Jump to topic:

Bible Translation

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 3:06:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Truth Seeker and I have been discussing what we have in common, and we discovered something interesting. He knows Biblical Hebrew and I know Biblical Greek. So we will be posting verses from time to time and translate them for your perusal. We request that you refrain from any unnecessary ridicule, but we will be more than happy to have a thoughtful discussion with you! Enjoy!
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 3:27:34 PM
Koine Greek

This verse is a part of the story of the Samaritan Woman. This is where Jesus meets up with a woman at a well and they have a discussion. The woman said that she is waiting for the Messiah, when Jesus says this verse.

Greek letters are transliterated to reflect the sounds.
Kata Ioannayn 4:26
"legei autay ha Iaysous, Ego eimi, ha lalohn soi."

Translation:
John 4:26
"Jesus said to her, "I AM, the one speaking to you."

Literally, the Greek says "He said to her, the Jesus, "I I am the one speaking to you."

This is a really awkward construction in either language. The ego intensifies the strength of the "I am". It also hearkens back to where God told Moses that his name was "I AM that I AM." Essentially in this verse, Jesus is claiming to be God. The Samaritan woman understood his meaning and went to declare who he was all over the town.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 3:32:57 PM
At 7/12/2014 3:06:56 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Truth Seeker and I have been discussing what we have in common, and we discovered something interesting. He knows Biblical Hebrew and I know Biblical Greek. So we will be posting verses from time to time and translate them for your perusal. We request that you refrain from any unnecessary ridicule, but we will be more than happy to have a thoughtful discussion with you! Enjoy!

Sounds like an awesome idea!!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 3:35:21 PM
At 7/12/2014 3:32:57 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Sounds like an awesome idea!!

It was actually Truth-Seeker's idea!

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 3:37:17 PM
At 7/12/2014 3:27:34 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Koine Greek

This verse is a part of the story of the Samaritan Woman. This is where Jesus meets up with a woman at a well and they have a discussion. The woman said that she is waiting for the Messiah, when Jesus says this verse.

Translation:

Literally, the Greek says "He said to her, the Jesus, "I I am the one speaking to you."

This is a really awkward construction in either language. The ego intensifies the strength of the "I am". It also hearkens back to where God told Moses that his name was "I AM that I AM." Essentially in this verse, Jesus is claiming to be God. The Samaritan woman understood his meaning and went to declare who he was all over the town.

I realize you can't be translating from ancient manuscripts, but where does your Greek NT come from? Educate me on the source, please.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 3:43:26 PM
At 7/12/2014 3:37:17 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Koine Greek

Translation:

I realize you can't be translating from ancient manuscripts, but where does your Greek NT come from? Educate me on the source, please.

I am using the Fourth Revised edition by a group of scholar and is basically a combination of majority texts. It cites disagreement and shows the extent of the differences between them. Does that answer your question?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 3:47:07 PM
At 7/12/2014 3:43:26 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Koine Greek

Translation:

I am using the Fourth Revised edition by a group of scholar and is basically a combination of majority texts. It cites disagreement and shows the extent of the differences between them. Does that answer your question?
It's in cooperation with the Institute for New Testament Textual Research.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 3:50:52 PM
Koine Greek

Translation:

Yes, I personally would be interested in differences between verses you translate as well. Hopefully, that is not too demanding for your volunteer work. :-)

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 3:53:33 PM
At 7/12/2014 3:50:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Koine Greek

Translation:

Yes, I personally would be interested in differences between verses you translate as well. Hopefully, that is not too demanding for your volunteer work. :-)

This particular verse does not have any variations cited, but I will let you know when that happens and explain the impact on what it means.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 4:01:35 PM
At 7/12/2014 3:53:33 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Koine Greek

Translation:

This particular verse does not have any variations cited, but I will let you know when that happens and explain the impact on what it means.

Thank you!

mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 4:10:17 PM
At 7/12/2014 4:01:35 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/12/2014 3:53:33 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Koine Greek

Translation:

Thank you!

No problem!

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 6:30:12 PM
Exodus: Sh'mot or "Names"

Interestingly, in Exodus 3:14, we find the nature of God

"And God said to Moses "I AM THAT I AM" and he said "Tell the children of Israel that I AM sent me to you.."

Hebrew: Va'yomer Elohim el Moshe "Ehyeh asher ehyeh" va'yomer Kah tomer l'bene Yisrael Ehyeh shalachni alekem

In Hebrew, the verb is before the subject. There is a letter known as vav which when prefixed to a verb or noun becomes "and."

