Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

why christianity and not hinduism?vice versa?

steffon66
Posts: 240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 10:25:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
my question is why believe in the christian god and not another god? or if your not a christian why believe in your god instead of another? what is unique about your god that you cant find with any other possible god? i would say if you dont have a reason for believing in your god and for not believing in other gods then dont post but then nobody would post so go nuts.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 10:58:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 10:25:48 AM, steffon66 wrote:
what is unique about your god that you cant find with any other possible god?

My God humbled himself to become human and to offer himself up in love to pay for my transgressions.

I cannot find that in another faith.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 11:03:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 10:25:48 AM, steffon66 wrote:
my question is why believe in the christian god and not another god?

What if I told you I believed in the Christianity? And Hinduism? And Islam? And Zoroastrianism?

I believe that the major world religions all come from the same God, and that these religions are used to advance humanity forward.
andymcstab
Posts: 308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 11:07:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 10:25:48 AM, steffon66 wrote:
my question is why believe in the christian god and not another god? or if your not a christian why believe in your god instead of another? what is unique about your god that you cant find with any other possible god? i would say if you dont have a reason for believing in your god and for not believing in other gods then dont post but then nobody would post so go nuts.

Many reasons. Such as:
Explanatory power. (Only the Abrahamic Gods are the necessarily existing prime mover which created the universe etc)

Evidence. (Jesus is far better documented and witnessed than other gods and to the likes of Mohammed who had influence due to being a warlord and never performed any miracle)

Coherency (of the scripture, doctrines and the God itself)

Moral resonance. (Jesus' teachings resonate as true whereas Jews copulate with the wailing wall, Muslims die expecting 72 virgins, Buddhists lives are irrelevant as they have infinite reincarnations to acheive dharma, etc )

Fulfillment of prophecy. (Ie that Christs words would spread the whole world over)

Fruits of the faith. (Is the religion beneficial for yourself and the world at large)

You have to recognize that there will be copies of anything legitimate which holds value, so many false religions and fake gods are expected. If you are interested in finding the truth then you must have discernment and make honest investigation. It is lazy and intellectually dishonest to just ignore looking into the question of God because there are so many different claims. This is just an excuse for people who would rather there is no God.
steffon66
Posts: 240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 11:22:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 11:07:21 AM, andymcstab wrote:

Many reasons. Such as:
Explanatory power. (Only the Abrahamic Gods are the necessarily existing prime mover which created the universe etc)

Evidence. (Jesus is far better documented and witnessed than other gods and to the likes of Mohammed who had influence due to being a warlord and never performed any miracle)

Coherency (of the scripture, doctrines and the God itself)

Moral resonance. (Jesus' teachings resonate as true whereas Jews copulate with the wailing wall, Muslims die expecting 72 virgins, Buddhists lives are irrelevant as they have infinite reincarnations to acheive dharma, etc )

Fulfillment of prophecy. (Ie that Christs words would spread the whole world over)

Fruits of the faith. (Is the religion beneficial for yourself and the world at large)

You have to recognize that there will be copies of anything legitimate which holds value, so many false religions and fake gods are expected. If you are interested in finding the truth then you must have discernment and make honest investigation. It is lazy and intellectually dishonest to just ignore looking into the question of God because there are so many different claims. This is just an excuse for people who would rather there is no God.

just because someone doesnt believe in god doesnt mean they havent looked into it. some might argue that if we had a god he would have to be bad given the horrible things that we go through and if someone made it possible for us to go through these things by setting up our nerves and brains to where we could feel great pain then this god isnt worth worshiping. there are many legit reasons to believe that there is no god. i have looked into it and im not impressed with any of the arguments for the existence of god. as for your evidence. jesus was witnessed by more people. lol the only difference between jesus and other so called saviors is that jesus had a better pr guy. there were over 3000 historians who lived in the meditaranian during the time of jesus and none of them heard about jesus. only the biblical historians heard about jesus. not to mention nothing was written about jesus until 40 years after he supposedly dies so all this "evidence" for jesus is just hearsay. one error that you have made is that you somehow believe that one of them has to be true and no matter how big the lack of evidence is you believe that one of them has to be true so the one with the most evidence must be true and this is false. if god was real why wouldnt he prove his existence to us and teach us about right and wrong instead of letting so many people suffer because most people dont know right from wrong?
steffon66
Posts: 240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 11:25:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 11:03:20 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 7/10/2014 10:25:48 AM, steffon66 wrote:
my question is why believe in the christian god and not another god?

