Jump to topic:

Provide some benefits religion offers.

heisnotrisen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 2:03:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am curious as to what advantageous potential religion possesses for humans. Either the practice of religion, or conceptually.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 2:42:50 AM
At 7/12/2014 2:03:47 AM, heisnotrisen wrote:
I am curious as to what advantageous potential religion possesses for humans. Either the practice of religion, or conceptually.
It provides the perfect solution for all egoists and greedy people that lust for rewards especially of the divine kind as proposed in a Story book, and all one has to do is make believe, throw reality and rationality out of the window and your selfish fantasies will be assured, at least in your own imaginations!
Dwint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 3:53:11 AM
If you live by the rules of a religion, you will be constantly told that you are good, and you are doing god's work and you will go to heaven and god will love you and so on. That's a great ego boost.
Hitchens is the way!
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 4:30:29 AM

Well, it provides us with a moral compass. Obviously such a compass may be flawed, but I can understand that that may be of use to some people.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 4:34:48 AM

Community, comfort.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 5:47:51 AM

Our conceptions of God can provide us with a characterization of a collection of ideals that we can then use as a model for ourselves.

Our conceptions of God as being positively and benevolently manifested through the nature of existence can give us courage, strength, and hope throughout the course of our lives, that we would not otherwise have.

The positive effect of our conceptions of God, on us, will in turn effect others in a positive way, increasing the well being of everyone.

Our conceptions of God can broaden our minds and hearts so as to see ourselves as just one among many human beings, all of equal value. Thereby increasing our empathy with others and our sense of social responsibility.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 6:50:29 AM
At 7/12/2014 4:30:29 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Well, it provides us with a moral compass. Obviously such a compass may be flawed, but I can understand that that may be of use to some people.

Yep the compass points to infanticide in the bible, maybe it's Moloch they are worshiping in the bible.
irreverent_god
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 8:57:09 AM
At 7/12/2014 4:30:29 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

May be flawed? If it came from your gawd, how could it be flawed?
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 9:18:52 AM

A basis for rights.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 9:22:24 AM
At 7/12/2014 9:18:52 AM, Geogeer wrote:

A basis for rights.

Let me see.
Bash the babies heads against the rocks, rip the baby from the womb. (paraphrased)

To whose rights do you refer??
skinker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 9:37:05 AM
Troll, grow up or go away with your garbage mouth posts. You're an infant who is crazied with a need to post your infant babble in public everyday for public recognition of what? What are we to recognize? Someone with too much time on his hands who's never grown up mentally and hounds adults with his juvenile behavior to get attention like a bad little boy..

No Trolls Allowed. So done it be written. So let it so...whatever..
skinker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 9:43:59 AM
At 7/12/2014 9:22:24 AM, bulproof wrote:

A basis for rights.

Let me see.
Bash the babies heads against the rocks, rip the baby from the womb. (paraphrased)

This is Noise, bullshite. Your posts are nothing but background Noise because they're all the same, same taking OT social terrorist ideology 3000 years old as if it were current Christian or Jewish behavior. Only the Muslims are acting out OT violent lunacy these days, the rest of us have grown up. You should try it. Growing up. And stop baby posts cherry picking using passe, outdated historical relics as if they were current today for rational believers. You never take on us Gnostic Christians because you can't win any debate with us using your Bible verses or your irrational atheist religious belief system.
debateuser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 10:11:55 AM

Slavery . hahahhaaa
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
doncaresomuch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 4:55:55 PM
At 7/12/2014 9:43:59 AM, skinker wrote:
At 7/12/2014 9:22:24 AM, bulproof wrote:

A basis for rights.

Let me see.

This is Noise, bullshite. Your posts are nothing but background Noise because they're all the same, same taking OT social terrorist ideology 3000 years old as if it were current Christian or Jewish behavior. Only the Muslims are acting out OT violent lunacy these days, the rest of us have grown up. You should try it. Growing up. And stop baby posts cherry picking using passe, outdated historical relics as if they were current today for rational believers. You never take on us Gnostic Christians because you can't win any debate with us using your Bible verses or your irrational atheist religious belief system.

Its odd you believe only the muslims act out of violent lunacy. I mean, out of the broad spectrum of people of this faith, only a small amount actually do this. The same applies to all religions, not only muslims. And thinking that atheists are irrational is rediculous considering thats exactly the way most feel about many religious beliefs.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 9:29:27 PM

I suppose when we were starting to nation build, it made the people complacent and helped to establish an absolute monarchy. So, for a while, a necessary evil for us to advance.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 3:04:36 AM

Love, joy, peace ---The FRUITS of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22)...the more spirit a person has, the more love, joy, and peace the person will have. In the Church a person can receive the "Gift of the Holy Ghost", which allows the spirit to be with them at all times --so long as the person lives worthy of that companionship.

Knowledge & Personal Revelation: You can know where you came from, why you are here on Earth, and where you are going after this life. A person can know what the signs of the times are, can know of prophesies that have been fulfilled as well as prophesies that will be revealed later. A person can know which Church is God's Church. A person can know who the living prophet is and who the true apostles are.

Salvation (avoiding hell)--having sins forgiven through the Atonement of Jesus Christ rather that suffer for the sins yourself. Salvation in the highest degree of the highest kingdom of glory is also possible for those who qualify for it.

Eternal Life/ Eternal Progression

Eternal sealing covenants -- which can bind families together forever.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 4:28:28 PM

I would argue that there are benefits, like a sense of purpose, a community and a feeling of belonging, however while these are all positive things, religion doesn't have a monopoly on them.

None of these positives depend on belief in a god. You can find purpose and meaning in life and find a community and sense of belonging without religion and all its dogma.

There's nothing positive that only religion can provide.