Elohim is the name for God (plural) "el" is "to" Moshe (Moses) The verb "Hayah" in Hebrew means "was or to be." This same verb is also used in God's command "Let there be light." The aleph or the 1st letter of the Hebrew alephbet when prefixed to a verb makes it in this case imperfect 1st person. "Asher" means "which or that." God was essentially saying "I WILL BE ALL THAT I WILL BE." Kah means "here." The tav when prefixed to a verb is imperfect 2nd person "you will say." Lamed when prefixed to "sons or children" or bene is "to" Yisrael (Israel). Shalach is "send" and "ni" with yod is me. Al is "to" as well. The prefix "kem" is another suffix identifying the subject as 2nd person.

Jesus was essentially saying that God and he were one in the same eternally existing!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 6:36:40 PM

The religious Greeks and Hebrews had no idea who our Creator was either, except for God's chosen saints and believers that He used to testify to His invisible Word.

You can teach in any language but if you don't know our invisible Creator, you will not be speaking for Him.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 7:19:49 PM
At 7/12/2014 6:36:40 PM, bornofgod wrote:

The religious Greeks and Hebrews had no idea who our Creator was either, except for God's chosen saints and believers that He used to testify to His invisible Word.

You can teach in any language but if you don't know our invisible Creator, you will not be speaking for Him.

You are right. We are Christians, if that is what you are wondering.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 11:43:44 PM
At 7/12/2014 7:19:49 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Christians are nothing but sinners who have no idea who our Creator is. Christians do NOT obey God's commandments because they can't.

1 John 2:
3: And by this we may be sure that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4: He who says "I know him" but disobeys his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

1 John 5:
2: By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments.
3: For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.
18: We know that any one born of God does not sin, but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 11:48:19 PM
At 7/12/2014 11:43:44 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Christians are nothing but sinners who have no idea who our Creator is. Christians do NOT obey God's commandments because they can't.

1 John 2:
4: He who says "I know him" but disobeys his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

1 John 5:
2: By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments.
3: For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.
18: We know that any one born of God does not sin, but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.

But....

2 Corinthians 5:21 (ESV)
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

We cannot keep all the commandments, but Jesus did, and his righteousness is imputed to us.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 11:55:34 PM
At 7/12/2014 11:48:19 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

1 John 2:

1 John 5:

But....

For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

We cannot keep all the commandments, but Jesus did, and his righteousness is imputed to us.

It's impossible for our flesh to be made sinless because it's of this world. It's our spirit that can't sin because it obeys God's commandments at all times.

Christians have never understood the difference between the flesh and the spirit of man. That's why they keep talking about flesh stuff instead of spiritual things that no man can see.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 11:56:52 PM
At 7/12/2014 11:55:34 PM, bornofgod wrote:

1 John 2:

1 John 5:

But....

It's impossible for our flesh to be made sinless because it's of this world. It's our spirit that can't sin because it obeys God's commandments at all times.

Christians have never understood the difference between the flesh and the spirit of man. That's why they keep talking about flesh stuff instead of spiritual things that no man can see.

What do you want to accomplish by telling me this?

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 12:01:23 AM
At 7/12/2014 11:56:52 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

1 John 2:

1 John 5:

But....

I'm here to find God's believers who listen to His voice in my testimonies. You see, I was created as the invisible voice of God and have the mind of God to speak with.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 12:10:10 AM
At 7/13/2014 12:01:23 AM, bornofgod wrote:

1 John 2:

1 John 5:

But....

I'm here to find God's believers who listen to His voice in my testimonies. You see, I was created as the invisible voice of God and have the mind of God to speak with.

Yes you do have his mind, but I don't recognize the voice. Call me apostate if you wish, but I don't think what you are saying totally lines up with God's heart.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 12:13:22 AM
At 7/13/2014 12:10:10 AM, mishapqueen wrote:

1 John 2:

1 John 5:

But....

Yes you do have his mind, but I don't recognize the voice. Call me apostate if you wish, but I don't think what you are saying totally lines up with God's heart.

Very few of God's believers are Christians. Most of them are prostitutes, thieves, drug addicts, alcoholics, and people who have been rejected by the self righteous Christians in their communities.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 12:26:58 AM
At 7/13/2014 12:13:22 AM, bornofgod wrote:

1 John 2:

1 John 5:

But....

Very few of God's believers are Christians. Most of them are prostitutes, thieves, drug addicts, alcoholics, and people who have been rejected by the self righteous Christians in their communities.

I still don't understand what you want from me.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 12:32:53 AM
At 7/13/2014 12:26:58 AM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 7/13/2014 12:13:22 AM, bornofgod wrote:

1 John 2:

1 John 5:

But....

I still don't understand what you want from me.

If you're a true believer, you will read my testimonies and hear our Creator speak to your spirit.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 5:29:01 PM
Next Greek verse: Matthew 14:27

Context:
The disciples were on the sea of Galilee when they suddenly see Jesus walking on the water towards them. They become terrified because they think he is a ghost. But Jesus says:

"euthus de elalaysen ha Iaysous autois legohn, "Tharseite, ego eimi: may phobeisthe."