What if I told you I believed in the Christianity? And Hinduism? And Islam? And Zoroastrianism?
then i would tell you that you have contradicting beliefs because these religions contradict each other.
I believe that the major world religions all come from the same God, and that these religions are used to advance humanity forward.
if they were all from god there wouldnt be several religions they would all be the same. a perfect god wouldnt contradict himself to cause conflict and controversy in our world like your religions do. you sir are an idiot.
matt.mcguire88
Posts: 1,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 11:57:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
For starters there are clear differences between the "Christian" God and the concept of God in Buddhism and Hinduism. They're not all just the same. So there is some deciding factors.
It depends greatly on why and for what reasons a person decides to embrace a belief. There is tradition, in which someone simply adopts what their family and culture believes. There is influence, in which a person may hear and witness a teaching or teacher and adopt that system. There is conviction, in which a person has a sort of instinct or perception or even a "feeling" in which they choose to follow. There are philosophical reasons in which a person may pursue that may be more sound in concept and idea. There are of course theoretical reasons in which someone may feel one concept is much stronger in structure and foundation. There are also individual reasons, which in case someone may just simply prefer one over the other maybe for no precise reasoning.

To me IMO the concepts of God are clear and distinct in Christianity, yeah there are unfortunately many "denominations" but the central idea and concepts of God are generally alike such as "Jesus Christ" was God in the flesh, or God is "personal with qualities", the idea of God through scripture is pretty firm other than a few debatable aspects. For example no one would debate that the God in the Bible expresses "desires" and or "feelings" bearing the image that God is a Being/Person hood.

On the other hand in Hinduism and Buddhism the concepts of God are extremely vague and are drastically different from one sect to another. For example in Hinduism God could be either "personal or impersonal" depending upon which sect. Much of Buddhism rejects the idea of any "creator diety" leaving the pursuit and concept of God empty and generally pointless, for example they focus more on nature and self perceptions. This to me leaves the Christian God as unique offering something that the others can't especially in terms of what Christ did, in this case there is something "to be found" that you can't find in other possible gods.
Another aspect to consider is that in Christianity there are aspects that are offered in the "lifestyle" of living a Christian life that makes it separate from other beliefs. I'm not aware of anything to "find" from God in Hinduism and Buddhism, again bearing a unique difference in beliefs and concepts. For example in the Bible we are told "seek and you will find", "seek God and His righteousness and all the things will be added unto you" and "God is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him". Those are precise and distinct qualities about the nature and desire of the Biblical God that stands out.
And no, I'm not saying that because their concepts of God are weak that it rules them out, rather just things to think about or consider, although I'm sure you made this thread to make a point rather than looking for an answer lol.
SemperVI
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 12:08:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 10:25:48 AM, steffon66 wrote:
my question is why believe in the christian god and not another god? or if your not a christian why believe in your god instead of another? what is unique about your god that you cant find with any other possible god? i would say if you dont have a reason for believing in your god and for not believing in other gods then dont post but then nobody would post so go nuts.

I believe that for the most part it is a matter of what the individual feels comfortable with, what they are familiar with. Unfortunately, people have a habit of taking ownership of "their" God. They do not like another defining "their" God outside the scope of a religion they practice and dogma they believe in. In short, this view of God they have is not an opinion - it is as much a fact to them as is gravity. It is this bias that does not allow some to respect another's definition and interpretation of God.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 12:16:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 11:25:46 AM, steffon66 wrote:

then i would tell you that you have contradicting beliefs because these religions contradict each other.

How do they contradict one another? I'm willing to answer any supposed contradictions you raise.


if they were all from god there wouldnt be several religions they would all be the same.

That's not true. When you go to school, you constantly get different teachers and different material. Does that mean the different material and the different teacher is wrong? No. It's a learning process. It adds on to what you learned previously.


a perfect god wouldnt contradict himself to cause conflict and controversy in our world like your religions do. you sir are an idiot.

Nice to meet you, too.
steffon66
Posts: 240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 12:26:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 12:16:46 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 7/10/2014 11:25:46 AM, steffon66 wrote:

then i would tell you that you have contradicting beliefs because these religions contradict each other.

How do they contradict one another? I'm willing to answer any supposed contradictions you raise.


if they were all from god there wouldnt be several religions they would all be the same.

