Jump to topic:

Why are you afraid of death

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 1:57:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have no fear of dying and according to the terminally frightened I'm going to a fiery everlasting torture.
So why are some of those same judges so afraid of dying and going to an everlasting joy watching the likes of me, and their loved ones, writhing in agony?
Do they find it so hard to believe that they could spend eternity chanting god is great while watching their loved ones be tortured, or are they so afraid of that sin they forgot to confess and they'll find themselves with their loved ones in eternal torture?
Why are you believers so keen to stay alive? You should be welcoming death at it's earliest opportunity.

Exactly how could a believer be scared of death?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 5:30:39 PM
It's the same reason religious people still grieve over a loved one's (or even a complete stranger's) death....because deep down they don't really believe. At least, not for certain. If they genuinely believed a much better existence happens for them after death, then Christian funerals would be massive, happy parties
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 7:09:47 PM
At 7/9/2014 5:30:39 PM, Drayson wrote:
It's the same reason religious people still grieve over a loved one's (or even a complete stranger's) death....because deep down they don't really believe. At least, not for certain. If they genuinely believed a much better existence happens for them after death, then Christian funerals would be massive, happy parties

If I have my way, my funeral will be a party.

But you forget funerals are for the living. Not the Dead.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 7:17:37 PM

While its true that we all have doubt, and as a matter of fact its in my church's public confession, this isn't why I mourn.

I'm sure you've read or heard about Jesus crying when Lazarus died, right? Well the reason clearly wasn't because Jesus didn't believe or know if he would be in an after-life, because he resurrected him shortly after... it was because of what sin had done to his Father's creation. This is a feeling we all share with God, being created in his image.

While our feelings tend to be more selfishly inclined; for family, friends, loved ones, etc... it is, imo, founded in our likeness to God.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 7:31:17 PM
At 7/9/2014 1:57:18 PM, bulproof wrote:
I have no fear of dying and according to the terminally frightened I'm going to a fiery everlasting torture.
So why are some of those same judges so afraid of dying and going to an everlasting joy watching the likes of me, and their loved ones, writhing in agony?

Maybe its not death they fear.. but the pain that usually proceeds it. I'm not afraid to die, but this doesn't mean I'm gonna drive recklessly... I could just as easily kill someone else or crash and just get really F**kd up..

Do they find it so hard to believe that they could spend eternity chanting god is great while watching their loved ones be tortured, or are they so afraid of that sin they forgot to confess and they'll find themselves with their loved ones in eternal torture?

This could be true of some as well..

Why are you believers so keen to stay alive? You should be welcoming death at it's earliest opportunity.

Because we are still in love with the world and our lives in it.

Also, our belief is rather weak... If you've heard the scripture saying something like: if you have faith the size of a mustard seed you could command a mountain to move.

I haven't seen this happen lately so it leads me to realize my faith/belief sorta sucks.. lol
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 8:25:48 PM

Our true existence is vibrations so we never die. Death is only an illusion but since we're only information ( vibrations ), we won't remember living in this first age. In the next age, we won't ever die so we'll remain the same perspective for eternity but with an infinite amount of new experiences that will make life very exciting.

I can't wait to die because I know how we'll be experiencing life in the next age.
skinker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 10:48:00 PM
Yeah, but you're selfish and don't even care about your own family, bornagain, as you've posted many a time that you will be happy to see them burned to crisps.

Fear of death is inherent in most every living creature on earth. Of course we fear death as all living things do who want to stay alive and that's most all living things. We don't know the future and therefore must trust our beliefs about an afterlife and we know we are human beings highly subject to errs in thinking and not knowing about things too, like the afterlife, only hints about it from n.d.e.s. I believe in them, in an afterlife, but I am sane enough to know I don't know about an afterlife for sure. I only Believe I know enough to feel secure in my own passing. Actually, there comes a point in time where you have lost too much and just want to go Home..that's where we're going in my belief in the afterlife, going Home..
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 11:37:06 PM
At 7/9/2014 8:25:48 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Our true existence is vibrations so we never die. Death is only an illusion but since we're only information ( vibrations ), we won't remember living in this first age. In the next age, we won't ever die so we'll remain the same perspective for eternity but with an infinite amount of new experiences that will make life very exciting.

I can't wait to die because I know how we'll be experiencing life in the next age.

You can't wait to die - but the fact is that you are waiting. What are you going to do when "that day" comes? Are you going to go to the community center and simply await your fate?

Another thing: what are you going to do when that day comes and goes - and you aren't dead?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 12:17:31 PM

First of all, it's perfectly natural and human to be afraid of death, but it's true that Christians ought to look forward to death.

Those who die without Christ will spend eternity in Hell, but those who die with Christ will be with Christ in Heaven for eternity.

Therefore, those who are without Christ have every reason to fear death, and they do, but they often suppress it.
And Hell will be packed full of religious people who did not know Christ, so those people ought to fear death as well.

But those who DO have Christ OUGHT NOT to fear death, but ought to welcome it with open arms.
And, ultmately, we do. We celebrate that fact all the time.
Every true Gospel preacher frequently reminds the congregation of that fact.
And believers in Christ meditate on that truth.
And we need that constant reminder because the natural weakness of the flesh still makes us fearful of death at times.

Finally, what unbelievers don't understand about life is that it's a gift from God, and that it's an honor and a privilege to live in this world and serve others where God has placed us, for the glory of God.
And so, although believers long to be with Christ in heaven, they still count it a blessing to be alive in this world.

The apostle Paul said:
"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell.
I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.
Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again."

You see, that is the disposition of all true believers in Christ.
"To live is Christ, but to die is gain."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 9:30:05 AM
At 7/9/2014 11:37:06 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 7/9/2014 8:25:48 PM, bornofgod wrote:

You can't wait to die - but the fact is that you are waiting. What are you going to do when "that day" comes? Are you going to go to the community center and simply await your fate?

Another thing: what are you going to do when that day comes and goes - and you aren't dead?

I won't be dead on the day that most people believe I'm dead. I'll be waking up in my new body to be used by our Creator to form a new language for His people to speak to each other in Paradise. This is something that no Christian understands. They would rather talk about the evil things that are happening in this world and all the false gods and deities they worship here.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 10:01:33 AM
If someone seeks to live, even beyond the grave, then it could be they value life. And it"s quite obvious that existence is for the living, not the dead. Hence to lose what is valued maybe what is feared more then how did you put it, eternal torture. In the case of Christianity, the faith is in the resurrection is to the believer, which means to return to the place of the living, which so happens to be here in the world for mankind.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 10:21:42 AM
At 7/9/2014 7:09:47 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

If I have my way, my funeral will be a party.

But you forget funerals are for the living. Not the Dead.

Mhykiel is definitely not a Catholic. ;-)
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 10:48:46 AM
The natural state of our being is to be an embodied soul or an ensouled body (take your pick). Our souls have never known existence separated from our bodies. As this is not our natural state, there is an innate desire for the two to remain joined.

Though I can fully believe in the here after does not mean that I am able to fully overcome the natural desire of my soul to remain united with my body. Just like I can know that going on the roller coaster is perfectly safe, does not mean I can overcome my natural fears while on it.