Transliteration:

"But suddenly, spoke the Jesus to them, saying, "Be courageous, I AM, do not fear!"

Putting it into normal English,

"But suddenly, Jesus spoke to them, saying "Be courageous, I AM he, do not fear!"

Now, you will notice that I (along with many other versions) add a "he" into the sentence. That is because English speakers don't have a construction like Greek does that designates God. The disciple's minds would have immediately flashed back to Truth-Seeker's post on the I AM, or God. However an English reader would think " I am what? a ghost?" That is why the "he" is added and the I AM is capitalized; to alert the reader of the construction and the meaning of the Greek words. Jesus is saying here that the disciples don't have to be afraid because he is God, and therefore, all-powerful. That is also the reason that Christians never have to be afraid. Jesus is Emmanuel, God with us.

Textual note: There are no discrepancies cited for this verse. The only thing of interest text wise is "ha Iaysous" is in brackets. This is possibly implying it was not originally there, but it agreed to be accurate. The reason why this is not a big deal is the context establishes that Jesus is what this sentence is about. Also, if you take "ha Iaysous" out of the sentence, it still means the same thing. It would say:

"But suddenly, he spoke to them, saying........"

This particular "he" is built into the verb so I don't need to italicize it. As you can see, it does not change the meaning or intent of the sentence at all. So this is only a minor point.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 5:47:00 PM
At 7/13/2014 5:29:01 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Context:
The disciples were on the sea of Galilee when they suddenly see Jesus walking on the water towards them. They become terrified because they think he is a ghost. But Jesus says:

"euthus de elalaysen ha Iaysous autois legohn, "Tharseite, ego eimi: may phobeisthe."

Transliteration:

"But suddenly, spoke the Jesus to them, saying, "Be courageous, I AM, do not fear!"

"But suddenly, Jesus spoke to them, saying "Be courageous, I AM he, do not fear!"

Now, you will notice that I (along with many other versions) add a "he" into the sentence. That is because English speakers don't have a construction like Greek does that designates God. The disciple's minds would have immediately flashed back to Truth-Seeker's post on the I AM, or God. However an English reader would think " I am what? a ghost?" That is why the "he" is added and the I AM is capitalized; to alert the reader of the construction and the meaning of the Greek words. Jesus is saying here that the disciples don't have to be afraid because he is God, and therefore, all-powerful. That is also the reason that Christians never have to be afraid. Jesus is Emmanuel, God with us.

Textual note: There are no discrepancies cited for this verse. The only thing of interest text wise is "ha Iaysous" is in brackets. This is possibly implying it was not originally there, but it agreed to be accurate. The reason why this is not a big deal is the context establishes that Jesus is what this sentence is about. Also, if you take "ha Iaysous" out of the sentence, it still means the same thing. It would say:

This particular "he" is built into the verb so I don't need to italicize it. As you can see, it does not change the meaning or intent of the sentence at all. So this is only a minor point.

Are you trying to say that "I AM" is the correct translation of ego eimi in Matt 14: 27? That's how it appears.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 5:51:46 PM
At 7/13/2014 5:47:00 PM, annanicole wrote:

Context:

Transliteration:

Are you trying to say that "I AM" is the correct translation of ego eimi in Matt 14: 27? That's how it appears.

Technically, yes. But adding the "he" is justified.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 6:41:10 PM
At 7/13/2014 5:51:46 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

Context:

Transliteration:

Yes, or if perceived as responding to a question, real or implied, "It is I." It's still going to be first person singular, although the third person is used in interrogatories or replies to interrogatories.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 10:39:02 PM
At 7/13/2014 6:41:10 PM, annanicole wrote:

Context:

Transliteration:

Yes, or if perceived as responding to a question, real or implied, "It is I." It's still going to be first person singular, although the third person is used in interrogatories or replies to interrogatories.

Literally, ego eimi means I myself am. It would have to be ego estin in order to translate it "It is I" and still be correct. The 3rd person singular is just added for clarification purposes only.

--Joey

Nunc aut Numquam
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 11:02:58 PM
At 7/13/2014 10:39:02 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 7/13/2014 6:41:10 PM, annanicole wrote:

Context:

Transliteration:

Literally, ego eimi means I myself am. It would have to be ego estin in order to translate it "It is I" and still be correct. The 3rd person singular is just added for clarification purposes only.

Certainly ego eimi is always literally rendered as I am. That's the ultraliteral meaning. However, there is no single English equivalent for every possible usage of ego eimi. In certain interrogatories, ego eimi may even be accurately rendered "I have been" or "Have I been". In answering interrogatories, one may switch the third person verb, "I is", i. e. "It is I." The same holds true with perceived interrogatories and even explanations, as in Luke 24: 39.

As far as plain, straight-forward declaratives, I can think of no instance in which ego eimi would not be rendered as "I am". These are the type of statements that would connect with the "I AM" of the OT, e. g. John 8: 58.