That's not true. When you go to school, you constantly get different teachers and different material. Does that mean the different material and the different teacher is wrong? No. It's a learning process. It adds on to what you learned previously.


a perfect god wouldnt contradict himself to cause conflict and controversy in our world like your religions do. you sir are an idiot.

Nice to meet you, too.
so you actually believe that every religion in the world is consistant with every other religion? wow... how bout budda and jesus. one claims there is no god while one claims hes the son of god. each god claims to be the one true god so if one is the one true god all others are false. they cant all be the one true god. the creation stories are different. the hindu religion claims that we will be reincarnated on another planet while christianity says that we will die and go to the afterlife. hinduism says there are multiple gods while christianity says there is only one god. how the hel* do these not contradict each other? and your analogy with different teachers is stupid. the teachers dont contradict each other religions do. our different teachers dont cause us controversy and conflict religion does. your an idiot and im not
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 2:30:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 12:26:00 PM, steffon66 wrote:

so you actually believe that every religion in the world is consistant with every other religion?

All the major world religions. There may be variations in them. There may be differences. But the purpose of religion is to advance humanity in a spiritual manner. Different stories and metaphors will be told for that age of humans, depending on how advanced they are and how ready they are to receive the messages.


wow... how bout budda and jesus. one claims there is no god while one claims hes the son of god.

I have not seen the Buddha stating such things. Instead, I know that in Buddhism, it is stated belief in God is irrelevant to the achievement of Nirvana. Indeed, Buddhism never seems to have anything concrete on the existence of God. From my brief research on the web, however, I know of one passage where it is suggestive that God may exist (The Buddha, Udana 8:3), but that's all.


each god claims to be the one true god so if one is the one true god all others are false.

Unless they're all the same God.


they cant all be the one true god. the creation stories are different. the hindu religion claims that we will be reincarnated on another planet while christianity says that we will die and go to the afterlife.

On another planet? I don't think so. Anyway, in the Bhagavad-gita, there is a verse that says:

"As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body, from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death. A sober person is not bewildered by such a change."

Notice how it is not necessarily a body that exists on this earth that the soul passes on to. It appears that this is simply an interpretation that many believers have chosen to take. There is a next world, and our spirits will move on to that world with a different kind of body. This does not contradict Christian teachings.


hinduism says there are multiple gods while christianity says there is only one god.

Hinduism believes in the many incarnations of one God. Ultimately, there is a single God, but this God has avatars that represent him (e.g. Krishna). This does not contradict the teachings of Christianity.


how the hel* do these not contradict each other? and your analogy with different teachers is stupid. the teachers dont contradict each other religions do. our different teachers dont cause us controversy and conflict religion does.

When you first learned about negative numbers under square roots, your teachers told you it was impossible, or they evaded the topic, telling you not to worry about it. Years later, you'd learn that it is possible with the aid of the imaginary number i. Why did they deceive you?

Because you weren't at that level yet. It may seem like a contradiction, but it really isn't. It's the same when kids first learn about negative numbers. It's completely revolutionary to them. The teachers never even told them about it, yet here they are. And even though it's entirely different than what you learned last year, and your teachers last year never uttered a word of it to you, that doesn't mean they lied or that it's wrong. It's simply how the school system is. We don't hand calculus problems to first graders, and God doesn't give us messages we aren't ready for.
steffon66
Posts: 240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 3:29:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
well you know a lot about this stuff. but hinduism says we will be reincarnated and christianity doesnt. the moralities with these religions are different so theres a contradiction and i highly doubt that gods word would cause wars like religion has done. your educated but i dont think your very smart. religious pluralism is retarded and there is no way that all these religions are from god. if they were from god they would all be the same. your analogy with the different teachers doesnt fit this situation at all. with our different teachers they are teaching different aspects of one curriculum while with religions they are like completely different curriculums teaching things that contradict other curriculums. not all religions are true and buddha most certainly did say that there wasnt a god though there are a few forms of buddhism that say there are gods.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 3:41:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 3:29:04 PM, steffon66 wrote:
well you know a lot about this stuff. but hinduism says we will be reincarnated and christianity doesnt.

I addressed this earlier. There is no contradiction from this matter.


the moralities with these religions are different so theres a contradiction

Moralities from the religions? The only contradictions you have brought up have been of those concerning the existence of God and reincarnation. These are not concerned with the specific moralities of religion.

