him atheist is fuking biased, okay? Are you that stupid?
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 12:36:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 8:34:44 AM, Praesentya wrote:
That atheshit data was compiled from a tiny source population. In reality more reasonable stats suggest 30% of criminals are atheistic.

Even if that is correct, then atheists still constitute a lower percent of criminals than theists - thereby disproving your argument.

By the fact that they're a lower percentage of the population,right,

The only reason, and I'll say this carefully for all the idiots who want to argue this,that prisoners seem more religious is that they lie about being religious to chaplains. Every other measure of their religion shows atheists massively overrepresented in the prison population.
Fanath
Posts: 830
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 12:50:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/8/2014 6:20:42 AM, Kerfluffer wrote:
This is just as silly as the sister topic, "Christianity and Crime".

Christianity and crime is a parody of this lol.
Dude... Stop...
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 1:19:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 5:08:09 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 7/8/2014 6:20:42 AM, Kerfluffer wrote:
This is just as silly as the sister topic, "Christianity and Crime".

Except my topic has a source, the sister topic is just a graph, and not even a well-done one.

A source by modern day Nazis.
Praesentya
Posts: 195
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 4:03:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
By the fact that they're a lower percentage of the population,right,

The only reason, and I'll say this carefully for all the idiots who want to argue this,that prisoners seem more religious is that they lie about being religious to chaplains. Every other measure of their religion shows atheists massively overrepresented in the prison population.

^Please find a legitimate source to confirm any of that.
irreverent_god
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 6:18:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/7/2014 11:57:25 PM, Installgentoo babbled out the following nonsense:
Why are atheists so often criminals?

http://www.conservapedia.com...

Inb4 slighting conservapedia, it has sources..

Is there no bottom to your dishonest sea of stoopid?
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
buddha49er
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 7:57:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Anybody using Conservapedia doesn't deserve an ounce of thought put into a response. It'd be like using Natural News to prove vaccines are bad.

Here's my response to the OP: "No. Just no. Stop being intellectually dishonest."
Lordgrae
Posts: 666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 8:33:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/8/2014 12:11:34 AM, lifemeansevolutionisgood wrote:
At 7/7/2014 11:57:25 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Why are atheists so often criminals?

http://www.conservapedia.com...

Inb4 slighting conservapedia, it has sources..

So, out of all inmates that have their religious affiliation identified, the .7% of them being atheists means that atheists are often criminals?
http://www.patheos.com...

If 10% of the population is atheist, and less than 1% of the prison populations are atheists, then I say that the data shows that atheists are LESS likely to become criminals. Also, conservapedia is one of the most biased sources you can use. It tends to use quotes out of context A LOT.

Well, 5.5 percent are atheist or agnostic, with 2.4 being atheist. (Based on 2010 numbers, 2% ommited, and trends suggest a rise and atheism). So a decent estimate is about 6-7% of the general population. Granted your'e point is still completely valid, but certainly 10% of people are not atheist.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 9:55:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/7/2014 11:57:25 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Why are atheists so often criminals?

http://www.conservapedia.com...

Inb4 slighting conservapedia, it has sources..

So you've found a site which picks out 5 atheists who were criminals and on that basis, suggest that atheists are usually criminals?

Try a more honest methodology. For instance, the Federal Bureau of Prisons survey showed that the percentage of Christians in prison is the same as the percentage of Christians in free-society. By contrast, the percentage of atheists in prison is about 1/35th the percentage in free-society. So in actual statistics, Christians are about 35-times more likely to commit a serious criminal offense (per capita), than atheists.

We're not the criminals, the theists are.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 10:15:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 12:36:28 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 7/10/2014 8:34:44 AM, Praesentya wrote:
That atheshit data was compiled from a tiny source population. In reality more reasonable stats suggest 30% of criminals are atheistic.

Even if that is correct, then atheists still constitute a lower percent of criminals than theists - thereby disproving your argument.

By the fact that they're a lower percentage of the population,right,

The only reason, and I'll say this carefully for all the idiots who want to argue this,that prisoners seem more religious is that they lie about being religious to chaplains.
Easy to claim, impossible to support.

Every other measure of their religion shows atheists massively overrepresented in the prison population.
That pure bull and I think you know it.

Response...................Number %
---------------------------- --------
Catholic......................29267 - - 39.164%
Protestant..................26162 - - 35.008%
Muslim.........................5435 - - 7.273%
American Indian.........2408 - - 3.222%
Nation..........................1734 - - 2.320%
Rasta............................1485 - - 1.987%
Jewish...........................1325 - - 1.773%
Church of Christ..........1303 - - 1.744%
Pentecostal..................1093 - - 1.463%
Moorish........................1066 - - 1.426%
Buddhist.........................882 - - 1.180%
Jehovah Witness............665 - - 0.890%
Adventist........................621 - - 0.831%
Orthodox.......................375 - - 0.502%
Mormon........................298 - - 0.399%
Scientology....................190 - - 0.254%
Atheist............................156 - - 0.209%
Hindu..............................119 - - 0.159%
Santeria..........................117 - - 0.157%
Sikh...................................14 - - 0.019%
Bahai...................................9 - - 0.012%
Krishna................................7 - - 0.009%
---------------------------- --------
Total Known Responses 74731 100.001%

So here's the reality. Christians represent about 75% of the population in prison, and 75% in free society. Atheists represent 7 - 16% of free society (depending on the survey criteria used), and only 0.21% of the prison population. So if we use the lower 7% figure to represent atheist percentage in the free population, that gives us a 33.3:1 ratio for atheists. The ratio for Christians is 1:1. So that means Christians are 33-times more likely to engage in serious criminal activity than atheists. If we use the higher figure for atheists in free society, the news for Christians only gets worse.

http://www.holysmoke.org...

Now... one can certainly engage in conjecture about the number who may have lied or converted since going to prison. There there is simply no rational method to even try to suggest that Christians aren't many times more likely to engage in criminal activity than atheists.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire