Jump to topic:

Did my opponent damn himself?

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 11:02:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
(please no "God isn't real" type answers)

I recently had a debate against a baptist preacher (he insists all Bible translations other than the King James are false witness etc). During the debate he began editing the bible to say things not normally present in what he was quoting.

For example, John 3:16 states "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." But that did not fit the resolution, so my opponent claims it ends with "He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. God loves everybody the same, (John 3:16)" [sic, with the questionable words underlined].

Consider that Revelation 22:18 states "every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book" has my opponent just sinned in this way, damning himself to diseases either in this life or eternally in the next?

Depending on the answers to this, I also have a related question pertaining to Revelation 22:19.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 12:05:50 AM
At 7/12/2014 11:02:15 PM, Ragnar wrote:

I recently had a debate against a baptist preacher (he insists all Bible translations other than the King James are false witness etc). During the debate he began editing the bible to say things not normally present in what he was quoting.

For example, John 3:16 states "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." But that did not fit the resolution, so my opponent claims it ends with "He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. God loves everybody the same, (John 3:16)" [sic, with the questionable words underlined].

Consider that Revelation 22:18 states "every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book" has my opponent just sinned in this way, damning himself to diseases either in this life or eternally in the next?

Depending on the answers to this, I also have a related question pertaining to Revelation 22:19.

No Christian knows that the new testament was produced by false prophets and antichrists who had no idea who God was. They mixed their religious ideas with a few ideas they stole from the saints gospel and ended up with the new testament that has deceived every single person who has ever read it.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 12:24:45 AM

The verse from Revelation was referring to the book of Revelation, not the Bible as a whole. So, your opponent is not damned for that particular infraction, unless you want to consider the "false witness he was bearing" and the penalty of sin associated with it.

Also, I am not a Bible scholar, but I hope this is helpful.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 3:06:06 AM
At 7/13/2014 12:24:45 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

The verse from Revelation was referring to the book of Revelation, not the Bible as a whole. So, your opponent is not damned for that particular infraction, unless you want to consider the "false witness he was bearing" and the penalty of sin associated with it.

I would agree, the verse says "this" book referencing Revelations. There are many other warnings against adding to the word of God. In fact a study of Genesis and the conversation between Eve and the snake is a good example, of how adding to God's word can lead to trouble. God said do not eat of the tree, you will surely die. Eve told the snake God said do not touch.

Genesis 3:1 ..."And he(snake) said to the woman, "Indeed, has God said, 'You shall not eat from any tree of the garden '?

Genesis 3:3 Eve says, "but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.'"

But like I said many other warnings about adding to, or taking from the words spoken by God. http://www.openbible.info...

What is tough to say, is if the additional words were added as commentary and not quoting of scripture. I suspect the words were added to clarify his position about the meaning, like a commentary or summation, not as God said those things.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 4:16:07 AM
At 7/13/2014 3:06:06 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/13/2014 12:24:45 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

I would agree, the verse says "this" book referencing Revelations. There are many other warnings against adding to the word of God. In fact a study of Genesis and the conversation between Eve and the snake is a good example, of how adding to God's word can lead to trouble. God said do not eat of the tree, you will surely die. Eve told the snake God said do not touch.

Genesis 3:1 ..."And he(snake) said to the woman, "Indeed, has God said, 'You shall not eat from any tree of the garden '?

Genesis 3:3 Eve says, "but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.'"

But like I said many other warnings about adding to, or taking from the words spoken by God. http://www.openbible.info...

What is tough to say, is if the additional words were added as commentary and not quoting of scripture. I suspect the words were added to clarify his position about the meaning, like a commentary or summation, not as God said those things.

I thought the same thing M, but after reading the debate, it does appear he is stating this as part of the verse. It could be a misunderstanding, but Rangar's opponent never clarified after Con pointed this out.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 12:07:05 PM
At 7/13/2014 12:05:50 AM, bornofgod wrote:

No Christian knows that the new testament was produced by false prophets and antichrists who had no idea who God was. They mixed their religious ideas with a few ideas they stole from the saints gospel and ended up with the new testament that has deceived every single person who has ever read it.

So do you never quote from the New Testament?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 12:02:52 AM
At 7/13/2014 12:07:05 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

So do you never quote from the New Testament?

I never quote from the Bible when I preach to God's believers in the streets of Campbell, CA. where I've been preaching for God since July 24th, 2011. Preaching the gospel for God means that I'm speaking for Him.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 9:01:24 AM
Thank you Skepticalone and Mhykiel, that was very informative. If I ever end up in a debate like that again, I will be sure to use that link to make a much better case against people editing the bible to fit their whims.

No Christian knows that the new testament was produced by false prophets
As you just stated no Christian knows something which you clearly seem to know, you cannot be Christian, so which religion are you?

Plus what (if anything) does your post have to do with the questions at hand?

bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 12:51:43 PM
At 7/14/2014 9:01:24 AM, Ragnar wrote:
Thank you Skepticalone and Mhykiel, that was very informative. If I ever end up in a debate like that again, I will be sure to use that link to make a much better case against people editing the bible to fit their whims.

No Christian knows that the new testament was produced by false prophets
As you just stated no Christian knows something which you clearly seem to know, you cannot be Christian, so which religion are you?

Plus what (if anything) does your post have to do with the questions at hand?

I am of no religion. I was created as the voice of our Creator who knows the past, present and future. Christians believe they are speaking for our Creator but they are all imposters.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 1:50:02 PM
While I applaud the troll for originality, I suggest everyone ignore him.