In fact, simple investigation into each religion will reveal something that actually isn't very surprising. They all teach spiritual qualities such as love, compassion, truthfulness, kindness, steadfastness, determination, humbleness, and so on. It is incredibly easy to draw parallels among religions, as these are the very fundamental bases of all the religions.

Further investigation will bring further proof that the religions are connected. Traditional proofs from holy books can be used, or perhaps prophecies that predict one Manifestation of God can be used to validate his status.


and i highly doubt that gods word would cause wars like religion has done. your educated but i dont think your very smart. religious pluralism is retarded and there is no way that all these religions are from god. if they were from god they would all be the same. your analogy with the different teachers doesnt fit this situation at all. with our different teachers they are teaching different aspects of one curriculum while with religions they are like completely different curriculums teaching things that contradict other curriculums. not all religions are true

Again, religions teach very similar 'curriculums'. Certainly, one may state that you cannot eat beef, while another may allow it. Another may state that you cannot consume alcohol, while another permits it. These supposed contradictions, however, are meaningless, as they do not detract from the fundamental teachings of each religion and are subject to the cultural norms of the humans of that day and age.

One teacher may give a certain method for multiplication. Another may give an entirely different method, but both are right. They are different ways of teaching the same thing.

Likewise, while one religion may allow alcohol but prohibit beef, and another is the exact opposite, the same situation occurs. They are different methods, but they both teach something important, such as self-control or obedience.


and buddha most certainly did say that there wasnt a god though there are a few forms of buddhism that say there are gods.

Well, I'd love to see where he said that. I haven't found anything where he conclusively states that there is or isn't a God.
steffon66
Posts: 240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 9:36:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 10:58:25 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 7/10/2014 10:25:48 AM, steffon66 wrote:
what is unique about your god that you cant find with any other possible god?

My God humbled himself to become human and to offer himself up in love to pay for my transgressions.

I cannot find that in another faith.

so what im hearing is that you have no reason to believe in a religion. what the religion claims isnt evidence of its truthfulness. so your basically telling me youll believe in any religion as long as it says god became a person and went through what we go through. thats pathetic. people like you are the scum of the earth and people like you are the reason so many horrible things happen because youll believe whatever your leaders tell you and youll think whatever they tell you is right is right. youll act on little or no reason. fuc* you
Geogeer
Posts: 4,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 9:45:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 9:36:59 PM, steffon66 wrote:
At 7/10/2014 10:58:25 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 7/10/2014 10:25:48 AM, steffon66 wrote:
what is unique about your god that you cant find with any other possible god?

My God humbled himself to become human and to offer himself up in love to pay for my transgressions.

I cannot find that in another faith.

so what im hearing is that you have no reason to believe in a religion. what the religion claims isnt evidence of its truthfulness. so your basically telling me youll believe in any religion as long as it says god became a person and went through what we go through. thats pathetic. people like you are the scum of the earth and people like you are the reason so many horrible things happen because youll believe whatever your leaders tell you and youll think whatever they tell you is right is right. youll act on little or no reason. fuc* you

No, I gave you a simple answer waiting to see if you had additional questions that i would fill in additional information with or whether you were the angry atheist type. You have just confirmed that I was right not to waste any more time on my answer.
steffon66
Posts: 240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 10:59:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/10/2014 9:45:50 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 7/10/2014 9:36:59 PM, steffon66 wrote:
At 7/10/2014 10:58:25 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 7/10/2014 10:25:48 AM, steffon66 wrote:
what is unique about your god that you cant find with any other possible god?

My God humbled himself to become human and to offer himself up in love to pay for my transgressions.

I cannot find that in another faith.

so what im hearing is that you have no reason to believe in a religion. what the religion claims isnt evidence of its truthfulness. so your basically telling me youll believe in any religion as long as it says god became a person and went through what we go through. thats pathetic. people like you are the scum of the earth and people like you are the reason so many horrible things happen because youll believe whatever your leaders tell you and youll think whatever they tell you is right is right. youll act on little or no reason. fuc* you

No, I gave you a simple answer waiting to see if you had additional questions that i would fill in additional information with or whether you were the angry atheist type. You have just confirmed that I was right not to waste any more time on my answer.

and if i wasnt the angry atheist type then you would have looked stupid. ok dude. good luck with your limited thinking abilities